As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Rami wrote: »
    I enjoyed Scruggs as well.

The middle dragged a bit for me though, I enjoyed Meal Ticket but the back to back Meal Ticket and Gold Valley proved a bit too..dull for me. I probably would have enjoyed Gold a lot more had it not followed an already very minimalist dialogue/action section.

I think maybe viewing it as a movie, in one continuous sitting, perhaps wasn't the best way to watch it.
    I have to say that "Gold Valley" did little for me. There simply wasn't anything in it that stood out or grabbed my attention. The story seemed fairly obvious, the characters were minimal, and there were none of the stylistic flourishes of several of the other episodes.

At the same time, I definitely liked the film better because I watched it as a film, in one sitting, because thematically the episodes informed one another (and I even sort of expected everyone to turn up at the hotel in the final episode). Otherwise I might have stopped after the first couple of stories.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bah. Wrong thread.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    for watching movies at home, Tom Cruise provides this very important information:

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    What Tom doesn’t say, but I will, is that you should go ahead and adjust this setting for your parents and grandparents, who probably have no idea what this is or how to fix it. They’ll enjoy their movies more without ever knowing why or what you did. (And put a parental block on Fox News while you’re at it.)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    No, fuck YOU Tom. Start filming your movies at 60FPS like the Japanese and Koreans are doing.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    No, fuck YOU Tom. Start filming your movies at 60FPS like the Japanese and Koreans are doing.

:-1:

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You know, in this day and age of trying to be hip and ironic with announcements, I greatly appreciated how simple and rather genuine Cruise and McQuarrie are about that. It's simple and to the point without being pompous or being dated in a year. It's the kind of announcement/message that would actually succeed in helping out non tech savvy or older people.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

:-1:

Japanese and Korean films also look like crap on the setting. It's not a video game FPS issue.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I STRONGLY encourage everyone to listen to the Blank Check podcast episode on Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, which gives a nice surface level explanation of the science behind film and cameras, why the 24 FPS standard for film works so unbelievably well, and why higher FPSes look unnatural.

Also for maybe the funniest called shot of a joke I’ve ever heard.

• Options
    Higher frame rates improve the level detail of a scene. I'm much rather actually be able to see what's happening in the movie instead of watching a blurry mess scroll across the screen. Modern movies are basically video games with all the CGI they use.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Higher frame rates improve the level detail of a scene. I'm much rather actually be able to see what's happening in the movie instead of watching a blurry mess scroll across the screen. Modern movies are basically video games with all the CGI they use.

Except if you're watching a movie filmed at 24 fps at 120 fps you're watching a bunch of interpolated frames that add no real information

• Options

For real listen to that podcast. Higher frame rates in film leads to a level of incredible detail where everything just looks fake. Where you can tell that a wall on a set is freshly painted. Where you can see the translucence in actors’ teeth. Where nobody can wear stage makeup because you can see it. Where contrast and focus just straight up don’t work. Where you can’t do hard cuts because it’ll make people nauseous.

It looks “real”, but movies are not real. They are fake. You need the detail removed to create a perception of realism.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    This sounds a lot like when HD became a thing.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Except if you're watching a movie filmed at 24 fps at 120 fps you're watching a bunch of interpolated frames that add no real information

That's why I want them to film movies at 60FPS, as I directly started a few posts ago. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Youtube but 60FPS looks so fucking good to me these days. It doesn't look unnatural. It looks smooth. Watching movies at 24fps just looks blurry. It's especially obvious during long panning shots. Any inconsistency in the encoding comes across looking even worse where you see parts of the frame moving at different speed to others.

Edit: And interpolation most certainly DOES add detail. It's just not 100% accurate detail. It's getting better and better every day though. MadVR's smoothmotion looks really good, even from 2 feet away on a computer monitor.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Did you know if you are moving everything looks blurry?

Shake your head back and forth.

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »

In same ways it is. Very few things are shot at HFR right now so set designers, makeup artists and effects designers don't have the tricks to make it looks right

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

My eyes aren't fixed in their sockets, so no, actually. It does not look blurry.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Movies were more then HD before HD came along.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    God, The Post is such a bland fucking movie.

