Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    We'll have to see if Rivian's claims are correct then as they seem to have made something that is capable of 11,000lbs towing and 400+ miles (presumably unloaded).
    If I can get 250+ Kilometers with a 7-8000lb boat it'd serve my purposes.

The bed length was what killed my interest in the Rivian pickup.

Isn't the Rivian pickup also supposed to be $70,000+ (and that's the price for the base model with only 200 mile range)?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    We'll have to see if Rivian's claims are correct then as they seem to have made something that is capable of 11,000lbs towing and 400+ miles (presumably unloaded).
    If I can get 250+ Kilometers with a 7-8000lb boat it'd serve my purposes.

The bed length was what killed my interest in the Rivian pickup.

Isn't the Rivian pickup also supposed to be $70,000+ (and that's the price for the base model with only 200 mile range)?

Yeah it's expensive though I'd imagine Chevy, Ford, etc. will be able to get to a more mass market price. That said, $70,000 is the price of some luxury F-150's so it's not a crazy number in this space.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Humble Car thread! I've been living twenty miles outside of the city for the last three years and combined with our Minnesota winters it has finally come to me that I should retire my 2009 Toyota Matrix in favor of something with AWD or 4WD. Last night we got six inches of snow and nothing was plowed and my poor little hatchback barely made it up the hill to my house. I almost backslid into the person behind me.

I'm thinking of a pickup truck because in addition to my rural lifestyle and climate, I've also been doing a lot of woodworking and lawn maintenance - hauling shit around is definitely becoming a part of my daily life.

Any suggestions on good pickup trucks? I do not need these monsters like the Ford Raptor and I don't intend to haul Mt. Kilimanjaro anytime soon. I do have a kid, so a crew cab would be preferable. Any brands to avoid? Any brands that are good?

Honestly, unless you're planning on a boat buy or doing some crazy hauling, a CUV or minivan with a hitch/utility trailer are going to be much better and cheaper.

I've considered that, and it's storage of said trailer that's an issue. My out building is a woodshop and lawn gear thing. Our garage is cars and storage. I didn't want to have to build another building to store a trailer.

I've seen those Harbor Freight ones that fold up vertically that might work.

I didn't think a minivan or SUV would cut it because you wouldn't believe the amount of interior damage that's sustained hauling lumber around. Also that really limits th r length of boards you can haul. You should see my poor Matrix interior, so many scratches and dings from lumber.

In that case truck is fine. I'd go F150 with the big cab. They're plentiful and reliable.

This is anecdotal, but when I had to have my car towed I asked the driver what he sees the most of, and he said by far he towed more F150s than anything else.

In fairness, there are far more F150s than anything else.

The guy also said the people he towed were mostly people who buy a light duty truck and then try to use it as a heavy duty truck, and end up killing the transmission.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Humble Car thread! I've been living twenty miles outside of the city for the last three years and combined with our Minnesota winters it has finally come to me that I should retire my 2009 Toyota Matrix in favor of something with AWD or 4WD. Last night we got six inches of snow and nothing was plowed and my poor little hatchback barely made it up the hill to my house. I almost backslid into the person behind me.

I'm thinking of a pickup truck because in addition to my rural lifestyle and climate, I've also been doing a lot of woodworking and lawn maintenance - hauling shit around is definitely becoming a part of my daily life.

Any suggestions on good pickup trucks? I do not need these monsters like the Ford Raptor and I don't intend to haul Mt. Kilimanjaro anytime soon. I do have a kid, so a crew cab would be preferable. Any brands to avoid? Any brands that are good?

Honestly, unless you're planning on a boat buy or doing some crazy hauling, a CUV or minivan with a hitch/utility trailer are going to be much better and cheaper.

I've considered that, and it's storage of said trailer that's an issue. My out building is a woodshop and lawn gear thing. Our garage is cars and storage. I didn't want to have to build another building to store a trailer.

I didn't think a minivan or SUV would cut it because you wouldn't believe the amount of interior damage that's sustained hauling lumber around. Also that really limits th r length of boards you can haul. You should see my poor Matrix interior, so many scratches and dings from lumber.

In that case truck is fine. I'd go F150 with the big cab. They're plentiful and reliable.

