Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    At first it looked like it was centered enough that it wouldn't likely have hit anyone, but that last picture.... if there was a passenger there then that'd be it for them.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean thats obviously a wolf but I probably would have done the same. Once I almost stopped on a highway because I saw a feral cat struggling in the snow.
    There was nowhere to pull over or Id likely have a cat right now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The quickest way to tell if it's a full wolf or not is the eyes. Yellow/amber like that is wolf, even if they're a smaller wolf with a smaller jaw like that.

If you ever get a chance to see a wolf in person you will be shocked at how fucking huge they are.

wMeNJBOl.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I mean thats obviously a wolf but I probably would have done the same. Once I almost stopped on a highway because I saw a feral cat struggling in the snow.
    There was nowhere to pull over or Id likely have a cat right now

It's certainly reasonable to respond to a non-hostile animal in distress. It's really the lack of awareness of it being a wolf and the wolf just going along with it that amuses so much.

Edit: There's another story I'm reminded of about a guy in Japan that came across what he thought was a stray kitten. It wasn't until he took it to a vet after 17 years that he discovers it's an endangered wildcat. While normally taking one from the wild would be a crime, they were willing to let it go in this case and were more interested in learning how he took care of one for 17 years without needing to take it to the vet when zoos normally only see them live to about 12.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Another way to tell its a wolf is if its on your rocking Van mural

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Speaking to the Estonian newspaper Postimees, one of the men, Rando Kartsepp, said: "We had to carry him over the slope. He weighed a fair bit."

Classic Rando.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Wolf sizes are extremely biome specific, with cold climates trending towards larger critters. Red wolves in the SW of America are barely bigger than the coyotes, while 120-150 lb Tundra and Siberian wolves are relatively common.

• Options
    yeah but who cares about red wolves when you've got a big chonk like that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ive always wanted to meet a wolf. Its my top animal meet up beside a tiger.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It's probably going to pee on you.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So two bucket list items in one trip, eh...

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The quickest way to tell if it's a full wolf or not is the eyes. Yellow/amber like that is wolf, even if they're a smaller wolf with a smaller jaw like that.

If you ever get a chance to see a wolf in person you will be shocked at how fucking huge they are.

wMeNJBOl.png

And all I see is a big cuddlebear that needs some cuddles.

And yes, I am aware I am just meat that makes noise to that big boy, but I dont care. He's getting his cuddles.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

wMeNJBOl.png

And all I see is a big cuddlebear that needs some cuddles.

And yes, I am aware I am just meat that makes noise to that big boy, but I dont care. He's getting his cuddles.

Cuddles from the inside.

• Options
    It's probably going to pee on you.

Well a treat for my dog then I guess

• Options
    women fair a lot better meeting wolves and male wolves at that

just if they try to lick your mouth, let them, that's how they great each other

if you don't they will grab you (maim you) to force you to let them

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    "LET ME LOVE YOU! WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LOVE YOU!!"

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

That's really interesting! I wonder if it's an intrinsic thing on the part of the wolves, or if it has more to do with how men and women are socialized to carry themselves? Or neither!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Calica wrote: »

That's really interesting! I wonder if it's an intrinsic thing on the part of the wolves, or if it has more to do with how men and women are socialized to carry themselves? Or neither!

Or both. Wolves can tell more about a person by sniffing them a bit than we can learn about each other with a long intimate conversation, and can also pick up on body language so subtle that we humans don't consciously register it in one another. You can't lie to a dog, and dogs are just fucked up wolf hybrids.

Personally, I would think smell has something to do with it. There are a number of other species with a strong sense of smell who are reputed to react differently to men than women, some being more positive to men and some to women.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Or both. Wolves can tell more about a person by sniffing them a bit than we can learn about each other with a long intimate conversation, and can also pick up on body language so subtle that we humans don't consciously register it in one another. You can't lie to a dog, and dogs are just fucked up wolf hybrids.

Personally, I would think smell has something to do with it. There are a number of other species with a strong sense of smell who are reputed to react differently to men than women, some being more positive to men and some to women.

I read an anecdote on Tumblr (so, grain of salt) about how when a female researcher was hired at a wolf sanctuary, she was asked, "If you're pregnant, do you want to know?"

