As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Or catch three Mustangs and name them Bill, And, Ted.

Get it?
    *nudge nudge*
    Get it?
    *wink wink*
    because they are Wild Stallions

I'll see my self out.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    The fastest horses are the smallest (and tend to me more skittish than the bigger ones). Yeah, the Arabian looks almost comically small under Arthur - but it still runs like the wind!

Oh it looks small under *end game*
    John too.

I think its time to catch a wild Mustang. Maybe name it Ted Logan. Or Rufus.

In my dreams, there is a black Clydesdale or Shire that's faster than the fastest Arabian, and I shall call him Bilbo.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    the only name for a mustang is Hidalgo

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The fastest horses are the smallest (and tend to me more skittish than the bigger ones). Yeah, the Arabian looks almost comically small under Arthur - but it still runs like the wind!

John too.

Well any male horse could be considered a Stallion right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The fastest horses are the smallest (and tend to me more skittish than the bigger ones). Yeah, the Arabian looks almost comically small under Arthur

Holy shit, try riding a donkey sometime. Your feet almost touch the ground.

....I may have stole one from some woman... In my defense, she thought I was a hardened criminal there to deliver loot. In her defense I stole her semi-auto shotgun instead. In my defense, she was totally going to tell on me and I only hogtied her and dumped her in the chicken coop.
    - but it still runs like the wind!

Now, about that...

When I was starting my work on looking for the legendary buck, I still had a huge bounty in West Elizabeth from
    breaking fucking Micah out of jail, much as I would have preferred to let him hang.

I figured it'd be no big deal cause I wasn't going to be anywhere near civilization. Yeah, that's not how that works, apparently. I discovered a random gang camp, and was fixin' to make trouble for them. At almost the exact moment I fired the first shot, my radar lit up with like a dozen red dots behind me. A bunch of bounty hunters rolled up on my shit and unleashed the hounds. Like, literally, they sic'd a bunch of dogs on me. They also started mixing it up with the gang I was picking a fight with. I was away from my horse and in a bad spot and got gunned down.

Now, because I was in the active process of committing fucking murders, and because there was an actual gang involved, I wasn't sure if they were truly there for ME or if they were there for the gang hideout and I just happened to get caught in between them. I probably should have guessed, but I decided to make another run into WEliz and stick to the back country. I probably wasn't in the territory for more than 10 minutes when another group of bounty hunters showed up on my radar.

I immediately turned and booked it for the territory border at full gallop, but even on the Arabian, the bounty hunters ran me down without a problem. I was jackhammering away on the A button, alternately trying to do the "in time with your gallop" thing, and just press it as fast as humanly possible" and they caught right up with me.

So, there's either a trick to galloping super fast that I don't know yet, or there are some situations where the speed of your horse legitimately doesn't matter. I suspect some of the random horse races are the same. Some lady challenged me to one and I figured I'd have no problem putting her away, but there seemed to be scripted moments when something tripped her up or she absolutely fucking blew past me at what I was assuming was my full gallop.

Incidentally, I was winning the race but got slightly confused by a tiny tiny offshoot to the actual finish line on a beach at the end of the race, and my horse refused a jump and I lost by what must have been a couple of feet. She was getting all mouthy and braggadocios and rubbing it in my face and demanding I pay the $10. I didn't have a choice, so I shot her in her smug fucking face and pushed her body into the river.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Re: Horse names, I went with Wildfire for my Arabian which is a super deep cut that someone out there might get.

No, not the song.

If I get one of the giant draft horses at some point, it'll be Papillon.

Cog on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I named all my horses after bourbons

Obviously the Arabian was Pappy

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

John too.

Well any male horse could be considered a Stallion right?

Dont you try to explain away my terribad Dad joke, Preacher!

• Options
    Crucial epilogue spoilers:
    If you study Rufus like any other animal, the compendium just says

RUFUS

Rufus is a good boy.

• Options
    Tooling around in post-campaign, I have learned that the max bounty is $1,500. And that they will just never run out of law peeps to send to investigate even the one-horsiest towns.

