Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Get some hunting cameras so you have evidence. You may need to confront them about it to get them to stop. Or, just half-bury some old nails in the dirt and it should stop relatively quick

Security cameras are coming. I'm also going to start taking photos of the tire tracks. I mean yeah the yard is garbage at the moment, so they're doing limited damage, but I do plan to re-seed and start landscaping it in the spring.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Decided to actually count the fruit harvest this year. Not counting anything that's fallen/split yet

Fruit salad tree: 92 lemons, 1 still on tree; 1 blood orange, 1 still on tree (first time getting non lemons!)
    Mandarins: 143!
    Haven't even touched the lemon tree proper yet
    Navel oranges still need a couple weeks, looks like.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Get some hunting cameras so you have evidence. You may need to confront them about it to get them to stop. Or, just half-bury some old nails in the dirt and it should stop relatively quick

Security cameras are coming. I'm also going to start taking photos of the tire tracks. I mean yeah the yard is garbage at the moment, so they're doing limited damage, but I do plan to re-seed and start landscaping it in the spring.

Doesn't matter how bad the lawn is, they are trespassing. I like the big rocks Idea myself. It's obviously landscaping and if they fuck up their rig its on them. Deffo get the security cams up though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    You want to do all that not only for your yard but to protect your property line. Don't want them claiming some sort of easement eventually because you can't prove you told them to knock it off.

Document it all and if they don't stop, give them something in writing as well so you can point to that later.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah an easement issue happened to our neighbors when they didn't enforce a bunch of dudes driving their snowmobiles down the side of their property for like 5-10 years. Eventually snowmobiles turned into trucks turned into diesel dump trucks (they somehow talked another neighbor into selling a chunk of their land to use as a quarry) and suddenly there was a ton of dump trucks using that little side path and the neighbor was forced to give easement by the county because they had been using this path for almost a decade and he didn't say mum (he was friends with one of the snowmobilers).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am having serious second thoughts about giving the bank most of my current and future money for some wood strategically stacked on some land.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I am having serious second thoughts about giving the bank most of my current and future money for some wood strategically stacked on some land.

Its normal.

Don't worry, the pain passes excruciatingly slowly.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

Just wait until random parts of the stack start falling apart, and then you get to spend MORE money! Its great!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    For real though it seems like if you’ve got the money to get into the NZ housing market, it’s a solid investment. Your prices are crazy-trending-toward-ludicrous. If you can buy in at crazy, might as well.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    For real though it seems like if you’ve got the money to get into the NZ housing market, it’s a solid investment. Your prices are crazy-trending-toward-ludicrous. If you can buy in at crazy, might as well.

it's always good sense to buy land

it's not like it's really increasing in supply at a sustainable rate

shit buy a plot of land that's more rural and get the USDA to give you a loan for it and a double wide or something and instead of paying $500,000 pay $100,000

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Only really in select cities. Auckland is the most blatant.

We're buying in Napier (technically Hastings) where the house valuation is the same as in 2008. (had a big drop around 2014)

We don't have the money to buy in Auckland.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This is like advising someone to buy bitcoin back when it was $12k and climbing.

New Zealand's housing market is just as overinflated as Australias, prices will drop hard, soon.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    On that note, I know a guy who used a large chunk of his home equity line of credit to buy a ton of Bitcoin.

When it was at over $10K.

In a housing market like ours that's doing pretty well, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse re-investment strategy right about now.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    On that note, I know a guy who used a large chunk of his home equity line of credit to buy a ton of Bitcoin.

When it was at over $10K.

In a housing market like ours that's doing pretty well, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse re-investment strategy right about now.

And I'm betting $10k he's still holding onto Bitcoin, waiting for the rebound, hoping to make his money back

• Options
    Oh, he is. I think he dropped around $70k total, and it's probably currently worth something $5k.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright.

Not to jinx anything but I think this sale is going through.

A few things to fix for the CO inspection(which is silly because literally all of these things haven't changed since I bought the house so how did it pass then? but whatever).

And then I have to pay a few bucks to fix some insect damage in the garage but the buyer says they aren't asking for any other repairs so... we should be all set now?

And apparently the closing date is 12-28.

It will be so nice to just be free of all this. No more 2 mortgages. No more worry about what needs to be fixed. Just focusing on living in the new place and relaxing.

• Options
    Oh, he is. I think he dropped around $70k total, and it's probably currently worth something $5k.

Seeing natural selection work in real-time is breathtaking.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

This is like advising someone to buy bitcoin back when it was $12k and climbing.

New Zealand's housing market is just as overinflated as Australias, prices will drop hard, soon.

The alternative to buying a residence is renting a residence (or living in a residence provided by another I guess). When you rent you get little to nothing back for your rent. When you buy, you get to keep a big chunk of that money in the form of property.

Its more complicated than that because of down payments and closing costs or if you will need a residence elsewhere in the next few years. But by and large its the choice between effectively saving a substantial part of your shelter money in the form of real estate or paying towards someone else's real estate payments.

