As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    No deferment. Told them I'm no longer interested.

Guess that concludes this *checks watch* 36-month ordeal.

Hey, you got a clearance out of the deal though, right?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    No deferment. Told them I'm no longer interested.

Guess that concludes this *checks watch* 36-month ordeal.

Hey, you got a clearance out of the deal though, right?

Supposedly. Dunno how much that would actually shake out in practice.

Guess it's something to consider looking at for post-graduation jobs.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oghulk I'm really sorry my dude

That is a real shame that it came to that at the end

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh god. The school library twitter account I created is blowing up and I kinda can't deal with it. I so used to my personal Twitter that only has like a couple other forum members following me.

Starting to get people from outside my school and district following it for some reason.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Oghulk, that sucks but there is a positive way to look at this. You had two opportunities to choose from and you were able to choose the one you wanted more. You're enjoying your schooling, you have someone in your life, and more opportunities open in the future. Awesome!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Avoiding the sunken cost fallacy is a good thing and shows excellent judgment.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Our newest chemist looks like Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure and dresses like a 50s greaser.

Needless to say, he rules.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My hairdresser was wearing a cool stripey wrap dress, and I complimented her on it. She said "thanks! It makes me look like Beetlejuice, which is rad!"

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I mean, when she's right, she's right

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Between the Deetzes, Otho, and Beetlejuice that movie is nothing but style icons.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    You're a trend-setter

Then that sucks! The reason I'm closing instead of getting out at 1 is because she called in sick. So now I work from open-close today, tomorrow, and I work Saturday. At least we have Monday off.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My hairdresser was wearing a cool stripey wrap dress, and I complimented her on it. She said "thanks! It makes me look like Beetlejuice, which is rad!"

Did you try to get her to say the name two more times?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

It's spelled betelgeuse jeez

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's spelled betelgeuse jeez

A stellar look

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wow look at you being a Beetlegoose over here

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    No its Bazelgeuse, or B-52

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Going to the restroom at work and sitting on a warm toilet seat is terrible

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    You're a trend-setter

Then that sucks! The reason I'm closing instead of getting out at 1 is because she called in sick. So now I work from open-close today, tomorrow, and I work Saturday. At least we have Monday off.

Do they end up in the same boat when you call in? Is it "payback"?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    You're a trend-setter

Do they end up in the same boat when you call in? Is it "payback"?

Possibly payback, but no to the same boat situation. I'm the only one here working this Saturday. Instead of her getting out at 4:30 yesterday, she got out at 5. Now instead of me getting out at 1, I'm getting out at 5:30.

• Options
    Man, I am an adult. Please don't lie to me about things I can find out about very easily. They told me they didn't hire anyone for that job I interviewed for, but today one of the IT guys was being congratulated by everyone in the break room and they posted an opening for an IT position and they update the employee listings and it lists him. I am a big boy and could handle the truth "Hey they hired another person" but the lying part makes me maybe not want to be here long term perhaps

And now I have to think. The pay for the IT position is a little more then I make now, and I was told by the guy who interviewed me that he thought it was odd I didn't have any formal IT experience, so should I apply? Should I go through this whole dog and pony show again? I mean it would look good on my resume but I just had to go through this whole thing with my boss where I said I do like it here (I do) but the job I applied for is a perfect fit. Ugggghaahha

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Man, I am an adult. Please don't lie to me about things I can find out about very easily. They told me they didn't hire anyone for that job I interviewed for, but today one of the IT guys was being congratulated by everyone in the break room and they posted an opening for an IT position and they update the employee listings and it lists him. I am a big boy and could handle the truth "Hey they hired another person" but the lying part makes me maybe not want to be here long term perhaps

And now I have to think. The pay for the IT position is a little more then I make now, and I was told by the guy who interviewed me that he thought it was odd I didn't have any formal IT experience, so should I apply? Should I go through this whole dog and pony show again? I mean it would look good on my resume but I just had to go through this whole thing with my boss where I said I do like it here (I do) but the job I applied for is a perfect fit. Ugggghaahha

Yo that's super fucked leadership

What I would do in order:
    apply to that IT position, hopefully get money get paid
    look at getting a job somewhere less fucked

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    mcp wrote: »

Is it worse than sitting on really cold seat?
    I don't have an opinion on this, they're both bad. I just cannot make up my mind as to which is worse.

