As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dogs and Cats living together in the [Snugglehug] Thread (Nsf56k)

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I just laughed a bunch because that is so ridiculous what are you even made of, little rabbit??

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    They do live in wee holes! Lots of burrowing type animals have pretty flexible skeletons and can squeeze through some pretty tiny gaps. Rats, for example, and moles. Though of course rabbits aren't rodents.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hear a ferret can squeeze into anything you can get a quarter through, assuming the quarter was, like, a sphere.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I hear a ferret can squeeze into anything you can get a quarter through, assuming the quarter was, like, a sphere.

Not quite a quarter, but my first ferret did manage to squeeze under a door once.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    rats are also quarter-squeezers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    In the vein of the pet naming discussion from last page... My father worked in the railroad industry, and we lived in Pennsylvania, so our first cat was named Pennsy (a common nickname for the PRR). After that we had:
    1. Fay, for the Santa Fe, she had a lot of beige-orange patches when she was a kitten, although she turned mostly grey by the time she was an adult.
    2. Chessie, for the Chesapeake & Ohio, because she looked very similar to their mascot (see below).
    3. Bo, for the Baltimore & Ohio, mainly just because it was a cute boy's name.

lsohvic9fb2g.jpg
    vqle6xxu1rn7.jpg
    svy3fo28w69n.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Private Kitty is a Good Boy

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Everybody has regrets.

I think somethings wrong with this bird:

Hey! Watch me now!

HjjhxGP.jpg

Bedlam on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lola is getting vet stuff performed ( nothing serious) and I'm always super nervous when they take her in the back.

On the plus side her diet worked. She's a lean 82 now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Talked to a person at the vet's office

there a humane society person coming by their office tomorrow so they will ask them specifically what we need to do to adopt the little guy. Which... may involve adopting another cat that he's familiar with to be his buddy, as since Sugar and Shara are already bonded, there is a chance they may just reject him, and they think it'd be good for it to have a friend that can help guide it.

Which I totally understand. I'm kind of on the fence about getting a FOURTH cat though. I dunno. It would certainly be nice for him to have a friend. But what if our cats just accept him outright?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Every cat needs a cat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It's probably not that easy. Your new adoptee might have a hard time fighting for their place in the hierarchy. There was a lot of hissing and howling when we brought Moogle home, and Vivi had only been with us for 6 months. We kept them separated for a week because Moogle was too small to fight back if Vivi got aggressive (thankfully that didn't happen, it was mostly just noise). When we finally let them near each other, it took another couple of weeks before there was anything remotely resembling acceptance from Vivi - we usually still kept Moogle in her own room at night or kept a very close eye on her during the day when we let them loose in the house.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with dealing with more than two cats. :( Hopefully someone else has some advice.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    A council of Otters:

• Options
    Yeah, I think that's why they suggested adopting a cat the blind kitten is already familiar with, to avoid the infighting that would come with it. Ideally, it would ALSO be a kitten, so they'd grow up together and such. I guess I'll ask when/if they call tomorrow.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    hyI8t6t.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Name him Murdoch

Daredevil sucks though, go with Chirrut. (I am one with the Force, the Force is with me!)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that's why they suggested adopting a cat the blind kitten is already familiar with, to avoid the infighting that would come with it. Ideally, it would ALSO be a kitten, so they'd grow up together and such. I guess I'll ask when/if they call tomorrow.

Relevant and also amusing video

https://youtu.be/wT37fAiH8TY

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Lurch would like you to throw the spring, please.

DPXb0r6.jpg?1

This cat fucking loves fetch.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Talked to a person at the vet's office

there a humane society person coming by their office tomorrow so they will ask them specifically what we need to do to adopt the little guy. Which... may involve adopting another cat that he's familiar with to be his buddy, as since Sugar and Shara are already bonded, there is a chance they may just reject him, and they think it'd be good for it to have a friend that can help guide it.

Which I totally understand. I'm kind of on the fence about getting a FOURTH cat though. I dunno. It would certainly be nice for him to have a friend. But what if our cats just accept him outright?

I know this probably isn't super helpful, but I'll offer my own experience as cat food for thought. We adopted our first cat, Dovahkiin, when he was nine years old. He was solo in our house for a good two years - almost three I think? - before we adopted Magnus Bane at the age of six months. I completely did not follow the standard new cat introduction advice (because I didn't know about it at the time), but it ended up working out quite well.

Magnus' very first experience coming home was walking out of his carrier and coming face to face with Dovah. They sniffed each other, Dovah hissed at him, Magnus hid for a while. Eventually Magnus got comfortable with the new environment (like later that day I mean) and came out of hiding. For the next two weeks Dovah continued to establish dominance by hissing at Magnus and swatting him occasionally.

After that initial "hey I'm the Boss Cat and you better get used to it" phase they're doing great. They cuddle occasionally, they play together, Dovah doesn't hiss anymore, Magnus gives him shit sometimes, everyone is happy.

I've never experienced a three-cat dynamic, but I know at least from my one experience that it is possible the new kitten would be accepted, maybe after the cats take him to school a bit.

Denada on
  • Options
    Yeah, my main concern with the kitten being blind, which... may not help. Plus there's the possibility that they may want us to adopt another kitten with him so he has a friend he knows?

I dunno. I'm not opposed to it, but also I know four cats is a LOT of cats.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

"if you want to know how much these owl bites hurt, slam your hand with a door. same feeling" haha the delivery of that line

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Yeah, my main concern with the kitten being blind, which... may not help. Plus there's the possibility that they may want us to adopt another kitten with him so he has a friend he knows?

I dunno. I'm not opposed to it, but also I know four cats is a LOT of cats.

Four cats is crazy cat couple territory. Also with four cats you're realistically going to need five litter boxes, which is a whole lot of cat piss scent air fresheners around the house.

• Options
    4 cats is a major commitment but it's hardly crazy person territory

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I have 3 cats and two litter boxes and there is no detectable odor

though you'll have to commit to cleaning them pretty much every day, regardless of how many you have

Shorty on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Unless you get a helper monkey and teach it to scoop litter. Then you've just got the one diaper to contend with instead of five litter boxes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

though you'll have to commit to cleaning them pretty much every day, regardless of how many you have

I've been told to avoid weird territorial and ownership issues you want one more box than you have cats. Maybe that diminishes at or past a certain number of cats?

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Both of my cats use the same litter box. We used to have two, but the second litter box was removed when we decided to get a roommate, and there really is no other place for a second litter box in our apartment.

Honestly, they don't seem to mind much, and we haven't really noticed any weird behavioural issues from either one as a result of moving them to one box. It just means I get to clean it every day I come home from work.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

I've been told to avoid weird territorial and ownership issues you want one more box than you have cats. Maybe that diminishes at or past a certain number of cats?

two of mine are basically brothers, so that probably helps some

• Options
    I've also always heard that they prefer to each have their own litterbox, but they'll still use the same litter if they have to. It probably gives them anxiety though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    My family’s cat has figured out how to open a closed door.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My cat Chessy figured out doorknobs, but couldn't quite manage to turn them herself. She'd also grab the key and take it to the door when she wanted to go out.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    It would be cute/funny but he does this when people are trying to sleep.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Hey, check out some cute stuff I just found on imgur:

This last one I'm pretty sure has been linked before, but just in case:

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, check out some cute stuff I just found on imgur:

This last one I'm pretty sure has been linked before, but just in case:

ftfy :3

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.