The Post was created in a lab to win Oscars.

Honestly I hate this kind of movie, where the message of the movie is: Look at these brave and Heroic people and their story, if you give us an Oscar it would be like giving them one by proxy.

See; Selma, Sully, Spotlight and that is just the S category from the last 10 years.

See also: Biopics in general.

Boyhood took twelve years to maaaaaake

stoklasa.jpg

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

My eyes aren't fixed in their sockets, so no, actually. It does not look blurry.

I mean, it does and also our brain pulls a lot of crazy tricks to make it harder for you to notice.

I don't know why having your eyes fixed in your socket would matter honestly.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah. 35mm is equivalent to 4K, and 70mm is close to 12K.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The Hobbit in 48 fps looked like a 1980's made-for-tv movie with how incredibly fake everything looked.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah. 35mm is equivalent to 4K, and 70mm is close to 12K.

I'm not sure if its a conversion thing or what but there's definitely some HD conversions of old movies where shit jumps out at you

like wires or makeup that are totally noticeable on blu-ray that were fine on 35mm

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Let's compromise and film at 42fps

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Don't be ridiculous, the human eye isn't capable of processing more than around 38,000 fps!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Only boomers use motion interpolation... except for Tom Cruise that is.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    He didn't mention taking a break from shooting a completely unnecessary sequel or reboot or whatever that will likely take a huge shit all over a beloved film.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He didn't mention taking a break from shooting a completely unnecessary sequel or reboot or whatever that will likely take a huge shit all over a beloved film.

I mean, if in the movie it turns out the machismo of the Air Force is toxic and damaging, that could be an interesting way to go.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The Hobbit in 48 fps looked like a 1980's made-for-tv movie with how incredibly fake everything looked.

I really likd the 48 fps, it made everything clearer.

yeah, sure, I could see that some of the "metal" was rubber etc. but that's an issue with prop quality.

I could also what the hell was going on in what would otherwise be a confusing action scene, which is something I appreaciate a lot more.

Maybe it's just bad eye sight on my part, but I am sad that the 48fps thing hasn't caught on. I personally liked it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, if in the movie it turns out the machismo of the Air Force

record_scratch.mp3

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The FPS debate is a side argument, a red herring. The real message to take away is that Frame Interpolation is a BAD THING and shouldn't be used when watching film or TV shows (that aren't, like, sports or news coverage). It helps neither high framerate movies nor traditional 24 doubled-FPS movies.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The FPS debate is a side argument, a red herring. The real message to take away is that Frame Interpolation is a BAD THING and shouldn't be used when watching film or TV shows (that aren't, like, sports or news coverage). It helps neither high framerate movies or traditional 24 doubled-FPS movies.

If I switch between the sports and cinema or game picture modes on my TV, what're the odds that it's flipping that setting?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Glad I'm not the only one who calls it the soap opera effect.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The FPS debate is a side argument, a red herring. The real message to take away is that Frame Interpolation is a BAD THING and shouldn't be used when watching film or TV shows (that aren't, like, sports or news coverage). It helps neither high framerate movies or traditional 24 doubled-FPS movies.

If I switch between the sports and cinema or game picture modes on my TV, what're the odds that it's flipping that setting?

Most Game Mode settings remove Frame Interpolation, but there are definitely a number of TVs out there that do very little when you flip between the different modes (like, adjust the Contrast and Brightness and Hue slightly LOL).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »

record_scratch.mp3

Wait, are they Navy pilots? I haven't seen the movie in forever.

Same idea, though.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

record_scratch.mp3

Same idea, though.

Shit, I believe you'd get your ass kicked for sayin somethin like that, man

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

record_scratch.mp3

Same idea, though.

record_scratch.mp3
    :D

And yeah, Top Gun's all about the Navy.

Elvenshae on
  • Options

record_scratch.mp3

Same idea, though.

See, if you'd remember the flying parts of that incredibly forgettable movie, you'd have known this because they literally take off from an aircraft carrier at the end.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is Top Gun really a beloved film? I mean lets be honest here its not exactly The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.