Options

[US Foreign Policy] Talk about the Foreign Policy of the United States

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I don't think the Ukraine have declared war on Russia. It seems they're debating declaring martial law, not war, and requesting international support.

I mean, yeah. There's no version of this where Ukrainian forces try to escalate this that doesn't end with Russia bordering Poland again. They're going to prepare for Russia's next move, not make their own.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bordering Russia seems to suck a lot.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I don't think the Ukraine have declared war on Russia. It seems they're debating declaring martial law, not war, and requesting international support.

I mean, yeah. There's no version of this where Ukrainian forces try to escalate this that doesn't end with Russia bordering Poland again. They're going to prepare for Russia's next move, not make their own.

Yeah, there's a few reports that the Ukraine have declared war, but I think they're mistranslated.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oh. Meanwhile, the situation in the US seems to be resolved by the simple fact that it turns out Mexico take a dim view of people storming fences too. According to BBC news, they plan to deport the people who tried to breach the barrier.

... to where?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I think it's less "declared war" and more "recognized an act of war"

• Options
    Oh. Meanwhile, the situation in the US seems to be resolved by the simple fact that it turns out Mexico take a dim view of people storming fences too. According to BBC news, they plan to deport the people who tried to breach the barrier.

... to where?

To Honduras? Where they emigrated from?

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular

Yeah, there's a few reports that the Ukraine have declared war, but I think they're mistranslated.

Ukraine didn't declare war when Russia annexed Crimea, and unofficially seized the Donbas which resulted in heavy fighting and a bunch of deaths.

They're not going to declare war over a few boats and injuries.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Ukraine didn't declare war when Russia annexed Crimea, and unofficially seized the Donbas which resulted in heavy fighting and a bunch of deaths.

Depends if Russia escalates, which it may very well do. This is their most significant action in recent years (to my knowledge) in this particular border conflict.

If Russia escalates, Ukraine probably won't have much of a choice but to declare war or to openly acquiesce to Russian demands and essentially become a puppet of Putin's Russia.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    you might notice that every neighbour of Russia fucking hates Russia..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »

Depends if Russia escalates, which it may very well do. This is their most significant action in recent years (to my knowledge) in this particular border conflict.

If Russia escalates, Ukraine probably won't have much of a choice but to declare war or to openly acquiesce to Russian demands and essentially become a puppet of Putin's Russia.

What, no.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well, often there are quite a few ethnic Russians who are pro-Russia in your post-Soviet states bordering Russia, and this forms part of the problem. Russia uses the situation of groups like that to enact policy like the annexation of Crimea, and often has extensive networks of support within the area to assist this.

So a lot of nations bordering Russia have very anti-Russian governments and ethnic groups, but deal with ethnic Russians who in some areas are sizeable minorities or even majorities.

• Options
    By the way, to bring things directly to US foreign policy, as this was breaking out Trump was tweeting once again about Europe not "paying" for NATO.

So that excuse not to deploy US troops is nice and fresh in everyone's minds ahead of whatever happens next.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    you might notice that every neighbour of Russia fucking hates Russia..

Not the dictators that are propped up by the Russians.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    The President of the Ukraine has officially called for international help.

Is it significant that they don't appear to be appealing to the US for help?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ukraine isn't in NATO

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The President of the Ukraine has officially called for international help.

Is it significant that they don't appear to be appealing to the US for help?

I doubt it, the Trump admin already increased the aid we give them to include lethal arms

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Ahhhhh, yes.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Well, often there are quite a few ethnic Russians who are pro-Russia in your post-Soviet states bordering Russia, and this forms part of the problem. Russia uses the situation of groups like that to enact policy like the annexation of Crimea, and often has extensive networks of support within the area to assist this.

So a lot of nations bordering Russia have very anti-Russian governments and ethnic groups, but deal with ethnic Russians who in some areas are sizeable minorities or even majorities.

All according to plan. Stalin forcibly moved groups of Russians within the Soviet Union to "russify" all the non-Russian states. Putin is taking advantage of this fact to try to recreate the USSR with him at its head.

You may already know all this.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Ukraine isn't in NATO

The US did sign up to the Budapest Memorandum though, didn’t it?

Not that it matters since Obama was prevented from doing anything when Crimea was annexed in the first place.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Ukraine isn't in NATO

The US did sign up to the Budapest Memorandum though, didn’t it?

Not that it matters since Obama was prevented from doing anything when Crimea was annexed in the first place.

Sure sounds like it from his tweet few posts up.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

It isn't just about boats, its about Ukraine being blockaded out of the Sea of Azov.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

There's a reason the Baltics are very very eager members of NATO.

