Options

Important [chat]stinctions

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Dont be like Dave, kids

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    What’s the point of the stupid region code + MAC address name scheme for company computers. It’s terrible and makes it impossible to remember how to connect to internal resources or how to remote in to your own machines.

It’s so obnoxious that it must serve some purpose but I cannot figure out what.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    fuckin' Dave

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Metric is solid

Rock / alt with female vocals recommendations, anyone?

Go listen to boygenius right now

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    vUyRt1e.jpg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The only reason to use MAC address in device names that I can think of is when you use switch port locking.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I like calling IT to set up a new machine for me and when they arrive, the Join Domain dialog is open and prepopulated with all the right info.

And they say

“Wow did you work IT?”

“Yes, for about 4 years to pay for college”

“Cool. Wait before I join this, does this machine conform to our new machine naming policy of 4 letter company region code followed by an 8 hex digits from the MAC?”

“It’s uh, grandfathered in”

“But this is a brand new machine. That’s the motherboard box right there”

“Shhh. Shhhhhh quiet your worried little mouth it’s grandfathered in. join it to the domain and I’ll even run all the setup scripts and configure office. You can just go back to the help desk.”

“Uhhhh... fine.”

You're IT's worst nightmare

guilty. at least I actually ran the setup scripts including bigfix and symantec antivirus even though both of those are the worst.

they use bigfix?

well in that case they deserve whatever happens

Big presentation coming up? BIGFIX HAS AN UPDATE RIGHT THE FUCK NOW THAT YOU WERE NEVER PREVIOISLY TOLD ABOUT NO YOU CANNOT EVEN MINIMIZE THIS WINDOW RESTART NOW

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    fuckin' Dave

Is this because you read Feral's post or are you just giving us an update

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ok now I admit I’ve tried to do something like what Dave did but we just wanted to see what would happen.

Turns out it breaks.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tumin wrote: »
    Metric is solid

:+1:

Nice, thanks!

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The only reason to use MAC address in device names that I can think of is when you use switch port locking.

Might be just a way to make sure you don't run into collisions with the first piece which is probably an audit/inventory thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm printing three Massive Darkness tokens at once and for some reason this print is taking three times as long. I demand a refund!

• Options
    fuckin' Dave

Is this because you read Feral's post or are you just giving us an update

yes

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm printing three Massive Darkness tokens at once and for some reason this print is taking three times as long. I demand a refund!

What happens if you were to add a 4th?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Might be just a way to make sure you don't run into collisions with the first piece which is probably an audit/inventory thing.

Couldn’t we instead check for collisions at domain join time? Which coincidentally is always done anyway.

• Options
    Nothing like having a computer call "Samantha-RN-front" and samantha the rn hasn't worked in your office in 15 years. And what the hell does front mean?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Nothing like having a computer call "Samantha-RN-front" and samantha the rn hasn't worked in your office in 15 years. And what the hell does front mean?

The computer misses her?

• Options
    So the question of the weekend will be....

Grab Tales of Vesperia and play through for like the 4th time but this time on the switch!

Or grab Mario Bros U Deluxe and perhaps have major fights with LadyJubs? :) heh

Tough decision.

• Options
    I'm just saying... It took a while to find a computer that was built into a wall once

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    We have a dumb VPN system at work.

Setting up a VPN connection to our office computers isfine, but I do my development on a separate network. So we have two choices.

1) VPN to office network, remote to office computer, VPN to dev network, remote to dev machine. If we ever leave the computer for more than 15 minutes, the connection shuts down and locks you from reconnecting for X amount of time.

2) VPN directly to dev network, but make sure you provide IT with your home IP address or it won't accept the connection. Oh, your IP has changed since the last time you had to remote in? Too bad, it'll take an unknown amount of time to add your new IP address into the firewall rules.

Home IP Address? Why don't they tie it to a secure token or MAC address

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    And where is Samantha-RN-back??

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    What’s the point of the stupid region code + MAC address name scheme for company computers. It’s terrible and makes it impossible to remember how to connect to internal resources or how to remote in to your own machines.

Computer naming conventions are a constant internecine holy war among sysadmins, like spaces v tabs or CamelCase v underscores

Ask 10 different IT nerds about naming conventions and you'll get 12 different answers and all of them are wrong except my way

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tumin wrote: »
    Metric is solid

:+1:

Nice, thanks!

I love all the women on the album as solonartists and their interviews are amazing listening. Just fabulous and this work elevates them all.

Lissie is also great and one of my favorite artists. Catching a Tiger, her first album, is almost all solid songs.

You said Metric so its hard to tell how niche of things to suggest.

Tumin on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Grab Tales of Vesperia and play through for like the 4th time but this time on the switch!

Tough decision.

Did you play the original Mario Bros. U?