Apparently, someone had congratulated a previous employee on her pregnancy: the wolves knew, so the wolf researchers also knew, from the wolves' behavior. The woman herself didn't know she was pregnant, though, and wasn't pleased to find out that everyone else knew before she did :razz:

• Options
    edited February 2019

If I'm remembering the wolf sanctuary stuff correctly it's sort of sex related in general? They don't see females as much of a threat as males so the male wolves kind of get this harem going with the female visitors and workers. That doesn't exclude males entirely it's just not quite as easy to get the wolves to let you mingle with them?

Also there isn't really an alpha in wolf packs, there is a primary wolf who usually does all the greeting first that's technically the alpha but otherwise the wolves go about their business. It's kind of weird how much like humans they are. Like it seems like they mimic human hunting and social behavior pretty closely.

It's probably why 15k-ish years ago we were all like "yo this survival thing sucks, let's team up" and the rest was history.

bowen on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic with that.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Last time I looked wolves basically domesticated themselves. There was not much humans did to cause the change from wolf to dog

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Last time I looked wolves basically domesticated themselves. There was not much humans did to cause the change from wolf to dog

Counter point

English Bulldogs.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Trace wrote: »

Counter point

English Bulldogs.

Modern dogs probably look very little like what the original dog looked like so I am not sure what your point is here. Also I have been around big dogs my whole life, great Danes mostly, so the size of wolves has never impressed me as much as it seems to others .I would really like to see one up close in person though.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In terms of human involvement I think it goes something like "wolf" > "dog" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "the abominations we call 'breeds' today"

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That's not fair. Shouldn't the dog lose its license instead? :)

Dogs are ipso facto good dogs, so... no, the dog's in the clear.
    Clearly, a good dog would not shoot an undeserving and innocent bystander.

It could thus be argued, based on this assumed default good dog status, that the man deserved to be shot (also based on his driving in a car with an unsecured, loaded gun pointed at him that didn't have the safety engaged (or had a safety that a dog could disengage) as well as an excitable and unrestrained dog with access to the firing mechanism). In this case, the dog deserves a medal for teaching a valuable lesson in gun safety.

But what if it's John Wicks dog?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

You're thinking of cats.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

You're thinking of cats.

Of course he is, but I don't see what furlion's love of Broadway musicals has to do with anything.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's easy to lie to a dog, most of them are very trusting.

What I've heard is that there's some correlation between how harmless wolves are to humans in an area and how little direct exposure they have to humans, with the rationale that things you don't trust aren't convenient food, and wolves preferring to address conflict by keeping their distance rather than pressing the issue.

PLA on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    reVerse wrote: »

You're thinking of cats.

Of course he is, but I don't see what furlion's love of Broadway musicals has to do with anything.

Having a chance for some R&R away from their base or ship is very important to military personnel.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It's incredibly easy to lie to a dog hardly any of them speak a human tongue, you can call a dog any species of terrible insult and it won't know no better

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's incredibly easy to lie to a dog hardly any of them speak a human tongue, you can call a dog any species of terrible insult and it won't know no better

When your dog cuts your brake line those words will echo in your head

King Riptor on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    That's not fair. Shouldn't the dog lose its license instead? :)

Dogs are ipso facto good dogs, so... no, the dog's in the clear.
    Clearly, a good dog would not shoot an undeserving and innocent bystander.

It could thus be argued, based on this assumed default good dog status, that the man deserved to be shot (also based on his driving in a car with an unsecured, loaded gun pointed at him that didn't have the safety engaged (or had a safety that a dog could disengage) as well as an excitable and unrestrained dog with access to the firing mechanism). In this case, the dog deserves a medal for teaching a valuable lesson in gun safety.

But what if it's John Wicks dog?

Couldn't have been John Wicks dog, because the guy survived.
    But, even if it had been John Wicks dog, the assumption that all dogs are good dogs still applies.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

One time when my dumbass dog did something bad, I got mad and yelled at him "you're adopted!"

He did not seem to care.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I called my dog a coward and a liar just now and he wagged his tail like I said he was great, the dumb bastard

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    My nickname for my dog is "Dummy" and she's never minded

Probably because when I'm calling her dumb I'm rubbing her belly and she's not even listening after that