As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Instead, it notifies a team of people at Valve, who'll then go and investigate.

Holy fucking shit, that took Valve 16 years to figure out. :razz:

I probably would have started with, "Notifies team of people at Valve when game with 'Rape' in title is uploaded to store," but, hey, I guess you have to take progress where you can.

You just want to preemptively thwart my plans to remake "The California Raisins: the Grape Escape."

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Stop making me want to play FC5, I never even finished 3 or played 4!

I saw some complaint about it earlier where
    you get automatically abducted and you have to escape your kidnappers
    in a "worst levels of 2018" video (which I almost 100% disagreed with). And that part made me want to play it all the more.

I'd say it would be less annoying if it didn't keep happening to your player characters throughout the series. Often multiple times in a game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Are we still getting "take away all your toys now what do you do?" stages? Really?

Hands down the worst stage designs.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Are we still getting "take away all your toys now what do you do?" stages? Really?

What are you talking about? Tossing your handgun on the dashboard of your escape vehicle is a perfectly normal thing to do when being chased by shadow creatures!

edited March 2019

In at least some of the cases you're not stripped of your weapons once the cutscenes are over. And most of your power in the modern Far Cry games comes from your ability unlocks more than the weapons so you're not exactly stripped of power because you have to use automatic weapon G instead of your preferred automatic weapon B which is in itself a bit damning.

But it's the sheer number of times your character gets bamboozled like they have the situational awareness of a stick of butter despite having survived for hours sneaking through enemy territory and evading predators that gets old. There's an entire set of side missions in 4 that rely on the character repeatedly getting injected or spiked with hallucinogenic drugs by the same quest givers at the start of each mission that I viewed not being able to just shoot them and throw their remains to the animals as a serious design flaw.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    5 has story readings that make sense for it happening but they happen in thr middle of other missions or actions. I was literally in the air, wingsuiting with nobody around and it fades to black, right into a capture sequence. Bizarre in an otherwise great game.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    A member from another forum I hang around, with far higher technical knowledge than I will ever have, checked this on his PC. He found out that the Epic Launcher would look for files once every 1 minute. Within a time frame of just 4 minutes, the launcher performed more than 2 milion actions:
    Most if those actions were either data deliveries or reads of files which would include the "Steam" key word. That included files from a game he is planning to release on Steam or files from the web browser in case he had previously visited Steam.
    Self quoting myself to give some further detail since the guy (who turned out to be a profesional soft developer) gave away some additional data this afternoon about his tests:
    • Within the first 30 seconds after loading, the Epic client executed more than 80,000 processes on his laptop. That included reading data from his Steam installation, like saved games or the friendlist even if he had added no friends on the Epic client or had not given permission to import contacts from his Steam friendlist. As a reference, he mentioned that Steam, GOG or Uplay clients when loading would not execute more than 10.000 proceses on his laptop within the same time frame.
    • File reads repeat every 1 minute. It does not matter wherever you have any games installed on a particular unit or hard drive or not, the Epic client will access the drive to search what it is inside. In this guy's case, it collected info from some projects he is working on that included the "Steam" word somewhere within their code:
    LHTeKzj.jpg
    • The client also searchs for information related to Unity. You know, Unreal Engine's rival:
    DNczDhn.jpg
    • The client sends data packets continuously. Most of them are just simple pings in order to check the Internet connection. There are bigger data packets that are sent every minute but he is not sure yet about what their content is:
    urKD41E.jpg

HiT BiT on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    JFC, Epic.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Grim Dawn now has multiplayer crossplay between the Steam and GOG versions of the game as long as both are playing the same version number (v1.1.0.0 and future updates).

HiT BiT on

What are you talking about? Tossing your handgun on the dashboard of your escape vehicle is a perfectly normal thing to do when being chased by shadow creatures!

Alan Wake was a fucking moron.

In at least some of the cases you're not stripped of your weapons once the cutscenes are over. And most of your power in the modern Far Cry games comes from your ability unlocks more than the weapons so you're not exactly stripped of power because you have to use automatic weapon G instead of your preferred automatic weapon B which is in itself a bit damning.

