As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Oh yeah I completely bombed my ketosis over the past weekend and I'll be doing it again in another 3-4 weeks. And again during PAX South.

The other ten months though will be fine. Just need to get through mid-January, though I hadn't lost much prior to this, maybe about ten pounds or so.

Yeah I am not TOO upset about it, I'd rather relax for the holidays. It's worth the break.

I'm down about 50 pounds so far, overall, so even with the stall, decent progress.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Over the last two years or so I've gone from 300+ to 215 pounds.

Previously I tried Keto but couldn't stick with it long term.

What has been working for me is intermittent fasting.

I started by full day fasting one day a week, then moved to two (Mondays and Thursdays), but I found myself over indulging the day after.

I switched to an 8 hour food window everyday with 16 hours of fasting (mostly while I sleep), kept that up for a few months, then shrank my food window down to four hours a day for the last few months.

My weight loss stalled, so now I am trying a one hour food window.

It is hard to over indulge when you only give yourself a limited time to eat in.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    IF is great, but it's only a meal timing strategy. A lot of people go into it expecting magic results, but your calories still need to be in the right range for it to have any effect. If you're down to only allowing yourself to eat in an hour long window every day, I would recommend making other changes rather than fasting in an ever more extreme fashion.

Notably, you might need to do a maintenance cycle to resensitise to low calories.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That's seriously impressive progress though! Nice work!

• Options
    I forgot to say that! Losing 75lbs is incredibly impressive, great work.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    @Lost Salient

I pulled a hammie a couple of times

It took about two weeks to get back to normal

If you tore it, I'm really not sure what to tell you

I can work with two weeks! I'm going to try cycling in tomorrow I think and see if it does me good or bad or neutral.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I like IF because I work 3 12s a week and it's easy to just not eat at work. I've seen pretty good results too. Also I've always been fine with not eating for long stretches, so it's a good fit for me.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Have a half marathon next weekend and trying not to stress about it.

I signed up on it kinda on a whim so I don't have any set goals except finishing without any stopping breaks and hopefully with negative splits.

The only thing is that I ran this half 4 years ago, after training extensively for it (it was my 2nd time doing it at the time) and I just fell apart. Nothing clicked, I think my body gave out at mile 6 and I walked most of the rest. It was the most disastrous race I ever ran and a huge demotivator. That experience and me branching off into other non running activities (yay climbing) is why I haven't ran any other halfs till earlier this year.

Would really be nice to redeem myself in a way.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about doing longer runs, I don't think I'd sign up for an official race but I'm slowly approaching my goal of 8 minute miles on my 3 mile run so I'm not sure what I should aim for next.

I'm a little concerned about losing some of the fitness I've gained this year, the place I run is a dirt road that stays iced once it gets to that condition. Thankfully we've had a strangely mild winter (again) so I've been able to stick to my schedule. Once it does ice over I might try going to a nearby town that does a decent job of plowing to run, though for some reason the effort of getting into a vehicle to go running stymies me frequently.

If anyone has any recommendations for running tights that are good below 20F I'd love to hear them, the local store had stuff that was ~120$ and I was hoping to spend much less than that. I tried wearing sweatpants over my normal tights on the day it was 8F here, which worked okay but was really uncomfortable and actually a bit too hot.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Get some cleats

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Question for any any runners out there:

Does anyone know of a pace calculator that would help me calculate negative splits?

Have a half marathon this weekend and I'm aiming to try to run a 10 min average pace while also doing negative splits. Want to try to figure out what pace I should be doing in the first miles, then pick it up.

Obv I could do it by hand but wanted to see if there was an easier way.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    RunCalc.net has a tab that does that.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Feasting season is freakin killing me. Might be an inadvertent resolutioner just to try and lose what I've thrown on in the past 3 weeks.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's a negative split? I don't understand what split pace means, much less negative split

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Split pace is picking a target time and dividing it by the number of km/mi you are travelling. Taking Kyougu's time into consideration, it's a 2h10m-ish target with 10 minute averages over 13 miles.

Negative splits average out the same, but the earlier ones are slower than your target and the later ones are quicker. The degree of how slow to start and how fast to run at the end kind of depends on the percentage of difference you want to mess with.

So if you're running five miles and want a 10 minute average time, you could have it roll 10:30, 10:15, 10:00, 9:45, then 9:30.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Pretty much.

It takes a bit of work, since I think everyone's main impulse is to sprint at the start, but since I started doing it on my races it's paid off tons. There's no better feeling than actually having energy towards the end and passing people.

And this weekend's half has pretty much a steady incline from mile 3 to 6, so I want to make sure I don't burn myself out trying to go too fast on those inclines.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I did some home weights stuff at the weekend, as I often do. Nothing too intense but something.

Anyway felt fine on Sunday, woke up yesterday, had golfer's elbow. Fucking sucks! And doesn't feel much better today. Hopefully it'll soothe itself soon. Want kind of rest time past "it doesn't hurt any more" do you guys recommend for light but painful strains like that?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Honestly if it's just soreness and not "oh shit I may have actually injured myself" pain, getting some good blood flow through the area should help. Gentle rubbing and a nice hot soak in the tub, and if you feel up to it, something like empty-handed curls just to get the muscle and tendons moving?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I finally made it back to the gym

Feels good, y'all

Did some light weight work on the machines, walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes

I don't think I lost too much progress on the weight machines, but I am "feeling it_ which is good?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Honestly if it's just soreness and not "oh shit I may have actually injured myself" pain, getting some good blood flow through the area should help. Gentle rubbing and a nice hot soak in the tub, and if you feel up to it, something like empty-handed curls just to get the muscle and tendons moving?

