Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm gonna wait for E3 to go by before I buy a Switch. I'm suspecting a price drop will be happening around that time. There has to be a price drop sometime this year. I'm finally convinced to get one, but I don't want to throw $300 at it.
    We shall see :D

Yeah I can't see the current unit getting a price drop this year. Maybe some more discounted bundles but you're still paying at least $300, because Nintendo loves those sweet profits. If we do get a cheaper unit this year its going to be "compromised" in some way i.e. not dockable out-of-the-box at least, something that is significantly cheaper for them to produce.

When Sony and MS bring on their new systems is when we might see the price get a bit more aggressive.

Yeah, right now the Switch is selling beyond anyone's wildest imagination. No way they lower the price anytime soon.

But like you say, I could see it happen when the next-gen arrives.

And while they could certainly sell a Dockless Switch I don't think they will. The Dock itself is basically just a hunk of plastic, I doubt they'd be saving more than $10 not having a Dock included.

A hunk of plastic with a power supply, HDMI and USB ports, and I thought some processing oomph too? There are games that play better docked than handheld, so the dock must be doing something other than just standing the thing up.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I'm gonna wait for E3 to go by before I buy a Switch. I'm suspecting a price drop will be happening around that time. There has to be a price drop sometime this year. I'm finally convinced to get one, but I don't want to throw $300 at it.

Yeah I can't see the current unit getting a price drop this year. Maybe some more discounted bundles but you're still paying at least $300, because Nintendo loves those sweet profits. If we do get a cheaper unit this year its going to be "compromised" in some way i.e. not dockable out-of-the-box at least, something that is significantly cheaper for them to produce.

When Sony and MS bring on their new systems is when we might see the price get a bit more aggressive.

Yeah, right now the Switch is selling beyond anyone's wildest imagination. No way they lower the price anytime soon.

And while they could certainly sell a Dockless Switch I don't think they will. The Dock itself is basically just a hunk of plastic, I doubt they'd be saving more than $10 not having a Dock included.

A hunk of plastic with a power supply, HDMI and USB ports, and I thought some processing oomph too? There are games that play better docked than handheld, so the dock must be doing something other than just standing the thing up.

Nah not really. If you are the clever type you can actually get the Switch running on a TV in Docked mode without the Dock.

There is no power supply in it, just a power port and HDMI and USB ports but those are very, very cheap things to buy (for a manufacturer). Still pretty cheap for you or I to buy too.

Manufacturing costs for a Dock have got to be pennies on the dollar. The price we pay is basically a Nintendo Tax.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

I assume the better performance docked is due to the system realizing it has a steady power source rather than being in battery, so it kicks in "high performance" mode. I imagine you would get the same good performance if you were just plugged into the wall rather than the dock.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    yeah all the performance gains are due to the system switching into full power consumption mode instead of throttled mode to make the battery last longer when it's handheld.
    The dock is basically a USB hub with a power connector and HDMI output.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fry wrote: »

I assume the better performance docked is due to the system realizing it has a steady power source rather than being in battery, so it kicks in "high performance" mode. I imagine you would get the same good performance if you were just plugged into the wall rather than the dock.

"In theory" but not in practice. Nintendo is not letting licensed software access the docked clocks without being "docked", I.E. when the Switch display shuts off and outputs HDMI instead.

Its also worth noting that the Switch cools itself more aggressively when undocked, presumably because they don't want the system to be hot to the touch then.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    My number 2 placement was kinda deflated when I glanced at the only non Ko'd screen, and all his blocks were in the first 3 rows. I never even had a chance.

Also damn that music sticks in your head.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I finished in second the first time that I played, somehow.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    My number 2 placement was kinda deflated

You should probably see a doctor about that

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Again: Tetris 99 IS a killer app. If they support it with new modes and events it could be a big driver.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Where are the Tetronimo cosmetics, give me Tetronimos that look like outer space. Or puppies.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    One of the weirdest things about Tetris 99 is that Nintendo had just told investors they were going to try to enrich the value of the Nintendo Online Service on Jan 31st. Only two weeks later we got Tetris 99 which is free to NSO subscribers.