This is anecdotal, but when I had to have my car towed I asked the driver what he sees the most of, and he said by far he towed more F150s than anything else.

The guy also said the people he towed were mostly people who buy a light duty truck and then try to use it as a heavy duty truck, and end up killing the transmission.

I wouldn't doubt that for a second :)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I wonder how much overlap in a Venn diagram that circle and a circle of "People who think 4 wheel drive helps on ice" would have.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

I wonder how much overlap in a Venn diagram that circle and a circle of "People who think 4 wheel drive helps on ice" would have.

It does... but not when steering or stopping lol.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My wife's 2014 Honda Odyssey is cranking/turning over but won't start. I replaced the battery for good measure since it was 3-ish years old, but that didn't do anything. Alternator is fine. No ECU fault codes that I could pull.

Is this an exhaustive list of things it could be?
    • fuel pump / fuel rail
    • fuel injectors (I'm assuming if one of these is bad it would run rough instead of just not starting?)
    • This has individual coils per spark plug so it is 6 coils. So if one coil is failing again it would probably start but run rough? So that would be a computer problem if there was no spark at any of them?
    • MAF sensor maaayyybe but that usually throws a CEL and fault code?
    • crank sensor or camshaft position sensor?
    • misaligned timing belt?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My wife's 2014 Honda Odyssey is cranking/turning over but won't start. I replaced the battery for good measure since it was 3-ish years old, but that didn't do anything. Alternator is fine. No ECU fault codes that I could pull.

• fuel pump / fuel rail
    • fuel injectors (I'm assuming if one of these is bad it would run rough instead of just not starting?)
    • This has individual coils per spark plug so it is 6 coils. So if one coil is failing again it would probably start but run rough? So that would be a computer problem if there was no spark at any of them?
    • MAF sensor maaayyybe but that usually throws a CEL and fault code?
    • crank sensor or camshaft position sensor?
    • misaligned timing belt?

My first avenue would be investigating the fuel pump. have someone sit in the back of the van and turn the van on accessory (don't crank it) the person in the back should hear a click as the fuel pump turns on and pressurizes the system. If you don't hear the click and pressurizing then check the fuse, and if it is good check out a fuel rail pressure gauge from a local auto parts store and youtube how to hook it up, and follow those instructions to see if your system is pressurized.

Also check the grounding wire from the engine to the frame. never hurts.

I'm surprised it's not throwing a code. Was it running fine before this problem manifested?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    There were no obvious problems leading up to this. It just wouldn't start yesterday morning.

CommunistCow on
  • Options

Sounds like you got electricity and it's super unlikely to have all spark plugs go so my guess is fuel delivery.

Get some carb medic and spray it into to the throttle body while cranking and see if she flashes.

Or do the the fuel line stuff. I prefer the redneck methods usually.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If Ford makes an f-150 with 10k towing and 1500lbs payload and at least 400km range I'll be there day one money in hand.

I could then ditch my current v8 and 4 runner and get off gas forever.

I am excite!

They do. It's called the F-250.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

• fuel pump / fuel rail Very possible, I like the intake cleaner or "diesel starting fluid (ether)" down the throttle personally to confirm this, but you can also test for fuel pressure at the rail.
    • fuel injectors (I'm assuming if one of these is bad it would run rough instead of just not starting?) You're correct, very unlikely to go from running fine to not running at all
    • This has individual coils per spark plug so it is 6 coils. So if one coil is failing again it would probably start but run rough? So that would be a computer problem if there was no spark at any of them? You're correct, very unlikely to go from running fine to not running at all
    • MAF sensor maaayyybe but that usually throws a CEL and fault code? Unlikely, as the vehicle isn't relying on MAF sensor data to start the vehicle, just to run it typically
    • crank sensor or camshaft position sensor? Maybe, but there should DEFINITELY be a cam/crank correlation code being set in this case
    • misaligned timing belt? Or broken timing belt, how many miles on the vehicle? Usually if this is the case though, you can hear a lack of compression as the valves are out of time. Youtube should be able to help here, with some examples of an engine cranking out of time or with a broken belt.

