As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That one bonus episode of Totally Reprise was great, it's the [PODCAT]woman Thread

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    don't drive in extreme pain unless you don't have a choice.

when I first got that stone I should have just called the ambulance. I could barely see from the pain of it.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    In an actual production you can kind of just go with the flow a lot easier than reading the play. You won't get get every bit of minutiae in the words may and miss out on clever details, but you'll probably be able to follow all the important stuff

Yeah this is why I really want to see some productions rather than read more of the texts.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    hey Straightzi. if I see any one Shakespeare play in my life which one should it be?

If you're just going to see one...

A good production of Romeo and Juliet can show a lot of Shakespeare's range, but good productions of R&J are few and far between.

Maybe The Tempest? It's probably my favorite of his comedies, all told, and does a good job of the classic intertwining plots thing. It's got some problematic stuff, but it can also be wielded nicely to directly showcase some of that problematic stuff, in the right hands.

Or if you want a tragedy, probably Othello. It's a nice straightforward tragedy, it's still super relevant in the modern day, and while Iago has wheels within wheels going on, his monologues tend to explain a whole lot of that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You should see Corlioanus cause of anus

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    hey Straightzi. if I see any one Shakespeare play in my life which one should it be?

A good production of Romeo and Juliet can show a lot of Shakespeare's range, but good productions of R&J are few and far between.

Maybe The Tempest? It's probably my favorite of his comedies, all told, and does a good job of the classic intertwining plots thing. It's got some problematic stuff, but it can also be wielded nicely to directly showcase some of that problematic stuff, in the right hands.

Or if you want a tragedy, probably Othello. It's a nice straightforward tragedy, it's still super relevant in the modern day, and while Iago has wheels within wheels going on, his monologues tend to explain a whole lot of that.

hopefully I get the chance to see more than one obviously but like. I dunno any companies in the area that put them on so who knows when I'll get the chance.

I've heard good things about Othello yeah. I might jump on one of that if I can.

any good film adaptations of any of those?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    In an actual production you can kind of just go with the flow a lot easier than reading the play. You won't get get every bit of minutiae in the words may and miss out on clever details, but you'll probably be able to follow all the important stuff

Yeah, there are three people translating a production of Shakespeare - the dramaturg, the director, and the actor (some productions don't have a dedicated dramaturg, but that work is still being done, generally by the director)

Of course, there's a lot of translator strength issues there, as with any translation, and those three roles might oppose one another at varying points in time

But part of the reason I'm opposed to translating Shakespeare is because it's already being done

• Options

hopefully I get the chance to see more than one obviously but like. I dunno any companies in the area that put them on so who knows when I'll get the chance.

I've heard good things about Othello yeah. I might jump on one of that if I can.

any good film adaptations of any of those?

No.

But that's me being real curmudgeonly about filmed plays. I tend to prefer modernizations and inspired bys and stuff like that over actual filmed adaptations of Shakespeare. In which case O is a very good film adaptation of Othello.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    My reaction when I last watched Romeo and Juliet was that, huh, this sure gets touted as the greatest love story a lot, but really it's about how teenagers are real fuckin dumb

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    My reaction when I last watched Romeo and Juliet was that, huh, this sure gets touted as the greatest love story a lot, but really it's about how teenagers are real fuckin dumb

yknow what they say: horny will fuck you up

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I missed a production of the tempest at university of toledo this past April! :bigfrown:

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    But tragically horny.

• Options

Yeah it's super not a love story

I mean Romeo and Juliet both have some great soliloquys about love and longing, and if you take those out of the context of the show, you can sort of see it

But there are much more interesting interpretations of it than focusing on the whole star-crossed lovers bit

• Options
    I'm looking though local theaters seasons.

no Shakespeare.

les miss will be at one in spring though. I might get that ticket.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    REDACTED

Hobnail on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hey guys I have a really clever and unique take on Les Miserables you wanna hear it?

The way to be "less miserable" is to not watch that play hahahahaha

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Seriously though I really don't like Les Mis at all

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I haven't been to a live theater show since middle school. I kinda just want to see something.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Little Shop of Horrors is the best musical

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a production of Titus Andronicus tonight

I know only two things about Titus: murder, and puns about murder

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    "Les Miserables" is the name of your shitty balding uncle who you tolerate because he has a lake house

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Little Shop of Horrors is the best musical

Oh man that was in town in 2017 I think.

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

Titus kicks ass. I played Chiron once, it was fun as hell.

Like, in actuality it's a kind of weak show with some very confusing mixed messages, but modern theatre companies are generally pretty good at resolving those issues with buckets of fake blood.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

Like, in actuality it's a kind of weak show with some very confusing mixed messages, but modern theatre companies are generally pretty good at resolving those issues with buckets of fake blood.

the company I'm seeing generally does good work but they also work VERY cheap

I don't know if I'm going to get the Dario Argento levels of hideous violence I want

• Options

the company I'm seeing generally does good work but they also work VERY cheap

I don't know if I'm going to get the Dario Argento levels of hideous violence I want

That's a shame.

The company I worked with was weak in a lot of ways (like liability insurance!), but it was also partially run by a professor of theatrical makeup, so we had some absolutely gnarly stuff going on. Lots of blood packs, of course, but also some really good handmade prosthetics for the various limbs that get chopped off, and a special rig for torturing two of the characters to death on stage - essentially all of the restraints were fitting with tubing that someone backstage could pump blood through.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    As far as stage productions go, I don't get out to see them very often

My wife and I saw Hamilton this past 4th of July, though, that was great!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I wish Hamilton would come to toledo

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Woooooo, got me some MBMBAM and TAZ tickets for Seattle next month!

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I know twitter inlines aren't working but you really should click this

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ahahaha that austin walker

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I wish Hamilton would come to toledo

just you wait*

you're young enough that you'll have plenty of opportunities to see Hamilton nearby and affordably in your lifetime, just have to wait until it makes its way out of the early stages of a hyper-popular musical

*sorry I can't help myself

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    speaking of classics you don't like

I don't like the Beatles

like, at all

their songs are middling at best and actively unpleasant at worst

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    are we doing hot takes?

nirvana was bad.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    ahahaha that austin walker

If I were him, I would be VERY offended at being depicted as Yamcha.

Sprout on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    NO MORE HOT TAKES

that's one lesson I've learned all too well

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the hottest takes of all are the friendships we make

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    let us instead practice our hot gives

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    let us instead practice our hot gives

ew

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    are hot gives hot takes except it's a thing you like instead of a completely unnecessary tear down? 'cause that sounds better

• Options
    I have slowly come to realize Vinny is a horrific food monster

Eating a raw onion like an apple is fucking horrifying

Also eating an apple core is like actually dangerous isn't it?

• Options
    my mom eats bell peppers raw

that's probably the grossest thing I ever saw a family member do

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.