A crash may or may not come but assuming its just around the corner rarely works out.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    That assumes renting and owning are a comparable price. Where I live renting is significantly cheaper in the short term.

• Options
    In most locations that break even point is about ~5 years. So if you plan on staying longer than 5 years, you should buy if you can afford it. In weird ones where the price skyrockets out of control it is closer to 10 IIRC.

Where I am it's 2 because rent increases more quickly than property price and tax.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Break even was about 7 yrs near me last time I checked. but that also assumes rent increases. In the last year rents have stabilized or gone down. Also, not sure how the new tax laws effect things. It almost certainly it makes ownership less attractive in my area.

But, one flaw of break even analyses is that I've been willing to rent in an apartment I probably wouldn't want to buy. Mostly because it's a 1br.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think if I were to do it again I would rather rent/buy a 2br apartment or condo and buy a workshop/studio for myself for art stuff. Having a yard and garage that need work have been so much more time consuming than I expected.

It was probably 20-30k worth of stuff that needed to get done, I've only spent 5k so far, but it's also taken 2 years.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, after the inspection, we sent the safety issues to the seller, asking that they either be fixed, or to give us money to fix them.

The response: "lolno, we have a backup offer, take it or leave it."

I really don't need this, especially since I'm out of town for business.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Well, after the inspection, we sent the safety issues to the seller, asking that they either be fixed, or to give us money to fix them.

The response: "lolno, we have a backup offer, take it or leave it."

I really don't need this, especially since I'm out of town for business.

Call their bluff.

Better to lose the house than get saddled with a house full of problems.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Yeah the backup offer is going to make the same demands most likely. Also once an offer is accepted they don't often keep showing houses, and the offer is usually worse if they accepted yours and they came in around the same time.

• Options
    We had a handyman come in, and outside of radon mitigation, the issues we would need fixed immediately can be handled for around $500. (Mitigation is another story, costing around $1200-2000.)

• Options
    I'd ask for all of it, $2500 for radon mitigation and the safety issues. If you're getting an FHA loan they might even be a requirement on the seller to fix both (depending on your area).

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd ask for all of it, $2500 for radon mitigation and the safety issues. If you're getting an FHA loan they might even be a requirement on the seller to fix both (depending on your area).

We're going conventional (make too much money to use any programs.)

• Options
    oh

fair

I'd still do it, fuck them.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    For $500 I'd just pay it myself. Not a big enough amount in house terms unless you aren't in love with the house.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Mortious ooohhhh Napier!! I'm super excited to see the house. I've always wanted to visit down there!

Very excited for you!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If they aren't budging on radon they can go fuck themselves. They should have gotten their own check done when they put the house on the market. The other offeror will ask for the same.

• Options
    Mortious ooohhhh Napier!! I'm super excited to see the house. I've always wanted to visit down there!

Very excited for you!

@lonelyahava

We've put in a offer that's going unconditional around this time next week, pending a builder's inspection.

This one is in Hastings though (which is close enough honestly), Quater acre for $370k which is impossible anywhere near Auckland.

Should be able to pay off the mortage in like 4 years.

One problem is that I probably wont be able to move down there anytime soon, current time table is 5 years :(

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If they aren't budging on radon they can go fuck themselves. They should have gotten their own check done when they put the house on the market. The other offeror will ask for the same.

Apparently, the sellers are going through a divorce,and communication between them is...limited.

Also, the issue is that the levels are just over the recommended amount for mitigation, so they're pushing back that it's artificially high because the house is currently empty.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Mortious ooohhhh Napier!! I'm super excited to see the house. I've always wanted to visit down there!

Very excited for you!

@lonelyahava

We've put in a offer that's going unconditional around this time next week, pending a builder's inspection.

This one is in Hastings though (which is close enough honestly), Quater acre for $370k which is impossible anywhere near Auckland.

Should be able to pay off the mortage in like 4 years.

One problem is that I probably wont be able to move down there anytime soon, current time table is 5 years :(

Whoa!

That's awesome!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Apparently, the sellers are going through a divorce,and communication between them is...limited.

Also, the issue is that the levels are just over the recommended amount for mitigation, so they're pushing back that it's artificially high because the house is currently empty.

Tell them to go fuck themselves and get it well below the legal limit.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

oh lord red flag abort abort

• Options
    Yeah, that sounds like a hot mess you want nothing to do with.

• Options
    Yeah, that sounds like a hot mess you want nothing to do with.

Yeah, that's the agreement me and my wife have come to - whatever charm the house might have had has been quashed by seller dickishness. We've made a deal - we will house hunt for three more months, and if that doesn't pan out, we consider plan B - buying out my father's house.

• Options
    I don't think radon improves with "stuff in the house" either.

I think it slowly gets worse the longer it goes on if there's a large amount. Or the house absorbs and offgases after it's remediated once stuff is in there (especially things like mattresses). Walking is good, fuck those people.

This discussion has been closed.