But it's the sheer number of times your character gets bamboozled like they have the situational awareness of a stick of butter despite having survived for hours sneaking through enemy territory and evading predators that gets old. There's an entire set of side missions in 4 that rely on the character repeatedly getting injected or spiked with hallucinogenic drugs by the same quest givers at the start of each mission that I viewed not being able to just shoot them and throw their remains to the animals as a serious design flaw.

At least it's not some "set back to zero", so you at least have some of your progress to fall back on. Still, I'm not sure who enjoys those stages, TBH.

Now, it does sound like "kidnap victim" should be on the FarCry protag resumes, and that sounds as stupid as any other style of this stage, but it could also be far, far worse.

At least it's not some "set back to zero", so you at least have some of your progress to fall back on. Still, I'm not sure who enjoys those stages, TBH.

Now, it does sound like "kidnap victim" should be on the FarCry protag resumes, and that sounds as stupid as any other style of this stage, but it could also be far, far worse.

Narratively it starts to reflect badly on some of the villains too. At some point they should realize that capturing and taunting the guy that keeps stabbing his way out and destroying your bases from the inside out is just not working out for them.

Steam Profile

Narratively it starts to reflect badly on some of the villains too. At some point they should realize that capturing and taunting the guy that keeps stabbing his way out and destroying your bases from the inside out is just not working out for them.

I haven't gotten to play any but Blood Dragon, and in Blood Dragon it works because, hey, it's 1980s stupid. But as a regular mechanic it does reflect poorly on the mechanical and narrative framework.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I think that was what frustrated me most with Wolfenstein New order I realize they were supposed to be new "missions" but it just felt like they were resetting my cool weapons far too often

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    JFC, Epic.

I feel like at this point, if Epic was a person, they'd be in court for stalking multiple subjects.

I mean, that feels genuinely creepy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I just noticed something.

Xe5iwfp.png

I guess it's time to make the big decision....

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Xe5iwfp.png

Hurry before someone makes it for you!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Xe5iwfp.png

We would never...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Xe5iwfp.png

We would never...

Never Ever.

steam_sig.png

Xe5iwfp.png

Too late, Bourgeoisie oppressors already dictate my library contents.
    P4qnEVK.png

Thanks @destroyah87

Xe5iwfp.png

We would never...

Xe5iwfp.png

We would never...

Never Ever.

Suggestion: https://store.steampowered.com/app/453980/Airstrike_HD/

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    A member from another forum I hang around, with far higher technical knowledge than I will ever have, checked this on his PC. He found out that the Epic Launcher would look for files once every 1 minute. Within a time frame of just 4 minutes, the launcher performed more than 2 milion actions:
    Most if those actions were either data deliveries or reads of files which would include the "Steam" key word. That included files from a game he is planning to release on Steam or files from the web browser in case he had previously visited Steam.
    Self quoting myself to give some further detail since the guy (who turned out to be a profesional soft developer) gave away some additional data this afternoon about his tests:
    • Within the first 30 seconds after loading, the Epic client executed more than 80,000 processes on his laptop. That included reading data from his Steam installation, like saved games or the friendlist even if he had added no friends on the Epic client or had not given permission to import contacts from his Steam friendlist. As a reference, he mentioned that Steam, GOG or Uplay clients when loading would not execute more than 10.000 proceses on his laptop within the same time frame.
    • File reads repeat every 1 minute. It does not matter wherever you have any games installed on a particular unit or hard drive or not, the Epic client will access the drive to search what it is inside. In this guy's case, it collected info from some projects he is working on that included the "Steam" word somewhere within their code:
    LHTeKzj.jpg
    • The client also searchs for information related to Unity. You know, Unreal Engine's rival:
    DNczDhn.jpg
    • The client sends data packets continuously. Most of them are just simple pings in order to check the Internet connection. There are bigger data packets that are sent every minute but he is not sure yet about what their content is:
    urKD41E.jpg

So the launcher is literally Spyware. But rather than spying on the user which is the usual way, the user is letting them spy in their competitors.

Someone in the US needs to start a class action or something.

-Loki- on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Someone brought up that since it's aquiring information without asking first, it might violate GDPR.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Man, sad reason why Dwarf Fortress is finally coming to Steam.

tl;dr - The makers can't afford healthcare. :/

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I just want someone to give me the URL it's sending, so I can add it to my PiHole blacklist.

And then uninstall the launcher

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Well, at least they didn't start cooking meth...

