Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I think everyone here is aware of the inequities in our criminal justice system. This is not the thread to get into that topic.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Corrosive effect on democracy.... guys in federal prison for decade(s) for weed.

ls3kkor.jpg
    https://www.theroot.com/black-woman-sentenced-to-5-years-in-prison-for-casting-1826837080

I'm not sure how the US decides on how the severity and maliciousness of the crime relates to the amount of punishment received.

Seems like an arbitrary thing.

Oh no it definitely isn't arbitrary. There's a definite....criteria.

The answer is in the first word of the title in the article linked.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Cohen has been hit with 1.4 million dollars in restitution, $500,000 in asset forfeiture, and $50,000 in fines also.

As much as I like the sound of jail forever, THIS is how you punish rich people. Hit them the one place they have any feeling.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Cohen's lawyer just had an amazing quote on MSNBC.

"Mueller is a submarine. Silent and fueled by facts with no leaks on the hunt for the truth"

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

"Mueller is a submarine. Silent and fueled by facts with no leaks on the hunt for the truth"

how is a submarine "fueled by facts"

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Cartoonists are gonna love that image.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

The same way a human lawyer can be a submarine.
    Duh.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Science!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

OH SHI-

Attorney and prolific twitter guy

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ok how about the other stories they’ve done this for for Trump or other dirtbags

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, the GOP treats facts like they do most sources of alternative energy.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I can be the only one who thinks that Flynn escaping jail time entirely is a grave injustice, if only because of the “lock her up” bullshit, right?

Even if his cooperation was full and crucial, I feel like justice demands at least some nonzero period of confinement for that, even if it’s like two weeks or some shit.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

i mean

it's not like nuclear fission is a fairy tale

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

i mean

it's not like nuclear fission is a fairy tale

nuclear fission is powered by facts as well, thats why you need scientists to run nuclear reactors because they know lots of facts

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I can be the only one who thinks that Flynn escaping jail time entirely is a grave injustice, if only because of the “lock her up” bullshit, right?

Even if his cooperation was full and crucial, I feel like justice demands at least some nonzero period of confinement for that, even if it’s like two weeks or some shit.

No I'm there with you. I mean I get why he did, but I don't like that he and his asshole son get to act all golden while being dirty as fuck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-sentenced-3-years-prison
    The Office also announced today that it has previously reached a non-prosecution agreement with AMI [American Media, Inc.], in connection with AMI’s role in making the above-described $150,000 payment before the 2016 presidential election. As a part of the agreement, AMI admitted that it made the $150,000 payment in concert with a candidate’s presidential campaign, and in order to ensure that the woman did not publicize damaging allegations about the candidate before the 2016 presidential election. AMI further admitted that its principal purpose in making the payment was to suppress the woman’s story so as to prevent it from influencing the election.

Assuming AMI’s continued compliance with the agreement, the Office has agreed not to prosecute AMI for its role in that payment. The agreement also acknowledges, among other things, AMI’s acceptance of responsibility, its substantial and important assistance in this investigation, and its agreement to provide cooperation in the future and implement specific improvements to its internal compliance to prevent future violations of the federal campaign finance laws. These improvements include distributing written standards regarding federal election laws to its employees and conducting annual training concerning these standards.
    Is Trump the only person involved in the payment who claims it wasn't about the campaign at this point?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Office also announced today that it has previously reached a non-prosecution agreement with AMI [American Media, Inc.], in connection with AMI’s role in making the above-described $150,000 payment before the 2016 presidential election. As a part of the agreement, AMI admitted that it made the $150,000 payment in concert with a candidate’s presidential campaign, and in order to ensure that the woman did not publicize damaging allegations about the candidate before the 2016 presidential election. AMI further admitted that its principal purpose in making the payment was to suppress the woman’s story so as to prevent it from influencing the election.

Assuming AMI’s continued compliance with the agreement, the Office has agreed not to prosecute AMI for its role in that payment. The agreement also acknowledges, among other things, AMI’s acceptance of responsibility, its substantial and important assistance in this investigation, and its agreement to provide cooperation in the future and implement specific improvements to its internal compliance to prevent future violations of the federal campaign finance laws. These improvements include distributing written standards regarding federal election laws to its employees and conducting annual training concerning these standards.
    Is Trump the only person involved in the payment who claims it wasn't about the campaign at this point?

yes

which means the gop will soon take up the stance that it definitely was about the campaign but campaign finance laws are dumb and silly for republicans so who even cares

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

No, Trump has also said it was for the campaign.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Also that it wasn't and that the cat was a zombie

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Also that it wasn't and that the cat was a zombie

It was awesome!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Cohen has been hit with 1.4 million dollars in restitution, $500,000 in asset forfeiture, and $50,000 in fines also.

