Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Humble Car thread! I've been living twenty miles outside of the city for the last three years and combined with our Minnesota winters it has finally come to me that I should retire my 2009 Toyota Matrix in favor of something with AWD or 4WD. Last night we got six inches of snow and nothing was plowed and my poor little hatchback barely made it up the hill to my house. I almost backslid into the person behind me.

I'm thinking of a pickup truck because in addition to my rural lifestyle and climate, I've also been doing a lot of woodworking and lawn maintenance - hauling shit around is definitely becoming a part of my daily life.

Any suggestions on good pickup trucks? I do not need these monsters like the Ford Raptor and I don't intend to haul Mt. Kilimanjaro anytime soon. I do have a kid, so a crew cab would be preferable. Any brands to avoid? Any brands that are good?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Ford Ranger has been brought back and I’m awfully tempted by it myself.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It'll be pretty dang unpopular to suggest here but an f150 is a best seller for a reason.
    That said, I have driven in my father in laws Chevy colorado crew cab and it's amazingly comfortable and capable.

When my 05 f150 dies I'm gonna get a newer one though, love it.
    Unless electric pickups become a thing and I'll get one of those things.

edit: I do a fair bit of woodworking, and recently renos, a pickup is a lifesaver.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Humble Car thread! I've been living twenty miles outside of the city for the last three years and combined with our Minnesota winters it has finally come to me that I should retire my 2009 Toyota Matrix in favor of something with AWD or 4WD. Last night we got six inches of snow and nothing was plowed and my poor little hatchback barely made it up the hill to my house. I almost backslid into the person behind me.

I'm thinking of a pickup truck because in addition to my rural lifestyle and climate, I've also been doing a lot of woodworking and lawn maintenance - hauling shit around is definitely becoming a part of my daily life.

Any suggestions on good pickup trucks? I do not need these monsters like the Ford Raptor and I don't intend to haul Mt. Kilimanjaro anytime soon. I do have a kid, so a crew cab would be preferable. Any brands to avoid? Any brands that are good?

Honestly, unless you're planning on a boat buy or doing some crazy hauling, a CUV or minivan with a hitch/utility trailer are going to be much better and cheaper.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Honestly, unless you're planning on a boat buy or doing some crazy hauling, a CUV or minivan with a hitch/utility trailer are going to be much better and cheaper.

I've considered that, and it's storage of said trailer that's an issue. My out building is a woodshop and lawn gear thing. Our garage is cars and storage. I didn't want to have to build another building to store a trailer.

I've seen those Harbor Freight ones that fold up vertically that might work.

I didn't think a minivan or SUV would cut it because you wouldn't believe the amount of interior damage that's sustained hauling lumber around. Also that really limits th r length of boards you can haul. You should see my poor Matrix interior, so many scratches and dings from lumber.

• Options

Could you explain what's th r major differences between a Ranger and F150? They both just look like trucks?

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

I drive a 2015 (current generation) Chevrolet Colorado, and I freaking love it. It's been very reliable, it's comfortable, has all the truck capabilities a regular rural person would need (tows 6500 lbs, I think 1500 lb bed capacity), without the ridiculous size and over-capability of an F150 or Silverado (you probably don't need to tow 10000 lbs unless you're actually a rancher or construction worker). It has a comfortable amount of interior space, although it will seem small if you compare it side by side with the bigger trucks. The gas mileage is great; on one leg of a road trip a couple years ago, I averaged just under 25 mpg, and that's from doing the math at a fill up, not relying on the truck's computer.

The Colorado is an all-around excellent truck without being excessive like the bigger options.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Could you explain what's th r major differences between a Ranger and F150? They both just look like trucks?

Traditionally size is the major difference. The Ranger being being a small truck to the F-150's full size.

• Options

I've considered that, and it's storage of said trailer that's an issue. My out building is a woodshop and lawn gear thing. Our garage is cars and storage. I didn't want to have to build another building to store a trailer.

I didn't think a minivan or SUV would cut it because you wouldn't believe the amount of interior damage that's sustained hauling lumber around. Also that really limits th r length of boards you can haul. You should see my poor Matrix interior, so many scratches and dings from lumber.

