Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like, at this point, Trump isn't doing his job as President of the United States. I mean, no shit, given that he his campaign conspired with Russia in order to defraud the country he is now running. And that he thinks that being president can let him just spend all day at Mar-a-Lago or something. But, in my mind at least, this is a breathtaking instance of negligence from a public official. Trump is literally holding the government hostage because he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. That is to say, as said previously in this thread, a giant monument to racism. There are duties and obligations that come with being president. And Trump isn't doing them in a game of chicken where the thing at stake is the American people.

The Dems' position is eminently reasonable. Just pass a clean resolution, and then we can discuss border security. Trump's position is figuratively pouting in the corner because he believes everybody should defer to him, always and forevermore.

Which is again, why I say the 25th is arguably the best solution to this shit show; the president is clearly incapable of executing his duties so the cabinet should hold a vote to have him removed from office and have pence installed. The base will be pissed (not that it matters much because it's not like these idiots will ever not vote republican) but nobody in the cabinet has a serious political future ahead of them and it's not like trump has a hope in hell of winning in 2020 given the utter shit show that has been his presidency.

Hell, trump might even be secretly grateful since it means people won't be criticizing his every action (as much).

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Pelosi and Schumer spoke to the press outside the oval office and basically said Trump had a temper tantrum and walked out of the meeting.
    He specifically slammed his hand on the table and got up angrily after asking for wall funding in exchange for opening the government. And then he and his goons have the nerve to say the Democrats "won't negotiate." If you leave the negotiation table first, especially in a huff, you are the one refusing to negotiate.

That's true. On top of that, if we go to the negotiation table and our position is "let's agree to this reasonable thing," and yours is "I will kill you all", refusing to compromise isn't a lack of negotiation on our part. At some point, the thing you're trying to negotiate for or the way in which you are negotiating crosses a red line and it is acceptable at that point for the reasonable party to walk away from the table.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Reading about how food inspection has stopped while standing in line at the grocery store was fun.

This seems kind of super important. This need an individual funding bill and more media attention right now.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Food inspection was handled by states I thought? At the very least, where I live we're safe; Nevada state and Clark County handle food inspection probably more stringently than most other places because, y'know, the Strip is right fucking there. Can't have people getting sick.

Edit - Oh shit this is the distribution level like groceries. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Henroid on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Reading about how food inspection has stopped while standing in line at the grocery store was fun.

This seems kind of super important. This need an individual funding bill and more media attention right now.
    Oh that's right, the FTC and FDA do meat and seafood inspections at wholesalers. They also maintain CITES compliance.

...Yeah I totally forgot that was federal.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

The attention will be more "eat bacon lol" or "no meats were recalled last year, take that veggie eaters!"
    Its amazing to me for people to have little care about major functions of the government.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Brian Schatz is a Democratic Senator from Hawai'i.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

(ABC News reporter)
    The Dems don't feel any need to pretend Trump is anything but the brat he acts like. I think they knew going in to this meeting that no actual deal was going to happen and that it was likely Trump would act badly. McCarthy can claim Trump was basically Pericles but its laughable. All that this meeting and the resulting coverage did was further solidify who is at fault

I want to know if this was Trump's staff trying to get him to, you know, work as a real President would or if it was the GOP caucus pulling the strings and telling him to get his big boy pants on, or if it was Chuck & Nancy telling him to show up to talk. If it was the first, I want to know who suddenly had some serious competence granted them. Was it a genie wish or what?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Introducing bills that normalize Federal employees being unpaid makes me uncomfortable, even if it's kabuki.

I don't like that posture. I'd rather see them introducing politically-motivated bills that force snap elections in the event of shutdowns or cause Congress to lose their pay and benefits.

Its just so disingenous and smarmy and normalizing even though I agree with the sentiment that this shouldn't happen.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    The shutdown has stopped most routine food safety inspections

NBC News sez
    The ongoing federal government shutdown has stopped most food safety inspections, but the Food and Drug Administration is planning to resume at least some of them. To do it, the agency will have to force furloughed workers to come back without pay.

FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said he is trying to pinpoint the most essential inspections, while making sure that employees do not suffer too much.

“There’s no question of whether it’s business as usual at FDA,” Gottlieb told NBC News.

“It’s not business as usual, and we are not doing all the things we would do under normal circumstances. There are important things we are not doing.”

