As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I didn’t mean to take a video of the end of the match, because infini-spinning on that L block is kind of embarrassing, but I still won damnit!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Can we not have another 10+ pages of arguing back and forth about the value of Nintendo Switch Online? It's been done over and over already.

On topic: Slowly trying to convince my wife to play Tetris 99. She routinely schools me in Poyo Poyo Tetris. I believe she can be a contender.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    Again: Tetris 99 IS a killer app. If they support it with new modes and events it could be a big driver.

It will absolutely drive sales of Nintendo Switch Online.

I really wish Nintendo had just billed Nintendo Switch Online as NES ROMS + Free games like Tetris 99. As a $20/year retro games + extras subscription service it is absolutely worthwhile (and family sharing means I am not even paying that). Instead we got "now you have to pay to use online games, except none of our online games use servers its all p2p so you're paying twice for your internet connection". I don't want to be an eternal gripe factory but its really just UGH.

I love Tetris 99 a lot. It is a good game. It does one thing but it does that one thing really, really well.

Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this- like a Switch port of Pacman VS., or some other cool arcade-y style game that can't quite justify a stand-alone price tag these days.

Pacman 99; if you die you become a ghost and chase the remaining players

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'm honestly confused why Nintendo decided to make a pack-in bundle of a $35 credit instead of just a full year of Switch Online. It's cheaper for them, it gets people hooked into the online and it's kind of a better talking point.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well at least this way, the person buying it can get the year of NSO free, and still have $15 to spend on something good.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I'm honestly confused why Nintendo decided to make a pack-in bundle of a $35 credit instead of just a full year of Switch Online. It's cheaper for them, it gets people hooked into the online and it's kind of a better talking point.

You need a game for your brand-new system more than you need online. But the amount is also conveniently under $40, the low end of Nintendo's retail game prices, meaning you have to some more money into the e-shop for any of those famous 1st party games. At that point they have your foot in the door with credit card in hand.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 is the perfect game to test if your pro controller's dpad sucks. So many unwanted hard drops.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Again: Tetris 99 IS a killer app. If they support it with new modes and events it could be a big driver.

I really wish Nintendo had just billed Nintendo Switch Online as NES ROMS + Free games like Tetris 99. As a $20/year retro games + extras subscription service it is absolutely worthwhile (and family sharing means I am not even paying that). Instead we got "now you have to pay to use online games, except none of our online games use servers its all p2p so you're paying twice for your internet connection". I don't want to be an eternal gripe factory but its really just UGH.

I love Tetris 99 a lot. It is a good game. It does one thing but it does that one thing really, really well.

Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this- like a Switch port of Pacman VS., or some other cool arcade-y style game that can't quite justify a stand-alone price tag these days.

But then for the last player the game turns into Pacman CE-DX.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

How does that mean you're paying twice for your Internet connection?

And P2P games still need Nintendo server infrastructure to facilitate. It's not the setup they'd need for dedicated servers, obviously, but it's not "zero cost" to keep the online games going, by any means.

Pay my internet provider, and pay Nintendo, but its (almost entirely) running on my connection. I'm paying twice for one connection. I understand that there are costs and servers that Nintendo has to maintain in this arrangement still, but when it was free on the Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and for many many PC games, its kind of a ridiculous argument that they can't make it work, financially. And by putting up a paywall that is a barrier to entry for a lot of players. Imagine being a Splatoon2 player, a mostly online game, playing online for free for a year, and then having the game effectively shut off for you through no change on your part? It's ridiculous. I enjoy the various services Nintendo Online brings to the table and I think it's actually a very good value for what you are getting, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize aspects of it.

You're not paying for the connection, you're paying for the servers running the game. Game servers cost money to run. Nintendo's earlier consoles might have been free, but there were also a lot fewer players/games that had online (and people criticized them for having such anemic online capabilities). PC games often have free public servers, but it's usually only temporary as long as the game is profitable, once it's not, they are shut down. Consoles are charging for online so as to spread around the costs and risks for the different games. Considering that every other console has charged for online long ago, and Nintendo announced before the console even launched that online would be free only temporarily, I think calling it ridiculous is kind of overkill. Paying for online is much more reasonable than expecting game publishers to pay themselves for an unpredictable load, and also results in a better experience for the players since there's more of a direct money flow to it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Look at it from this perspective:

Buy Tetris 99 for $20/year and get unlimited online play, cloud saves, and access to 30+ NES games. There may also be additional free games released through the year! Stay tuned!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

And P2P games still need Nintendo server infrastructure to facilitate. It's not the setup they'd need for dedicated servers, obviously, but it's not "zero cost" to keep the online games going, by any means.

