[Movies] Thread: Chill & Likable

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    It looks like a high budget TV show.

it really, really does.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Every Disney live-action movie has been middling to bad and NONE of them have shown me anything that made me feel "okay this was worth remaking this film in a more expensive and artistically inferior style" and it's so frustrating to me, personally, to see them continually succeed because I'm kind of a petty bitch sometimes. I'm not proud of it but admitting it is the first step toward recovery or something I guess.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's petty to be mad that Disney got a billion dollars for very lazy movies

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yknow

Things that didn't bother me in the cartoon version are really bugging me now that its will smith though

Like uh

How the character doesn't even have a name and is referred to by what he is

How he's a slave and literally wears fancy gold shackles

I really, really hope he doesn't call Aladdin "Master"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am not pessimistic about the continued dominance of comic book movies but the Disney remakes all being trash and doing extremely well makes me real cynical

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I want the next wave of Kingdom Hearts games to go back to the old worlds, but the live action versions of them, and pretend like it's their first time being there

• Options
    Every Disney live-action movie has been middling to bad and NONE of them have shown me anything that made me feel "okay this was worth remaking this film in a more expensive and artistically inferior style" and it's so frustrating to me, personally, to see them continually succeed because I'm kind of a petty bitch sometimes. I'm not proud of it but admitting it is the first step toward recovery or something I guess.

I think Cinderella and the Jungle Book were both good. The Jungle Book even does something really weird with the ending that makes it a very fresh take.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Aladdin sings like Archie Andrews

• Options
    I've seen Jungle Book. My takeaway at the end was, "they did fine with what they had but this does so little to set itself apart from the last time they made this movie that I can't help but consider how much money was spent on this and how many other movies could have been made. How many projects from people of color or queer people, stories and people who are vastly underrepresented on screen, could have been made instead of this?"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jungle Book was good minus the terrible child actor.

I thought Beauty and the Best was good.

Cinderella... I know i watched... But I remember nothing about it.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    The genie stuff is the best part of that trailer

I did not expect that

i always expect will smith to be the best part of everything he is in

expect

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I've seen Jungle Book. My takeaway at the end was, "they did fine with what they had but this does so little to set itself apart from the last time they made this movie that I can't help but consider how much money was spent on this and how many other movies could have been made. How many projects from people of color or queer people, stories and people who are vastly underrepresented on screen, could have been made instead of this?"

I mean, you could ask this of any movie and come away with the same answer. If that's the bar, nothing is going to clear it, because no creative effort is "worth" the exclusion of those voices.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What about Bright

• Options
    edited March 2019
    cursedking wrote: »

I mean, you could ask this of any movie and come away with the same answer. If that's the bar, nothing is going to clear it, because no creative effort is "worth" the exclusion of those voices.

Not any movie, just the ones made by Disney and their ilk. And it should be asked a lot more often quite frankly. We should challenge the people who hold power because when we don't they abuse that power. Media may seem like a superficial place to do it but it's really not. It shapes so much of our society and on a more direct level, represents a massive number of jobs. Who's getting in, who gets to make stuff, that matters.

As a recent example, Crazy Rich Asians is a movie that 100% absolutely is worth making. A big budget, large scale box office success made by and for Asian and Asian in diaspora folx? That's the kind of shit we should be getting and the kind of shit that's constantly getting passed over in favor of facile media junk food.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Crazy Rich Asians is a story about beautiful rich people in love, it's cool that it's about Asian culture for once I'm pretty sure that's still "junk food".

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Crazy Rich Asians is a story about beautiful rich people in love, it's cool that it's about Asian culture for once I'm pretty sure that's still "junk food".

Junk food movies are good! The fact that it's just a movie about beautiful rich people in love is actually one of its strengths, if you ask me.