Bottom line is, crank but no-fire is a lack of spark or fuel USUALLY. Best way to identify which is Aridhol's recommendation, spray a little carb mechanic (intake cleaner, diesel starter fluid, ether, etc) and see if the engine picks up a little (engine cranking speed picks up, or vehicle may even start/run for a few moments/seconds). If it does, then the spark is using the aerosol as a new fuel source and ignites it! If it makes no difference to the cranking, it may be a lack of spark or compression that's your problem, and there's not a lot of good ways to easily isolate the problem. Start with the fuel and report back if you can.

(I'm a shop owner and licensed mechanic in Canada, we deal with a lot of no-start concerns this time of year)

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Do a tune-up. Replace the plugs, wires, maybe the rotor & cap and/or coil if they were still using it then.
    I had the same problem on my 1997 Civic, and the coil went bad on it. Which I found out after I replaced all the other parts of the ignition system.
    I sprayed starter fluid into the intake, and it was no bueno.

• Options
    Disclaimer: this does not feel good if you fuck it up

You could also check for spark by pulling a plug and grounding it on the block and check for the spark itself. You'll need to make it darker around the area since they're sometimes hard to see but this will tell you that you're probably good from the key to the plug.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Or just hold onto the spark and have your friend turn the ignition.
    That was another thing I did when seeing if I had an ignition problem.

don't really do this I shouldn't have to include this disclaimer

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Is the Nissan Navara (NP300) available there? Out of all the utes (Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Nissan Navara, Isuzu (Chevy) D-Max, Holden (Chevy) Colorado, Mazda BT-50, Foton Tunland, Great Wall V240, Mitsubishi Triton, etc.) I'd take one of those first and foremost - Mercedes gave Nissan a hundred million dollars or so to make significant improvements to the engineering and construction of the new model Navara so they could lightly restyle it and call it a Mercedes Benz X-Class. Nissan are still selling it as a commercial ute though, so it's still tough as old nails, just now the doors close with a nice solid thunk and the interior doesn't warp and fade, and the NVH levels are in a class above every other ute (even the Amarok, my previous favourite), a couple of classes above a lot of the cheaper shittier choices. You'd be getting a slightly less swanky version of a Mercedes for Niossan prices, essentially. Plus I like that coil sprung rear axle, so much nicer than leaf sprung.

It's called the Frontier here and it's supposed to get a major refresh here in the US next year I believe, to bring it up with the rest of the world. for a used rig though the current Frontier is still excellent. I just wouldn't buy a new one until that refresh is confirmed. I actually should look at one too, I keep forgetting about it. Also the Xterra is a super capable SUV if that's more your bag, also one of the cooler looking ones.

Is the refreshed version the 2019? Or would I wait until the 2020?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Or just hold onto the spark and have your friend turn the ignition.
    That was another thing I did when seeing if I had an ignition problem.

don't really do this I shouldn't have to include this disclaimer

See, you're doing it wrong. You make your friend hold the spark plug and you turn the ignition.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    In the process of troubleshooting the car it just decided it would start up without me changing any parts. It continues to start every time.
    ಠ_ಠ

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Gremlins

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    More than the Model 3, I think the ID Neo is going to be the first EV to be a real hit with the mainstream. It's got everything that the vast majority of drivers are looking for. It's got a base range of ~200 real world miles and supports fast charging at 125kW. It’ll take roughly 30 minutes for an 80% charge. The extended range model will go an estimated 340 miles.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/2020-volkswagen-d-neo-ev-looks-range-everything-else-know/

The ID line comes with an innovative new mobile charging system It's basically a 360kwh battery pack that can charge up to 4 cars at once. They are easily transported to large parking areas that might lack EV charging facilities for events. They could be easily brought to highway exits as a quick and easy way of adding charging facilities. The eventual goal is to charge these mega packs with excess renewable energy (that might otherwise go wasted due to lack of demand) at a centralized facility. As the supply of retired EV cells increases they will be reconditioned and given second lives in these battery packs, lowering the cost and increasing production.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »

Is the Nissan Navara (NP300) available there? Out of all the utes (Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Nissan Navara, Isuzu (Chevy) D-Max, Holden (Chevy) Colorado, Mazda BT-50, Foton Tunland, Great Wall V240, Mitsubishi Triton, etc.) I'd take one of those first and foremost - Mercedes gave Nissan a hundred million dollars or so to make significant improvements to the engineering and construction of the new model Navara so they could lightly restyle it and call it a Mercedes Benz X-Class. Nissan are still selling it as a commercial ute though, so it's still tough as old nails, just now the doors close with a nice solid thunk and the interior doesn't warp and fade, and the NVH levels are in a class above every other ute (even the Amarok, my previous favourite), a couple of classes above a lot of the cheaper shittier choices. You'd be getting a slightly less swanky version of a Mercedes for Niossan prices, essentially. Plus I like that coil sprung rear axle, so much nicer than leaf sprung.

It's called the Frontier here and it's supposed to get a major refresh here in the US next year I believe, to bring it up with the rest of the world. for a used rig though the current Frontier is still excellent. I just wouldn't buy a new one until that refresh is confirmed. I actually should look at one too, I keep forgetting about it. Also the Xterra is a super capable SUV if that's more your bag, also one of the cooler looking ones.

Is the refreshed version the 2019? Or would I wait until the 2020?

From a quick bit of research it looks like it will be for the 2020 per this article.

Honestly I'd wait for the refresh to come out and pick up a mid to low teens truck with low miles at a discount. It might not be as fancy as the new one, but there will be parts for decades.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I went to a dealer last night. And I had a PLAN!

And then that plan got all flip flopped around and I'm a bit confused now.

Last year when I talked to them they told me from the point of order it's usually about two months to get a GT-R. I had my specs all planned and last night was the night to place that order. But then they say when I get there they can have on in a few days for whatever I order... SO I was like OK well then I need to wait a few weeks because I'm not quite ready and my friend buying my car will need to plan for this. So now the plan is first week of March, so that's kinda cool because that's still a bit sooner.

Now for the bad and puzzling bit: The color I was set on is no longer available for the Pure model in 2019. Fuck. Fuckfuck. They say they can try to find a 2018 that is left somewhere in that color so I have to hope for that I guess? It's offered on the Premium model which is $10k more and besides the color is just features I actively do not want or don't care too much about.

Exhaust - I'll be getting a new exhaust so this is paying for nothing
    Sound cancelling - I do not want that and would never use it
    Better sound system - not bad but not something I would go out of the way to pay for

So that would be a bunch of money for the color... but the color is so nice.

And if I went with the colors for the Pure model I'd definitely end up just wrapping it at some point. So one positive there is that I could make it my favorite car color, deep purple. Downside is that's another thing to pay for and delays performance related spending and GAHHH.

So basically if they can't find a 2018 in Blue somewhere... what should I do? I wasn't expecting to have to make any decisions because my mind has been so set on this for so long.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Throw caution to the wind and just go for the track edition. :D

Personally I wouldn't pay an extra 10k for a color especially if it isn't your favorite color. Then again I wouldn't spend 100k on a car so may opinion is probably skewed a bit.

So either wait and hope for a 2018 in the color you want or maybe look up the cost of getting it repainted and see how much that is?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Throw caution to the wind and just go for the track edition. :D

Personally I wouldn't pay an extra 10k for a color especially if it isn't your favorite color. Then again I wouldn't spend 100k on a car so may opinion is probably skewed a bit.

So either wait and hope for a 2018 in the color you want or maybe look up the cost of getting it repainted and see how much that is?

Yea, also looking further into it the blue in 2019 is ONLY on the premium and ONLY if you buy a special interior package that would add another $4k to the price tag... so nah.

So I think the goal is hope for a 2018, otherwise I'll go with the Gun Metal and wrap it in purple later down the line. At first I was thinking black but after looking at some pictures I sorta felt like it hid too many of the cool angles and the dark colored aero bits. And when I showed my GF some pics she actually noticed the same thing without me mentioning it.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    To get the blue Q60 that I wanted was another $10k as well. I ended up getting the red, and it's gorgeous in red, so going with your second choice may be preferable once you actually have it anyway.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    To get the blue Q60 that I wanted was another $10k as well. I ended up getting the red, and it's gorgeous in red, so going with your second choice may be preferable once you actually have it anyway.

