As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    One of those movies is good and one of them is not. Ridley Scott is always good (Legend, Alien). Steven Spielberg is always good (1941, Jaws). George Lucas is always good (The Phantom Menace, The Empire Strikes Back).

I think all of those movies are good.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Aggretsuko's metal christmas is out! FUCCCCCCCCCCCCK YOUUUUUUU!

Also Baki is shit, don't bother with it.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I just watched Bird Box.

I liked it better than the book. It was fine. It's no The Quiet Place but if you need more suspenseful horror about denying yourself a traditional means of human perception that doesn't have as strong of performances and is less suspenseful then it's there for you, I guess.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It has Sandra Bullock in it

It definitely has that going for it

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just watched Bird Box.

I liked it better than the book. It was fine. It's no The Quiet Place but if you need more suspenseful horror about denying yourself a traditional means of human perception that doesn't have as strong of performances and is less suspenseful then it's there for you, I guess.

Do you actually see the monster or was it all just a dream/the monster takes the form of Sandra Bullock's father, etc.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just watched Bird Box.

Do you actually see the monster or was it all just a dream/the monster takes the form of Sandra Bullock's father, etc.

Spoilers, I guess?
    Neither. You never see the monsters but there definitely are monsters. You see some indistinct shadows and seeing the monsters has a physiological impact on people that wasn't in the book, so far as I recall (their eyes change color and said colors bleed into the sclera).

The whole "the monsters are basically a natural disaster and The Real Monsters Are People" thing didn't work terribly well in the book. It works better in the movie.

I don't like Sandra Bullock. Sometimes I like John Malkovich. He was decent in this.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I just watched Bird Box.

Really? We landed on the complete opposite end. I thought the book was a lot better (granted, I didn't love the book). The movie felt like they watched A Quiet Place and then used the Birdbox book license as an excuse to make a copycat movie.

They completely cut the kids out as characters and eliminated one whole "timeline" that the book focused on. I'm all for deviating from the source material but it felt like they changed things for the wrong reasons here.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So, The Bird Box. The invisible thing, is it basically
    the entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion? Because anyone who's seen the whole thing either say it's suicidaly depressing or go around saying it's the greatest and everyone should watch it like a crazy person
    Also, Yay! NGE is coming to Netflix. Everyone should watch it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Watched the first half of the new version of Watership Down tonight. It's a co-production between the BBC and Netflix; I think it's all going up on Netflix tomorrow when the BBC shows the second half. It's all CG this time, but worth noting the bloody violence has been significantly toned down from the famously traumatic 1978 movie version. It's still dark as hell at times, though, so be warned it's not been exactly kiddified even if it's less gory.

It's really good, though. The voice cast is very strong, and it has a visual style that's a good balance between realistic and classic animated style, often doing a good job of evoking the beautiful painted backdrops of the old movie without copying. One criticism is that it can be a little bit too easy to lose track of which rabbit is which, especially in night scenes; most do have enough distinctive characteristics to tell them apart, but they can be subtle.

Better than the old movie? So far I'd say no, but that movie is an absolute stone cold classic so it was always going to be tough to match it. On its own merits I'm really digging this version, it's as good as I could have hoped for. It's a lot longer (200 minutes in its entirety versus the original's 91 minutes), though it doesn't drag at all so far; the extra time is put to good use and pacing is just fine.

Worth looking out for!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Well the extra length will be welcome, since the original, although faithful to the book, felt horribly rushed.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Finaly started watching Nailed It and wow... its just the greatest! Wes!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Watched the first half of the new version of Watership Down tonight. It's a co-production between the BBC and Netflix; I think it's all going up on Netflix tomorrow when the BBC shows the second half. It's all CG this time, but worth noting the bloody violence has been significantly toned down from the famously traumatic 1978 movie version.

The first one never got very gory at all in the first half either, it's what made all the violence in the second half so traumatic to me as a wee kid rofl

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Also watched first half of Watership Down yesterday evening on the BBC. I agree on it being hard to tell the rabbits apart from time to time. Not a fan of the semi-realistic artstyle, I tend to prefer more stylistic art.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    So, The Bird Box. The invisible thing, is it basically
    the entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion? Because anyone who's seen the whole thing either say it's suicidaly depressing or go around saying it's the greatest and everyone should watch it like a crazy person
    Also, Yay! NGE is coming to Netflix. Everyone should watch it.
    Yes, the thing they've been trying to not see is the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime. That's how much Sandra Bullock hates anime.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    More news on the Rook tv show adaption.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/21/the-rook-star-ronan-raftery-says-the-show-will-be-more-violent-and-sexual-than-the-book-8266506/?fbclid=IwAR0DA2L8VlDUbXH9CCRHJUtouu5nCzSAJz2MIFAAP6EVYuBnA7k9YSClWnU
    The Rook is based on the 2012 novel by Daniel O’Malley and tells the story of Myfanwy Thomas, who wakes up in London surrounded by dead bodies and no memory of who she is. Myfanway works for the Checquy, a secret service in Britain for people with paranormal ablities, protecting the public from supernatural threats. Her mission is to track down who was responsible for wiping her memory before they return to finish the job. Olivia Munn, Joely Richardson and Adrian Lester are also among the impressive cast.

