As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yippie Ki-Yay, Mother[love]er

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey Lexi I might need you to yell at someone for me in a few months

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Alexis, change your name to Lexi to confuse Graham.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The important thing is to be happy, and do things that make you happy. If you're able to do that, or work to that goal, you're fortunate.

So, if dating, or trying to date is stressful and makes you feel bad, stop dating.

Take some time to love yourself and I don't just mean masturbating, I mean take care of yourself. Try to eat better, try to do one thing every day that makes you happier

Try new things and see what you enjoy

Maybe it's painting, maybe it's writing, maybe it's walking or taking care of an animal.

You should be happy with yourself, or making efforts to get there, before you try to date.

• Options
    Oh well in that case no dating for me ever

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That’s a long vacant stare out a window for this one

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    the sis-outlaw's Dirty Santa party is usually my social highlight for the year (now that i go to PAXSouth, it has strong competition.)
    • 20 or 30 dollar limit, i forget. people may go above it on occasion, but it's a pretty easygoing group, and no drama from it so far.
    • whatever it is, someone genuinely thought it was funny or otherwise appealing. no one's trying to be edgy.
    • the gift can be stolen twice, and is locked on its third owner (though there are occasional side dealings afterward); the person stolen from can also steal (though not to immediately get 'their' item back), or can choose an unopened gift.
    • family and friends, age range from 20s to 40s.
    there are usually
    --multiple liquor choices (samplers, the inexpensive but good, unusual like the whiskey brought from Chinese duty-free, etc.),
    --multiple board or card games,
    --As-Seen-On-TV items (the year i technically won booty pop undies, they made the rounds of the party and ended up who knows where, but i wrangled a Chewbacca rasta tee i actually wore, so i got the better deal, really),
    --a shake-weight (initially: fad gift, now: still reliable for a 'batin' joke, but apparently useful?),
    --and a box making a return appearance paired with something desirable.

i once crammed two small-medium boxes full of boxes of tea samplers. (sidebar: the beau's grandparents had discovered that i also like tea, so for several gift-giving occasions, had given me boxes of vanilla chai and chai samplers. i had Way Too Much of this tea, i could not drink this much tea, i already had lots of tea before adding this glut of tea, and finally had to ask them to stop; turns out those were extras or freebies they'd been getting with their tea, hah!) these two boxes of similarish size were covered in the exact same wrapping paper and meant as a single gift; the hosts decided my beau WOULD play Dirty Santa, and perfect, you have two boxes already, all set. i did try to tell them. maximum universe-laughing: both boxes went to each half of a couple. after his now-wife opened the second box, the guy, at least, declared that he loved tea, so he was pleased to try it. i think a few boxes made it into their packages the next year.

one year, the beau chose an item that he saw on an Amazon flash sale, knew instinctively i would hate it, but it perfectly fit that gag/possibly useful niche he strives for -- the iPotty. someone with a child thereabouts that age snagged it.

last year, the squatty potty someone brought was both highly reviled by its initial recipient (reminding him of unpleasant encounters with squat toilets), and eagerly 'stolen' by his sibling.

several years ago, someone brought a dildo, lube, and condoms iirc, along with some other banal thing for contrast/to up the appeal. general laughter, passing around of the dildo... but despite attempting to play it off and laugh along with everyone else, it was clearly uncomfortable for the person/couple who had won it. i believe that was their first and last appearance at the party, though i think the fellow, single, showed back up recently. personally, given *gesticulates* repression in our society, i'm okay with some mild discomfort possibly raising one's awareness (especially in the context of a group that takes a subject in stride and is able to find humor), but there are different types and degrees of offensive. i don't recall any sex toys since.

it is always surprising and interesting to me to see what items immediately appeal, keenly, to one person only, or are hotly desired because of, well, broad desirability, or due to in-jokes; one year, there were strong declarations regarding this sealed vintage action figure of ..a singer? wrestler? i clearly don't remember, but it was hilarious at the time. the packaging-taped, original-formula 4-loko sampler + debit giftcard was passed off to one of the youths because none of his elders wanted the booze, hand-imported and bonus cash or no. last year, i stole and secured my brother-outlaw's Christmas present whiskey because his wife accidentally included it in a last-minute package for someone who'd forgotten their gift; pulling off a final steal is a very low-key thrill of the heist.
    people tell stories to explain the selections, and in response to the reveals, it's a mild form of competition and a boisterous time.
    you definitely have to know your crowd if you want everyone to have fun.

but we generally chow down, get drunk at varying rates, eat oreo cookie balls, play Dirty Santa, snack on artichoke dip, then crack open either one of the new games or old reliables like Trivial Pursuit. it's a fun party anyway -- the Dirty Santa element just adds an event for part of the night, and the challenge/anticipation of finding an appropriate gift for it.