Well the gun metal isn't exactly second choice either. More of an unexpected I have to pick the color I am most OK with until I can wrap it sort of thing. The red does look real nice too actually and I'd think about that if it were an option but that would also only be on the Premium and up so mrehhh.

Your car does look real nice in that red btw.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Got some swag for my "new" car. I know there are some LOL Buick folk out there, but this without a doubt the nicest car I've ever owned. It might, one day, take the number one in my heart car slot held by my old 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country.

lzjib6k2oq9o.jpg

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Okay, where’d you get that plate?

• Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Got some swag for my "new" car. I know there are some LOL Buick folk out there, but this without a doubt the nicest car I've ever owned. It might, one day, take the number one in my heart car slot held by my old 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country.

That's cool, it always seems to baffle people when I say my favorite car I've ever had, or even ever driven, was my 1995 Trans Am. Even if my XF is (objectively) the nicest. Cars do funny things to us.

Nice plate, btw :)

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    I'm envious that you live in a place that doesn't require a front plate.

• Options
    I'm envious that you live in a place that doesn't require a front plate.

After getting pulled over enough times for not having a front plate I've settled on tow hook plates with a lightly tinted cover to dull the bright yellow of our plates.

It's not as clean as no plate but it is much better than a glowing yellow rectangle dead center on the front of the car just murdering the lines.

• Options
    Eeesh. New York? Murdering the lines is exactly right. Your poor GTR will be debased.

• Options
    Eeesh. New York? Murdering the lines is exactly right. Your poor GTR will be debased.

NJ actually!

NY is a little more orange than ours.

But either way... they don't exactly blend in with most darker colors.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    When I lived in Utah, they required a front plate but apparently didn't enforce it much. I'd see vehicles without them quite often but only once or twice ever heard of someone getting ticketed for it. I had two cars, daily drivers, for a span of about three years without them (they didn't have brackets on then when I got them and both were pretty old, a '92 Miata and an '89 Firebird, that had lived their whole lives up to that point without front plates) and had no problems, but I kept the front plate in the trunk just in case. I think the generally accepted rule was, if there was already somewhere for them to go on the car, they should be there, but if not, no worries.

My '95 Trans Am had a bracket on it already when I got it so I put the front plate on it, since repairing the holes already drilled into the bumper seemed like an overly expensive fool's errand. But also I had a vanity plate so I didn't mind showing it off :)

Here in the UK it's front and rear, no exceptions, for cars at least. (Except the Queen; she doesn't need a plate.) But you usually don't need to change them; plates are assigned to the car, not the owner, so a car will usually stay on one plate for its entire life. Vanity plates are a thing but they're expensive (sometimes very much so) and very limited in what they can say.

Jazz on
  • Options
    If it's available in my state I'm thinking of getting one that says KAIJU or KA1JU since it only costs $50 here and then it's yours for as long as you want.

• Options
    Neither Alberta nor the Northwest Territories require front plates, and the Q60 doesn't have a place for one, but the dealer can install a mount if you need one.

It completely wrecks the look of the front of that car and I'm just happy I don't have to have one.

• Options
    They're not really ticketed in the areas I've lived in Texas, BUT it does give the police probable cause to pull you over and ticket you for the missing plate and whatever else they feel like. That alone is reason for me to keep my front plate on.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    They're not really ticketed in the areas I've lived in Texas, BUT it does give the police probable cause to pull you over and ticket you for the missing plate and whatever else they feel like. That alone is reason for me to keep my front plate on.

This.

Also, texas has pretty okay white on black throwback tags, which mostly look ok if you are stupid and buy a black car in texas.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I didn't really want to risk it, but there was bird shit on the car that I couldn't get off, so I had to wash my car today.

It turned out okay - the car wash that's open in the winter charges for time in the stall, not for use of the hoses, so I was able to hand dry it and let it sit for a bit. Still ended up with ice in the exterior buttons and stuff. Anyway, not ideal. But I noticed something rather cool:

After rinsing the car in hot water, and then scrubbing with the brush with more hot water, the wheels were cold enough to still look like this:
    50791561_10157841256729796_4538091148220039168_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.fna&oh=b85df86ea3120f6967bb30a24d7b2035&oe=5CBD03F3