Ukraine is sadly the last one left and so is gonna get hung out to dry. Russia won't let them go (as we've already seen) because they are the last one in the border region that hasn't already picked a side.

• Options
    Jephery wrote: »

It isn't just about boats, its about Ukraine being blockaded out of the Sea of Azov.

Yup. The big thing here is Russia looks (at least at the moment) to be trying to cut off the majority of Ukraine's black sea coast from the rest of the world.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Ukraine is sadly the last one left and so is gonna get hung out to dry. Russia won't let them go (as we've already seen) because they are the last one in the border region that hasn't already picked a side.

Haven't they been trying to get into the UN or NATO the last few years? They just haven't been able to clear the final hurdles due to sabotage from within from pro-Russia countries and/or it takes a long time for membership to be confirmed IIRC.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Haven't they been trying to get into the UN or NATO the last few years? They just haven't been able to clear the final hurdles due to sabotage from within from pro-Russia countries and/or it takes a long time for membership to be confirmed IIRC.

Eh. There's been groups within Ukraine going either way. The Russians stepped on them and invaded Crimea and Eastern Ukraine because the pro-Russian government was thrown out of power during the 2014 revolution. Which the Russians viewed as a western-backed coup to remove pro-Russian elements from the government.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Yup. The big thing here is Russia looks (at least at the moment) to be trying to cut off the majority of Ukraine's black sea coast from the rest of the world.

While it might not have the same effect, Ukraine just has a bit of a remembrance day about the famines the U.S.S.R. caused.

Blocking them off from the sea of Azov might not cause a famine, but it's nearly the same when it comes to the economy.

The recent history of Ukraine under Russian control/influence is why I can see these actions pushing Ukraine to declaring a formal state of war with Russia. Nothing good has ever happened to Ukraine while Russia was running the show.

• Options

Ukraine is in the UN. Since 2014 they've been trying to get into NATO, but they have to meet the criteria for membership and also NATO has to decide whether the risk of confrontation with Russia is worth it.

• Options
    there's some twitter chatter that Ukraine is also asking the parliament to declare a state of war, but I think that's a misstatement/misreading of the martial law declaration

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Yeah that is a mistranslation, its state of martial law that they're declaring.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    That really seems like the kind of thing people need to translate correctly.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    They only want the living-space that they need. They will stop when we let them have Poland.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Ukraine is in the UN. Since 2014 they've been trying to get into NATO, but they have to meet the criteria for membership and also NATO has to decide whether the risk of confrontation with Russia is worth it.

addendum: come to think of it, Ukraine is not only in the UN, but was actually a founding UN member in 1945. The USSR initially argued that the SSRs all counted as independent countries. They eventually settled for just the Ukraine and Byelorussian SSRs when the US insisted that under this logic every state of the Union must also be given seats, which would have given the US roughly half the general assembly.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options

What makes you think its a permanent blockade? I've been reading but details seem pretty sparse still.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options

What makes you think its a permanent blockade? I've been reading but details seem pretty sparse still.

Well given they went and spent a bunch of time and money building a bridge from Russia to the Crimea just before they started the blockade it would seem that they’re planning for the long term.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Maybe it's just temporary until Russia gets what it wants from Ukraine, but that's not a big improvement.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

Well given they went and spent a bunch of time and money building a bridge from Russia to the Crimea just before they started the blockade it would seem that they’re planning for the long term.

I mean, what makes you say there is a blockade at all? A blockade is a long-term project; seizing ships, or closing off a shipping lane briefly doesn't count.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I mean, what makes you say there is a blockade at all? A blockade is a long-term project; seizing ships, or closing off a shipping lane briefly doesn't count.

They’ve closed Crimea’s borders on land and sea. I posted this useful map from the co-chair of the European Commission for Foreign Relations yesterday.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Russia knows there is no coherent western response from Europe, NATO and the US to it's aggressive actions in Ukraine.

It is exerting it's influence and authority in the region, displaying what it can and will do in order to ensure local polities are aware of that. Classic imperial power play. I doubt they actually want that much concrete territory or anything other than what they currently have, although sole control of access to Azov would be of strategic use to them.

• Options

They’ve closed Crimea’s borders on land and sea. I posted this useful map from the co-chair of the European Commission for Foreign Relations yesterday.

Again, a temporary closing doesn't mean a blockade.

I just watched some ships pass under the bridge here:
    https://www.vesselfinder.com/

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Again, a temporary closing doesn't mean a blockade.

I just watched some ships pass under the bridge here:
    https://www.vesselfinder.com/

What was the flag on the ship? Because I'm not seeing a lot (any) Ukrainian on that map.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.