I'm excited to poop myself to death from some bad cilantro because of this nonsense.

Isn't there already a mini crisis with romaine lettuce being contaminated that was happening just before the shutdown too? I know it was affecting supply up here in Canada

There were a lot of shitstained vegetables last year.

I do believe this is done and over with now. There was a contamination from Arizona I believe, and once they recalled that group of produce and destroyed it it was over. Supply has been slowing coming back in.

Thank god that didn't happen like last week, lots of sick people then.

The thing is, we wouldn't know if something similar happened last week.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

It’s a nice gesture but I really don’t understand why a special class of workers gets protection from hardship over others? Additionally, why are creditors punished for government shutdown?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Like, at this point, Trump isn't doing his job as President of the United States. I mean, no shit, given that he his campaign conspired with Russia in order to defraud the country he is now running. And that he thinks that being president can let him just spend all day at Mar-a-Lago or something. But, in my mind at least, this is a breathtaking instance of negligence from a public official. Trump is literally holding the government hostage because he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. That is to say, as said previously in this thread, a giant monument to racism. There are duties and obligations that come with being president. And Trump isn't doing them in a game of chicken where the thing at stake is the American people.

The Dems' position is eminently reasonable. Just pass a clean resolution, and then we can discuss border security. Trump's position is figuratively pouting in the corner because he believes everybody should defer to him, always and forevermore.

Which is again, why I say the 25th is arguably the best solution to this shit show; the president is clearly incapable of executing his duties so the cabinet should hold a vote to have him removed from office and have pence installed. The base will be pissed (not that it matters much because it's not like these idiots will ever not vote republican) but nobody in the cabinet has a serious political future ahead of them and it's not like trump has a hope in hell of winning in 2020 given the utter shit show that has been his presidency.

Hell, trump might even be secretly grateful since it means people won't be criticizing his every action (as much).

The 25th Amendment takes a 2/3rds majority in both Chambers of Congress to sustain. If there are the votes for that there are the votes for a budget override.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It’s a nice gesture but I really don’t understand why a special class of workers gets protection from hardship over others? Additionally, why are creditors punished for government shutdown?
    While I agree in the general concept of "people making low income have hardship, wtf," federal employees right now are having an unexpected and through-no-fault-of-their-own complete cessation to income. The protections are also not an ever-lasting thing, they're aiming to protect these people for the moment.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Josh Dawsey is a Washington Post reporter and CNN analyst.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    a

(ABC News reporter)
    The Dems don't feel any need to pretend Trump is anything but the brat he acts like. I think they knew going in to this meeting that no actual deal was going to happen and that it was likely Trump would act badly. McCarthy can claim Trump was basically Pericles but its laughable. All that this meeting and the resulting coverage did was further solidify who is at fault

I want to know if this was Trump's staff trying to get him to, you know, work as a real President would or if it was the GOP caucus pulling the strings and telling him to get his big boy pants on, or if it was Chuck & Nancy telling him to show up to talk. If it was the first, I want to know who suddenly had some serious competence granted them. Was it a genie wish or what?

Our president is easily cowed in to doing things when confronted. That’s all. He’s historically terrified of direct confrontation so when somebody pestered him to go at least appear to be trying he caved. It’s also why he left negotiations immediately.

He’s the President of the United States and he said “They told me I had to do the meeting.” It is dismally pathetic.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    a

(ABC News reporter)

Our president is easily cowed in to doing things when confronted. That’s all. He’s historically terrified of direct confrontation so when somebody pestered him to go at least appear to be trying he caved. It’s also why he left negotiations immediately.

He’s the President of the United States and he said “They told me I had to do the meeting.” It is dismally pathetic.

It would be sad if he wasn't an unbelievable piece of shit, AND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

While I agree in the general concept of "people making low income have hardship, wtf," federal employees right now are having an unexpected and through-no-fault-of-their-own complete cessation to income. The protections are also not an ever-lasting thing, they're aiming to protect these people for the moment.
    Fair point. I feel like it’s definitely a meaningless gesture from a legal scope perspective though. I do 100% empathize with those suffering from the shutdown. I guess I wish we never got to the point where we have to legislate just exactly what kind of brinkmanship we want to play with.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/01/09/coast-guard-families-told-they-can-have-garage-sales-cope-with-government-shutdown/
    Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting, dog-walking or serving as a “mystery shopper.”