It's the difference between media junk food and facile media junk food, y'know?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    The import of Crazy Rich Asians is not the story itself, it's who got to tell that story. It's a huge deal that Asian people got to make a story about Asian people, that fact alone justifies that movie and its success can potentially pave the way for more stories from non-white creators. And even if it is about beautiful rich people in love, it's got a lot to say about being an Asian in diaspora in ways that are relatable to folks, much like how white people can find relatable commentary on their life experiences from gestures wildly at essentially all of media. Minorities deserve to have their own junk food and junk food has a place in the grocery store, to torture the metaphor. It's just, we can and should spend less time making junk food for cis white heterosexuals, who have an embarrassment of choice available to them already, and start producing more food of all sorts for everyone else.

Like this shit ain't black and white simple but it's not hard to understand either.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also, while I'm still not interested in the Aladdin movie for, y'know, reasons, I thought that trailer was pretty good (based almost entirely on Will Smith's performance, but hey, it's true to the original in that). I think some of that TV show aesthetic is actually from all of the bright colors that they're using, particularly in their clothing elements, and honestly I like the look of it a lot.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I thought the Pete's Dragon live action was very good.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular

That’s because David Patrick Lowery is very, very good. And he springboarded off of that to make A Ghost Story, which rules.

Which is probably the best part of good indie directors taking on big projects like that. I don’t have high hopes for Chloe Zhao thriving under the MCU, but if it helps her get more projects off the ground, that’s a very good thing.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I completely forgot this happened until right now

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Yeah I actually don't know much about the Pete's Dragon live action movie. Like, at all. Did people like it? How different was it?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    It feels nothing like the other Disney live action stuff. It’s no masterpiece or anything, but it’s also not a blatant cash grab. It’s definitely worth watching.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I think Dumbo looks fine, which is why I expect it to do worse than their other live action remakes when it comes out in 2 weeks

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dumbo looks like someone put some effort in. Aladdin looks awful, although Smith seems like he'll be pretty good. I hated Beauty & The Beast, literally couldn't make it past the first five minutes of The Jungle Book and thought Cinderella was fine I guess who cares about Cinderella

• Options
    Tube you sound just like some sort of wicked step-family-member there

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dumbo is just about the only one of these remakes that makes any sense to me

of all of them, it's the story that has the most problems to fix

Aladdin and Lion King had some casting issues to address but they certainly didn't prioritize it like they should have

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They did a live-action Cinderella?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »

they did, with Lily James. It's really pretty. I liked it quite a bit, and my wife adores it.

Edit: It's also done with like a faux twenties/art deco-ish style mixed with more classic fairy tale setting style that I really liked.

cursedking on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Like, what even is this style?? I don't know, but I love it and Cate Blanchett murders it
    wh9ss2byis7d.jpg

cursedking on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I think Cinderella didn't have much substance but its a fuckin stunning movie to look at

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I would say that it is more of a 19th century thing, not quite that far forward

The costume design for Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast were both very good, probably their major redeeming feature

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yeah I actually don't know much about the Pete's Dragon live action movie. Like, at all. Did people like it? How different was it?

David Lowery has a real talent for low key movies brimming with emotion and they tend to look like David Gordon Green movies circa 2002, there's a real lived in feel with a tinge of magical realism, like you feel like you can see gold sparkling in the sunlight.

And he just made Pete's Dragon one of his movies, it almost kinda feels like he snuck one by Disney. I don't believe it did very well.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Pete's Dragon is kinda the perfect mark for a remake really. Go with flawed but fondly remembered hidden gems every time I say.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think the only truly stand-out feature of Cinderella was Cate Blanchett.

She's so good in it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    the most important part of Pete's Dragon is that it gave us The Old Man and the Gun, because of Redford and the director's relationship.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Exactly

• Options
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Dumbo remake will include the depressing child abuse of the original.

Also live action Dumbo doesn't look cute at all.

That Aladdin trailer looks bad and boring.

Um... Disney smells.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Frank Oz has been added to the cast of Rian Johnson's Knives Out

This discussion has been closed.