Raftery told metro.co.uk: ‘The Rook is violent and more sexual, it’s a darker world. But it still keeps the sci-fi aspect of the book, but I think it will draw a wider audience. It is quite full on and that will be to its strength.’ On the show the actor plays Robert, who is part of Gestalt, four siblings who share one consciousness. The others are Robert’s sister Eliza and twin brother Alex and Teddy. Ronan said it was challenging taking on such a unique role, but it was an opportunity he relished. He said: ‘It’s sort of a hive mind character. Myself and two other actors share this role which is one of the main things that drew me to it. It’s a risky thing to jump into. But I get on very well with the other two actors so we love it."

The Rook is fucking insane and I love it. Didn't realise Munn was in this, wonder if she's Myfanwy - that's a hell of an interesting role for her to play if she is. The series is a weird one to describe, think the Doom Patrol meets Men in Black, with more paperwork.

Here's a snippet of the first book:

https://www.tor.com/2012/02/10/the-rook-excerpt/

Then things get crazy.

• Options
    Watched the first half of the new version of Watership Down tonight. It's a co-production between the BBC and Netflix; I think it's all going up on Netflix tomorrow when the BBC shows the second half. It's all CG this time, but worth noting the bloody violence has been significantly toned down from the famously traumatic 1978 movie version.

The first one never got very gory at all in the first half either, it's what made all the violence in the second half so traumatic to me as a wee kid rofl

The bit that scarred me most was
    Holly recounting the story of what happened at Sandleford warren when the diggers moved in.

"We couldn't get out..."

Also, spoiler alert, but here's the numbers crunched for comparing the violence to the original across the whole thing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So I had a mandatory week off(yay corporate killing PTO carryover) but nothing else to do with it so I marathoned the entire series of Golden Girls. I've caught episodes here and there over the years but obviously standard cable it not conducive to watching the entirety of a seven(technically eight) season television show. The pilot of Empty Nest ostensibly being aired as an entire episode of Golden Girls was as bizarre a thing as I've ever seen in a sitcom(and man David Leisure is annoying in that episode), but it's pretty neat that there's occasional crossover over the years between the two shows. (even if it's mostly just Dreyfuss the dog being occasionally babysat by the ladies)

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    First four eps of Watership Down up on Netflix now. For those new to the story, the rabbits often speak their own language and the show gives you very little handholding, so you might want to have this spoiler free Lapine glossary open in the background.

Some critical words to know starting out:
    Owsla: the warren police force
    Elil: rabbits' natural enemies, including people
    Frith: the sun, personified as a creator god
    Inlé: the moon, also a god of death

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Watched the first half of the new version of Watership Down tonight. It's a co-production between the BBC and Netflix; I think it's all going up on Netflix tomorrow when the BBC shows the second half. It's all CG this time, but worth noting the bloody violence has been significantly toned down from the famously traumatic 1978 movie version. It's still dark as hell at times, though, so be warned it's not been exactly kiddified even if it's less gory.

It's really good, though. The voice cast is very strong, and it has a visual style that's a good balance between realistic and classic animated style, often doing a good job of evoking the beautiful painted backdrops of the old movie without copying. One criticism is that it can be a little bit too easy to lose track of which rabbit is which, especially in night scenes; most do have enough distinctive characteristics to tell them apart, but they can be subtle.

Better than the old movie? So far I'd say no, but that movie is an absolute stone cold classic so it was always going to be tough to match it. On its own merits I'm really digging this version, it's as good as I could have hoped for. It's a lot longer (200 minutes in its entirety versus the original's 91 minutes), though it doesn't drag at all so far; the extra time is put to good use and pacing is just fine.

Worth looking out for!

That looks kinda awful to me from the trailer. Like an late 90s CG video game cinematic.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Traveler's season 3 episode 9:
    It's bad enough they did a fake out last episode (even though the solution to that was kind of obvious), but if David is dead and didn't get his mind uploaded to all the space cleared out of Elsa or something I'm going to frown. Marcy was right to tell the Director off, fucking computer better do something.

And Protocol Omega is some bullshit with how things stand at the moment with only 1 episode to go unless they're going to suddenly clear everything up and get canceled. Unless it just meant it wasn't going to save David, in which case the Faction has the right idea.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    First four eps of Watership Down up on Netflix now. For those new to the story, the rabbits often speak their own language and the show gives you very little handholding, so you might want to have this spoiler free Lapine glossary open in the background.

Some critical words to know starting out:
    Owsla: the warren police force
    Elil: rabbits' natural enemies, including people
    Frith: the sun, personified as a creator god
    Inlé: the moon, also a god of death

Can't believe you left out the most important word.
    Hraka: poop

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I really dug Trollhunters, so I've been giving 3Below a shot, set in the same city. 2 episodes in and it blows. It has potential, but the antagonist needs to show up. Aliens getting confused at Earth concepts isn't novel in 2019.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Worth mentioning: Stranger Things premieres on July 4.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It was conspicuously absent last year, it will be good to have it back

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I really dug Trollhunters, so I've been giving 3Below a shot, set in the same city. 2 episodes in and it blows. It has potential, but the antagonist needs to show up. Aliens getting confused at Earth concepts isn't novel in 2019.

