As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Happy is on Netflix and is...quite good. Especially if you think this is what happens to Elliot Stabler after Law and Order.

I hope Syfy doesn't fuck it up!

Yeah, I think I mentioned it the other day, but I've finished it now and it really was amazing start to finish. Despite having an actual animated blue flying unicorn, the main character and a lot of the rest of the show feel like a live action cartoon, in the best of ways.

Fair warning though, it's got quite a bit of the ol' ultraviolence in it, and one disturbing scene of the aftermath of domestic violence.

It's got a bunch of well choreographed, but awkward fights. Like Jackie Chan in a ladder factory, except instead of being a kung fu master he's a middle aged cop who's just too stubborn to die.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Chris Meloni is hilarious in it

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Chris Meloni is hilarious in it

I don't know what he did, or if I want to know what he did, to stay in that manic phase every single scene. The way the camera frames his head so you see his hair just sticking out straight kept me laughing over and over again.

EDIT: I also kept thinking, "When is this guy going to take a shower?"

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/the-top-10-documentaries-of-2018.html?utm_source=nym&utm_medium=f1&utm_campaign=feed-full

Shirkers looks genuinely incredible (available on Netflix)
    In 1992, director Sandi Tan, at the time a film-crazy 19-year-old, set out to write and star in a low-budget, surreal road movie in Singapore along with a group of her closest friends. The whole thing was shot, but it was never edited — their older, supposedly more experienced director made off with the negative and vanished off the face of the Earth. Now having recovered the footage, Tan has turned what might have once been an inventive, possibly even revolutionary indie film from Singapore into the most striking of documentaries. As she recounts her efforts to make the original Shirkers, and investigates what happened to her dream, she also presents a complicated look at friendship and loyalty, as well as the obsessive, all-consuming siren call of movie love.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    15 minutes into the new Nailed It series.

I uhh...

I may have to stop and watch this later at home. I'm laughing too much at work here.

Nailed It is one of the best things Netflix has ever done.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I chatted with Disney's Kevin Mayer about the Fox deal and the Disney+ streaming service. Some takeaways: Those Marvel shows that Netflix canceled? There's a "possibility" that Disney+ could revive them. Taking Hulu international? "We're talking to Hulu about that now."

Natalie Jarvey works for the Hollywood Reporter
    Three Netflix Marvel shows – Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil – have been cancelled for weeks, but several of the players involved continue to make those cancellations as difficult as possible for fans. Instead of outlining any of their actual intentions, the companies are content with speaking about these shows in vague enough terms to get fans’ hopes up about a potential resurrection.

The latest offender is Kevin Mayer, the newly-appointed head of Disney+, The Walt Disney Company’s new streaming service. Mayer says there’s a “possibility” that the new service will revive those shows…but that’s as far as he’s willing to go at the moment.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Mayer was asked if he would consider reviving the Marvel shows that Netflix cancelled, and he seemed open to the idea:

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    There's no damn possibility outside of me becoming god emperor of the cosmos.

Hulu thing is whatever, but it's just PR barf.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I don't understand the motivation for being coy about the canceled series. I feel like they must have numbers to tell them if it's worth their time to spend the money making more of the shows. If they canceled them in order to use them as a lure to get fans to buy Disney+ then just say you're moving the shows to Disney+ and use the hype to make people eager to give you money. If they canceled them because they're not popular enough and you're not going to be resurrecting them then toying with fans is just a good way to make them not want to give you money later.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Netflix made the decision to cancel. Netflix is also notorious for not releasing viewership numbers, even to the people who make the shows; Disney might not actually have a firm idea whether any of the shows are financially worth reviving even. Especially since they either have to reboot the shows or renegotiate the cast and crew, either of which is even more expensive than a Netflix renewal would have been.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Because there’s no reason to needlessly limit their options for later.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Netflix made the decision to cancel. Netflix is also notorious for not releasing viewership numbers, even to the people who make the shows; Disney might not actually have a firm idea whether any of the shows are financially worth reviving even. Especially since they either have to reboot the shows or renegotiate the cast and crew, either of which is even more expensive than a Netflix renewal would have been.

If Disney doesn't know the ratings for those shows on Netflix, they wouldn't have any confirmation one way or another that they should be canceled or continued/rebooted. Supposedly Netflix has a weird technique for measuring audiences which is by the amount of participation from social media, which doesn't really do Disney any good knowing how many X watches their shows, anyway. Which might work in their favour if they can manage to get the right amount of ratings, and they do know the shows have been popular enough to get multiple seasons - including disasters like Iron Fist got a second season. So their must be some demand. Punisher got a second season, the rest got three (LC was in the pre-production before getting pulled at the last minute). Disney + also don't seem to be holding back on their content, I don't expect shows about Loki or Vision/Scarlet Witch to be cheap, meanwhile DD did amazingly with a smaller budget for three seasons.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Javen wrote: »

Ding Ding Ding, Winner winner chicken dinner.

