As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Shorty wrote: »
    all these jokes are terrible! you're all fired!

At last.

Sweet freedom.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Delta rune is an anagram for leader nut

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Shorty wrote: »
    all these jokes are terrible! you're all fired!

so you're having Nunavut, then?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who has finished Return of the Obra Dinn, and all I need is a yes or no: Is there anything supernatural going on in that game?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Yes.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Question for anyone who has finished Return of the Obra Dinn, and all I need is a yes or no: Is there anything supernatural going on in that game?

Doesn't it say "magical realism" right on the tin?

• Options
    Star Citizen
    hey if you liked undertale, there's a... survey... you can participate in...

just be careful installing the "survey," as the uninstaller might have a bug that deletes everything in the install folder and all subfolders if you run it, so just install it to a new folder. The default installer path is probably fine.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

just be careful installing the "survey," as the uninstaller might have a bug that deletes everything in the install folder and all subfolders if you run it, so just install it to a new folder. The default installer path is probably fine.

It is also asking some people to bypass their security settings to install it? So I'm going to wait and see what the deal is.

• Options
    Star Citizen
    undertale was also like that FWIW

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It is also asking some people to bypass their security settings to install it? So I'm going to wait and see what the deal is.

Bypass or just activating UAC? Like, tons of applications require admin privileges to install--it's only a problem if you get prompted to grant permissions to a program you don't recognize.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1ImpV7X5c

Wario Land 5 Pizza Tower has a demo out now on itch: https://pizzatowerguy.itch.io/pizza-tower-demo

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Star Citizen
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

In the first five minutes you get a literal magic watch.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hey guys my indie game is err... coming out tomorrow. Could I please request a thread title change?

But anyway back in January, Kotaku UK made a list of "every" game developed by a UK developer coming out in 2018. I submitted but was overlooked. This stuck in my mind a bit so recently I went back to that list and checked most of the games. Wouldn't you know it? The majority of the non AAA games have been delayed to 2019 <angry emoji.gif>?

So I guess that in general, indie games tend not to come out when advertised. Cancel the title change.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Hey guys my indie game is err... coming out tomorrow. Could I please request a thread title change?

But anyway back in January, Kotaku UK made a list of "every" game developed by a UK developer coming out in 2018. I submitted but was overlooked. This stuck in my mind a bit so recently I went back to that list and checked most of the games. Wouldn't you know it? The majority of the non AAA games have been delayed to 2019 <angry emoji.gif>?

So I guess that in general, indie games tend not to come out when advertised. Cancel the title change.

What's... the name of your game?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DayZ
    MC Zany's Crazy Cab Collider

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    how long is Delta Rune?

I couldn't find a save spot or anything so I think when I closed it I'm gonna have to start over, but I barely just started it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Mr. G wrote: »
    how long is Delta Rune?

I couldn't find a save spot or anything so I think when I closed it I'm gonna have to start over, but I barely just started it
    honestly i'm an hour in and i'm...not sure. like...it's just a game, it's a real game and is it as long as undertale???? no idea.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    2-4 hours seems to be the general consensus on its length.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    2-4 hours seems to be the general consensus on its length.

Considering my steam says I beat Undertale in 5 that’s way longer than I was expecting.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    how long is Delta Rune?

Three hours, maybe? There's plenty of save points, you probably just quite before it really got going.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Spy Party
    Deltarune update:

The site has changed. There's now an official logo (which I can't embed because it's completely white on a transparent background lmao), and it warns you that you should play Undertale first and that you might need to bypass Windows Defender to play. Also, you can now buy the soundtrack for chapter 1 on Bandcamp: https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/ (includes a guest track from Laura Shigihara (the composer of the Plants Vs. Zombies and Rakuen soundtracks) and a track Toby composed for the VN Rose Of Winter)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Star Citizen

Actually it's an anagram for NUDE ALERT.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Garthor wrote: »

but did you know that it's actually an anagram for DENTAL RUE

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

but did you know that it's actually an anagram for DENTAL RUE

Alphys needs braces

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Toby Fox has put out a post saying what Delta Rune is going to be
    It's not the same world as Undertale, it's not a prequel, it's a new take on some of the same stuff

The next release will be the rest of the game, which currently has 0 work done on it and can't start until he assembles a team to make it, so it's likely several years away, there will be no preorders, you can give him money when the game is finished and released, there will be no Kickstarter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Spy Party
    Welp I just finished Delta Rune. I get what that whole series is going for, vibe-wise and thematically, but sheeeeeesh the game mechanics continue to absolutely suck. One of the floor puzzles requires just the tiniest bit of precise handling which is frustrating because of the loose-feeling input; for just regular overworld walking I found myself getting caught on edges constantly. All for a single 'joke' early on about how you can run by holding down a button. The battles continue to be annoying and boring timewasters (thankfully they are less frequent than in UT). I get it, it's a whole commentary about RPGs and yadda yadda yadda. Great, I got it the first time, and I shouldn't have to constantly go through the battle menus in such a shitty, slow manner if everyone involved in this understands that it's a shitty and unrewarding mechanic. Just like UT, this game seems to actively want for me to hate video games and it succeeds for the wrong(?) reasons. Combat: boring slog. Walking: boring slog. Dialogue: boring slog.