Guess I'll throw some money their way. I haven't touched it in years, but it was really awesome.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • VikingViking Registered User regular

saw this a few days ago, 100% buying the game on steam to offer what little support I can.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Julian Gollop sent out an announcement to pledges of his new x-com type game Phoenix Point this week that it will exclusively be hosted on the Epic storefront for the entire first year of release, and that pledges will get DLC for free for this first year.

So after reading into this a little, it looks like they originally offered backers a release on GOG or Steam, then moneyhat, then they added this shitty FAQ answer:
    I really wanted the game on Steam or GOG.com. What can I do?
    Whichever delivery option you had originally opted for, we’re still positive that you will have a fantastic experience with Phoenix Point on the Epic Games Launcher.

Then they backtracked to giving it to backers on Steam/GOG again, just after the year exclusivity, and they were offering refunds from the first announcement—which must not have been too taxing since apparently one of them said that Epic paid them enough that they'd still be in the black after 100% refunds.

With money like that it's understandable why any studio would take the safety net over the risk, but man is it shitty to take a bunch of backers' money offering one thing and then switch it after a buyout by a publisher (which crowdfunding is aimed at avoiding or mitigating in the first place).

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    is it shitty or is it called "i need to pay the rent"?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    is it shitty or is it called "i need to pay the rent"?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Jesus I'm so glad I hesitated on backing their Fig fundraiser.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm curious what kind of sales Epic are expecting the game to get to fully fund the studio for a year. Phoenix Point, going by the backer builds I was able to access, was shaping up very well. But turn based squad tactics games are still pretty niche. IIRC it took Xcom 2 a year to make 800k sales, which had the benefit of being the revivial of a much loved franchise and the sequel to a well received game. Julian Gollop might have a name for himself among the much older gamer crowd (for starting the aforementioned franchise), but only if they were into those games in the first place, and the creators name doesn't hold as much weight for the masses as the franchise itself. Add to that self destructing his name to the younger crowd by screwing them over after taking their money, I'm not even seeing Xcom 2 levels of sales coming.

-Loki- on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Julian Gollop sent out an announcement to pledges of his new x-com type game Phoenix Point this week that it will exclusively be hosted on the Epic storefront for the entire first year of release, and that pledges will get DLC for free for this first year.

So after reading into this a little, it looks like they originally offered backers a release on GOG or Steam, then moneyhat, then they added this shitty FAQ answer:
    I really wanted the game on Steam or GOG.com. What can I do?
    Whichever delivery option you had originally opted for, we’re still positive that you will have a fantastic experience with Phoenix Point on the Epic Games Launcher.

Then they backtracked to giving it to backers on Steam/GOG again, just after the year exclusivity, and they were offering refunds from the first announcement—which must not have been too taxing since apparently one of them said that Epic paid them enough that they'd still be in the black after 100% refunds.

With money like that it's understandable why any studio would take the safety net over the risk, but man is it shitty to take a bunch of backers' money offering one thing and then switch it after a buyout by a publisher (which crowdfunding is aimed at avoiding or mitigating in the first place).

Yeah, but even a refund still gave them an interest free loan. Epic didn't fund them when there was no game, the actual risk was run by the backers.

That's what's really shitty about this.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I still say SMB, the first 2 RE movies, and the first mortal kombat movies are fine films.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DOA is... well, I'm not going to say "good" exactly, but it's easily one of the most fun video game movies.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There wasn't anything wrong with Need for Speed. That doesn't make it a good movie but it does make it a good video game movie.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    DOA is... well, I'm not going to say "good" exactly, but it's easily one of the most fun video game movies.

Yeah it's not a good movie, but it's definitely a good adaptation of the series, in that it knows exactly what it wants to be and has a good time indulging in its self-aware idiocy

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I had fun playing with their page, but yeah they really do make a lot assumptions about all video game movies sucking. Heck I know a lot of nongamers who love the Resident Evil series. Even some who liked the first Tomb Raider movie (although I have to wonder if it was because of Jolie and less that it was a video game movie).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There wasn't anything wrong with Need for Speed. That doesn't make it a good movie but it does make it a good video game movie.

I enjoyed the NfS movie because I wanted to see a bunch of car chases and stunts. I didn't expect a deep experience. I didn't get one.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia movies were satisfying to me as well.

This discussion has been closed.