From the actual article, and the only mention of the marvel shows in the interview
    Would you consider reviving the Marvel shows that Netflix canceled?

They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but I would say that's a possibility.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The deal between Netflix and Marvel says that the characters can't be used for 2 years after cancellation. If Marvel wants to start the shows back up, they need to negotiate that clause away. Stating that they will definitely bring them back is the same thing as stating they want to add a 0 onto whatever Netflix asks in return for the rights.

I hope Disney+ crashes and burns spectacularly. If paying for the right to make shows that Netflix didn't want brings that about, I'm for it.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I often think a lot of you guys are overly harsh and critical of the services as their interfaces rarely annoy me as they do some of you.

But my god is hulu's ui absolute shit. At least on the xbox one.

You start off with a really nice welcome splash the it all goes to hell. Pick a TV show and try to go to a specific episode and season. I dare you. It's a weird unintuitive succession of buttons, I often end up on extras, the wrong episode, going back to the main menu. Whoever designed this had to either work for Satan or be a college professor doing a study on what kind of shit people will put up with.

Netflix and such can be annoying at times with their changes and autoplays, and I miss the real reviews with 5 stars, but hulu's UI was designed by Satan himself

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Ding Ding Ding, Winner winner chicken dinner.

From the actual article, and the only mention of the marvel shows in the interview
    Would you consider reviving the Marvel shows that Netflix canceled?

They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but I would say that's a possibility.

They'll never say they are done with it right now. You still have Jessica Jones and Punisher to be cancelled and then the decision to see if it is worth it. On top of that, supposedly, you have a two year break because of the Netflix contract until you even have the possibility of those shows being restarted. So, I wouldn't expect anything about a real restart for at least a year. Until then you'll get the "we're looking into it" or "that's currently being tossed around."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Honestly, putting the Netflix shows in hiatus for a couple of years then restarting under different management isn’t the worst thing, so long as they lock down the current casts.

The shows have always been a case where a great cast and decent - but rarely great - writing outweighs flabby plots and an overreliance on slow burn pacing.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Chris Meloni is hilarious in it EVERYTHING

Fixed that for you.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I often think a lot of you guys are overly harsh and critical of the services as their interfaces rarely annoy me as they do some of you.

But my god is hulu's ui absolute shit. At least on the xbox one.

You start off with a really nice welcome splash the it all goes to hell. Pick a TV show and try to go to a specific episode and season. I dare you. It's a weird unintuitive succession of buttons, I often end up on extras, the wrong episode, going back to the main menu. Whoever designed this had to either work for Satan or be a college professor doing a study on what kind of shit people will put up with.

Netflix and such can be annoying at times with their changes and autoplays, and I miss the real reviews with 5 stars, but hulu's UI was designed by Satan himself

This is the truth. If the interface was better at taking me to a meaningful menu to start, i might be more forgiving on judging it but it feels so slapdash about what it is showing me or how i get to my list or picking a different episdoe that everytime i plan on watching something on hulu i have to mentally add 5 minutes just to get the show started.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Chuck Bartowski is in Ms. Maisel? That would make me interested in watching it why is this not being promoted more!

edit: maybe this is better for the Top Gear thread, but there's a show up on Amazon called Wreck Trek which is these 30 somethings basically trying to copy The Three Musketeers in doing a cheap car special in driving from Germany to South Africa. But it just feels so fake and manufactured like it came from a dad who saw his son watching Top Gear and wanted to put it in sunglasses, put it in more of a hip-hop context, a nice shmear of surfer complete with rastifying it 10% or so. It's just so dumb with most of the cast unlikable or people who shouldn't be in the position to begin with (you gotta learn to drive stick if you're doing this type journey, brah), and all the fancy paint jobs on your clunkers hides the lack of real enjoyment or the forced drama going on for people acting for the camera (you could always tell when James or Richard actually snapped on their journeys and it's nothing like what's shown here).

I was hoping for something good like the Long Way Down/Long Way Round series, but it ain't this.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Watched Dog Soliders on Amazon Prime.

This is really a fun horror action flick. Shocked I haven't heard of it until now.
    A squad of soldiers vs a pack of werewolves. At one point a gun gets dropped out a window and the werewolf ends up using it to fire back at em, shortly after that another guy gets a pot with steaming hot water and splashes it in a werewolf's face before smashing him in the head with it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So whenever I now try to rent a movie or series on Amazon on my Xbox One, it now tells me I need to go buy it on my phone instead of letting me purchase it from the Xbox?

