Options

Best Christmas Movies [Chat]

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i wanna go snowboarding

but vegas tomorrow!!

Doin' any weird stuff in Vegas? Play with construction equipment, hiring a prostitute, Magic Mike Live! ?

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    "matt has a problem"

So one of my nephews is fire truck obsessed. And I found him a cardboard playset that is a fire truck. He can sit inside it, there are buttons and a steering wheel. And I got him a siren and lights to go on top. My sister is not pleased.

A+ Uncling though :D

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Christmas Vacation (the Joke option)
    i just finished my C# class with a 100 and prof asked if she could use my final project as a lesson for future classes because it was so good

i am basically a professional programmer now and also maybe the best programmer that has ever lived

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    I actually legit like Jingle all the Way.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i just finished my C# class with a 100 and prof asked if she could use my final project as a lesson for future classes because it was so good

i am basically a professional programmer now and also maybe the best programmer that has ever lived

I want to both awesome your achievement and agree with the sentiment

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    WTF no Home Alone?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    emnmnme wrote: »

Whoof, it's so weird to not hear the "normal" french voices for them.

AND That is despite the fact that the english dub voice actors sound very similar to the original ones.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there any good movie about a depressed person where the depression is never shown as fully going away but mostly as something that can be managed and decently ameliorated?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    No Jingle all the way, chat is invalid.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    wandering wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I bought Die Hard on blu ray off a friend while she had a moving sale last year. I suppose I should watch it.
    it's good to be informed about how wrong the people who say it's the best Christmas movie truly are

some day I plan on watching the Dawn of the Dead remake just so I can be justified when I narrow my eyes at people who say it's better than the original

??

But the gritty remake is better than the corny original.
    This is what I'm talking about, I know the fiery, pulsating hatred I feel right now is 100% justified, but I can't in good conscience say so until I watch the remake

• Options

Do you Quebecois get your own local voiceovers?

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I guess mammoth is the go to for LA area skiing? need to look into this. going to get a trip booked for the new year I reckon.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Die Hard
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    That's the thing, "disruption" is an ideology about rapid change with little preparation. That's the explicit motto, right--move fast and break stuff.

I agree that institutions should be audited and constantly pushed to reform and improve, but that's a process that demands rigour, research, expertise, familiarity, cost/benefit analysis, etc. It's a lengthy, neverending process, and trying to shortcut it has nasty long-term consequences

The problem is that institutions necessarily have to exist in an environment where they're competing with these forces of rapid change regardless. I think a major issue with our existing apparatus for putting our foot on the breaks is that it just can't keep up the pace and it's failing us for this reason. The pace has changed, we need people with more knowledge of these fields regulating faster.

I think there's something to be said for the need for more drastic interventions. Sometimes institutions hit dead ends and need to be ripped up and re-planted. Revolutions can become necessary, particularly when we're stuck in these configurations where what ought to be a normalizing process is shredding us in half. Acknowledging that there is significant cost involved in this is vital, but iterating isn't always an option.

do you have an example where iterating isn't an option

i agree it's not an option for like NYC and Boston cabbies, but Uber is also very very bad

it seems like you're excited about technology and so want to accelerate things and are thus tempted to decide things are failing us when in fact it just kind of always sucks you can't improve results by going faster

I mean, our data and security regulations are completely non-existent, net neutrality is dead, no one is lifting a finger against the massive tech trusts, our entire democracy was blind-sided by the advent of internet disinformation, social media platforms are completely unregulated, massive amounts of money has been stolen in cryptocurrency scams and we are being completely and utterly raided by corrupt oligarchs. Meanwhile companies like uber are manipulating existing laws to do things to contractors that were never imagined by the people who wrote them. Our government has no idea what the fuck is coming for it when machine learning reaches the next level of development and the human rights abuses that will inevitably lead to, and the people who realize this is all going on are completely powerless to do anything about it. Our institutions are being absolutely trampled.

I'm not excited about technology, I am horrified of it, and how completely under-prepared our institutions are to defend us from it.

All of this sounds to me to be trivially fixable with iteration. How disruptive an answer needs to be is kind of unrelated to how bad things get if we just ignore the question forever

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also not to grind on your nerves any further, but lunch with sister is still upcoming, yes?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    "matt has a problem"

So one of my nephews is fire truck obsessed. And I found him a cardboard playset that is a fire truck. He can sit inside it, there are buttons and a steering wheel. And I got him a siren and lights to go on top. My sister is not pleased.