They told investors there were several unannounced titles for 2019. Then the Nintendo Direct revealed Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening all for 2019.

It's just weird to see a company follow up so quickly and directly on promises made during an investor Q&A. It's making me go back over the translated Q&A for new hints!

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Again: Tetris 99 IS a killer app. If they support it with new modes and events it could be a big driver.

Hmmm... I don't know. It's a fun little diversion, but in my experience it's playing Tetris for a minute or so then getting obliterated by stuff beyond my control.

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Hmmm... I don't know. It's a fun little diversion, but in my experience it's playing Tetris for a minute or so then getting obliterated by stuff beyond my control.

Perhaps I'm overstating it, true. But I just spent 2 and a half hours today on that shit. It's the epitome of 'just one more turn'.
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Where are the Tetronimo cosmetics, give me Tetronimos that look like outer space. Or puppies.

New backgrounds are where it's at.

• Options

Perhaps I'm overstating it, true. But I just spent 2 and a half hours today on that shit. It's the epitome of 'just one more turn'.

New backgrounds are where it's at.

It needs to be a background visible to opponents. It won't be a complete game experience until your match is against a wall of anime wallpapers.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

It will absolutely drive sales of Nintendo Switch Online.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I don't know how licencing stuff from older games works, but as long as I'm dreaming, pull the soundtrack and backgrounds from Tgm3.

That soundtrack haunts my dreams.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Never gonna happen. Tetris company is all about maintaining the purity of the tetronimo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Downloaded the Yoshi and Daemon x Machina demos, bought Undertale since it was on sale, and then I had just enough Gold Points left over to get Wargroove as well. And of course I'm now utterly addicted to Stardew Valley, so this should keep me busy for a while.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I dunno, Puyo Puyo Tetris had some weird tetronimos.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: wrong thread

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I can see Tetris 99 introducing Cosmetic Garbage. What better way to style on some fools than with some sparkly rainbow colored garbage?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I didn't notice input lag on the Switch; it's responsive enough for me to rock jump rope and impressing the hell out of some nobles, at least

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I didn't notice input lag on the Switch; it's responsive enough for me to rock jump rope and impressing the hell out of some nobles, at least

So weird. I have almost a 1 second delay on button presses. I haven't played docked and also maybe I just need to restart the console.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    All these calls for customization and skins makes me think that Nintendo probably could get away with season passes of some sort for Tetris 99. Might as well go for the full F2P Battle Royale business model.

• Options
    nusu wrote: »
    All these calls for customization and skins makes me think that Nintendo probably could get away with season passes of some sort for Tetris 99. Might as well go for the full F2P Battle Royale business model.

I don't hope it goes THAT far.

I need an SD card before I get FF9.

• Options

Never gonna happen. Tetris company is all about maintaining the purity of the tetronimo

I am the man who arranges the blocks, under Bolshevik rule what they say goes

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    plufim wrote: »

I really wish Nintendo had just billed Nintendo Switch Online as NES ROMS + Free games like Tetris 99. As a $20/year retro games + extras subscription service it is absolutely worthwhile (and family sharing means I am not even paying that). Instead we got "now you have to pay to use online games, except none of our online games use servers its all p2p so you're paying twice for your internet connection". I don't want to be an eternal gripe factory but its really just UGH.

I love Tetris 99 a lot. It is a good game. It does one thing but it does that one thing really, really well.

Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this- like a Switch port of Pacman VS., or some other cool arcade-y style game that can't quite justify a stand-alone price tag these days.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

So weird. I have almost a 1 second delay on button presses. I haven't played docked and also maybe I just need to restart the console.