which
    omg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hello mother-lo-veer thread

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I should probably stop relying on ex who moved across the country a while ago in an amicable and foreseen breakup for conversation

Like we’re friendly
    Dating other ppl etc

Generally converse
    But then at times it’s easy for it to turn into just lots of like complaining about things idk, filling up boredom
    Too much reliance

Break time

I need one of these gd dates of mine to work out though
    Hopefully this Sundays will

But also I need to be better on like... being alone with my brain, because it’s always like I’ll go text someone, or read the forums, or refresh Instagram etc
    And that’s the real problem

Baby steps progress on that

poo
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Hello mother-lo-veer thread

Hi Platy!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    One of Girl Gang just sent me a house listing for rent. And I was planning to move soon too

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    How does anyone find rentals? I am looking.

• Options
    Crossing your fingers hard that it’s not attractive to land developers helps

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i literally tripped over the sign that they were building/accepting reservations for my current place, so i am a terrible resource

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Birthdays always make me so god damn depressed

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Padmapper worked well for us when we rental hunted.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    the sis-outlaw's Dirty Santa party is usually my social highlight for the year (now that i go to PAXSouth, it has strong competition.)
    • 20 or 30 dollar limit, i forget. people may go above it on occasion, but it's a pretty easygoing group, and no drama from it so far.
    • whatever it is, someone genuinely thought it was funny or otherwise appealing. no one's trying to be edgy.
    • the gift can be stolen twice, and is locked on its third owner (though there are occasional side dealings afterward); the person stolen from can also steal (though not to immediately get 'their' item back), or can choose an unopened gift.
    • family and friends, age range from 20s to 40s.
    there are usually
    --multiple liquor choices (samplers, the inexpensive but good, unusual like the whiskey brought from Chinese duty-free, etc.),
    --multiple board or card games,
    --As-Seen-On-TV items (the year i technically won booty pop undies, they made the rounds of the party and ended up who knows where, but i wrangled a Chewbacca rasta tee i actually wore, so i got the better deal, really),
    --a shake-weight (initially: fad gift, now: still reliable for a 'batin' joke, but apparently useful?),
    --and a box making a return appearance paired with something desirable.

i once crammed two small-medium boxes full of boxes of tea samplers. (sidebar: the beau's grandparents had discovered that i also like tea, so for several gift-giving occasions, had given me boxes of vanilla chai and chai samplers. i had Way Too Much of this tea, i could not drink this much tea, i already had lots of tea before adding this glut of tea, and finally had to ask them to stop; turns out those were extras or freebies they'd been getting with their tea, hah!) these two boxes of similarish size were covered in the exact same wrapping paper and meant as a single gift; the hosts decided my beau WOULD play Dirty Santa, and perfect, you have two boxes already, all set. i did try to tell them. maximum universe-laughing: both boxes went to each half of a couple. after his now-wife opened the second box, the guy, at least, declared that he loved tea, so he was pleased to try it. i think a few boxes made it into their packages the next year.

one year, the beau chose an item that he saw on an Amazon flash sale, knew instinctively i would hate it, but it perfectly fit that gag/possibly useful niche he strives for -- the iPotty. someone with a child thereabouts that age snagged it.

last year, the squatty potty someone brought was both highly reviled by its initial recipient (reminding him of unpleasant encounters with squat toilets), and eagerly 'stolen' by his sibling.

several years ago, someone brought a dildo, lube, and condoms iirc, along with some other banal thing for contrast/to up the appeal. general laughter, passing around of the dildo... but despite attempting to play it off and laugh along with everyone else, it was clearly uncomfortable for the person/couple who had won it. i believe that was their first and last appearance at the party, though i think the fellow, single, showed back up recently. personally, given *gesticulates* repression in our society, i'm okay with some mild discomfort possibly raising one's awareness (especially in the context of a group that takes a subject in stride and is able to find humor), but there are different types and degrees of offensive. i don't recall any sex toys since.

it is always surprising and interesting to me to see what items immediately appeal, keenly, to one person only, or are hotly desired because of, well, broad desirability, or due to in-jokes; one year, there were strong declarations regarding this sealed vintage action figure of ..a singer? wrestler? i clearly don't remember, but it was hilarious at the time. the packaging-taped, original-formula 4-loko sampler + debit giftcard was passed off to one of the youths because none of his elders wanted the booze, hand-imported and bonus cash or no. last year, i stole and secured my brother-outlaw's Christmas present whiskey because his wife accidentally included it in a last-minute package for someone who'd forgotten their gift; pulling off a final steal is a very low-key thrill of the heist.
    people tell stories to explain the selections, and in response to the reveals, it's a mild form of competition and a boisterous time.
    you definitely have to know your crowd if you want everyone to have fun.

but we generally chow down, get drunk at varying rates, eat oreo cookie balls, play Dirty Santa, snack on artichoke dip, then crack open either one of the new games or old reliables like Trivial Pursuit. it's a fun party anyway -- the Dirty Santa element just adds an event for part of the night, and the challenge/anticipation of finding an appropriate gift for it.

which
    omg

Important question. After the package is initially picked, is it opened? I'm of the preference that the packages aren't opened until its all over. All the theft is purely based on the weight, shape and decoration of the wrapping. Once everything is said and done then people open up their packages and see what they actually got. It makes it quite thrilling.

