Options

AG Jeff Sessions has resigned at President Trumps request, announced via twitter.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    But I guess we're not out of the woods and there's still a lot of ratfuckery to go

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, rather than fire Mueller, they might just hobble the shit out him financially?

I wonder how many of the people he hired are willing to work pro bono for the protection of American democracy.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, rather than fire Mueller, they might just hobble the shit out him financially?

I wonder how many of the people he hired are willing to work pro bono for the protection of American democracy.

They all took massive pay cuts basically already.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Let's just hope Mueller has a good contingency plan for this inevitable fuckery.
    You're talking about a guy who got a witness out of prison to go on the record with testimony, then snuck back into that prison, without anyone knowing until well after the fact.

They have contingencies and they are smart.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Does he have any actual authority to tell a special counsel what the scope of their investigation is or how to run it?

Yes, he has complete control over the investigation. All indictments have to have approval, as do subpoenas and new avenues of investigation. Whittaker is obviously just going to bring that to a complete halt. I would be very surprised if Roger Stone is indicted now.

I don't know how the particulars work, but even if an indictment for Stone was approved by Rosenstein and Mueller was just waiting until the election was over for it, Whittaker could probably retroactively deny that indictment before it happened.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I assume McConnel's stance will continue to be something like "We could take action to protect the special counsel, but I don't see any indication that the investigation is under threat".

Of course not, he's still the Special Counsel, he's still doing his job, we've just made a few adjustments for budgetary concerns!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I doubt the top level would be the issue as much as being able to afford enough low level staff to sort through mountains of evidence and such.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Does he have any actual authority to tell a special counsel what the scope of their investigation is or how to run it?

Yes, he has complete control over the investigation. All indictments have to have approval, as do subpoenas and new avenues of investigation. Whittaker is obviously just going to bring that to a complete halt. I would be very surprised if Roger Stone is indicted now.

I don't know how the particulars work, but even if an indictment for Stone was approved by Rosenstein and Mueller was just waiting until the election was over for it, Whittaker could probably retroactively deny that indictment before it happened.

If the House subpeonas the reports though I do 't think he can stop them releasing them.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I can’t imagjne the investigation team didn’t have a plan in place for this NOT AT ALL telegraphed moment, but I’ve been wrong before once or twice in my life.

Neco on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

If the House subpeonas the reports though I do 't think he can stop them releasing them.

He can. Worst case scenario for Whittaker it goes to the supreme court.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

They all took massive pay cuts basically already.

And if, somehow, everyone working on the investigation agrees to work for free, they'll just fire them then, or deny all their requests for literally anything down to new pencils.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    What is the legal mechanism for Whittaker to "deny" an indictment when a grand jury has been presented evidence and affirmatively voted and indicted someone? Help me out here

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Just let me work through this.

The House of Reps flipped blue meaning that Trump is no longer protected on that front as Nunes cannot stall that Intelligence Committee any further. Furthermore, there's be lots of talk about subpoenaing Trump's tax returns since that's something the House can do without also having it checked by the Senate. But any of those potential actions is still a couple of months away since the new Congress doesn't get sworn in or seated until early January.

In response, right now, for no apparently rational reason, Jeff Sessions gets fired resigns. This is after setting up and maintaining a successful voter suppression campaign that seems to have made all the difference in at least Florida, Georgia, Texas, and North Dakota. While also having ran full interference for the administration in the courts to middling results. With this "resignation" we get a supposed Trump puppet (evidence not yet apparent of the degree of toadying) as acting AG while the deputy AG remains the deputy and largely keeps up the appearance, if not actual function, of an independent office. The worry being this new puppet would scrap that appearance at any moment by firing said deputy AG, thus creating a direct line to also fire or interfere with the special prosecutor's investigation that has a high probability (based on court records) of having Trump being an unnamed co-conspirator.

Are we certain that Sessions didn't actually want out? I'm not saying that the above isn't or can't be true. But it sure is complicated.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't know why reporting shit during the fall before election day is a taboo thing. If there's something the public should know, we should know it before voting. My problem with Comey isn't that he said what he said about Hillary Clinton, it's that he didn't give context for it and that he didn't also mention the Republican candidate was also under investigation.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    What is the legal mechanism for Whittaker to "deny" an indictment when a grand jury has been presented evidence and affirmatively voted and indicted someone? Help me out here

"Because"

Like, he's the AG, he doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to. Who's gonna stop him?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that asshole couldn't give me one god damn day to eat tacos in peace

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Just let me work through this.

