As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait...beep...beep...beep...Wait. Sights of San Antonio Thread.

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
Anyone have ideas for sights to see in San Antonio? I was thinking about going on a Ghost Tour.

There are the Ripley's attractions. The wax museum had a cool horror section. I think they had a haunted house. I might try that.

Last time I was there, I went to a restaurant with an animatronic jungle.

Also, hotel recommendations would be great.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The river also runs into the mall there. You can get an ice cream a the creamery and go out an a little island there.

There is also a Dave and Buster's in the mall.

I guess I will stay where I did last time. It seems like the only place with a complimentary breakfast.

• darkdonutdarkdonut San AntonioRegistered User regular
    From what I know there's Ripley's Haunted Adventure, Tomb Rider 3D, Guinness World Records Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Plaza Wax Museum, and the Amazing Mirror Maze all along Alamo Plaza across from the Alamo. The restaurant you mentioned is the Rainforest Cafe. If you want a cafe where they're paid to be mean to you, then you got Dick's Last Resort, which is also along the Riverwalk. If you're into seeing furniture made out of horns and antlers, stuffed animals, and oddities then there's the The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum. If you're interested in Texas history then there's the Institute of Texan Cultures. If you want a really huge selection of candy and bottled sodas then Rocket Fizz is a place to check out.

pue9noz8cwrd.png

Yeah. Buckhorn and Rocket Fizz seem interesting.

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Here's some real truth from a local: Downtown is a bit of a tourist trap if we're being honest. Ripley's and the Guinness Museum are kind of a joke; I haven't been to the wax museum but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a letdown as well. The Riverwalk is fun enough if you're out for drinks with friends but do not mistake it for someplace to go for local favorites. If you're a person who's interested in history and culture there's of course the Alamo, but a short Uber ride will get you to the McNay or Witte museums or the Mission District. And Darkdonut is right, the Buckhorn is really cool.

edited January 2019
    Yeah. I will walk the riverwalk when I first get there. Maybe do Buckhorn. I think it closes early.

Krathoon on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am a big fan of Buckhorn, but for their staff and the bar primarily. They do close earlier than most bars.

edited January 2019
    The wax museum has a cool horror section.

Last time I was there, I liked Ripley's and the wax museum. The Mirror Maze was ok. I even ran through it a second time with the prism glasses.

Krathoon on
  • japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Wickersham is dead on. Tourists are lured downtown by the Alamo, and the various attractions you listed are set up across the street (mixed in with junk souvenir shops). The Alamo has disappointed basically everyone I've taken there since it is tiny and right in the city. I've often had people ask me where the rest of it is. No joke. That's the impression it gives. So people wander outside and see the gaudy touristy stuff, which is all low-rent and unimpressive. The McNay and Witte are indeed fine museums, though I don't imagine many PAX goers will be lured out by them. The Buckhorn is definitely something unique, though I did take some PAX pals there two years ago and they had strong aversion to the place. I've worked as a cowboy (real one, not at an attraction, LOL), so being surrounded by that many dead animals doesn't bother me. But animal-lovers may be creeped/grossed out by it. Everyone says to see the Riverwalk, and while it is fun, it's basically shops on the water. A nice stroll in warm, dry weather, but you may not enjoy it while it is raining and cold. Luckily, there are tons of fun bars all along it where you can take shelter. One of my favorite places to relax and enjoy the view is the Q Bar in the Hyatt Regency. I haven't been there when it is packed, but if the crowds are light then that's where I take visitors so we can chat and chill. Like I mentioned in another thread, if they are still showing "The Saga" on the San Fernando Cathedral each night then that is my #1 recommendation. There are plenty of YouTube vids, but I say go and be surprised. It's a short walk, free, and only about 15 minutes long. I can't confirm 100% that they are still showing it, but it's been continuous for several years now.

edited January 2019
    I do plan to go to the Hyatt since the river runs underneath it.

It is supposed to be in the 70s on Thurs. And Fri.

It then drops to the 60s.

Krathoon on
    Krathoon wrote: »

Pro-Tip: On the Riverwalk, always use the full name of the hotel. There are several chains clustered very close together, with some duplicates. Such as the Hyatt Regency and the Hyatt Place, both of which are on the Riverwalk and close by. Over the years I've seen people get confused and meet at the wrong hotels.

japester wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Pro-Tip: On the Riverwalk, always use the full name of the hotel. There are several chains clustered very close together, with some duplicates. Such as the Hyatt Regency and the Hyatt Place, both of which are on the Riverwalk and close by. Over the years I've seen people get confused and meet at the wrong hotels.

I think the Regency is the one with the river under it.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Pro-Tip: The Riverwalk is exempt from open container laws.

row1.pngrow2.png
    We need a Pro-Tip thread.

Source? I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking around with drinks in hand before.

I enjoyed going to the Alamo, and didn't feel disappointed, but it's not something I need to go through more than once.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Source? I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking around with drinks in hand before.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Parks-Facilities/Park-Safety-Rules#153741574-district-1
    I enjoyed going to the Alamo, and didn't feel disappointed, but it's not something I need to go through more than once.

That was my same impression, I went the first year of PAX south and I haven't been back.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    I'm not much of a drinker, so I've never felt the need to test it. And aside from the government site above, you'll find all kinds of conflicting anecdotal info from just about everywhere else. The most common one says open container is okay, but only in plastic. My understanding is that the Riverwalk itself is unrestricted, as long as you aren't breaking any other laws or acting intoxicated. Where people get tripped up is going topside. If you climb up to the city streets, you are no longer technically "on the Riverwalk", so different laws apply. Several nearby street-level areas are named on that site (such as La Villita and HemisFair Park) and have relaxed laws, but the streets connecting them do not AFAIK. SAPD are cool. When in doubt, ask one.

Yeah, but you are also content with PAX South's level of programming and industry presence, so..... :D
    Kidding aside, you didn't come for the Alamo. You walked five minutes and saw it as a brief diversion. Tourists who come here primarily for stuff like that are underwhelmed. Visiting friends always want to go, so I take them. For sixteen years now. Zero found it impressive. History buffs should definitely go, but I've learned if you dial back your expectations it is more enjoyable.

The rest of the Alamo is across the street. Just some of the foundation is left.