As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The United States of America needs to fully account for the horrific acts of so many. End of story. Period. No 'for the good of the country we must heal and put the past behind us'.

This fuckmuppetry cannot stand unopposed.

I don't want a kangaroo court. Follow the proper rules of investigation, trial, punishment as appropriate, etc.

But a moment like this needs to be seared into the US citizenry. It cannot be forgotten, or swept aside. It should be worn as a heavy reminder of what they did, or allowed to happen, actively or passively or even with resistance.

And even as a non-religious man, I pray against all reason that what we have seen is the worst they will do.

(spoiler: it isn't)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This isn't even the worst thing they've done this year. By a long shot.

It's monstrously evil in it's exploitation of people's attempts to do right by others in order to attack them but in terms of material harm it's (sadly) probably not even registering in the top 5.

Honestly, I think you might even have a hard time bringing any punishment down for it. It would depend on what the rules are. But my bet, given previous reporting on immigration issues and ICE and the like, is that nothing they did here technically violates any rules. The reason it doesn't usually happen is like with the Feds and marijuana legalization. The Feds could technically start cracking down on state-level marijuana legalization but simply choose not to. Most administrations choose not to go this far with immigration inforcement for a bunch of reasons. It's like picking up people as they show up to testify at a trial against their abusive spouse. Monstrous, actively a bad idea from any practical standpoint but probably within the bounds of what they can do since technically the people in question have violated some rule or other.

And that's basically been their playbook this whole time. The executive has wide latitude on immigration issues and they've been trying to push as far as they can up to those limits and maybe even past them and figuring that while they might eventually get pushed back, it won't be as far as where they started and they've whitened up the country before they could be stopped anyway.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    We are the baddies.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

TL;DR, ICE used the kids in cages as bait to get to look into these immigration status of households who vollenteered to take the kids, resulting in at least 170 arrests.

These people are fucking MONSTERS.

I really hate to ask this, but do we have a source on this other than that tweet referencing Wonkette? Before I go passing this around my circles, it'd be helpful to have multiple sources to reference.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

TL;DR, ICE used the kids in cages as bait to get to look into these immigration status of households who vollenteered to take the kids, resulting in at least 170 arrests.

I really hate to ask this, but do we have a source on this other than that tweet referencing Wonkette? Before I go passing this around my circles, it'd be helpful to have multiple sources to reference.

The links in the article go to NBC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ice-arrested-170-immigrants-seeking-sponsor-migrant-children-n946621
    Federal authorities have arrested 170 immigrants who came forward seeking to sponsor migrant children in government custody, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The links in the article go to NBC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ice-arrested-170-immigrants-seeking-sponsor-migrant-children-n946621
    Federal authorities have arrested 170 immigrants who came forward seeking to sponsor migrant children in government custody, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

That's good enough for me.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Edit - Oh NBC got it. Wow. WOW. WOW THIS IS FUCKING EVIL.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A great victory for America and freedom!

*goes to find something to vomit in*

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    really going after the MS13 bad hombres there, people who volunteer to look after children the government has stolen and abused.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They arrested those people on the suspicion of being illegal. Residency status isn't that hard to fucking look up. They should sue the fucking agency into bankruptcy.

That's the nicest idea I have to present in retaliation, I'm holding back. I'm so fucking mad right now.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    They arrested those people on the suspicion of being illegal. Residency status isn't that hard to fucking look up. They should sue the fucking agency into bankruptcy.

That's the nicest idea I have to present in retaliation, I'm holding back. I'm so fucking mad right now.

There's probably fucking exceptions carved out for them.

Alternately, they can just hold them without allowing them to see a lawyer for long enough that the statue of limitations fucking runs out. There's precedent for that!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    even when/if ICE gets eliminated

I'm gonna need to see some big fucking changes in how we handle immigration before I can even being to believe that this wont happen again

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The House must begin investigations into ICE on the 3rd

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/7-year-old-migrant-girl-taken-into-border-patrol-custody-dies-of-dehydration-exhaustion/2018/12/13/8909e356-ff03-11e8-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html

Arrest the bastards.
    A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into Border Patrol custody last week for crossing from Mexico into the United States illegally with her father and a large group of migrants along a remote span of New Mexico desert, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday.