• Options
    I'm just saying... It took a while to find a computer that was built into a wall once

If you have port locking on (ie locks port to mac address) it makes it easier to find the computer if it misbehaves. We dont use it on our desktop level but we do use a variation on our switching and such.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    My computers are Moonshine, Moonknight, Spectre, Janus, and Julius. If my babies are stripped of their names and given some barcode assed identifier I’ll be very sad and also have to carry around a slip of paper for remoting to them from labs.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    My friend Steve (who always goes for weird or funny character concepts) in our Ravnica game is rolling up a Cowboy Entertainer who was shifted from Earth to Ravnica, and in the process, was merged with his horse (either by the Simic Combine or by the magic that transported him there). So he is effectively a Centaur ("Better'n bein' dead"), with none of the cultural knowledge or connections that usually come with being a Centaur. The character's name is "Wild Bill" and back in the (18)90s, back in the 90s, he was in a very famous TV Wild West show. He actually is named William, and people on Earth assumed that he's THE Wild Bill (who died holding the Dead Man's Hand back in 1876), to which he had a Office Space Michael Bolton reaction ("Dammit, his real name wasn't even Bill. It was James Butler Hickok!").

Now he makes his living doing Rope Tricks and other Cowboy stunts for the amusement of Ravnicans. In a world stuck with Bards playing Lutes, the weirdo with the rope is actual novel entertainment.

Should be an interesting and funny character. We are simulating his gunslinging skills with the Artificer-Gunsmith class from Eberron.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Tough decision.

Did you play the original Mario Bros. U?

I did but she didnt.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Computer naming conventions are a constant internecine holy war among sysadmins, like spaces v tabs or CamelCase v underscores

Ask 10 different IT nerds about naming conventions and you'll get 12 different answers and all of them are wrong except my way

All of the devices on our network are named mycomputer, Mycomputer, myComputer, my computer, etc

Security through obscurity

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    My friend Steve (who always goes for weird or funny character concepts) in our Ravnica game is rolling up a Cowboy Entertainer who was shifted from Earth to Ravnica, and in the process, was merged with his horse (either by the Simic Combine or by the magic that transported him there). So he is effectively a Centaur ("Better'n bein' dead"), with none of the cultural knowledge or connections that usually come with being a Centaur. The character's name is "Wild Bill" and back in the (18)90s, back in the 90s, he was in a very famous TV Wild West show. He actually is named William, and people on Earth assumed that he's THE Wild Bill (who died holding the Dead Man's Hand back in 1876), to which he had a Office Space Michael Bolton reaction ("Dammit, his real name wasn't even Bill. It was James Butler Hickok!").

Now he makes his living doing Rope Tricks and other Cowboy stunts for the amusement of Ravnicans. In a world stuck with Bards playing Lutes, the weirdo with the rope is actual novel entertainment.

Should be an interesting and funny character. We are simulating his gunslinging skills with the Artificer-Gunsmith class from Eberron.

Wait he kept his gun, too? Where does he get ammo? Love the concept.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My computers are Moonshine, Moonknight, Spectre, Janus, and Julius. If my babies are stripped of their names and given some barcode assed identifier I’ll be very sad and also have to carry around a slip of paper for remoting to them from labs.

You're a horrible person.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bought some corn nuts on my lunch break, complained about the size of the bag.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

hollered about kids on my lawn

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Assigning anything other than a technical aspect and overall location is making 3 weeks of horrible work for you in 2 years.

Location number and MAC is a v good method for organizing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

hollered about kids on my lawn

I live in a condo don't have a lawn, but I have complained about the neighbors smoking too much pot.

https://kotaku.com/former-gearbox-lawyer-accuses-ceo-randy-pitchford-of-ta-1831679539

Man gearbox more like toolbox M I RIGHT?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

You're a horrible person.

Hey, IT picked Moonshine, Moonknight, and Julius, presumably out of some sort of list. Then the IT director was let go... ok yes this is starting to come together.

• Options
    Basically, everyone complaining about what appears to be esoteric naming schemes in computers just needs to remember one thing: If you don't manage every PC in the company, your opinion matters about nothing. Nobody in IT wants to make their lives a living hell figuring where computer X or Y is because someone wanted to be cute with their naming scheme.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Wait he kept his gun, too? Where does he get ammo? Love the concept.
    As a Gunsmith, you get a magical ammo bag to feed your Thunder Cannon, and you get Smith's Tools proficiency, which we are assuming are gun smith forging stuff, so he makes his own weapons and bullets.

It's kind of a "I know how to make Gunpowder because of Chemistry Book in my trunk" dodge (from "Army of Darkness"), but we think it's character-appropriate and setting-appropriate for our campaign (which will lean more toward silly than arch).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    My treasure hunter rogue in dnd was handed a rope of climbing and I like the idea of him using it in combat by using fast hands, his class feature as a thief archtype, and utilizing its command word to fasten or move. If I wrap it around some dude's arm and command it to hoist up ten feet that guy is dangling helplessly.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Metric is solid

@SummaryJudgment

https://youtu.be/C-2qUTB0BSI

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.