A+ Uncling though :D

Yeah, he'll love it. And it annoys my mother. The woman who firmly believes she is the world's best gift giver, despite mountains of evidence that she sucks at it.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Home alone did teach me the true meaning of Christmas.

Which is that if you are being assaulted on the most holy of days, a homeless man who looks vaguely like Santa Clause will come save you at the last second by murdering your assailants with a shovel.

It really warmed my heart to the holiday.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    i wanna go snowboarding

but vegas tomorrow!!

Doin' any weird stuff in Vegas? Play with construction equipment, hiring a prostitute, Magic Mike Live! ?

shark diving!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Die Hard

AND That is despite the fact that the english dub voice actors sound very similar to the original ones.

That chef has a French accent. Sort of. That has to count for something. I still chuckled when he didn't want to family of horses to be separated.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    I guess mammoth is the go to for LA area skiing? need to look into this. going to get a trip booked for the new year I reckon.

Big bear is closer, Mammoth is better. There's one back side of the Angeles NF that's even smaller, but closer.

• Options
    i wanna go snowboarding

but vegas tomorrow!!

shark diving!

That's a pretty good weird thing! :surprised:

Have a good time, don't get eaten, all that usual stuff <3

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

No, we got the France versions. I mean, it's be weird to have an ancient gaul speak like a modern quebecois, you know.

Most cartoons from France we didn't redub. Too expensive when we already dub all the other foreign stuff.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Die Hard
    BSoB wrote: »
    Home alone did teach me the true meaning of Christmas.

Which is that if you are being assaulted on the most holy of days, a homeless man who looks vaguely like Santa Clause will come save you at the last second by murdering your assailants with a shovel.

It really warmed my heart to the holiday.

Point of order they were not murdered

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I didn’t see a Christmas story, so I guess nightmare before Christmas

• Options

No, we got the France versions. I mean, it's be weird to have an ancient gaul speak like a modern quebecois, you know.

Most cartoons from France we didn't redub. Too expensive when we already dub all the other foreign stuff.

Oh, right on :P Yeah I was curious, I'd never looked into it personally so I figured I'd ask someone on the inside :wink: Cool!

• Options
    I actually love the Mammoth area, but only in summer :)

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Umm Actually Christmas is a capitalist expansion of Christian Dogma
    Qanamil wrote: »

i am pretty much always there for arnold in a comedy

• Options

Oh, right on :P Yeah I was curious, I'd never looked into it personally so I figured I'd ask someone on the inside :wink: Cool!

fair question, don't apologize, lol.

• Options
    Which one has tim allen?

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    The Ice Harvest
    yeah Big Bear is just a 2 hour (depending on traffic it's LA im legally obligated to say that) drive vs 5 hours for Mammoth, Mammoth gets just fucking dumped on though with Pow so definitely worth checking out at least once if you're in the area

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Which one has tim allen?

The Santa Clause series

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Ice Harvest
    Elendil wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

i am pretty much always there for arnold in a comedy

You would have loved his stint as the governor of California!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    VishNub wrote: »
    Which one has tim allen?

Death Note

Don't want to be in Santa's little black book

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    yeah Big Bear is just a 2 hour (depending on traffic it's LA im legally obligated to say that) drive vs 5 hours for Mammoth, Mammoth gets just fucking dumped on though with Pow so definitely worth checking out at least once if you're in the area

Fun fact: "Powder" was the third thing I came up with after reading "Pow", despite the context

First was - Is that a really racist way to refer to natives? (Powwow)

Second - ... America doesn't keep POWs on a mountain in California, right? :P

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    It's a Wonderful Life is the best movie about how you're never going to be able to follow your dreams, followed by Up
    The worst fate that can ever befall Donna Reed is that she becomes...

A LIBRARIAN! Dun dun DUUUUUUN!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest
    Oh god a new seattle pro sports team to disappoint everyone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    It's a Wonderful Life is the best movie about how you're never going to be able to follow your dreams, followed by Up
    The worst fate that can ever befall Donna Reed is that she becomes...

A LIBRARIAN! Dun dun DUUUUUUN!

Yeah that was one of those "She just went from one fetish to another."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh god a new seattle pro sports team to disappoint everyone.

Do we have a name for those butts yet? :surprised:

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Elf

Elf is the best christmas movie, how is it not an option!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.