As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't think I have those, but I will check. It isn't a super big deal. I now have a buuuunch of set stuff, I just need to organize it.

Also is upgrading an item and recalibrating it the same?

No, recalibrating lets you change one thing on a standard armor piece, two things on a classified set piece, or one trait on a weapon. Like if you want the high roll to be stamina over firearms.Its kind of like in d3 where you can reroll one stat on items.

Upgrading flat out upgrades the armor, maxing the stats on it eventually.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Trailer and etc coming tomorrow apparently

(it's not political though lol)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I grabbed The Division the other day from the humble monthly and I've been having a pretty good time so far. I think I'm level 13 or so? I'm a little disappointed that my nobody from my normal game group wants to join me. Is this one of those games where it's so much better as a multi experience over solo that I should find someone to group with or browbeat my friends to pick it up?

• Options
    Trailer and etc coming tomorrow apparently

(it's not political though lol)

Well it isn't political in that the Division takes place in an alternate timeline, but it is political in that any media we produce is informed by politics in some way.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I grabbed The Division the other day from the humble monthly and I've been having a pretty good time so far. I think I'm level 13 or so? I'm a little disappointed that my nobody from my normal game group wants to join me. Is this one of those games where it's so much better as a multi experience over solo that I should find someone to group with or browbeat my friends to pick it up?

To put it in a word: Yes.

To put it in more words: Because of the down-but-not-out system, grouping can lead to slightly more reckless behavior and a little more leeway in terms of running silly-but-not-optimal builds for the most part. When you start getting into Legendary/Challenging difficulty missions and Incursions, grouping is just plain going to be mandatory.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    But the nice thing is division lets you matchmake for a lot of activities if not all of them. So even if your bros don't pick it up, there is match making you can do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    But the nice thing is division lets you matchmake for a lot of activities if not all of them. So even if your bros don't pick it up, there is match making you can do.

Even better, though, is that there are PA peeps still playing The Division.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't think I have those, but I will check. It isn't a super big deal. I now have a buuuunch of set stuff, I just need to organize it.

Also is upgrading an item and recalibrating it the same?

No, recalibrating lets you change one thing on a standard armor piece, two things on a classified set piece, or one trait on a weapon. Like if you want the high roll to be stamina over firearms.Its kind of like in d3 where you can reroll one stat on items.

Upgrading flat out upgrades the armor, maxing the stats on it eventually.

Should be noted that upgrading won't push an item past its tier, so anything you have under 256 can't go higher. You also may want to hold off using the upgrade system on non-exotic, non-classified set weapons. I think normal sets cap out at 286 power, but your classified items can hit 293. Classified holster is 295. So your 277 gear score items would cost a bit more to max out (50 div tech per upgrade). If you already have a classified T5 holster that you use, I'd start with upgrading that as you can max it out and they tend to have all 3 attributes on it.

You can bump them up a little just to move the bar forward, but yeah.

Thought I posted this but I guess I just wrote it and walked away.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Yeah you only want to upgrade either a high quality yellow or exotic gun, and really classified gear for green.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed in The Division 2 right now for a very specific reason: Survival; the lack of it.

Survival is what got me into The Division in the first place. Back in the Before Times I saw TB's video on the game and realized I wasn't interested. I didn't share TB's view that the game should be more realistic (he seemed to want bullets to hurt like bullets and enemies to be less spongy... but he liked a harshness in gaming difficulty I don't share).

Flash forward to Jingle's video where he played Survival for the first time- that's what hooked me.

I've done most everything that could be done in The Division, but Survival was the main time sink for me and a friend. We loved it in spite of all its flaws. Even though Survival wasted some of its potential by refusing to implement random item spawns, among other issues, it was an experience I truly enjoyed. Massive had an excellent base upon which they could have been a leader in the Battle Royale craze, but they never really acted on it. A few key changes could have made it great.

It's disappointing that Survival's been left as an open-ended item that may or may not come in DLC.

• Options
    Man, I sure do hope that they don't bring back survival as DLC. The fact that there's a "dark zone experience" returning isn't desirable for me either.

But to each his/her own I guess.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Man, I sure do hope that they don't bring back survival as DLC. The fact that there's a "dark zone experience" returning isn't desirable for me either.

But to each his/her own I guess.

I don't mind the Dark Zone for the most part, I just play it as PvE where shit can go wrong fast. Survival has been fun the few times I have set aside time to play it, just wish they made the rewards better in the rest of the game for doing it.

With that being said I wouldn't ever want to hope that they don't bring back stuff that people love just because it isn't my particular cup of tea or might make me miss out on some cheevos.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I have been playing a few times a week (a little with family) but mostly solo. There aren't clans/guilds in game right? Is there a PA list to add to friends?