The suggestions were part of a five-page tip sheet published by the Coast Guard Support Program, an employee-assistance arm of the service often known as CG SUPRT. It is designated to offer Coast Guard members help with mental-health issues or other concerns about their lives, including financial wellness.
    The tip sheet, titled “Managing your finances during a furlough,” applies to the Coast Guard’s 8,500-person civilian work force. About 6,400 of them are on indefinite furlough, while 2,100 are working without pay after being identified as essential workers, said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. They were last paid for the two-week period ending Dec. 22.

“While it may be uncomfortable to deal with the hard facts, it’s best to avoid the 'hide your head in the sand’ reaction," the tip sheet said. "Stay in charge of the situation by getting a clear understanding of what’s happening.”

The Coast Guard removed the tip sheet from the support program’s website late Wednesday morning after The Washington Post inquired about it.

The suggestions do not “reflect the Coast Guard’s current efforts to support our workforce during this lapse in appropriations," said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. “As such, this guidance has been removed.”
    That is the sort of advice that just makes it obvious how they have no good advice.

• Options

Fair point. I feel like it’s definitely a meaningless gesture from a legal scope perspective though. I do 100% empathize with those suffering from the shutdown. I guess I wish we never got to the point where we have to legislate just exactly what kind of brinkmanship we want to play with.
    As far as government actions go though this is one of the most immediate and tangible things to do. It's less ethereal like "you'll see it around next year's tax time."

• Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/01/09/coast-guard-families-told-they-can-have-garage-sales-cope-with-government-shutdown/
    Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting, dog-walking or serving as a “mystery shopper.”

The suggestions were part of a five-page tip sheet published by the Coast Guard Support Program, an employee-assistance arm of the service often known as CG SUPRT. It is designated to offer Coast Guard members help with mental-health issues or other concerns about their lives, including financial wellness.
    The tip sheet, titled “Managing your finances during a furlough,” applies to the Coast Guard’s 8,500-person civilian work force. About 6,400 of them are on indefinite furlough, while 2,100 are working without pay after being identified as essential workers, said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. They were last paid for the two-week period ending Dec. 22.

“While it may be uncomfortable to deal with the hard facts, it’s best to avoid the 'hide your head in the sand’ reaction," the tip sheet said. "Stay in charge of the situation by getting a clear understanding of what’s happening.”

The Coast Guard removed the tip sheet from the support program’s website late Wednesday morning after The Washington Post inquired about it.

The suggestions do not “reflect the Coast Guard’s current efforts to support our workforce during this lapse in appropriations," said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. “As such, this guidance has been removed.”
    That is the sort of advice that just makes it obvious how they have no good advice.
    The advice is coming from an internal thing within the Coast Guard so it's less insulting to be honest. Because really what else are they supposed to fucking do? A lot of people get paralyzed with fear when it comes to their income coming to a stop (I know I do) so even a simple suggestion can help.

It'd be a totally different story if the administration was telling them this shit. Like a gulf of difference.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    They should just continue to introduce individual emergency spending bills and pass them until we fund the whole government. "Oh no, better fund the IRS only so everyone gets tax returns. Better fund the FDA so the food isn't poisoned. Better emergency fund HUD so no one loses their house. Better fund SNAP... (72 hours later)... Uh, better fund... NASA... in case... a meteor is coming towards us?" Until we get literally everything funded except ICE/DHS.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not really sure on the context for this?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I think he's going to go the route of national emergency to try and do it. Then it will get tied up in the courts and he can spend the next two years yelling at the court system.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not really sure on the context for this?

It's what he said when storming out of the meeting covered on the past two pages.

• Options
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ev3eq7/people-bet-on-how-much-trump-would-lie-address-make-270000-vgtrn
    Gamblers Made $270,000 Betting That Trump Would Lie a Bunch in His Address

"We knew we were in trouble early with this one," a bookmaker said.
    An online gambling house called BookMaker took bets on how many "false statements" Trump would make in his eight-minute speech, with the over-under set at 3.5. BookMaker's odds consultant, John Lester, told the New York Daily News that the site intentionally avoided calling them "lies," so it wouldn't have to "prove that the President is intentionally misleading the public."