• Options
    Sitting on a cold toilet seat makes you feel alive

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

No.

Run away. Run away as fast and as soon as you can. Fuck those people.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »

I don't have an opinion on this, they're both bad. I just cannot make up my mind as to which is worse.

Sitting on a cold toilet seat doesn't make you feel like you're rubbing asses with a coworker.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Sitting on a cold toilet seat doesn't make you feel like you're rubbing asses with a coworker.

Which, I imagine, would also make one feel alive.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Alarm at top of snow and ice covered mountain with fallen trees.

Road back to office was lined with leaning trees till i reached the freeway

All this a 15 minute drive from valve and Microsoft's headquarters in redmond.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Yesterday one of my coworkers car was stuck.

No problem, they have AAA to come help.

AAA finds the road they are on and just leaves them there.

So they call out.

What's the point of AAA if they dont help when you need them he says.

I find out where his car was. I mention I'd have left him too. Should've known better than to drive there with all the slush and snow

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Excuse me for a second
    性交!
    Ok I have to supervise people I had to seriously ask do they want to continue working in this dept? One of them I just want to trade one I want to fire outright 3 I want to know their answer before I do something
    My new manager has ideas {questionable ideas} One of which is changing my working hours because of the OT I am getting and how I have to cut it. I pointed out to him the 4 people that we need to do something about as they are bringing down the whole operation with their lack of enthusiasm.

So I am quite frustraited with the procress at work more so than usual it doesn't help soon the drones come and replace people

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    My new goal for the quarter is "reset every team's KPIs around our company strategic objectives, but let the team leads themselves actually pick the KPIs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKGJZt83_JE

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »

I've rethought this

based on my actual recent history this is what i would actually do

get that IT position
    do good work
    drive those fuckers out
    take over those fucker's jobs

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Some shitty stuff under the spoiler. Please don't quote the spoiler or mention where I live if you reply.
    So yesterday, on my birthday, there was an impromptu meeting at work, where we all learned that everybody's last day would be on Friday. I'm one of three or so people who will remain on payroll and will have to come in to this empty graveyard for the next 90 days. I am....depressed. Not so much for myself - I feel like I can manage to get through this financially, but holy fuck this is emotionally rough as hell. I didn't even get to spend a year here. I've watched all my coworker friends slowly be laid off or find new jobs and leave, and now the rest of them are all gone. The few that were left here will be in town for at least a few more months, so we've promised eachother that we'll hang out, but I'm going to be more or less alone completely for the next 90 days. No family or friends or coworkers. I am a sad person. Trying to allow myself a few days of mental/physical rest (I had submitted for Thursday, Friday, and Monday as days off already for a mental break) and I'm telling myself that it's okay to take a couple of days before going full-bore into work mode again to re-amp my portfolio. I had booked a post-birthday massage for today that I went to earlier, and was thankful for it because it was too late to cancel and I think I honestly needed something nice for myself after all of this.

So yeah, fuck.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    My new goal for the quarter is "reset every team's KPIs around our company strategic objectives, but let the team leads themselves actually pick the KPIs"

Shine on you crazy diamond.

BTW- I forget, are you Boston area?

• Options
    That's really rough @NightDragon for you and everyone else

You're definitely in the right to do what you can to take care of yourself mentally though.

:bro:

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    schuss wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Shine on you crazy diamond.

BTW- I forget, are you Boston area?

I am a San Francisco Tech Asshole at the moment, I just grew up in the Boston suburbs.

e- also I left out the part where we haven't actually set out strategic objectives for 2019, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be Incepting anyway.

I'm treating this as an opportunity to make clear to leadership what needs doing.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that's a bummer @NightDragon

happy belated birthday tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
  • Options

I've rethought this

based on my actual recent history this is what i would actually do

get that IT position
    do good work
    drive those fuckers out
    take over those fucker's jobs

Yeah I decided I'm going for it the hardest part will be telling my boss, especially dive one of my co workers just put his two weeks in, but I can't let that stop me

• Options
    Fucking hell Nightdragon I'm so sorry that's happening.

• Options
    Sitting on a cold toilet seat makes you feel alive

Sitting on a cold toilet seat feels to me like a ghost is trying to climb up my bum.

This discussion has been closed.