Pay my internet provider, and pay Nintendo, but its (almost entirely) running on my connection. I'm paying twice for one connection. I understand that there are costs and servers that Nintendo has to maintain in this arrangement still, but when it was free on the Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and for many many PC games, its kind of a ridiculous argument that they can't make it work, financially. And by putting up a paywall that is a barrier to entry for a lot of players. Imagine being a Splatoon2 player, a mostly online game, playing online for free for a year, and then having the game effectively shut off for you through no change on your part? It's ridiculous. I enjoy the various services Nintendo Online brings to the table and I think it's actually a very good value for what you are getting, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize aspects of it.

You're not paying for the connection, you're paying for the servers running the game. Game servers cost money to run. Nintendo's earlier consoles might have been free, but there were also a lot fewer players/games that had online (and people criticized them for having such anemic online capabilities). PC games often have free public servers, but it's usually only temporary as long as the game is profitable, once it's not, they are shut down. Consoles are charging for online so as to spread around the costs and risks for the different games. Considering that every other console has charged for online long ago, and Nintendo announced before the console even launched that online would be free only temporarily, I think calling it ridiculous is kind of overkill. Paying for online is much more reasonable than expecting game publishers to pay themselves for an unpredictable load, and also results in a better experience for the players since there's more of a direct money flow to it.

Nintendo just shut down their entire store for older consoles. Paying them will not keep the servers up. In fact, Nintendo's legacy online service has been the worst out of the core 3, with a huge amount of their online games going offline because of the whole Gamespy thing.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's going to be really weird if those rumored plans of a bot mode and a single player mode of Tetris 99 are true. I was initially befuddled as to why the game was free for subscribers (and also instantly had the thought of how fuckin' full of MTX it would be). Then it made perfect sense, because it's basically an always online game. If they add in these single player options, and ideally go one step further and don't require you to be online to play them?

Well, it would change their entire pitch to essentially be "Subscribe to Nintendo Online, get a free version of Tetris!".

And that would apparently fucking work too, is the crazy part. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    NSO can definitely be differentiated by these kinds of offers. Low-cost, bite-sized yet addictive multiplayer games for subscribers. The reason Tetris 99 works is because it encourages the 'one more round' mentality through smooth transitions from one match to the next and fast, painless matchmaking (probably the fastest there is for any Nintendo game; take that as you will). Puzzle games in general are probably the best fit because they are smaller downloads and appeal to a wide audience.

Of course, service improvements would be nice too. Won't argue that. I hope they'll add value in that area as well.

edzepp on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Alright, but how does the first Pac-Man die? I suppose the game could start out with CPU-controlled ghosts, but frankly that would go against the entire spirit of the genre.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I am sorry I kicked the NSO gripes / defenders hornets nest. I didn't realize what I was unleashing, but I should have.

Still loving Tetris.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Alright, but how does the first Pac-Man die? I suppose the game could start out with CPU-controlled ghosts, but frankly that would go against the entire spirit of the genre.

99 Pac-Men, one ghost. A "patient zero," if you will.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

Nintendo just shut down their entire store for older consoles. Paying them will not keep the servers up. In fact, Nintendo's legacy online service has been the worst out of the core 3, with a huge amount of their online games going offline because of the whole Gamespy thing.

How do you know paying them won't keep the servers up? We haven't had to pay before. And if you're complaining that their legacy service has been the worst of the three, then you should be championing this change, because it brings Nintendo more in line with the other 2 consoles, actually prioritizing online as a product.

sig.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    o

How do you know paying them won't keep the servers up? We haven't had to pay before. And if you're complaining that their legacy service has been the worst of the three, then you should be championing this change, because it brings Nintendo more in line with the other 2 consoles, actually prioritizing online as a product.

Obviously they will stop selling NSO a year before shutdown.

Yes I’m being a little fascetious but I don’t see why paying for X years would even suggest that they keep the service going forever. At some point there aren’t enough subs left to justify the costs, lack of use is the main reason these services get shut down in the first place, and a paywall for an obselete system is what will absolutely tank usage and matchmaking if anything.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    I just tried a few Tetris games docked for the first time, and I’m way worse than in handheld mode. It feels like I can’t keep everything in view at the same time. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 is the perfect game to test if your pro controller's dpad sucks. So many unwanted hard drops.

