As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    So we are 100% getting a government shut down on Friday just to try and change the news cycle then.

Just pointing out that Congress approved funding until Dec. 21.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So we are 100% getting a government shut down on Friday just to try and change the news cycle then.

Is that a new thing passed, or just what the old Congress passed and the expected date of "Whoops, we're fucking assholes again" budget expiry?

Cause it's one thing to do a quick temporary measure to put it off a couple weeks. It's another to set a relatively longer term one that you know a) expires just before Christmas, and b) has to be passed in a lame duck session.

Did the Democrats push for an additional two weeks and got it rebuffed, or were they fundamentally stupid?

Because NO Democrat should be wanting this fight at that time. And NO Democrat should be thinking Republicans won't use it as a bargaining chip.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Is that a new thing passed, or just what the old Congress passed and the expected date of "Whoops, we're fucking assholes again" budget expiry?

Cause it's one thing to do a quick temporary measure to put it off a couple weeks. It's another to set a relatively longer term one that you know a) expires just before Christmas, and b) has to be passed in a lame duck session.

Did the Democrats push for an additional two weeks and got it rebuffed, or were they fundamentally stupid?

Because NO Democrat should be wanting this fight at that time. And NO Democrat should be thinking Republicans won't use it as a bargaining chip.

It means whatever Trump may try to distract from the coming Muellerstorm, he can't shutdown the government as a distraction.

Congress passed an extension yesterday so as to not interfere with the Bush I ceremonies.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

It was a short term CR

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Are we past the danger of Trump getting Mueller fired? I haven't seen anything about that recently.

If Trump was smart, we would be, as Whitaker can do a whole lot to interfere with the investigation without outright firing Mueller.

Trump is not smart, however, and it's totally possible he'll just have a bad day and decide to smash the investigation, instead of letting Whitaker subtly squelch it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Are we past the danger of Trump getting Mueller fired? I haven't seen anything about that recently.

If Trump was smart, we would be, as Whitaker can do a whole lot to interfere with the investigation without outright firing Mueller.

Trump is not smart, however, and it's totally possible he'll just have a bad day and decide to smash the investigation, instead of letting Whitaker subtly squelch it.

Part of the problem is that Whitaker entered the office under a cloud, seems to have a past full of indictable offenses, and is probably in the same "Why didn't I stay under the radar?" panic state as the rest of Trump's cronies. That doesn't mean they aren't all stupid enough to go for broke, but Trump does not seem capable of appointing people who aren't career white collar criminals.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Part of the problem is that Whitaker entered the office under a cloud, seems to have a past full of indictable offenses, and is probably in the same "Why didn't I stay under the radar?" panic state as the rest of Trump's cronies. That doesn't mean they aren't all stupid enough to go for broke, but Trump does not seem capable of appointing people who aren't career white collar criminals.

Those are the circles he moves in, the people he knows.
    (Also reality "celebrities" and dictators. The intersection of that particular Venn diagram, I leave to you.)

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Yeah the applicants for administrative positions anymore seem to be limited to grifters and/or corrupt amateurs with nothing to lose. Anyone with a livelihood or reputation to uphold might want him to endorse their candidacy but would be nuts to take a position within the administration.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Whitaker also likely has no idea wtf he is doing.

The funny thing is that Sessions was probably the most competent person Trump had. That evil fucking goblin at least knew how to run the DOJ to some degree and seemed perfectly willing to stick with the standard Republican tactic of playing the long-game on destroying america and oppressing minorities and women.

• Options
    Sessions was stupid enough to perjure himself by answering a question nobody asked, but he was also smart enough to recuse himself when that became known instead of further putting his ass out on the line.

So yeah, he was probably the most competent person in the Trump admin, but that's more an indictment of the Trump admin. (no pun intended)

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Sessions was stupid enough to perjure himself by answering a question nobody asked, but he was also smart enough to recuse himself when that became known instead of further putting his ass out on the line.

So yeah, he was probably the most competent person in the Trump admin, but that's more an indictment of the Trump admin. (no pun intended)

Sessions wasn't stupid to perjure himself. Like all of them, they have to lie because the alternative is admitting they are traitors and it's not like the GOP is gonna hold them to account for lying.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Sessions wasn't stupid to perjure himself. Like all of them, they have to lie because the alternative is admitting they are traitors and it's not like the GOP is gonna hold them to account for lying.

The stupidity comes from the fact that nobody asked him the question, he just offered a false answer of his own accord.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Sessions perjured himself before Congress by falsely stating something completely unpromtped to answer a question that wasn't asked. He could have just not said anything.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that he lied when scrambling to avoid answering a question that was, in essence, about whether he would recuse himself or not.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    If Sessions didn't recuse himself what would have been the recourse? It seems like they could have continued breaking norms and no one would have been able to do anything to Sessions.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If Sessions didn't recuse himself what would have been the recourse? It seems like they could have continued breaking norms and no one would have been able to do anything to Sessions.