One of my favorite things is to buy 4-5 chocolate bars for weight then some small interesting item. People are always curious about a small heavy package, and it usually gets swapped around a few times.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Janson wrote: »
    Padmapper worked well for us when we rental hunted.

Depends where you are. It's great in tech-y suburbs or cities. Some places that I've looked at, Zillow or Craigslist are the best options (Hotpads is usually equal to Padmapper). Look at the local newspaper's classifieds, too. Less information but you might see something.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Padmapper, Walkscore, Kijiji (though that's probably just a Canadian one), Facebook has a marketplace option now, or finding a property management company that appeals to you/has good reviews

Also sometimes just walking around a neighbourhood you like means you can find spots that may have rental signs up but nothing currently posted

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Specific ones, or any?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Specific ones, or any?

Specific ones specifically mine

• Options

Specific ones, or any?

My condolences/happy birthday.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Specific ones, or any?

Look, I’d be willing to take it off your hands so you stay youthful forever, but I will need you to throw in at least one soul.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    How does anyone find rentals? I am looking.

I used Zillow and Redfin generally when I was looking for places.

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Specific ones, or any?

Look, I’d be willing to take it off your hands so you stay youthful forever, but I will need you to throw in at least one soul.

Important note: whose soul is not actually specified....

Jus' saying....

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I look for apartments on craigslist because I'm a trash person

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I look for apartments on craigslist because I'm a trash person

I've actually had really good luck finding apartments on Craigslist. You have to wade through a lot of crap, but there's definitely good stuff on there, especially if you prefer renting from an individual or smaller company.

• Options
    Craigslist is, at a minimum, no worse than most dedicated apartment-finder websites I've used.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Specific ones, or any?

My condolences/happy birthday.

It's one of those like, oh I can feel a depressive episode coming on and this sucks

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's better than a lot of the dedicated websites around here, for sure

It's just also terrible most of the time

• Options
    Craigslist here is almost entirely scams

I definitely saw some places for "rent' that were pictures of condos I had seen for sale previously, and I reported them to the actual owners

Kijiji covers the same bases as Craigslist while being less shady/scammy

Steam
  • Options
    I've slept like crap all week and gone off of any sort of exercise and healthy cooking schedule I was trying to stick to
    All I can do is hope I can reset over the weekend and get in a better headspace for all that

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

Specific ones, or any?

Important note: whose soul is not actually specified....

Jus' saying....

mori volunteers as Tribute!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've slept like crap all week and gone off of any sort of exercise and healthy cooking schedule I was trying to stick to
    All I can do is hope I can reset over the weekend and get in a better headspace for all that

Thanksgiving break completely threw off my entire pro-healthy schedule.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm so goddamned stressed about work and my insurance that I cannot really sleep the past few weeks

I'm mostly running on endorphins because things with my girlfriend are going so amazingly well that it's carrying me the rest of the day

That's not even a little bit healthy, so I'm doing a weekend sleep reset somehow? And going to gym Monday

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    My eating has gone real bad and I gotta try and course correct

On Monday I get meal kits to start playing with at least, maybe I can start searching for more filling low calorie stuff so I can just stop....binging, which I tend to do out of boredom

Steam
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    My eating has gone real bad and I gotta try and course correct

On Monday I get meal kits to start playing with at least, maybe I can start searching for more filling low calorie stuff so I can just stop....binging, which I tend to do out of boredom

Work issues, coupled with Thanksgiving, break destabilized any semblance of a schedule I had.

I'm hoping next week things gets back into the ordinary swing (until Winter break...).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah the holidays got my meal plan hella fucky and I'm sort of course correcting. Problem is I get bored at work and end up hitting the vending machine for those oat and honey bars and fig Newton's throughout the day and I gotta cut that out. Plus I'm nickle and diming the shit out of myself.

Commiseration, Diet Thread. Commiseration.

• Options
    Date had to cancel cause she got sick.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I may be getting a christmas bonus this year so I'm anticipating maybe ordering some decent exercise machines for our garage

I really look forward to using them for a week and then looking at them every time I go in the garage afterward

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Before long they'll be buried under so much stuff you won't have to look at them.

On an unrelated note, do you know how much laundry you can hang on an exercise bike? It's more than you'd think.

This discussion has been closed.