It's not just soreness, my arm won't fully straighten without pain, and the pain isn't regular muscle burn. I think it's an actual strain, admittedly I am not an expert

Solar on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Did my final race of the year, a half marathon. I was really excited for it, specially since I had run an 8 mile race in Thanksgiving that I killed.

So of course I woke up sick that morning.

I didn't feel horrible at first, but while waiting for it to start I was sneezing and my nose much more runnier than usual so I got worried. And yep, when the race started I knew I was in trouble.

No mile ever felt super comfortable and I never felt like I got into my zone but I somehow manage a steady pace till mile 10 when I finally broke into walking/running pace.

I didn't meet my goal of 2:10:00 (got a 2:16:00 time) BUT that's still a 10 minute improvement over my last half marathon 2 months ago, and this was a much harder course and I clearly wasn't 100%.

Excited to keep running seriously I 2019!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    So I'm hitting a bit of a milestone tonight, when I started working on my health, before anything else I started on the exercise bike. One exercise bike in particular: an old Matrix Fitness U7 model. I had one goal when I got on that bike 3 years ago: lose as much weight as possible. I didn't really know alot about training but I knew I was 300+ pounds, just needed any kind of vigorous activity in my life to get the ball rolling and that I definitely remembered that the bike was better for my shitty knees than a treadmill. However a secondary goal was then set pretty immediately.

You see the matrix U7 model, like many other stationary bikes, tracks the difficulty of its programs in levels, and I am ever so fond of chasing levels. I hit my first goal over a year ago, but the second goal has still eluded me. It's like an old school CRPG seemingly, the difficulty in gaining gaining levels is exponential. Getting past level 15 is half the reason I started lifting, stopped worrying about weight loss, and worrying more about balancing my weight around fat loss and muscle gains.

Tonight I'm finally hitting max level for a full program. Maybe this one time I'll actually hit 20th level.

Edit: accidentally posted a draft of this way too early.

Sleep on
  • Options
    So in weird observations on the contrast between charting weight trends rather than exact daily measurements. Last friday morning I weighed 209.5 lbs. This morning I weighed 209.5 lbs. That's a pretty good hold on the weight I've been maintaining for the past year or so. We're just going to ignore the part where I weighed 220 lbs on tuesday morning.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    So in weird observations on the contrast between charting weight trends rather than exact daily measurements. Last friday morning I weighed 209.5 lbs. This morning I weighed 209.5 lbs. That's a pretty good hold on the weight I've been maintaining for the past year or so. We're just going to ignore the part where I weighed 220 lbs on tuesday morning.

I mean, I carry around a good 10 pounds in water weight, at least, from what I can tell. And if I measure multiple times a day it fluctuates wildly.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like if you deliberate on your weight anything more than "well, that's a number", then for the sake of your mental well-being you shouldn't be weighing yourself daily.

Or at least that's how I approach it.

• Options
    Yeah, daily weighinga are not best for everyone, and almost no one should weigh multiple times a day.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I once weighed myself twice in a day because it was midsummer in Boston and I'd just biked around the city for three hours and I was fairly sure I had begun a mummification process. I lost 1.5kg in sweat!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I once weighed myself twice in a day because it was midsummer in Boston and I'd just biked around the city for three hours and I was fairly sure I had begun a mummification process. I lost 1.5kg in sweat!

I always enjoyed doing a weigh before and after an all day hike. It's crazy how much it can move after a ton of exercise.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

I mean, I carry around a good 10 pounds in water weight, at least, from what I can tell. And if I measure multiple times a day it fluctuates wildly.

Oh i know what caused that rapid fluctuation. Feasting season has been rigorous this year. Can't wait for February, and a return to the normal rotation.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What's a good length of time to be in what they call "peak heart rate" for your age, if you're doing cardio

I'm aiming for like an hour because if I can do it then why not but I am also haunted by images of my heart saying "fuck it" and jumping out

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    That's about what I aim for.
    Unless you have other medical conditions it should be okay.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm up to 15 minutes =p

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Wife and I officially started IF over the weekend! Any good suggestions for what to do when we inevitably get to the maintenance period? We are currently doing the 16-8 version, and plan on trying to use this eating method permanently going forward.

• Options
    So I have never really done any weightlifting or strength training, but now that the holidays are over and I am back on the diet, I would also like to supplement the weight loss with some muscle gain.

Where do I fucking start? I have access to a small gym in my apt complex with some free weights, some various weight machines.

• Options
    My standard advice for beginner weightlifting is to check out the book Starting Strength. It's not perfect but it covers the basics really well.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Starting Strength is great if you have access to a barbell, and plates, and a squat rack. If you don't it might not work for you and there are certainly other books you could look into.

Does your small gym have a barbell and squat rack?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My standard advice for beginner weightlifting is to check out the book Starting Strength. It's not perfect but it covers the basics really well.

It's a great fuckin' book.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Starting Strength is great if you have access to a barbell, and plates, and a squat rack. If you don't it might not work for you and there are certainly other books you could look into.

Does your small gym have a barbell and squat rack?

I am not sure about the squat rack, but it has barbells. I grabbed the book on amazon and I'll take a look over the weekend.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was going to do some basic light cardio this morning but I'm going to have to settle for stretching and some reps with resistance bands or something because my heart rate monitor died and I don't want to start out and push my heart rate to far and feel like crap the rest of the day.

I could just use the one on my phone between sets/yoga poses but it takes so much longer.

I need to get one of those bip smart watches.

This discussion has been closed.