Is there really no way to just buy it directly from the Xbox? Because that seems really arbitrary and stupid. And it's also costing them money, because there are definitely times when I'm willing to pay them money, and then decide to just watch something free because i'm too lazy to go fucking around on my phone.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, I will say that i love Hulu, but their UI is indeed a giant pile of burning dicks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

This is really a fun horror action flick. Shocked I haven't heard of it until now.
    A squad of soldiers vs a pack of werewolves. At one point a gun gets dropped out a window and the werewolf ends up using it to fire back at em, shortly after that another guy gets a pot with steaming hot water and splashes it in a werewolf's face before smashing him in the head with it.

It's one of my favorite Syfy movies. From before they were Syfy. It is actually great.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So whenever I now try to rent a movie or series on Amazon on my Xbox One, it now tells me I need to go buy it on my phone instead of letting me purchase it from the Xbox?

Is there really no way to just buy it directly from the Xbox? Because that seems really arbitrary and stupid. And it's also costing them money, because there are definitely times when I'm willing to pay them money, and then decide to just watch something free because i'm too lazy to go fucking around on my phone.

I assume it’s something to do with purchasing rights and stores within stores. It happens to me on my Amazon app on my iPhone so who knows how that even works.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I assume it’s something to do with purchasing rights and stores within stores. It happens to me on my Amazon app on my iPhone so who knows how that even works.

Yep, I try to buy/rent a movie from Amazon on the app and it says "Nope" do it from a browser. The theory is that Amazon doesn't want to give the 30% to Apple from the transaction.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options

Dog Soldiers:
    I'm convinced is the longest set-up to pun-chline pun in the history of movies

The whole thing is a contrivance so that they can have somebody say the line, "There is no Spoon."

Which really makes the movie... a shaggy dog story.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

It's one of my favorite Syfy movies. From before they were Syfy. It is actually great.

Dog Soldiers is directed by Neil Marshall. Even his schlock is solid gold (cf Doomsday, The Descent).

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Just started Final Space on netflix, finished episode 2, and it's pretty intriguing!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Dog Soldiers is directed by Neil Marshall. Even his schlock is solid gold (cf Doomsday, The Descent).

That’s like saying “Even Verhoeven’s bad movies are gold (Showgirls, Robocop)”

Doomsday is a poorly made piece of garbage that is not even fun trash, whereas The Descent is one of the best horror films of its decade

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Doomsday is a poorly made piece of garbage that is not even fun trash, whereas The Descent is one of the best horror films of its decade

Except Doomsday is also good though

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I might be misreading this but are you saying Robocop is bad?

• Options
    One of those movies is good and one of them is not. Ridley Scott is always good (Legend, Alien). Steven Spielberg is always good (1941, Jaws). George Lucas is always good (The Phantom Menace, The Empire Strikes Back).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Which version of The Descent, the one with or without the ending?

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular

Except Doomsday is also good though

So is Showgirls!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Doomsday is like six movies stapled together, and all of them are AWESOME!
    Taxi Driver shootout
    Outbreak wall scene
    Resident Evil investigation
    Beyond Thunderdome spectacle
    Excalibur costumed battle
    Fury Road chase scene

Anyway, been watching more She-Ra, and the Princess Prom is the queerest episode of children's programming I've ever seen.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Which version of The Descent, the one with or without the ending?

Definitely with.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just started Final Space on netflix, finished episode 2, and it's pretty intriguing!

Final Space is strange, in that it's more interesting as a straight sci fi story than as the comedy it sets out to be. I hear the Orville is the same.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Final Space is on Netflix?!?

I've been an Olan Rogers fan for like a decade (going back to the Balloonshop days) and I can't believe I didn't know this until now. I am ashamed of myself.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Robocop is a classic genre film - it's funny, incisive, acutely critical of the era it was born of, and goddamn fun to watch. It's masterful. Showgirls failed in every way that Robocop succeeded. These two movies could fill an entire semester of lecture on how thin your tightrope is when trying to direct referential/parodic/social commentary content in the shell of an existing film genre or trope.

Rereading my last sentences, I kind of even want to punch myself in the face at the 3am bar where we are having this argument, but I stand by it! =)

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Final Space is strange, in that it's more interesting as a straight sci fi story than as the comedy it sets out to be. I hear the Orville is the same.

There are some parts that are legitimately funny, but for the most part you’re right, the story itself is where the meat is. It also hits some pretty high emotional notes throughout the season.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
This discussion has been closed.