• Options
    Nearing the end of the epilogue I think.
    To see them happy, working so hard to get just what they have, and knowing what happens to John later is... This is real, good tragedy. This is how a prequel is done. You can feel the dramatic irony seize your heart.

And still you know that they did have it, and it was good, and even if they lose at after a time and John dies hard and Jack has to grow into a killer, that still meant something, and Arthur's last stand did give them that.

Which is, you know, the whole thing.

I might play RDR1 again after this, since it was so long ago and I never did finish it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I might play RDR1 again after this, since it was so long ago and I never did finish it.

Might be worth waiting, if
    Basically all of RDR1's world map and many of its personalities being implemented is any hint that a remaster could be on the horizon. It just seems like a weirdly specific amount of work just to cover two epilogue chapters.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Might be worth waiting, if
    Basically all of RDR1's world map and many of its personalities being implemented is any hint that a remaster could be on the horizon. It just seems like a weirdly specific amount of work just to cover two epilogue chapters.

This is a fair point, isn't it.
    I just headed down there and wow, it's all there.

Seems silly not to use it.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    The fastest horses are the smallest (and tend to me more skittish than the bigger ones). Yeah, the Arabian looks almost comically small under Arthur

Holy shit, try riding a donkey sometime. Your feet almost touch the ground.

....I may have stole one from some woman... In my defense, she thought I was a hardened criminal there to deliver loot. In her defense I stole her semi-auto shotgun instead. In my defense, she was totally going to tell on me and I only hogtied her and dumped her in the chicken coop.
    - but it still runs like the wind!

Now, about that...

When I was starting my work on looking for the legendary buck, I still had a huge bounty in West Elizabeth from
    breaking fucking Micah out of jail, much as I would have preferred to let him hang.

I figured it'd be no big deal cause I wasn't going to be anywhere near civilization. Yeah, that's not how that works, apparently. I discovered a random gang camp, and was fixin' to make trouble for them. At almost the exact moment I fired the first shot, my radar lit up with like a dozen red dots behind me. A bunch of bounty hunters rolled up on my shit and unleashed the hounds. Like, literally, they sic'd a bunch of dogs on me. They also started mixing it up with the gang I was picking a fight with. I was away from my horse and in a bad spot and got gunned down.

Now, because I was in the active process of committing fucking murders, and because there was an actual gang involved, I wasn't sure if they were truly there for ME or if they were there for the gang hideout and I just happened to get caught in between them. I probably should have guessed, but I decided to make another run into WEliz and stick to the back country. I probably wasn't in the territory for more than 10 minutes when another group of bounty hunters showed up on my radar.

I immediately turned and booked it for the territory border at full gallop, but even on the Arabian, the bounty hunters ran me down without a problem. I was jackhammering away on the A button, alternately trying to do the "in time with your gallop" thing, and just press it as fast as humanly possible" and they caught right up with me.

So, there's either a trick to galloping super fast that I don't know yet, or there are some situations where the speed of your horse legitimately doesn't matter. I suspect some of the random horse races are the same. Some lady challenged me to one and I figured I'd have no problem putting her away, but there seemed to be scripted moments when something tripped her up or she absolutely fucking blew past me at what I was assuming was my full gallop.

Incidentally, I was winning the race but got slightly confused by a tiny tiny offshoot to the actual finish line on a beach at the end of the race, and my horse refused a jump and I lost by what must have been a couple of feet. She was getting all mouthy and braggadocios and rubbing it in my face and demanding I pay the $10. I didn't have a choice, so I shot her in her smug fucking face and pushed her body into the river.

I've found the spontaneous horse races are the times when my horse likes to completely disregard my inputs the most. It has run headlong into a stump or tree or rock or anything else without fail in every race (although I have also won every race). Nothing more frustrating than holding left for a second trying to move towards a tree gap and your horse just veers right into a copse.