The House of Reps flipped blue meaning that Trump is no longer protected on that front as Nunes cannot stall that Intelligence Committee any further. Furthermore, there's be lots of talk about subpoenaing Trump's tax returns since that's something the House can do without also having it checked by the Senate. But any of those potential actions is still a couple of months away since the new Congress doesn't get sworn in or seated until early January.

In response, right now, for no apparently rational reason, Jeff Sessions gets fired resigns. This is after setting up and maintaining a successful voter suppression campaign that seems to have made all the difference in at least Florida, Georgia, Texas, and North Dakota. While also having ran full interference for the administration in the courts to middling results. With this "resignation" we get a supposed Trump puppet (evidence not yet apparent of the degree of toadying) as acting AG while the deputy AG remains the deputy and largely keeps up the appearance, if not actual function, of an independent office. The worry being this new puppet would scrap that appearance at any moment by firing said deputy AG, thus creating a direct line to also fire or interfere with the special prosecutor's investigation that has a high probability (based on court records) of having Trump being an unnamed co-conspirator.

Are we certain that Sessions didn't actually want out? I'm not saying that the above isn't or can't be true. But it sure is complicated.

As a rule, I assume that when you start a resignation letter with "At your request," you didn't wanna go.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Mueller won't be fired, he'll just be ordered to end the investigation in a timely fashion and the new AG will find themselves oddly uninterested in pursuing any criminal charges against any Trump officials. Congress can request the reports, but I assume there will be all kinds of fuckery attempted to reduce the value of any Mueller findings that get out. Congress will be left with the choice to attempt to impeach based solely on leaks and weakened material that the new AG allowed to get out.

If I'm the Democrats, I might just wait until October of 2020 and oh surprise, Mueller is going to testify in front of Congress about the investigation and release his 'personal notes'.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

It seems he could deny Mueller the authority to bring an indictment before the grand jury

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also

also

ALSO

arguments in what is very possibly an appeal to the DC court's ruling that the President must respond to a subpoena are happening soon. All the documents have to be filed by next Wednesday and oral arguments are set for Dec 14th!!

DOing this now may mean that the DoJ stops pursuing this line and prevents Mueller from forcing the President to give testimony before a grand jury.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I honestly don't know why reporting shit during the fall before election day is a taboo thing. If there's something the public should know, we should know it before voting. My problem with Comey isn't that he said what he said about Hillary Clinton, it's that he didn't give context for it and that he didn't also mention the Republican candidate was also under investigation.

It's a potential Hatch Act violation.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

"Because"

Like, he's the AG, he doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to. Who's gonna stop him?

Can he literally stop things being filled in court? If we're talking things that Mueller has already given to a grand jury and they've indicted on, I don't see how (practically or legally) Whittaker can bury that

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There's also that Mueller is already sharing information with all the state AGs, I imagine it would be trivial for him to dump everything to them an allow them to prosecute. Also imagine that he would be able to file an injunction to hold his firing in the event that does happen and make the doj demonstrate cause through a lengthy court process

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

It seems he could deny Mueller the authority to bring an indictment before the grand jury

I was responding to viskod saying even already done indictments could be "denied"

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also

also

ALSO

arguments in what is very possibly an appeal to the DC court's ruling that the President must respond to a subpoena are happening soon. All the documents have to be filed by next Wednesday and oral arguments are set for Dec 14th!!

DOing this now may mean that the DoJ stops pursuing this line and prevents Mueller from forcing the President to give testimony before a grand jury.

If the ruling being appealed is that POTUS does have to answer a subpeona, then they don't have an out like that - the court would presumably appoint someone to defend the lower ruling.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Like, seriously there is some secret and highly irregular stuff happening with the grand jury right now and it all comes to a head in the next 5 weeks. Someone with the weight to make the court move VERY FAST and expect all parties to do likewise is fighting a subpoena before an appellate court right now and this may win that mystery person a reprieve.

Edit: would they, Polarite?