In that case truck is fine. I'd go F150 with the big cab. They're plentiful and reliable.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Size, engine/towing capacity

2019 ranger
    Dimensions: 211″ L x 73″ W x 71″ H
    Wheelbase: 127"
    Curb weight: 4,145 to 4,441 lbs
    Engine: I4

2019 f150 (various cab sizes and box lengths)
    Dimensions: 209-251″ L x 80″ W x 76″ H
    Wheelbase: 122-163"
    Curb weight: 4,069 to 5,424 lbs
    Engine: V6, V8, V6 diesel

Full size trucks are goddamn enormous these days.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Is the Nissan Navara (NP300) available there? Out of all the utes (Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Nissan Navara, Isuzu (Chevy) D-Max, Holden (Chevy) Colorado, Mazda BT-50, Foton Tunland, Great Wall V240, Mitsubishi Triton, etc.) I'd take one of those first and foremost - Mercedes gave Nissan a hundred million dollars or so to make significant improvements to the engineering and construction of the new model Navara so they could lightly restyle it and call it a Mercedes Benz X-Class. Nissan are still selling it as a commercial ute though, so it's still tough as old nails, just now the doors close with a nice solid thunk and the interior doesn't warp and fade, and the NVH levels are in a class above every other ute (even the Amarok, my previous favourite), a couple of classes above a lot of the cheaper shittier choices. You'd be getting a slightly less swanky version of a Mercedes for Niossan prices, essentially. Plus I like that coil sprung rear axle, so much nicer than leaf sprung.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Is the Nissan Navara (NP300) available there? Out of all the utes (Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Nissan Navara, Isuzu (Chevy) D-Max, Holden (Chevy) Colorado, Mazda BT-50, Foton Tunland, Great Wall V240, Mitsubishi Triton, etc.) I'd take one of those first and foremost - Mercedes gave Nissan a hundred million dollars or so to make significant improvements to the engineering and construction of the new model Navara so they could lightly restyle it and call it a Mercedes Benz X-Class. Nissan are still selling it as a commercial ute though, so it's still tough as old nails, just now the doors close with a nice solid thunk and the interior doesn't warp and fade, and the NVH levels are in a class above every other ute (even the Amarok, my previous favourite), a couple of classes above a lot of the cheaper shittier choices. You'd be getting a slightly less swanky version of a Mercedes for Niossan prices, essentially. Plus I like that coil sprung rear axle, so much nicer than leaf sprung.

It's called the Frontier here and it's supposed to get a major refresh here in the US next year I believe, to bring it up with the rest of the world. for a used rig though the current Frontier is still excellent. I just wouldn't buy a new one until that refresh is confirmed. I actually should look at one too, I keep forgetting about it. Also the Xterra is a super capable SUV if that's more your bag, also one of the cooler looking ones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Size, engine/towing capacity

2019 ranger
    Dimensions: 211″ L x 73″ W x 71″ H
    Wheelbase: 127"
    Curb weight: 4,145 to 4,441 lbs
    Engine: I4

2019 f150 (various cab sizes and box lengths)
    Dimensions: 209-251″ L x 80″ W x 76″ H
    Wheelbase: 122-163"
    Curb weight: 4,069 to 5,424 lbs
    Engine: V6, V8, V6 diesel

Full size trucks are goddamn enormous these days.

Yes.

My 16 Ram Quad Cab is 229"L x 79"W (with the tow mirrors in!) and 79" H. It also weighs about 5,400lbs with wet with me in it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options

Not to be a complete knob, but what is a "ute"?
    A nd from the guy below me in looking for a Nissan Frontier 2019?

• Options
    Just as a description of where I am at. If I had access to a Toyota Hilux in Minnesota, USA, I would buy it based on Top Gear alone.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I hate that there isn't really a truck the size of my old tacoma. I want a small truck.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    i would totally get a ute if they actually sold them in the US. They seem like they'd be tits for camping and hauling random stuff.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

It's short for Utility vehicle, and is very much as Australian thing (As far as I know, I've never heard the term used anywhere else). I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with truck, I don't think so, because the first time I ever heard of a vehicle called a ute, it was a Holden that reminded me very much of the old El Camino and El Dorado. Does it just mean a vehicle with a box?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

c6f6f3v2bk5d.jpg

• Options

c6f6f3v2bk5d.jpg

Shut it down. @Cardboard Tube give this guy a medal.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

c6f6f3v2bk5d.jpg

Shut it down. "Cardboard Tube" give this guy a medal.

@MegaMan001, Just FYI, but I believe Tube is not a fan of getting @'d like this. He has to monitor all his mentions in case something serious is going down, and being forced to check the forums to see a joke post is not what anyone wants.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That's also not tube.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »

It's short for Utility vehicle, and is very much as Australian thing (As far as I know, I've never heard the term used anywhere else). I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with truck, I don't think so, because the first time I ever heard of a vehicle called a ute, it was a Holden that reminded me very much of the old El Camino and El Dorado. Does it just mean a vehicle with a box?

Muscle car in the front, pickup truck in the back. More or less. At least that's how I think of the vaguely modern ute. The El Camino is not a bad comparison.

I found this rather spiffy Imgur gallery of utes: https://imgur.com/a/IllGt

I didn't know before looking at that that there was a 1970s Ford XB Falcon ute and now I need a bit of a lie down.

Jazz on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, a ute is basically anything with a tray or well-body on the back, so it covers everything from the Hilux to the HSV Maloo.