Graphically, at first I thought from the opening that it would be an actually colorful, interesting, and visually advanced to maybe the SNES, compared to UT's NES graphics. There's nothing quite as upsetting as disappointment. After five minutes you are thrown into a black, completely primitive 8-bit world and it's just shit-ugly; the characters are barely cognizable as humanoid figures (seriously, please, show me where Suzie's eyes and mouth are on her portrait). Yes, yes, I get it, maybe it's a thematically shitty underworld where even the textures are deliberately ugly, or that graphics don't matter in a story-driven game, or whatever people may raise in defense of the art execution and style. That doesn't mean it gets a pass.

Yes, only one man made it and his area of expertise is clearly writing (although god damn he's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is; there were maybe two moments in three hours where I was like, 'yeah that item description was alright'). I found myself thanking god that you can press a button to instantly show text because the game constantly s l o w l y drip-feeds it to you (seriously, the way the text crawls on ALL DIALOGUE AND DESCRIPTIONS is infuriating (again, this tracks with someone who is in love with how clever he thinks he is and wants to make sure you t a k e i t a l l i n). The game pulls the same cheaply-manufactured sentiment and stale comedy combo that UT did and none of it really lands except one scene which is completely blown past in an unsurprising lack of tact and pacing.

I just found myself insulted by the entire thing. Every single thing about this series is just unappealing to me (except Alphys). I'm sympathetic to the general apologia for Undertale: conceptually it's very smart, the lore is surprisingly interesting and fresh, the veering between ultra-light and ultra-dark in the same game is theoretically attractive, the writing similarly veers between trying to be funny and trying to be scary. I get all that. It's just... I don't see how these games are good executions of those ideas.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    I'm not quite done with Delta Rune

but, uh, I definitely am not having that extreme of a reaction

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Spy Party
    Toby Fox has put out a post saying what Delta Rune is going to be
    It's not the same world as Undertale, it's not a prequel, it's a new take on some of the same stuff

The next release will be the rest of the game, which currently has 0 work done on it and can't start until he assembles a team to make it, so it's likely several years away, there will be no preorders, you can give him money when the game is finished and released, there will be no Kickstarter

I think that's super cool. @Preacher and I were actually talking earlier about how cool that idea would be in games and it's exciting to see it happen

I love Majora's Mask-type remix shit

Eddy on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Indie game thread, assuming that Toby Fox probably going to try to build a small superteam of indie devs to finish Delta Rune, who is the dream team?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Spy Party
    Wherever josh sawyer is now

More seriously, whoever did The Stanley Parable. I feel like that pairs decently

Eddy on
  • Options
    Wrangle in Rami Ismail since Vlambeer makes rad pixel art bullet hells in gamemaker (though maybe don't make it so hard).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    rhylith wrote: »
    Indie game thread, assuming that Toby Fox probably going to try to build a small superteam of indie devs to finish Delta Rune, who is the dream team?

Most of the names I know in the indie space are projects leads that probably wouldn't work well together?

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Most of the names I know in the indie space are projects leads that probably wouldn't work well together?

Yeah obviously, I was just tryin to have some fun.

The biggest thing he probably needs IS a project manager though. Someone who can help him take some of the burden off his shoulders and keep work flowing to the rest of the team efficiently since he's so used to doing it all himself.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hm. I feel like a Delta Rune dream team would have some Homestuck people on it, but I don't really know who any of them were.

• Options
    I mean if you don’t like the writing of Delta Rune you shouldn’t play the game. Not saying you should like the writing, mind you, but that’s the main appeal. If you aren’t feeling it your time I best spent elsewhere.

Personally I like the graphics because even through they are simple I find them evocative.

I didn’t like the gameplay in UT and I don’t like the gameplay in DR, but I tolerate it for the writing I enjoy. If you don’t like the writing, well, pass. There are plenty of other games out there to spend your time on.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    What's a good game to play if you like spaghetti

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Cook, Serve, Delicious

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Spy Party
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Cook, Serve, Delicious

I actually got too mind-flooded by that game

Overcooked was more my speed

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Cooking Mama?

This discussion has been closed.