And will the Court be able to appoint someone who actually can argue the case based on facts? They can't see any of Mueller's evidence and if the DoJ won't defend the ruling, who else possibly could?

spool32 on
  • Options
    Every legal expert I have ever heard comment on this matter have all agreed that Mueller needs permission to indict someone. That's just been a given no matter how this investigation has been discussed. Where along the line of the process of a normal indictment approval from the immediate supervisor of Mueller lies I am not sure.

Perhaps its before they are considered by the Grand Jury?
    Perhaps its after the Grand Jury vote and the AG or DAG has to approve before it goes into action?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump having Kelly telling Sessions to resign is not at all a surprise, but it is nice to know for certain.

CNN producer:

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    If mueller has found real evidence of crimes can’t he pass it off to the fbi or state ag like he had before?

If don jr was ready to be indicted can’t he still very much be so?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    We didn't even get a day before going back to crazy town. Swear to god sometimes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

"Because"

Can he literally stop things being filled in court? If we're talking things that Mueller has already given to a grand jury and they've indicted on, I don't see how (practically or legally) Whittaker can bury that

He could just say the indictment is beyond the scope of the Special council

Reading the order that created the office it sounds like that scope is completely determined by the AG(or DAG when it was Rosenstein)

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

"Because"

My guess is Mueller told Rosenstein who to indict, but Rosenstein technically has to file the paperwork with the court.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    At least Rumsfeld had the decency to wait like a month.

• Options
    Every legal expert I have ever heard comment on this matter have all agreed that Mueller needs permission to indict someone. That's just been a given no matter how this investigation has been discussed. Where along the line of the process of a normal indictment approval from the immediate supervisor of Mueller lies I am not sure.

Perhaps its after the Grand Jury vote and the AG or DAG has to approve before it goes into action?

The Grand Jury has the power of indictment - they don't need anybody's approval iirc? It would be approval to present to the Grand Jury. Once the indictment comes from them, that's formal charges, isn't it?

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Like, seriously there is some secret and highly irregular stuff happening with the grand jury right now and it all comes to a head in the next 5 weeks. Someone with the weight to make the court move VERY FAST and expect all parties to do likewise is fighting a subpoena before an appellate court right now and this may win that mystery person a reprieve.

Edit: would they, Polarite?

And will the Court be able to appoint someone who actually can argue the case based on facts? They can't see any of Mueller's evidence and if the DoJ won't defend the ruling, who else possibly could?

It could be because this mystery person is Don Jr or Kushner and this is the nuclear reaction that you'd expect Trump to have if the investigation got that close to him.

Or it could be that they've always planned to do this because doing it right after the election regardless of its outcome means you have two years to ride out the fallout from such an action and bury all the facts in lies and half truths, misdirection, and projection.

For what its worth there was story recently about Don Jr expecting to be indicted but not from a known reliable source.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I guess the question is: why? What can the house do that would impact this

Mueller went on hold basically from September to not interfere with the election. Firing Mueller before the election would have been politically unpopular. Now there's more danger and less of a cost

Wasn’t that gracious of him. See how Trump repays weakness.

Mueller failing to uphold that would have been used as a bludgeon to proclaim that he and his team were trying to influence the midterms, and even with the same outcome we'd instead see pages of recriminations that 'if only Mueller had kept his mouth shut, we would've won X, Y, and Z'.

As much as we might hate the whole 'norms and standards are only for Democrats', this was a situation where sticking to the book was (imo) the best play. Trump and his ilk will always make up bullshit, but being able to point out that they factually did their due diligence may prove to be important, both for the court of public opinion and actual courtrooms.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    But democrats can reappoint Mueller in January, so this seems a bit like an attempt to delay or complicate for a bit.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    But democrats can reappoint Mueller in January, so this seems a bit like an attempt to delay or complicate for a bit.

I would be very surprised if Whittaker actually removes Mueller instead of just sabotaging him. Now I guess the House could ask Mueller "investigate more" afterwords if they wanted.

• Options

The Grand Jury has the power of indictment - they don't need anybody's approval iirc? It would be approval to present to the Grand Jury. Once the indictment comes from them, that's formal charges, isn't it?

This is certainly my understanding anyway

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Dearest Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III,

I write this letter in haste and pray that it finds you while you are still able to receive it. I have just received word that you have been mired in some troubling circumstances, and I felt that, if ever you needed to hear these words, it was now:

Good fucking riddance to you, you racist authoritarian fuck.

Warmly,
    Arbitrarius Description IV

This discussion has been closed.