The game has some serious control issues and loves to railroad your actions or stop you from doing things. Want to ride past a mission area? Arthur will be sure to slow down to a trot even if you're riding past. Sometimes horses jump over obstacles automatically; sometimes you have to do it manually (...sometimes it does both and you get the crapshoot of either jumping over the obstacle and hopping like a bunny afterwards, or just running headlong into the obstacle). On more than one occasion, I've started a mission and realized the game took away the loadout I just set... then I'll go back to the horse and it'll blackscreen to a cutscene that will inevitably leave me in a fight with just a pistol. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries to eat or feed your horse from the quick access menu. Sometimes pressing up on the directional pad to put the gun in 'fire a warning shot' mode is automatically cancelled when you fire and you just blast whoever you were trying to warn (especially sheep; I can only assume Arthur hates sheep). There was a period when my LT would also randomly pull a gun on people from an unarmed state (the game did it when I was getting off a train, and outside the saloon in Valentine and on several other occasions).

Maybe there's meta story behind Arthur's quip that he doesn't feel in control and it's not just shoddy programming because it happens so frequently.

• Options
    I dunno if this has come up in the thread before, but does anyone here have Netflix?

If so, you might wanna' check out a new release - it's a Cohen Brothers movie (Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, No Country for Old Men, True Grit), and it's an anthology of old west stories called The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

It's six short stories, basically, that go from the sparkly-bright and sunny and hilarious to funny and a bit darker to wordless and sad to just achingly tragic - with excellent cast and performances throughout.

But if you're not up to watching the whole movie, just watch the first short. Just watch the first one. It's the one that's about the titular Buster Scruggs, and I kinda' wished the entire movie had just been that character and his adventures - it was the most purely entertaining thing I've seen since Grand Budapest Hotel (I love good Anderson movies), and made me laugh out loud repeatedly. I can't even remember the last movie I lol'd at before.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. On Netflix. Watch the first chapter if nothing else.

• Options
    I saw a banner ad/poster thing on some website for that and thought it was a really strange departure for them. I immediately thought of this game from nothing more than that poster. It was on my mental watchlist, but I'll have to bump it up.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. On Netflix. Watch the first chapter if nothing else.

You might enjoy this short movie on youtube:

https://youtu.be/TXfltmzRG-g

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It turns out you can't crash 2 trains into each other. They just auto-brake and won't let you get any closer. Rockstar plz.

• Options
    Getting real sick and tired of this "too much activity" bullshit. Just spawn the damned gator, game!

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Getting real sick and tired of this "too much activity" bullshit. Just spawn the damned gator, game!

The only thing I found that worked when I was running into that was to move a bit outside the legendary territory, save the game, quit out, and reload it. I camped out for like a week trying various times of day with no luck but save/load did it on the first try.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I talked about this the other day in the SE++ thread while I was trying to hunt the Legendary Buck. It turns out there was an enemy gang camp nearby and once I murdered them all I was free and clear to hunt. If there is something like that, or a stranger nearby it wont let you track. Also as an extra little helpful tip, it doesn't matter how you kill the animal, any weapon and any number of shots will still net you the legendary skin. It was asking me to use poison arrows and I wasn't going to trek back and figure out how to get those, so three shots from my Springfield and it was down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I talked about this the other day in the SE++ thread while I was trying to hunt the Legendary Buck. It turns out there was an enemy gang camp nearby and once I murdered them all I was free and clear to hunt. If there is something like that, or a stranger nearby it wont let you track. Also as an extra little helpful tip, it doesn't matter how you kill the animal, any weapon and any number of shots will still net you the legendary skin. It was asking me to use poison arrows and I wasn't going to trek back and figure out how to get those, so three shots from my Springfield and it was down.

For the buck I did 3 shotgun shots to the face.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

The only thing I found that worked when I was running into that was to move a bit outside the legendary territory, save the game, quit out, and reload it. I camped out for like a week trying various times of day with no luck but save/load did it on the first try.

I had the activity issue with the legendary ram. Camped for a few days outside the legendary territory, was annoyed about all the time that was going by wasted idle, saved my game, camped a few more days. Still no ram. Got fed up, loaded my game back to a previous time when there had been too much activity, and the message was gone.

It’s absolutely an issue with the game state and is cleared up by save/load, not a thing you have to just wait out.

Not to say in some cases the activity warning isn’t legit, but if it goes on and on and on for days, save & load is probably the actual fix.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    JMan711 wrote: »

For the buck I did 3 shotgun shots to the face.