It's tough to say. I'm sure the president sees Sessions recusal as the snowball on top of the Mueller hill but it wasn't the accidental perjury that should have led to his recusal. That was just proper ethics because it was an investigation into a campaign and a transition team he was part of. The pressure to recuse increased after Sessions' testimony but it was suggested immediately.

Also, it was Comey's firing that led to Mueller's appointment so the recusal could have meant everything or it could have meant nothing.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

This was early in the era of Trump, and a lot of people operated under the assumption that things like norms and accountability still existed.

If Sessions was appointed today, he wouldn't bother to recuse himself because he would have discovered that even basic lip service to proper protocol is unnecessary. The established answer to "will you recuse yourself" now is "lolz fuck you."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

This was early in the era of Trump, and a lot of people operated under the assumption that things like norms and accountability still existed.

If Sessions was appointed today, he wouldn't bother to recuse himself because he would have discovered that even basic lip service to proper protocol is unnecessary. The established answer to "will you recuse yourself" now is "lolz fuck you."

If and when Dems have control again, a lot of norms are going to have to be codified.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Roger Stone just invoked the fifth in regards to testifying in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/politics/roger-stone-fifth-amendment/index.html

What was it Trump said about people who plead the fifth?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Flynn's sentencing memo drops at 7 eastern today. I hope it is interesting.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Roger Stone just invoked the fifth in regards to testifying in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

It should be noted that he was not being subpoenaed, he was just being asked to appear before a panel and provide documents.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It should be noted that he was not being subpoenaed, he was just being asked to appear before a panel and provide documents.

Which I should hope makes it likely that in a month or so he'll be getting subpoenaed.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Ken White (ie- Popehat) has an explainer up in response to the taking of the 5th, noting that the 5th Amendment has a complicated application with regards to the fact that the act of providing documents itself can be self-incriminating irrespective of the contents of the documents themselves. Stone's lawyers are specifically citing the previous time this came up in Hubbell.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

What on earth courts are open at 7pm!?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I was wondering what was taking so long.

This is apparently my life now. Eagerly waiting all day for a report on a criminal investigation.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    If I did a tenth of what she did, I'd be in jail today.

Yeah, how’s that working out, traitor?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

What on earth courts are open at 7pm!?

It’s not a court case or hearing or anything like that. It’s just filing paperwork. Mueller could do it at one minute to midnight if he felt like driving us all crazy.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    He’s got until 11:59 to e file it. Gonna be a long night potentially

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Which you cant actually take the 5th on. If you already wrote it down you do not have testimonial protections

Edit: at least that was my understanding

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    If I did a tenth of what she did, I'd be in jail today.

Yeah, how’s that working out, traitor?

He's arguing that she didn't do enough and not finishing his statement -
    If I did a tenth of what she did, I'd be in jail today. If I did ten times more, I'd be running the jail.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Hahaha, the only way this reaction would be more outlandish is if he shouted "NOT GUILTY!" in response.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Hahaha, the only way this reaction would be more outlandish is if he shouted "NOT GUILTY!" in response.

Well then he'd just be Trump

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    While we’re all kicking about waiting for the Flynn memo to drop, people might recall this tweet from Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani, in which he ranted Trump style about Mueller’s investigation and inadvertently created a link to a domain that was snatched up within moments.

Well, either Giuliani finally noticed or someone explained it to him. Instead of deleting the tweet, this is how he responded.

Yes, this is the same Giuliani who was, for a time, running Trump’s cyber security initiatives.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Time to register .either as a top-level domain, I suppose.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't even understand what that second tweet is about. He's upset because he saw someone on Twitter posting something mean about Trump?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't even understand what that second tweet is about. He's upset because he saw someone on Twitter posting something mean about Trump?

He thinks Twitter let someone change his message to forward it to that website.

Basically he doesn't understand how the internet works, and that someone saw he accidentally made a url to a non-existent website and somebody else registered that url and made the link actually go somewhere.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

He seems to believe that twitter allowed someone to insert the link into his tweet, from what I can tell.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The second tweet is him not understanding what happened with the first. He doesn't get that he accidentally made a URL in a tweet. He doesn't understand that it lead nowhere at first. He doesn't understand that URLs can be purchased. He doesn't understand URLs are websites where people can put content. He actually thinks his tweet was somehow hijacked to do all that.

This is my favorite Old Man Yells at Cloud moment.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

e: Nevermind, beat'd so hard

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Someone hacked his tweet (?) to turn that typo into a URL. Twitter themselves may be involved/anti-Trumpers? Proof is because he made a similar typo later in the tweet and there was no URL created, so the first one had to be hacked or something.

That's the way I understand it at least.

beat'd so hard

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.