The child’s death is likely to intensify scrutiny of detention conditions at Border Patrol stations and CBP facilities that are increasingly overwhelmed by large numbers of families seeking asylum in the United States.

According to CBP records, the girl and her father were taken into custody about 10 p.m. Dec. 6 south of Lordsburg, N.M., as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in.

More than eight hours later, the child began having seizures at 6:25 a.m., CBP records show. Emergency responders, who arrived soon after, measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, and according to a statement from CBP, she “reportedly had not eaten or consumed water for several days.”

Jragghen on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like "increasingly overwhelmed" places the blame on exactly the wrong set of people.

We are one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. If we didn't want to kill desperate refugee children, we wouldn't. It's not a problem of resources being stretched thin.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Or, if they don't want to be overwhelmed, they could just not put kids in concentration camps

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    This is only possible in a country where the police are outfitted like an army and have backup from constitutionally armed white supremacists and xenophobes. It's to ensure there can be no yellow vest moment.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/7-year-old-migrant-girl-taken-into-border-patrol-custody-dies-of-dehydration-exhaustion/2018/12/13/8909e356-ff03-11e8-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html

Arrest the bastards.
    A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into Border Patrol custody last week for crossing from Mexico into the United States illegally with her father and a large group of migrants along a remote span of New Mexico desert, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday.

The child’s death is likely to intensify scrutiny of detention conditions at Border Patrol stations and CBP facilities that are increasingly overwhelmed by large numbers of families seeking asylum in the United States.

According to CBP records, the girl and her father were taken into custody about 10 p.m. Dec. 6 south of Lordsburg, N.M., as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in.

More than eight hours later, the child began having seizures at 6:25 a.m., CBP records show. Emergency responders, who arrived soon after, measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, and according to a statement from CBP, she “reportedly had not eaten or consumed water for several days.”

I thought one of the key aspects of the border patrols job was to render aid to these people that illegal crossed. Provide them with water, emergency blankets, stuff like that as they've been braving the elements on their crossing and often in bad shape.

How does this little girl not be given the basic human requirement of water after being in our custody? People should be ashamed of how we're treating people.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Arrest the bastards.

I thought one of the key aspects of the border patrols job was to render aid to these people that illegal crossed. Provide them with water, emergency blankets, stuff like that as they've been braving the elements on their crossing and often in bad shape.

How does this little girl not be given the basic human requirement of water after being in our custody? People should be ashamed of how we're treating people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/23/border-patrol-accused-of-targeting-aid-group-that-filmed-agents-dumping-water-left-for-migrants/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.49dba4002ecd
    Last Wednesday, a nonprofit group that provides humanitarian aid to migrants in the Arizona desert released a lengthy report alleging Border Patrol agents were intentionally destroying supplies left for migrants in the desert, the group said, to “condemn border crossers to suffering, death and disappearance.”

What received wider attention, however, was a video that the Tucson-based aid group, No More Deaths, also distributed with its report. The footage, taken between 2010 and 2017, showed Border Patrol agents kicking over water jugs that had been left in the desert. In one clip, a male agent sneers at the person filming him, demanding to know whom the water is for, as he empties a gallon bottle of water onto the ground.

That said if the group was large enough they probably just fucked up the response from incompetence or neglect or both. If she'd been without water for that long she needed medical attention instantly. Just letting her drink won't be enough.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I respect the people who brave deserts and rivers to be in this country, and I despise the people who would keep those people out and shun them.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I respect the people who brave deserts and rivers to be in this country, and I despise the people who would keep those people out and shun them.

The people who cross the border under such hardship literally have the Pioneer Spirit we revere in 8th grade history.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    Or, if they don't want to be overwhelmed, they could just not put kids in concentration camps

One part of holocaust denialism is saying that people died because the system was overwhelmed by numbers and war, not on purpose.