This is why if I'm playing any game that is better played with the D-pad, I use the 8bitdo SNES30 pro.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hopefully there are ways to make costumes permanent in Mario Maker 2. Or rather just make some classic enemies playable.

Goomba only levels for me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »

Were you listening to Queen?

Edit: God fucking dammit! Too slow reading the thread!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Why would that matter? Listening to Queen while playing Tetris?

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Why would that matter? Listening to Queen while playing Tetris?

His name was Brian McGee.

Homer Simpson's name on his fake id, to buy his first six pack.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7p5VwAXk0

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    came in 7th in my first game of tetris 99. need to learn who I should target at the start and how I affect them/how that works... and I also don't know what hold is

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    came in 7th in my first game of tetris 99. need to learn who I should target at the start and how I affect them/how that works... and I also don't know what hold is

Hold is exactly what it sounds like - you can hold a tetrimino for future use.

Say you have an L-shaped piece coming down. It won't fit cleanly anywhere. Press L1 to hold it. It will be in a little box in the top left corner of the screen. When you're ready to use it, press L1 again... that piece will now be coming down, and the piece that was coming down will now be held.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    In other news, the surveys for the Daemon X Machina demo are being sent out. Finished mine a few minutes ago. Looks like they're considering some form of multiplayer, and at least one mech part that auto shoots at enemies in range.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    More Tetris strategy talk!

For god's sake switch off of random at the start of the match!

They try to balance the game a little by making it so that the better you've been performing in recent matches, the more other players start off targeting you "randomly."

But that means you're targeting a player who is probably really good, and if they choose to send junk to attackers, you're sunk.

Sending junk to attackers is the only way to target multiple people at once, and a really good player can screw over all the people who are "randomly" targeting them from the start. So switch off if you don't want to possibly get creamed.

I had several good games in a row, and started one with like 6 people targeting me. As usual I switched to target attackers, and I picked up so many KOs early on, got a few badges out of it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It took me a few games to realize there is a hold button and what it does.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    T-spins seems to be where the money is.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Now wouldn't that be wild

Possibly connected to this rumor that Nintendo might be reviving a cancelled game

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-nintendo-reviving-dead-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk/

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Awesome. I was super bummed when this was canned.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, there is something heartwarming about Nintendo forming these close partnerships with studios that don't churn out the insane hits the AAA industry's ravenous investors demand. There aren't a lot of studios willing to invest in loss leaders for their platforms anymore. The only other one I can think of is Sony just shoveling money into Team Ico all through the PS3 generation for more or less nothing in return.

If Nintendo scavenges Scalebound, and it's actually good, it'll be a coup for them.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Well, on Nintendo they're also not loss leaders as Nintendo holds price for a long time and has a large install base. This is what being comfortable with your product and long term plans looks like.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I mean, it's not like Nintendo has rescued a Platinum game that was cancelled before.

...oh yeah.

I assume they had some sort of contract with Microsoft where if the game is cancelled/doesn't come out, they get the rights back for it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Nintendo reviving that dead game sounds awesome. Having never heard of it, I watched a video and good lord do I hate everything about it. Glad to see that people that would like it have a chance at getting to play it though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Note that Scalebound went through development hell, and Microsoft likely had too much of a hand in it, which affected how it ended up looking and playing.

I figure a revived Scalebound would be closer to the original vision.

edzepp on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    T-spins seems to be where the money is.

Yep. The thing that I’m terrible at. Figures.

• Options
    I've gotten T-Spins twice and I'm still not sure how exactly or when.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Note that Scalebound went through development hell, and Microsoft likely had too much of a hand in it, which affected how it ended up looking and playing.

I figure a revived Scalebound would be closer to the original vision.

I remember reading the post-mortem on Lionhead, and it was depressing how much Microsoft demanded they achieve certain arbitrary milestones, then decided the milestone they demanded was a stupid idea and punished Lionhead for it. Repeat for 2 years until they shuttered the studio.

Lately Microsoft has been on a buying spree in barely concealed anticipation of their next XBox and having a deep roster of first party exclusives. But unless they've learned to manage with a lighter touch, they'll probably just run all their acquisitions into the ground again.

I know Nintendo doesn't use a light touch either. But their partners have rather consistently said it's been a positive experience with Nintendo just trying to get them to be better. The same can not be said of Microsoft.