As much as I like the sound of jail forever, THIS is how you punish rich people. Hit them the one place they have any feeling.

So - no prison time for Trump? Just strip him of his assets and scrub the name completely from the face of the earth?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How often is it where someone's lawyer gets sent to prison for doing crimes, but the person who hired them to do the crimes gets off scot-free?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The House Intelligence Committee have reached out to Cohen's lawyer to ask if Cohen fancies dropping in for a chat with them before he goes to sit in a cell for three years.

Natasha is a staff writer with The Atlantic, though she's quoting Rep. Adam Schiff via CNN.

• Options
    The House Intelligence Committee have reached out to Cohen's lawyer to ask if Cohen fancies dropping in for a chat with them before he goes to sit in a cell for three years.

Natasha is a staff writer with The Atlantic, though she's quoting Rep. Adam Schiff via CNN.

The incoming HIC. I’m sure the current version doesn’t want him anywhere near the Capitol.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How often is it where someone's lawyer gets sent to prison for doing crimes, but the person who hired them to do the crimes gets off scot-free?

Scooter Libby and Dick Cheney come to mind

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

So - no prison time for Trump? Just strip him of his assets and scrub the name completely from the face of the earth?

If it went that far it would be like making Voldemort a muggle, a fate far worse for him to bear, even if it is strictly speaking better than the one he deserves.

Hevach on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Re: Cohen
    Sean Hannity just deleted all of his tweets before Nov 10th.

Pat Dennis is part of American Bridge, a progressive think tank.

halkun on
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    Re: Cohen
    Sean Hannity just deleted all of his tweets before Nov 10th.

Pat Dennis is part of American Bridge, a progressive think tank.

I think I smell some more smock.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Can we get a clearer explanation about what this Hannity mass-tweet-deletion means in regard to the investigation / Russia collusion?

Edit - Don't get me wrong it's funny when snakes do this shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can we get a clearer explanation about what this Hannity mass-tweet-deletion means in regard to the investigation / Russia collusion?

It suggests that something's about to come to light which makes some of those tweets look Very Bad.

• Options

It seems to be everything he ever tweeted about Cohen so presumably he's trying to distance himself from the most successful witch hunt ever.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Cohen named Hannity as one of his 2/3 clients.

Spoilered for conjecture/speculation.
    The prevailing theories are that it was related to the Russia tampering by being a propaganda mouth piece, or it was related to regular real estate fraud crimes. No one knows for sure, so it’s all conjecture and speculation.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Man I never really considered the possibility but I would love to see Hannity behind bars.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    It's worth mentioning that Cohen's only other client, Elliot Broidy, is currently embroiled in a huge scandal relating to him using his GOP contacts to gain enormously lucrative contracts in Africa worth billions of dollars. Mother Jones have been reporting on it today.

It's in no way related to Mueller's probe, but needless to say the fact that Hannity's lawyer is in jail and the only other two clients with that lawyer are currently entangled in financial corruption scandals, should be enough to cause Hannity concern, and sets him up for a good amount of scrutiny.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Its times like these that I'm glad the Internet is full of huge nerds who have backups of everything. If I don't get to delete that one picture of me at prom, you certainly don't get to delete your support for a convicted criminal.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh wait I remember now - Hannity was saying that Cohen helped him with real-estate stuff and that was part of what he got sentenced for right?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Like, the number one rule of Internet is that everything on the Internet is forever and they just... don't understand that?

You're a massive piece of shit of course somebody is gonna have a back up of all the dumb stuff you've tweeted you great big turnip

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I love how mass-deleting tweets both never accomplishes it’s intended goal AND always makes you look fucking guilty as all hell.

It’s the internet equivalent of taking all your legal documents out in the middle of the street before furatively shredding them.

• Options
    It's a fruitless measure because while the tweets are deleted from our and Hannity's viewing, it's more than likely Twitter keeps receipts on that shit on their end.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Pepperidge Farms remembers.

This discussion has been closed.