If you want to borrow it when you're moving house, it's probably a ute.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    To join the chorus I'm really considering a Ford Ranger. I like the utility of pickups but I live in an urban areas, so the smaller form factor is kind of a big deal. I often go camping/fishing and spend a decent amount of time on dirt roads.

I mean it'll be a bit, as I got a decent deal on paying off a large chunk of college loans in 2 years for a nearly uncomfortable amount of money, but man they look really nice.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm actually surprised electric trucks aren't yet a thing. From a pure utility standpoint, the high low-end torque of an electric motor would be great.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised electric trucks aren't yet a thing. From a pure utility standpoint, the high low-end torque of an electric motor would be great.

Ford has announced an all-electric F-150, and there are a couple other manufacturers that have also announced electric trucks. Initial reports are they're going to be extremely pricey though -- I've got to believe it's going to take a lot of KWhs to move the truck itself, not to mention any load that's being hauled.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There's a couple challenges specific to electric pickups. While most people can get around with a electric car with a range of 50 miles or so, pickups are expected to do more long haul duties. For my parents, it used to be towing a camper out to Yellowstone. Now they tow a boat 2 hours each way to a lake. For me, it's throwing dirt bikes in the back and driving 3 hours to a trail head.

Keep in mind that typical towing fuel economy is something like 10-15 mpg highway (and can easily dip lower.) Doing some back of the envelope math, a Chevy Bolt gets 119 MPGe, roughly 3 times what a similar car would get. If we extrapolated from that, a truck towing might get 45 MPGe with a light trailer. At 33.7 kWh per gallon, this translates to about 1.34 miles per kWh. If you need a 300 mile range while towing, that's a 223 kWh battery pack.

For reference, the Tesla Model S P100D - the ludicrous speed one - has a 100 kWh battery pack. A truck needs one twice that capacity to match a gasoline truck today.

Edit: fixed a math goof

mRahmani on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    There's a couple challenges specific to electric pickups. While most people can get around with a electric car with a range of 50 miles or so, pickups are expected to do more long haul duties. For my parents, it used to be towing a camper out to Yellowstone. Now they tow a boat 2 hours each way to a lake. For me, it's throwing dirt bikes in the back and driving 3 hours to a trail head.

Keep in mind that typical towing fuel economy is something like 10-15 mpg highway (and can easily dip lower.) Doing some back of the envelope math, a Chevy Bolt gets 119 MPGe, roughly 3 times what a similar car would get. If we extrapolated from that, a truck towing might get 45 MPGe with a light trailer. At 33.7 kWh per gallon, this translates to about 1.34 miles per kWh. If you need a 300 mile range while towing, that's a 223 kWh battery pack.

For reference, the Tesla Model S P100D - the ludicrous speed one - has a 100 kWh battery pack. A truck needs one twice that capacity to match a gasoline truck today.

Edit: fixed a math goof

You also have a much larger platform for batter packs than a Tesla. The bigger problem is the cost of batteries, which is a big problem with electric vehicles in general.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Seems a hybrid solution could work, and at the least would help with towing gas mileage.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

In that case truck is fine. I'd go F150 with the big cab. They're plentiful and reliable.

This is anecdotal, but when I had to have my car towed I asked the driver what he sees the most of, and he said by far he towed more F150s than anything else.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

This is anecdotal, but when I had to have my car towed I asked the driver what he sees the most of, and he said by far he towed more F150s than anything else.

In fairness, there are far more F150s than anything else.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Likely because there's tens of millions of them :)

That said, there are a lot of great jokes like

Found On Road Dead
    Fix Or Repair Daily

I would say if you don't buy new you MUST take it to a trusted mechanic before you buy.

• Options
    At least you'll always be able to find bits for them until the heat death of the universe.

• Options
    If Ford makes an f-150 with 10k towing and 1500lbs payload and at least 400km range I'll be there day one money in hand.

I could then ditch my current v8 and 4 runner and get off gas forever.

I am excite!

• Options
    For trucks electric makes more sense as an assist mechanism to start or for hill assist on towing + Regen braking benefits. Full electric is a ways down the road with better battery tech.

• Options
    For trucks electric makes more sense as an assist mechanism to start or for hill assist on towing + Regen braking benefits. Full electric is a ways down the road with better battery tech.

Even with the underside of a 10 foot+ chassis for battery? Seems like there is a shitload more space for battery capacity in a truck chassis than a passenger car.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Even with the underside of a 10 foot+ chassis for battery? Seems like there is a shitload more space for battery capacity in a truck chassis than a passenger car.

It's more the weight.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Then you run in to the old rocket science issue of needing more power to move the vehicle due to the weight of the fuel that's supplying the power.

• Options
    We'll have to see if Rivian's claims are correct then as they seem to have made something that is capable of 11,000lbs towing and 400+ miles (presumably unloaded).
    If I can get 250+ Kilometers with a 7-8000lb boat it'd serve my purposes.

The bed length was what killed my interest in the Rivian pickup.