According to Lester, the site had pulled in "over $100,000 in action on this wager in the first twelve hours alone," and it sounds like the people who bet on Trump's, uh, tenuous relationship with the truth made some serious cash.
    I could have made money off of this!?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    They should just continue to introduce individual emergency spending bills and pass them until we fund the whole government. "Oh no, better fund the IRS only so everyone gets tax returns. Better fund the FDA so the food isn't poisoned. Better emergency fund HUD so no one loses their house. Better fund SNAP... (72 hours later)... Uh, better fund... NASA... in case... a meteor is coming towards us?" Until we get literally everything funded except ICE/DHS.

That's precisely why McConnell is going to pretend none of that is happening at all.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ev3eq7/people-bet-on-how-much-trump-would-lie-address-make-270000-vgtrn

An online gambling house called BookMaker took bets on how many "false statements" Trump would make in his eight-minute speech, with the over-under set at 3.5. BookMaker's odds consultant, John Lester, told the New York Daily News that the site intentionally avoided calling them "lies," so it wouldn't have to "prove that the President is intentionally misleading the public."

According to Lester, the site had pulled in "over $100,000 in action on this wager in the first twelve hours alone," and it sounds like the people who bet on Trump's, uh, tenuous relationship with the truth made some serious cash.
    Who the fuck was betting that he would tell the truth?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I'm guessing the bet was on a flat number, rather than whether he would tell the truth or not.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

His supporters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea the over under was waaay to low there

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    The thing I really want people to learn from this fiasco is the depth of the Republican's apathy towards actually governing because holy shit just pass a clean CR for fuck's sake

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Food inspection was handled by states I thought? At the very least, where I live we're safe; Nevada state and Clark County handle food inspection probably more stringently than most other places because, y'know, the Strip is right fucking there. Can't have people getting sick.

Edit - Oh shit this is the distribution level like groceries. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yikes I guess cook everything extra well until this gets sorted.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeesh, setting an over/under of 3.5 is ridiculously optimistic. talk about easy money

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

Yikes I guess cook everything extra well until this gets sorted.
    Wash your meats and veggies. No joke. But even then, that and thorough cooking (get a meat thermometer btw) doesn't get rid of all foodborne illnesses.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The thing I really want people to learn from this fiasco is the depth of the Republican's apathy towards actually governing because holy shit just pass a clean CR for fuck's sake

Many Republicans want to dramatically shrink the government and privatize damn near everything

That cute but holy shit the implications thing with Domino's Pizza fixing the potholes in that one town? My Dad and his family think that's amazing, so do many people at my workplace

• Options
    Trump does not know the meaning of doing everything you can do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/shutdown-day-19-trump-comes-to-congress-as-gop-faces-unity-test-over-wall-funding/2019/01/09/8f3bfab8-1423-11e9-b6ad-9cfd62dbb0a8_story.html
    Moderate Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) pleaded with Trump to reopen the government, according to lawmakers present.

Trump said that he was doing everything he could — but that he wouldn’t end the standoff by taking nothing,
    according to two people familiar with the exchange who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the private discussion.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

As far as government actions go though this is one of the most immediate and tangible things to do. It's less ethereal like "you'll see it around next year's tax time."

It's also about optics, making sure the GOP can't play the "You don't care about the workers, you just want the government shut down" card. The Democrats have been exceptionally good this time around getting out in front of what accusations usually get made in a shutdown, and making sure all the balls are in the GOP's court.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Protecting one class of workers from hardship can make some sense when the hardship is created, or more specifically mandated, by law. Federal workers not essential are prevented from working by law, and those working without pay are prevented from being paid by law. “Fixing” that by providing them protection from creditors and civil action during and immediately after a shutdown can make a certain kind of sense.

It’s basically the ugly cousin of USERRA.

I still don’t support it, because it then normalizes the idea of government shutdowns as a negotiating tactic, plus obviously it does nothing to protect those impacted by the government failing to perform its functions. It’s a band-aid on a self-inflicted bullet wound.

I’m sure the AP is standing behind the idea though.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It was fun/enlightening hearing NPR's news blurb about the meeting today. It basically was one line each. Schumer saying the President asking for the wall to open the gov't, dems say no, Trump walks out. Then, Pence said the President would agree to open the gov't if he was given the wall "very soon," dems say no, Trump says they have nothing to discuss and walks out.

It's going to be VERY difficult for Republicans to spin this temper tantrum.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

That's basically what they're doing except the Senate won't pass them

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.