• Options
    I really liked survival too, but I'm more interested in them nailing the core gameplay first, which survival wasn't really, but I'd love it for dlc. Especially like swapping a blizzard for like a hurricane? Where you have to worry about like debris and stuff.

We get a new trailer today in like 12 minutes!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    https://youtu.be/ktNvh63KkQQ

Private beta feb 7-10 for preorders!

So it does say some people came from new york. Maybe its just the management from the first game. Faye and the rest? I would like to have an in game representation of moving my agent over, but eh I can always just remake her for Div 2 as well.

So we have looters, religious fanatics (oooh boy this one could be a horrible ball of wax since we see a literal suicide bomber in the trailer) fascists (another stickey wicket) and then some shadow government/backed military group for factions to fight this time out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I thought I heard it would be agents coming from NYC, too. But it's been so long I don't even know what that source would've been.

The trailer makes it sound like the flu didn't make it out of the US or maybe they haven't been able to make outside contact for awhile.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    I thought Rick Valassi mentioned other countries during his "Shit is bad other places too" podcasts in the first game. I mean its not really feasible that there would be a massive viral outbreak that originates in New York that didn't get to other places.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zetx wrote: »
    I thought I heard it would be agents coming from NYC, too. But it's been so long I don't even know what that source would've been.

The trailer makes it sound like the flu didn't make it out of the US or maybe they haven't been able to make outside contact for awhile.

Probably the latter. In-game there's mention of people losing contact with parts of world and it spreading and one guy on a shield recording talks about Russia or something.

• Options
    Rhah wrote: »
    I have been playing a few times a week (a little with family) but mostly solo. There aren't clans/guilds in game right? Is there a PA list to add to friends?

There actually is! I had to go back to one of the earlier threads, but here it is:

PA Player List (may not be up to date)

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, I agree. It'd be impossible to shutdown New York so quickly.

I guess the speech is just very localized which also makes sense given the rest of the dialog.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Yeah I mean we can see that DC is overgrown. Which means things went to shit all over the US and probably the world. Basically the Division 1 was the start of the apocalypse, Div 2 is "yep we're in the apocalypse". I have hope from previous news that this time out players are going to do more than just give out some sodas to a couple needy people.

Like one line of dialogue in the trailer about what they are doing isn't being seen in other places gives me hope they heard that critique from the first game. I want to build outposts, not just find them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    People would have to drop dead within minutes for the virus to have not gone global, as they thought it was the flu at first, and... having the flu doesn't stop people from getting on airplanes. Starting out at NYC on a Black Friday pretty much guarunteed its spread. Plus, it was contagious even before the symptoms show and mutates constantly and all those other fancy things.

edit: The only people really left in the The Division 2 are the people who were either immune to the virus, never -ever- exposed to the virus, or survived it too?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    People would have to drop dead within minutes for the virus to have not gone global, as they thought it was the flu at first, and... having the flu doesn't stop people from getting on airplanes. Starting out at NYC on a Black Friday pretty much guarunteed its spread. Plus, it was contagious even before the symptoms show and mutates constantly and all those other fancy things.

edit: The only people really left in the The Division 2 are the people who were either immune to the virus, never -ever- exposed to the virus, or survived it too?

Yeah survivors of the flu basically. In the first game we retrieve anti virals and we have Kandel? (I think that was her name) working on a cure, though that would only help people in new york really. What will be interesting is to see if they go over how we get some of the updated gear, or if new york is "secured" or if its just holding on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Hah yeah, maybe it was a sillier assumption on my part. Been awhile since I've gone through TD lore so it's good to get a refresher.

Honestly, I'm more hyped than I thought I'd be, but I'm cautiously optimistic that Massive has actually learned and listened... Hopefully.

Back to lore: I should actually read New York Collapse since I grabbed it on launch :lol:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    I'd hope they learned from the first game, or at the very least from what happened with Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 (another troubled launch that improved just in time for a sequel to come out and forget a lot of the lessons the first game 'learned'). I guess we'll get a taste in feb!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If there's a non F2P game/developer that's learned from their launch and course corrected hard, I think it's these guys

• Options
    I thought the same of Bungie and they still put out Destiny 2 like they did. But I'm hopeful with massive, the improvements they laid out for the division were really good and made the game super fun to play and rewarding.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Supposedly Bungie was getting pushed around by Activision weren't they?

With Division 1 I think it was likely Ubi that forced the course correction as the original devs basically came out and said "Yes, the Dark Zone is functioning exactly as we had hoped and it's so fun ganking people lol" and then all the changes came that largely made the DZ irrelevant.

I mean it's possible they changed their mind on their own but I think that's unlikely when their response to criticism of the DZ was "Yes, we know, it's awesome!"