To me the turn-off was the "advanced civilization still inexplicably an absolute monarchy" part. Like why is the entire government still based on hereditary transfer of power? Honestly a coup against an elected leader where his children now have to flee a now fascist government would be a better premise.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    A thought I had about Bandersnatch

I was having a discussion with someone about whether or not anything Stefan experiences is 'real', if hes just having a schizophrenic break or if he actually is moving through time and I realised that the answer is actually neither.

In Terry Pratchetts "The Thief of Time" theres a conversation between two characters about the butterfly effect and choices implying the existence of infinite timelines. In this conversation its stated that the character Vimes though, has never murdered his wife for no reason in any timeline.

But this is a very optimistic, Pratchett like interpretation of what infinite realities means. The Black Mirror conception of unlimited realities is that yes, there are plenty of realities where you murder your dad for no reason. The very existence of the concept means that there must be. That much choice means that you paradoxically have no choice.

Stefan is having a schizophrenic break in any version of the story where you follow the timeline through to its conclusion and assert that it is a single linear narrative. But he and colin aren't wrong that at any point you could have (and will) made another path creating another reality.

Its quite different from BMs usual 'what if x technology went wrong' type stories but its more of a way of using game as a metaphor 'what if the CYOA conception of reality is actually true?"

Jeedan on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Maniac a bit more than I thought I would.

Also I keep seeing Bird Box mentioned everywhere but the premise seems stupid.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Bird Box was okay. It had some interesting concepts, and most of them were executed well. I'm kind of surprised at the way it has blown up on social media though over the last couple of weeks. Memes everywhere.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Twenty nine tees shows up with these new additions (and usual repeats) to Netflix! maybe they're all banned in Saudia Arabia too a zing!

Babel
    The Benchwarmers
    Black Hawk Down
    Body of LIes
    Boondock Saints 2
    Chappie
    Chasing Amy
    Cool Hand Luke
    The Crow
    The Dark Knight
    The Departed
    The Dirty Dozen
    Doctor Zhivago
    East of Eden
    Enter the Dragon
    Flatliners '90
    The Graduate
    Happy Feet
    HELL OR HIGH WATER (!!!!)
    All 4 Indiana Jones movies
    Jersey Boys
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Monthy Python's Holy Grail
    Mr. Bean's Holiday
    The three theatrical Brendan Frajer Mummy movies
    Pan's Labryinth
    Pulp Fiction
    Punch-Drunk Love
    SENNA (!!!!!!)
    Swingers
    Tears of the Sun
    Watchmen

And for TV shows, we have

Pinky Malinky
    Lemony Snickers Unfortunate Events S3
    A show called Good Girls that has Christina Hendricks in it about moms who rob a grocery store
    A netflix original called Tidying Up with Marie Kondo
    A Netflix original called Droppin' Cash L.A. (seems like a Cribs type show)
    Conan O'Brien's episodes where he went around the world

And a butt load of comedy specials, from Bill Hicks to Tim Allen to Sam Kinison and some original series show called Comedians of the World

• Options
    For the benefit of the thread: Senna is amazing. @TexiKen has highlighted that for a good reason. :+1:

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Just started Final Space on netflix, finished episode 2, and it's pretty intriguing!

Final Space is strange, in that it's more interesting as a straight sci fi story than as the comedy it sets out to be. I hear the Orville is the same.

Having finished final space, the sci-fi/comedy ratio works out better than in the orville.

Orville takes its time to get into its stride, final spaced manages by the end of the first episode

really liked it!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Despite not treading particularly new roads, I thought Bird Box was really good well made and enjoyed watching it! I'm not sure why the Internet is fighting over it.

• Options
    I'm not sure why the Internet is fighting over it.

Read that again, slowly

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why the Internet is fighting over it.

Read that again, slowly

Walked into that one. :P

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    shryke wrote: »

Worth looking out for!

That looks kinda awful to me from the trailer. Like an late 90s CG video game cinematic.

This was my takeaway from the show. I burned through it when it came online because I still read the book every year or two because I love it so. The animation and scenery suffered from the budget allowed, which was minimal from the product.

They made changes to the story that I found to change it for the worse rather than better. Small changes really I suppose but changes made to "add" to the story or "modernize" which, in the end, I felt just changed the base theme of the story. Overall a decent watch though. Not one I will rewatch though.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Watching You on Netflix and wow is this an incredibly creepy and messed up show. Its like what would happen if Dexter and dude from Nightcrawler had a son and that son became a stalker. And every once in a while the show successfully makes you forget that he's basically the devil and you briefly root for their love story and then immediately remember everything and you feel like you need a shower.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ok, yeah just finished You and wow

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Started watching The Orville this week and oh god no the Black Mirror planet, this is painful to watch

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Just watched Bird Box, and I for one enjoyed it. I thought it was well made and well acted. I have always liked Sandra Bullock too, which was a bonus.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I did not know that You was turned into a Netflix show!

The book was really good, but yeah, creepy af. I'll have to give the show a watch.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.