As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also the map and candle are some of the best trinkets.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I have an extra Kickstarter artbook. If anyone wants it, and lives in the 48 non pita states of USA to ship to, give me a PM.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Are there any drawbacks in running lower level dungeons over and over again?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Eventually you level out of them

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Eventually you level out of them

“That challenge is beneath me.”

Oh? This place that led you to drink yourself stupid for a week and left you terrified of the dark and with an obsession with dead things?

That place is too easy, oh. Gotcha.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    It would be, by the time they refuse to go.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    It would be, by the time they refuse to go.

Whose side are you on man

Give a broken old man-at-arms a freaking break

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    In the basic difficulty there is no penalty for sending waves of disposable mooks into easy dungeons then killing retiring them. Also you can cutoff a lot of the annoying things like corpses and enemies calling in reinforcements. For a first run it makes things much easier and flattens out the learning wall a little bit.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sometimes I read the patch notes and think this game is pretty good guys maybe you should stop fucking with it

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Sometimes I read the patch notes and think this game is pretty good guys maybe you should stop fucking with it

What'd they do?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Nerf heros buff enemies. The last patch I read doubled stacking stun resist made a lot of abilities limited use and reduced the amount of stress healing everything could do. Reduced virtue chance. Increased penalties for stalling. Now you can only stalk against three guys without penalty.

I just. It’s still a challenging game even without all that but it is fun to turn the corner and be able to beat the game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    They just nerfed crit builds after buffing them last patch and needed endless builds to make them less endless

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I started playing this again and decided to read a guide to get a little more insight into making successful groups. If what this guy says is true, then I'm really turned off of the game right now. I'm unfortunately one of those people that feels the need to optimize, and so finding out something like my Crusader being sub-optimal in every circumstance to the Leper really takes the wind out of my sales.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Wait, really? That's kind of hilarious- I stopped using Lepers completely after my last playthrough, because mine hit like a truck, but absolutely *never* when they really, really needed to

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh yeah, Murphy's law is hard coded into the game imo. But that being said +Acc trinkets and buffs do much more for the Leper teams than for the Crusader. And while you could make the argument that you could also use trinkets & buffs to increase the Crusader's damage, they're much more efficient on the Leper. So on average he does more damage and also you can raise that average damage much more efficiently.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I started playing this again and decided to read a guide to get a little more insight into making successful groups. If what this guy says is true, then I'm really turned off of the game right now. I'm unfortunately one of those people that feels the need to optimize, and so finding out something like my Crusader being sub-optimal in every circumstance to the Leper really takes the wind out of my sales.

It’s not true, so don’t worry about it.

• Options
    But he did math! And I’m easily impressed by such feats.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Crusaders are wildly versatile and lepers do one thing kind of ok kind of

• Options
    The second anyone has the ability to shuffle the Leper into the back two rows, he's immediately more of a liability than a party member

I mean, that's not an ideal situation for most heroes, but he has *absolutely* nothing to do about it. Between more missed turns in the back row and more missed shots (at least the clutch shots, the ones that actually matter) than any other class, at least in my experience, it's the one hero I currently have nothing to do with. My Hamlet shuns them with great prejudice

• Options
    The sustain on them used to be amazing before they nerfed it. In certain missions they were amazing.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Fuck the leper.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I booted it up the other day, read the patch notes, then uninstalled it

They should've started working on a new game rather than continuing to change their current one

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fuck the leper.

Granted, I'm no leprosy-ologist, but that seems like a potentially bad idea for all parties involved.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Fuck the leper.

Granted, I'm no leprosy-ologist, but that seems like a potentially bad idea for all parties involved.

I am not usually one to do this but leperdopterist was right there.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Bought this some time back and just loaded it up on a whim. Seems pretty solid, but am I wrong in thinking this looks really really grindy?

I've only got five hours into and I feel like I've got a completely solid grasp of the game mechanics, and unlocking all the hamlet upgrades and leveling up characters seems like massive overkill in getting the player to grind things out. Am I wrong in this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on the game, it just seems like the sort of thing that will take a couple of dozen hours of gameplay that's too repetitive for me to enjoy for that long.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yes, the basic mode takes forever and ever to win. There's the Radiant "easy" mode (which isn't much easier, just less grindy) which still takes like 60 hours if you are new to the game. And every time your high level party gets wiped it just adds to the duration of the game. I loved the basic idea and the early game but I never got anywhere with the last dungeon.