Yeah any weirdness with the Switch can normally be resolved by restarting it. I'm guessing there's a memory leak when in sleep mode.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

Eh, Tetris Effect has some skins that make the game borderline unplayable

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Eh, Tetris Effect has some skins that make the game borderline unplayable

And that shitty default camera!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

I really wish Nintendo had just billed Nintendo Switch Online as NES ROMS + Free games like Tetris 99. As a $20/year retro games + extras subscription service it is absolutely worthwhile (and family sharing means I am not even paying that). Instead we got "now you have to pay to use online games, except none of our online games use servers its all p2p so you're paying twice for your internet connection". I don't want to be an eternal gripe factory but its really just UGH.

I love Tetris 99 a lot. It is a good game. It does one thing but it does that one thing really, really well.

Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this- like a Switch port of Pacman VS., or some other cool arcade-y style game that can't quite justify a stand-alone price tag these days.

How does that mean you're paying twice for your Internet connection?

And P2P games still need Nintendo server infrastructure to facilitate. It's not the setup they'd need for dedicated servers, obviously, but it's not "zero cost" to keep the online games going, by any means.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Someone was giving advice earlier and said you may have to re-learn your normal Tetris-playing tactics. It can be more beneficial to keep the wall low rather than try to build up to 4 or more lines. That way when junk gets added to your pile, you might already be in a position to clear it immediately. This doesn't work late game when stuff is flying fast and furious, but it might be worth trying.

Another benefit is if you're clearing individual lines, you're not sending any junk to anyone, which means no assisting in KOs, which means no badges and no attention for being a killer. And staying low, you're not an easy kill yourself either.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    But the bonuses you get from badges help both send garbage and clear it before it hits the field, so if you have a low badge/ko count by the endgame you get shredded

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

Not sure if you already know and meant use "the" instead of "a", but there's already a Switch port of Pac-Man VS., it's in the Switch version of Namco Museum. But a standalone version you can play online would be pretty sweet.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

And P2P games still need Nintendo server infrastructure to facilitate. It's not the setup they'd need for dedicated servers, obviously, but it's not "zero cost" to keep the online games going, by any means.

Pay my internet provider, and pay Nintendo, but its (almost entirely) running on my connection. I'm paying twice for one connection. I understand that there are costs and servers that Nintendo has to maintain in this arrangement still, but when it was free on the Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and for many many PC games, its kind of a ridiculous argument that they can't make it work, financially. And by putting up a paywall that is a barrier to entry for a lot of players. Imagine being a Splatoon2 player, a mostly online game, playing online for free for a year, and then having the game effectively shut off for you through no change on your part? It's ridiculous. I enjoy the various services Nintendo Online brings to the table and I think it's actually a very good value for what you are getting, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize aspects of it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    ndz7c24d9rzj.jpg

So this happened. Not sure how, I'm not exactly a master. I've had maybe 4 or 5 2nds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Pay my internet provider, and pay Nintendo, but its (almost entirely) running on my connection. I'm paying twice for one connection. I understand that there are costs and servers that Nintendo has to maintain in this arrangement still, but when it was free on the Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and for many many PC games, its kind of a ridiculous argument that they can't make it work, financially. And by putting up a paywall that is a barrier to entry for a lot of players. Imagine being a Splatoon2 player, a mostly online game, playing online for free for a year, and then having the game effectively shut off for you through no change on your part? It's ridiculous. I enjoy the various services Nintendo Online brings to the table and I think it's actually a very good value for what you are getting, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize aspects of it.

This argument boils down to "since they started running it at a loss, they should continue running it at a loss in all perpetuity"

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm not paying $15 a month to Steam (or any other digital platform) for multiplayer and that service (and all the others) has far and away more robust online functionality than Nintendo Online.

edit- Though again, it is so damn cheap that it doesn't even register as an annoyance with me. I just hate paying for multiplayer on consoles in general when there is no need to.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

This argument boils down to "since they started running it at a loss, they should continue running it at a loss in all perpetuity"

If Splatoon 2 and other games that went from free to paid improved their service, that would be something worth arguing about. I have heard nothing to the effect that they did.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Nintendo online is super cheap and it's fine for a company to ask for a small amount of money to support the server space facilitating the gameplay.

Its $20 a year.

For something you will definitely get at leas 200, if not 2k hours out of over a year, $20 is an incredibly low price point.