Ayep. There's absolutely no reason not to deadeye and unload the biggest gun you've got into a legendary animal's face.

• Options
    Also, FWIW, I didn’t clear the gang camp near the buck and didn’t have a problem with any activity warnings... it just took me like 2 goddamn hours real-time to find the first tracking sign.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    If you use the companion app you get a visual clue on the map when you go into eagle vison (I don't know what they call that in this game)

• Options
    Also, FWIW, I didn’t clear the gang camp near the buck and didn’t have a problem with any activity warnings... it just took me like 2 goddamn hours real-time to find the first tracking sign.

Yeah the fucking Buck has like a comically large "he's near" area where finding that first tracking sign is a bitch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oakey wrote: »
    If you use the companion app you get a visual clue on the map when you go into eagle vison (I don't know what they call that in this game)

P sure you get that regardless? A little white question mark?

I have the companion app set up but it’s way less useful on a phone than I imagine it would be on a tablet. Wish you could get the companion app map on a pc.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Yeah the fucking Buck has like a comically large "he's near" area where finding that first tracking sign is a bitch.

With the legendary animals, if you go into eagle eye, there is the world's tiniest question mark that can appear on the minimap letting you know where the clue is. Otherwise yeah, trying to hunt the legendary animals amounts to trying to find a needle in a haystack of indeterminate size. Even knowing what you're looking for (a sparkly mark in eagle eye) it's still a pain in the ass (oh look there are a million shiny sparkly marks and lines around you).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

With the legendary animals, if you go into eagle eye, there is the world's tiniest question mark that can appear on the minimap letting you know where the clue is. Otherwise yeah, trying to hunt the legendary animals amounts to trying to find a needle in a haystack of indeterminate size. Even knowing what you're looking for (a sparkly mark in eagle eye) it's still a pain in the ass (oh look there are a million shiny sparkly marks and lines around you).

I swear with the buck I never ever got that question mark. Like when I found the first tracking sign I swear to god I'd walked through that area multiple times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I swear with the buck I never ever got that question mark. Like when I found the first tracking sign I swear to god I'd walked through that area multiple times.

Hmm, I don't recall a question mark with the buck. But the first clue was visible from the road, so maybe I just didn't notice it on the minimap.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The question marks only appear on the map if you are within about 50 feet of the clue already. Useful if you are randomly riding past on a nearby road with the minimap visible, but if you're already in eagle vision, the gold sparklies are going to be visible well before any question mark appears. Of course neither will appear if "activity" is nearby.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

This was absolutely my experience too. I even looked up some videos on youtube of people hunting it, and crisscrossed the spot where they found the first sign. I eventually found it there, but only after I left and came back several times. I'm like 90% sure I covered the area it eventually popped on.

• Options
    The Legendary Moose question mark popped up for me while I was on the road. Heck, I wasn't even looking to hunt it. This got danged super gator, however, is still giving me "too much activity". I completed the Night People quest, as well as laid waste to some random night folk, and still no gator for me.

• Options
    The Legendary Moose question mark popped up for me while I was on the road. Heck, I wasn't even looking to hunt it. This got danged super gator, however, is still giving me "too much activity". I completed the Night People quest, as well as laid waste to some random night folk, and still no gator for me.

Save and load your game.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I failed missions by trying to kill West Dickens and Seth.

God I hate those sons of bitches. In RDR2 do they at least acknowledge their status as annoying trash?

Bonnie, Marshal and Ricketts are the best.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

God I hate those sons of bitches. In RDR2 do they at least acknowledge their status as annoying trash?

Spoiler about the appearance or not appearance of characters from RDR

You see seth's shirt hanging in the breeze but never run across him that I found, nor west dickens again that I have found.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Save and load your game.

Tried that, didn't work. Went and killed the Legendary Beaver instead. Really starting to think something is glitched with the gator since I've killed two other legendaries since giving up.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Spoiler about the appearance or not appearance of characters from RDR

You see seth's shirt hanging in the breeze but never run across him that I found, nor west dickens again that I have found.

Seth was annoying, but he never openly betrayed Marston. I just wish you got a chance to beat the life out of those characters.