This government is setting up the same argument here, I see.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like "increasingly overwhelmed" places the blame on exactly the wrong set of people.

We are one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. If we didn't want to kill desperate refugee children, we wouldn't. It's not a problem of resources being stretched thin.

It's both. They absolutely created this crisis because they want to brutalise people crossing the border. At the same time they are absolutely also too incompetent to be prepared for dealing with all these people they are shoving in concentration camps. We've seen this in reporting before. They are not prepared for dealing with the crisis they've created.

It is, of course, also simultaneously true that they don't really care that their lack of preparedness is killing people. Every terrible story to them is just another warning to the huddled masses yearning to breathe free that they should go back to mexico.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »

The people who cross the border under such hardship literally have the Pioneer Spirit we revere in 8th grade history.

but they're browwwwwnnnnn

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They lack the spirit of killing the natives so do they really have the pioneering spirit?

• Options
    Fox News is claiming that the girl's death is being "politicized" and holy shit they deserve the worst.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    DHS is committed to building wall and building wall quickly. We are not replacing short, outdated and ineffective wall with similar wall.

Ow, my brain.

A more succinct statement on the nature of the past two years, you could not find.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    They lack the spirit of killing the natives so do they really have the pioneering spirit?

According to Trump and the GOP they don't though, since they are all rapists and murderers and thieves or something. So apparently they are trying to come to this land to kill the people who are already here and take their stuff. What could be more american?

shryke on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

A Senate Democratic aide tells NBC News that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and rejected the GOP offer, saying they couldn’t accept a billion dollar immigration slush fund.

Frank Thorpe V is a producer and reporter covering congress for MSNBC

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Parody continues to be dead, and I still don't get how a steel slat meant to divide people is supposed to be beautiful.

Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Parody continues to be dead, and I still don't get how a steel slat meant to divide people is supposed to be beautiful.

It's just until we get transparent aluminum.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Because they're artistically designed, did you even read the tweet?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

And, it will go up fast:
    Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Tweeted:
    ....It will be beautiful and, at the same time, give our Country the security that our citizens deserve. It will go up fast and save us BILLIONS of dollars a month once completed!
    So fast: he already did it!

Mission Accomplished, everyone.

Now we can finally get back to infrastructure week.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    The wall will save billions a month? I can't even imagine the Trumpists actually believing that one, even though I know they'll parrot it en masse.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    The wall will save billions a month? I can't even imagine the Trumpists actually believing that one, even though I know they'll parrot it en masse.

Build the wall, then disband ICE! Both sides win!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

Trump literally just makes up numbers. All the time.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Republican Media heaping lavish praise on Judge Emmet Sullivan prior to yesterday continues to bite them in the ass.

Chris Geidner of Buzzfeed News: BREAKING: Judge Emmet Sullivan isn't done this week, striking down most of AG Sessions' move to heighten standards for "credible fear" asylum determinations and order the return of those deported under that policy.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Don't piss off the judge, y'all

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Is ordering “the return of those deported” a feasible task? The administration has been sketchy about documentation, and getting people who have already been deported back into the US seems like a heavy lift for even a high-functioning, well-intentioned bureaucracy.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is ordering “the return of those deported” a feasible task? The administration has been sketchy about documentation, and getting people who have already been deported back into the US seems like a heavy lift for even a high-functioning, well-intentioned bureaucracy.

I don't recall reading about them completing the task, but when a judge demanded the government reunite the families with children separated from them, the Pod Save America bros said it cost something like 80 million dollars to house, care for (in MASSIVE air quotes) and reunite the kids. I believe they quoted an estimate of around $30,000 per child to reunite them?

Rounding error in the budget as it may be, it seemed like they can be forced to spend pretty substantial amounts of money if a judge declares it so.

I don't expect everyone would or even could be brought back, but they might end up spending millions or tens of millions on it all the same.

Short answer: no, but I don't think the judge gives a fuck about how hard it is or how expensive it might be.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.