• Options
    True, but Massive has the example of Bungie and their handling of Destiny 2 and even the Forsaken expansion to learn from. :P

• Options
    It's assumed it was activision. I dunno Massive I think had an idea on how the dark zone could work and should work, and just were let down how people do open world stuff.

Like RDR 2 online is having to course correct on their open world pvp because people can be such douchebags. Its like devs have a really altruistic view of players and players keep lowering that bar.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If you look at what was out at the time (survival/asshole simulators), I imagine the dark zone played to their expectations, and probably not worse. I mean... let's not forget that "cut the rope" wasn't a feature at DZ launch. Iterations and adjustments of the rogue system helped, but not so much. Having a group of four players flag rogue on me first doesn't make much of a difference than if they all just shot me intentionally. Doesn't really do much to change that outcome.

I think the one thing that would have made the dark zone suck significantly less would have been a passive mode a la GTA:O.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    One of my issues with the dark zone was how different it was compared to LZ? Like if you encounter a squad or even a solo geared and looking for pvp, you better be geared for that. And then you better be ready to fight like that, too. IIRC, taking cover and all that isn't gonna help much when they come charging at you. (*I never played much of it)

At which point you either stop trying to dz or just hope you don't get put in the same instance...

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Most of the time you can avoid assholes in the DZ, at least on the xbone. I mean I've been killed by surprise flags too, but its a better system especially when you can see yellow skulls now and go "ok assholes over here."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    (PC here) I haven't gone back extensively since before the first dlc so not too familiar with rogue 2.0. I'm gonna eventually to get 4 shields though.

Missing a couple WSP mobs, all the DZ ones, and then the DZ landmarks.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Being able to hop instances would be another thing I'd like to see in the DZ. If things got too garbage in your GTA:O lobby, or fighting the same person got old for you but not for them... you could just leave and resume playing in the world just, not with that person. In The Division, it's pretty much, guess you're playing elsewhere or doing another game. Sometimes you can get the game to flip instances for you by leaving and coming back and stuff, sometimes that just didn't work. Being able to just tell it, get me out of here? Aces.

Flagging is certainly better than the ol' let me get into your stream of fire over and over again oh hey now you're the rogue! but the choice is still on the part of the aggressor and not the victim.

• Options
    What sucked about the DZ is its the only zone in the game you're just match made with randos for open world stuff without like being in a party. Like I remember early division having some pretty cool times with other guys pitching in and helping to take down a landmark or a boss. Or everyone loading up our dz gains and hoping "ok I hope none of these fuckers are going to shoot me in the back."

Just the longer a game goes on, the more board people get with a vanilla experience and seek to spice it up with asshole behavior.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Supposedly Bungie was getting pushed around by Activision weren't they?

With Division 1 I think it was likely Ubi that forced the course correction as the original devs basically came out and said "Yes, the Dark Zone is functioning exactly as we had hoped and it's so fun ganking people lol" and then all the changes came that largely made the DZ irrelevant.

I mean it's possible they changed their mind on their own but I think that's unlikely when their response to criticism of the DZ was "Yes, we know, it's awesome!"

People like to blame Activision because, well, they're Activision, but most of the blame for that one was on Bungie. Their "main" team that made D1 almost immediately went on to developing D2, while the "live" team took over to fix D1. Except those two teams had almost zero cross-talk, so the "main" team fucked up tons of issues in D2 that had been fixed by the "live" team in D1 years ago.

I don't know anything about Massive's internal structure to know whether that's a concern, but I know they've made several statements about watching D2's self-immolation and not wanting to repeat it.

• Options
    Mainly this time out I hope when exploits are found (because there will be exploits) that they correct and punish the people exploiting unlike what they did in Div 1.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It's assumed it was activision. I dunno Massive I think had an idea on how the dark zone could work and should work, and just were let down how people do open world stuff.

Like RDR 2 online is having to course correct on their open world pvp because people can be such douchebags. Its like devs have a really altruistic view of players and players keep lowering that bar.

Red Dead Online is interesting to me because Rockstar has 5 years worth of data from GTA Online, but still assumed that people wouldn't immediately resort to being shitheads.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Red Dead Online is interesting to me because Rockstar has 5 years worth of data from GTA Online, but still assumed that people wouldn't immediately resort to being shitheads.

I honestly think they assumed the more mature nature of the single player would lead to a more mature player base. Or maybe they thought the player base wanted the gank fest and were surprised people wanted the hunting and fishing simulator.

Its hard because we as gamers can make assumptions but we never get a true picture even when we get a "behind the scenes" because even then that's curated by whoevers giving you the glimpse and their bias's there in.

pleasepaypreacher.net