Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Oh good, thought we might get an interesting team in the Super Bowl there for a minute.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Should have just watched the eclipse

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    For the sake of my sanity, for the next two weeks I'm going to pretend that the Rams are still in St.Louis.

Go Rams

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tom, don’t swear on TV

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Infuriating.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Welp, hopefully the Pro Bowl will be interesting.

NFL is trash.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the Pats being in the SB yet again. But I do hope Belichick reveals to the world/nfl how to completely shut down McVay's "genius offensive mind".

• Options
    Remember when Tom Brady threw an interception in the last minute of the fourth quarter before it was brought back on an offisde?

That was a fun 3 seconds. I was happy then

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is lightly brushing someone considered roughing? New to football.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    And that's why anyone calling the Patriots "underdogs" can go sit on a spool of razor wire

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Only if you touch golden boy.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    I still say, barring a defensive score, both teams should get to receive a kickoff in OT.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And so begins the worst two weeks of footbaw...

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Remember when Tom Brady threw an interception in the last minute of the fourth quarter before it was brought back on an offisde?

That was a fun 3 seconds. I was happy then

Remember how the refs didnt throw the flag for offsides until after the interception.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I really really really dislike OT rules. A coinflip essentially decides the winner.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I still say, barring a defensive score, both teams should get to receive a kickoff in OT.

Agreed. It's a poor way to decide a game.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Tuck rule

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    What percentage of OT games actually end on the first possession

I bet it’s not actually that high

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

How many years has it been since they at least let the other team get a shot if the first only gets s field goal?

Before that change the coin flip pretty much determined it, nowadays it’s a bit less certain but I’d like to know the number too...

• Options

One thing I’m maybe perversely happy about: it’ll be a city and state that consistently voted blue that celebrates a Super Bowl.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »

How many years has it been since they at least let the other team get a shot if the first only gets s field goal?

Before that change the coin flip pretty much determined it, nowadays it’s a bit less certain but I’d like to know the number too...

Yeah it's probably better, but I still think both teams should get a possession. Make it like College OT rules.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Heir wrote: »
    I really really really dislike OT rules. A coinflip essentially decides the winner.

Well, unless you can stop a 3rd and long

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Winning the coin toss looks like it’s a 10% advantage. However that is based on all OT games since 2010. I wouldn’t be surprised if that number increases a lot if you just look at playoffs, given the caliber of offenses.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Some good salt in here tonight. As a Pats fan, it's like dessert after a nice steak.

That said, Mahomes is amazing. That throw he made through a Patriot to a guy who had, what, six inches of space? That's the kind of play they should study in a museum. He'll be back.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I don't think I even understand how someone can be a Pats fan. Unless you're, like, Tom Brady's neighbour.

EDIT: But then again, I'm an Eagles fan without question because that's the state I'm from, so

Khavall on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Some good salt in here tonight. As a Pats fan, it's like dessert after a nice steak.

That said, Mahomes is amazing. That throw he made through a Patriot to a guy who had, what, six inches of space? That's the kind of play they should study in a museum. He'll be back.

Enjoy the next Whitehouse visit

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    What really makes me grind my teeth isn't simply "Pats win lol", it's the fact that they were casting themselves as the underdogs and that "nobody believes in us" like they're goddamn Rocky Balboa and the media goddamn ate it up. You're not Rocky, you haven't been Rocky for 18 goddamn years. Just enjoy your position as Football's Brock Lesnar!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Hey, Trump's going to go out of his way to pick up 2 Hot-N-Ready's from Little Caesar's, so show some respect.

He'll give Brady a pack of Skittles, on the down low, because he has to keep up appearances, you know.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    What really makes me grind my teeth isn't simply "Pats win lol", it's the fact that they were casting themselves as the underdogs and that "nobody believes in us" like they're goddamn Rocky Balboa and the media goddamn ate it up. You're not Rocky, you haven't been Rocky for 18 goddamn years. Just enjoy your position as Football's Brock Lesnar!

Yeah, playing the underdog against a team that hasn’t gone since the SB was in black and white is adorable.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Hey, Trump's going to go out of his way to pick up 2 Hot-N-Ready's from Little Caesar's, so show some respect.

He'll give Brady a pack of Skittles, on the down low, because he has to keep up appearances, you know.

Nah, these are NFL champs.

He'll get Popeyes or Five Guys or Sbarro for them. Something more upscale.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    the only consolation in this dark wilderness is that if new england wins it, i can say 'i called it' as the world crumbles around me

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Nah, these are NFL champs.

He'll get Popeyes or Five Guys or Sbarro for them. Something more upscale.

I don't know. That might seem too elitist for his base.

Yeah, that narrative is idiotic. Also cliche. I'm not a hardcore football fan by any stretch, but it feels like every year is "The Patriots dynasty is ending, whatever will Brady do?" and then they make the playoffs and that talk gets real quiet until people get bored in June.

• Options
    Oh hooray, everyone in Ann Arbor gets an excuse to
    Heir wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »

Yeah it's probably better, but I still think both teams should get a possession. Make it like College OT rules.

That’s probably a bit too extreme. If teams trade TDs on their first drive of OT, then go to sudden death. That’s a simple change from the way things are now.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I don't think I even understand how someone can be a Pats fan. Unless you're, like, Tom Brady's neighbour.

EDIT: But then again, I'm an Eagles fan without question because that's the state I'm from, so

I grew up here and most sports are stupid tribalism. I have little to no motivation to care about any teams so the ones from where I'm from will do as "my team" as it were. Also all the salt is delicious.

• Options
    I went to school in Boston and worked across the street from Fenway for 3 years. Fandom is a virus.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Not sure why there is so much animosity over the Patriots being called the underdog as the #2 seed playing the #1 seed, on the road (where they only won 3 games during the season), with an aging QB vs. the new hotness, where the D has been suspect throughout the season vs. the stupidly talented Offense of the Chiefs. They were the underdog by definition.

HOWEVER

Brady is absolutely milking that, no question.

Fawst on
  • Options

I’m from Halifax. Boston is our default sports city for everything but hockey, and even for hockey there a ton of Bruins fans.

• Options
    I’m in SE Michigan. Even 20 years later, UM fans treat the Pats as NFL team 1-A.

They just need to stop it. Brady doesn’t care about you the way you care about him.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Not sure why there is so much animosity over the Patriots being called the underdog as the #2 seed playing the #1 seed, on the road (where they only won 3 games during the season), with an aging QB vs. the new hotness, where the D has been suspect throughout the season vs. the stupidly talented Offense of the Chiefs. They were the underdog by definition.

HOWEVER

Brady is absolutely milking that, no question.

There is a difference between not being the favourite (to win [based on game location]) and being an underdog (by being considerably/significantly/obviously weaker overall as a team).

Until New England barely scrapes into the playoffs and hobbles in missing half the team due to injury and wins their playoff games with miraculous 4th quarter comebacks of twenty or more points featuring an assload of opposition turnovers and assorted mistakes, then they can never truly be considered an underdog.

Or if Belichek retires...