• Options
    I have been putting some more time into this myself and yeah you are looking at a serious time investment. I am at week 92 on the base difficulty and it still takes 30 to 45 minutes to clear a long dungeon. But it is not like there is any mechanical skill involved so you can put the game down for a few weeks or a month or two and come back just as good as before.

How do people do runs with no Vestal or Occultist? I have yet to try it because it seems like a disaster waiting to happen and why risk it. I also usually bring a jester which means I have 2/4 members of my party locked in every time. It works, I rarely lose people, but it seems like other people have success with other setups as well.

• Options
    There are apparently some mods to speed up the combat animations. Saw some streamers using it. Although I'm not sure how much it actually helps

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I have been putting some more time into this myself and yeah you are looking at a serious time investment. I am at week 92 on the base difficulty and it still takes 30 to 45 minutes to clear a long dungeon. But it is not like there is any mechanical skill involved so you can put the game down for a few weeks or a month or two and come back just as good as before.

How do people do runs with no Vestal or Occultist? I have yet to try it because it seems like a disaster waiting to happen and why risk it. I also usually bring a jester which means I have 2/4 members of my party locked in every time. It works, I rarely lose people, but it seems like other people have success with other setups as well.

Even on higher difficulty dungeons you can get away with no healer for short runs, with the right comp. But the medium and long ones the RNG has more chances to fuck you over so you'll probably want a healer to mitigate that somewhat. You can run without one and rely on luck and camps to get by, but there isn't really much by way of reward for the risk.

• Options
    I have to admit that was and still is one of my biggest complaints, the length of involvement. I think if I really put the effort in and optimized it could be streamlined significantly but it involves more dedication than I can put forth right now.

Supposedly that Lord of the undead game is supposed to take the DD model and improve it in that regard however I'll believe it when I see it

• Options
    First, I think medium is actually easier than short because of the huge bonuses and healing that camping can give you.

As far as healerless, you used to be able to get really good sustain on several characters but the developers nerfed this in a patch along with stuns and stalling because their design calls for you to be dying early and often.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    First, I think medium is actually easier than short because of the huge bonuses and healing that camping can give you.

As far as healerless, you used to be able to get really good sustain on several characters but the developers nerfed this in a patch along with stuns and stalling because their design calls for you to be dying early and often.

Thankfully that patch has not yet hit consoles, although it does mean I am still locked out of a Vestal /abomination combo. Lots of very strange decisions in those recent patches. I think seeing people show how easy you can make the game with the right setup must have embarrassed the devs or something.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I think seeing people show how easy you can make the game with the right setup must have embarrassed the devs or something.

Yes, this has been the case since DD was in Beta. All it takes is a couple of Youtube videos to lead the devs to make massive changes in difficulty.

• Options
    I'll occasionally go in without proper healers- I'm rocking an Arbalest with bandages and a Plague Doctor for my current Medium Ruins expedition. Granted, it's by the skin of their teeth, every battle is a puzzle box to jam in as many heals as possible before killing everyone, and the front row is calorie cramming in between most battles, but it's definitely doable with enough proper offense

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I think seeing people show how easy you can make the game with the right setup must have embarrassed the devs or something.

Yes, this has been the case since DD was in Beta. All it takes is a couple of Youtube videos to lead the devs to make massive changes in difficulty.

I thought in the beta things were so stacked against the player they had to buff everything? I was not participating in it so I only kinda remember and that may be incorrect

• Options
    Apparently at one point you could stall against even a single monster indefinitely.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    They've made some good moves to kill stalling tactics, but I'm on the record as saying they fuck around with things too frequently and too much. I'm at peace with the idea that Darkest Dungeon isn't necessarily a perfectly balanced game (which is impossible). I don't really like coming back to it after a few months to discover that massive changes have been made to the way all my teams work, for about the seventh time.

• Options
    At a certain point I think you should just go "ok guys, this is the game" and a player should expect that the game will stay relatively similar to the one they bought.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I don't mind their having anti-stall mechanics... I mind more that the mechanic is opaque as hell. Like, you can still stall against certain enemies, but not others, etc.. The various "balancing" mechanics they added were pretty patchwork and it shows.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    At a certain point I think you should just go "ok guys, this is the game" and a player should expect that the game will stay relatively similar to the one they bought.

Indeed, there's a point when you have to say that you are going to make changes to balance by adding new things. So like, if the Man at Arms is MASSIVELY op in all the dungeons, then add some new quests which contain monsters which make him scared. Add some background objects that give people buffs but he can't get any use from and so on. Stop changing old stuff, start changing new stuff.

Even changing the item lineup can swing things around.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln