As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just not getting how the weapons work, but daggers seem to actually be the longest-range melee weapon in the game because of how Cassandra lunges forward with each hit? Seems backward.

Also: I just hit level 30 and just discovered there is a light attack. 33 HOURS AND I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A LIGHT ATTACK.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Melee range for the weapons is more about where she ends up after the attack then how far away you can hit from. I suck at parrying (why is it two buttons?) so dodging is what I mostly do, and if I use a dagger or sword I get hit a lot more because I don't have as much space.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I really like daggers for stun locking dudes with tonnes of quick attacks. It helps that I got that kickass Poison damage one from a merc, but still. My other weapon is a huge mace for hitting folk out of the stadium with, covers all the bases.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I hate the enemies that have all of a quarter second of a window to parry. I've had to learn to anticipate based on how they're moving, although that's probably intended. Usually each mob type has a relatively simple pattern to their attacks once you figure it out. Also, I maxed out my poison so it has no cooldown, but now I also have an engraving to turn any weapon into poison type...hmmm.

I'm not hunter spec, but I hit 38 and just went ahead and finished the hunt quests. Fun! Also, I really like the hero spear attack at 3 levels. Just a cool sequence of moves. And if you finish off one with the second hit, she sometimes wastes another guy with the 3rd move.

as for the hunts:
    That boar that would charge and fart poison clouds was super gross and kind of funny. You bastard.

As for the story, I'm level 40 and:
    I've only just now met Kassandra's mother. That and Phoebe's death were pretty emotional moments. I think I saw reviews saying the story wasn't that good but that's not my experience so far. Pretty good! All depends on the ending I guess.

I think instead of continuing the story when I next log on I'm going to kill the
    minotaur!
    instead. Hoping that has a cool reward, beyond fighting it which I am also into.

I'm guessing it will probably be very late game, but I hope there's a precursor armor set in this one. I loved Evie's from Syndicate because it kind of broke the animus and looked all glitchy.

soylenth on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m definitely going to play as Kassandra when I get this, but based on what I’ve seen of the other guy it would be kind of fun to play him as this dopey idiot savant.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Ubisoft have detailed what will change in the Assassins Creed 3 remaster. The usual UHD resolution and HDR support and better textures and character models, but also a new lighting system and denser crowds and environments. They're also 'reworking some systems', whatever that ends up meaning. Also it will additionally have the Assassins Creed Liberation HD remaster with it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It seems you don't need all 5 pieces of Legendary gear for it to level with you. I have 4 pieces of Agamemnons armour and it all leveled to 22 when I reached 23.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It seems you don't need all 5 pieces of Legendary gear for it to level with you. I have 4 pieces of Agamemnons armour and it all leveled to 22 when I reached 23.

The set only levels itself once, it'll never automatically scale with your levels beyond that.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Has anyone done all the story stuff on Mykonos/Delos? I've got a question about the romance option there.
    Is it possible to end up with both Kyra and Thelatos? I was hitting on both of them up until the point you get Goddess of the Hunt and Hearts of War, which is each of their romance quests. Doing one causes the other to disappear though. Which is what I would figure, except for a dialogue option with Thelatos during Paint the Sand Red that suggests the three of you all give it a go.

Either way I liked those islands a lot, the quests were fun the characters were neat and the writing was very sweet.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Oh god who thought this platforming section was a good idea. Janky-ass parkour controls and no way to save mid-way + ten minutes per attempt plus another minute of load time is terrible design.

I might just quit at this stage, this is awful.

Spaffy on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    How do you get the female crew for your ship?

Also I want the Qin unification of china period for a setting. Big battles, factions, colourful flags!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Prohass wrote: »

Also I want the Qin unification of china period for a setting. Big battles, factions, colourful flags!

You can get one from the uplay club, otherwise there's shipwrecks around the ocean. Search those for crew skins and other cosmetic ship bits. (Or just google which locations have what)

Personally I want, Japan. Desperately. Nobunaga or after his death, around that period.

Otherwise, Rome during the punic wars or focused in Europe during Caesar's campaigns or reign.

Alexander the great's campaign would be awesome too.

Edit: I kind of sub-consciously went with periods that work with ship management and a mercenary character. Though I must say I wish I could manage my own mercenary band and the battles were fleshed out a bit. Odyssey is like an egg of perfection in my view that just needs a bit more.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Indian subcontinent. Or pre-1492 Mesoamerica.

• Options
    I do hope they stick with the choice of characters going forward. Kassandra is so cool and I don't think I'd of enjoyed the game nearly as much without her.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Speaking of choice: anybody pick the horse not on the left? What are their names?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    It's like The Witcher. All the horses are Phobos.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Indian subcontinent. Or pre-1492 Mesoamerica.

I am so into this. It doesn’t matter what region they pick, I would play the absolute shit out of that game.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    So much for choices mattering

*uninstalls*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Complete the legendary beast hunt line and the resulting finale.

• Options
    re: my previous question about romance on the Silver Islands, it seems like that's not an option no. I did several reloads and tried different combinations of quests and dialogue options but it doesn't seem to be in there. Shame. I did at least get the happiest ending on my first try though so that's good.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    This game doesn't mess around about not being seen. Getting Marcos' vineyard burned if you're seen stealing the eye wasn't particularly well implemented so it didn't stick but

Temple of Apollo:
    seeing the Pythia get tortured because I was seen gong into her house. :( I felt especially bad because i took the option to have Kassandra threaten her when she wouldn't tell me about the cult.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of Redboxing Odyssey yesterday. Mistake, because having to give it back today sucked. This might be the first game I buy not on sale in... well I can't remember when.

It may seem like a small thing but the facial expressions alone are gold. I'm sure you've all been over the scene a hundred times by now and I don't think it's really a spoiler but just in case:
    Cyclops' reaction to Kassandra's creative storage space for his eye had me laughing so much I had to pause. And then save the replay clip and show it to my fiancee who now wants to play the game herself. And this is just the beginning of the game!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Carpy wrote: »
    This game doesn't mess around about not being seen. Getting Marcos' vineyard burned if you're seen stealing the eye wasn't particularly well implemented so it didn't stick but

Temple of Apollo:
    seeing the Pythia get tortured because I was seen gong into her house. :( I felt especially bad because i took the option to have Kassandra threaten her when she wouldn't tell me about the cult.

I do like that quests take these things into account and it applies the whole game through.

It's unfortunate because when I'm told not to be seen I seem to become a bumbling idiot.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Options
    The game's also not shy about taking a thing you've done and waiting hours to show you the result. It very much wants you to live with your decisions.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of Redboxing Odyssey yesterday. Mistake, because having to give it back today sucked. This might be the first game I buy not on sale in... well I can't remember when.

It may seem like a small thing but the facial expressions alone are gold. I'm sure you've all been over the scene a hundred times by now and I don't think it's really a spoiler but just in case:
    Cyclops' reaction to Kassandra's creative storage space for his eye had me laughing so much I had to pause. And then save the replay clip and show it to my fiancee who now wants to play the game herself. And this is just the beginning of the game!

Protip: if you 3 day Redbox it at midnight you get it for 4 days for only $7. I rented it twice for 8 days....and stilll only halfway through!

• Options
    Mid-game spoilery question
    Is the plague in Athens a direct result of my choice to let the family on Kephalonia go free? Or would Athens have got the plague?

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Spaffy, I
    let them die and the plague still happened

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Mid-game spoilery question
    Is the plague in Athens a direct result of my choice to let the family on Kephalonia go free? Or would Athens have got the plague?
    That plague happens regardless, historically it actually happened.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Regarding the end of the Athens quest line
    I didn’t think they’d go there again after that shock quest end in Origins :(

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm running through the Gates of Atlantis quest and I can't find the thing on Kythera. I'm working my way through side-missions on the island, hoping it leads me to the thing I need because I ran all over that place and found no trace of the artifact or pedestal like in Boetia.

Also
    Pythagoras is a dick

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm running through the Gates of Atlantis quest and I can't find the thing on Kythera. I'm working my way through side-missions on the island, hoping it leads me to the thing I need because I ran all over that place and found no trace of the artifact or pedestal like in Boetia.

Also
    Pythagoras is a dick
    It's a "Man of god" or some such, you'll be tasked with rescuing a person who the quest giver claims is a god. It'll make some sense why you didn't find any trace of it after that quest.

• Options
    I got all five of Theseus' armor and didn't get anything for wearing them all at once so I think there isn't anything. They're just ugly with bad stats.

I didn't even bother wearing them for that quest.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Down to 9 or so cultists left, including the inner ring. I think I know who the main one is. Pushed the plot forward last night after spending the past week monkeying around. Kassandra has the full wonder woman suit now, although I'm actually using different pieces from different sets plus a really nice set of epic bracers.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Fair warning: if you find the cultist crew for your ship while exploring underwater, don’t go near it in the menu, their description is a fairly massive (if somewhat obvious after a certain point) spoiler

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    Just got into the Project Stream beta. I like the 30 minutes or so of Odyssey I played so far. Graphics look incredible. My only complaint at the moment is that parry is both shoulder buttons.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    The game's also not shy about taking a thing you've done and waiting hours to show you the result. It very much wants you to live with your decisions.

Yeah, i couldn't
    convince lagos to defect because i hadn't killed the monger quietly hours and hours earlier, even though I saved his family....it felt fair though.

I'm kinda playing kassandra goodish neutral, which the game allows, but doesn't seem to love. Occassionally I get the impression it wants me to commit to a life of villainy or sainthood.

Also, for female crew, you get a set in ellis after the questline there (which is a main story quest), and you can get female assassins from the uplay club rewards.

Although the ellis crew is mostly naked, male or female, which is very silly. I don't care what you did in a previous life, on THIS ship we keep our tops on. Except for parties.

soylenth on
  • Options
    I think when you get the cultist set you also get a set of heavily armored ladies, who aren't cultists. That's the one i'm using now. They look pretty awesome.

Still just have the eagle sail and figurehead though because why would I change from those?

• Options
    I am looking forward to the artemis crew, but I'm still too low to finish the final quest stage, even though I've done the hunts.

I randomly killed an epic ship last night and got the sparrow sails and i really like the octopus figurehead you get from a shipwreck. I bought the athenian skin from the orichalcum guy and it is meh to me. But he also gave me the kronos horse in a mystery box so I can't complain.

Also, in terms of ac lore
    i love the idea that some of these apples of eden we end up chasing down later were from the "mythological beasts" defeated by kassandra.

• Options
    I finally got my first legendary bow drop, and boy is it a doozy. +11% Hunter damage, extra poison damage. Oh, and all Normal arrows are poison arrows.

Holy shit.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I finally got my first legendary bow drop, and boy is it a doozy. +11% Hunter damage, extra poison damage. Oh, and all Normal arrows are poison arrows.

Holy shit.

I needs this in my life, what's the name?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai