As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Oh and of course this gush about her before all this happened from the Calgary Herald (post media)...
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-from-human-rights-to-film-to-politics-caylan-ford-is-a-force-of-nature

Licia Corbella is a piece of shit of the highest order and a UCP hack.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Richy wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Québec provincial budget is in! Still going over it, but highlights include a budget surplus somewhere between $2B and $5B, depending on who you ask, and plans to stay in the black for their entire mandate. There's a new pilot program to help driving schools move to electric vehicles, which according to the electric-car advocates in my newsfeed will greatly speed up transition to electric cars because "once you drive an electric car, you can't go back to fuel". Also a new service to facilitate access to government databanks for researchers, which is good news because, frankly, Québec has been lagging in that respect compared to other provinces.

Light Googling says that Quebec has a right(ish) wing government? What's the catch here?

They are right-wing, but not alt-right. They're akin to the PC of olden days.

Aren't they still keeping tabs on government employees that show religious affiliations?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-religious-symbols-1.4995774

I feel it's not crosses they are worried about.

Good old QC Xenophobia is alive and well and to call it "Not Alt-Right" is a joke.

Every time I go back the amount of casual racism thrown around still shocks me.

Edit: This little nugget is not talked about much either.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/caq-will-proceed-with-quebec-immigration-reform-despite-legal-setback

Disco11 on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Two bad calls by the CAQ, though I should point out, on the first one, they weren't "keeping tabs" on anyone but asking for statistics, and on the second one they picked a ridiculous way to deal with the immigration backlog but they didn't cause the backlog.

As for "not being worried about crosses", it's funny you should mention that the same week Montreal's municipal government removed the crucifix from their assembly room. With the second opposition party already calling for removing the one in the National Assembly, the movement is gaining momentum, and I hope the CAQ will take notice. Secularism is not xenophobia.

sig.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The driver of the truck that hit the Humboldt Broncos bus was sentenced to 8 years

Whether or not that is enough or if it is too much is a question no one has an actual answer for.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The driver of the truck that hit the Humboldt Broncos bus was sentenced to 8 years

Whether or not that is enough or if it is too much is a question no one has an actual answer for.

Compare it to other dangerous driving cases. Most of that sentence is for being unlucky enough to hit a bus instead of a car. The guy who killed only four people and lied about it got 6 years.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    He’s also likely to be deported, but not until he’s served at least some of his sentence. Deportation cases serve their sentence until they’re granted a release by the Parole Board, at which time they’re deported.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

He showed contrition and plead guilty.

I think the horrors he has to live with is going to be a life long sentence....

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Dear Ontario doctors and teachers: British Columbia is currently experiencing a severe shortage of doctors and teachers. A doctor could move to Abbotsford and have a completely full practice the next day.

We have ocean and mountains. They're cool.

I really need a family doctor, come flee Ford!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

He showed contrition and plead guilty.

I think the horrors he has to live with is going to be a life long sentence....

I'm disappointed he's being hit so hard with the punishment... I wonder if it's just the law enforcement trying to avoid looking like they're going easy on him because "politically correct, hur dur" so they're giving him a raw deal. Even though the families were mostly accepting of his apology the general pop of AB/SK would likely revolt if he were given even a hint of a lighter sentence :sad:

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I mean his negligence killed 16 people...
    I don't think 8 years with parole potential is egregious here.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I think it's the deportation that bothers me more... I dunno man. Not in law enforcement, dunno what negligence of this magnitude normally costs a person. Again, at least he was remorseful and plead guilty.

Edit: Some cursory research shows that immigrants convicted of a sentence with a maximum penalty greater than 10 years, or serves a sentence longer than 6 months (!!!) are basically guaranteed gone. I assumed the deportation was part of his sentence, but this is just how the law is structured.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I think deportation sucks too. It's one of those "non citizen does a crime, get them out" laws though.
    In some circumstances I'd agree with that. In this one?
    I dunno.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I mean his negligence killed 16 people...
    I don't think 8 years with parole potential is egregious here.

Most people who ignore stop signs get no punishment at all, because they don't get caught. Most people who get caught ignoring stop signs get fined somewhere in the 3-digit range, because nothing really bad happened. Most people who kill someone through dangerous driving get a couple years at most. Here's one:
    I find that in this case a short period of incarceration followed by two years of supervised probation with a significant community service component is appropriate and proportional considering the moral blameworthiness of Carleton and the need for an element of deterrence in this sentence. The period of incarceration is 30 days. Although the period of incarceration is short, any period in a correctional institution is significant for a youthful first offender. Combining incarceration with substantial community service will not only result in a proportionate and deterrent sentence, but one that will serve restorative justice and rehabilitative ends.

Or look at the list:
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Sentencing/Cases/Dangerous_Operation_of_a_Motor_Vehicle

The one guy on the list who got a longer sentence (life) had 168 priors and a pile of aggravating circumstances. Two or three years would have been entirely in line with those kinds of sentences. One would have been reasonable. As I mentioned earlier, the guy who lied about it and kept protesting that he'd done nothing wrong through the trial got six. This guy would probably have had something like that if he had the good fortune to hit a sedan. Or a truck. Or anything else that can't fit 30 people. Instead he gets maybe six extra years in prison.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that Sidhu will probably be granted Day Parole, if he applies for it, at which point he will be given a free one-way ticket back to India. He'll probably only be incarcerated for two and a half years or so.

He's essentially a no-risk offender and any parole officer who knows how to do their job properly would have no problem recommending that he be granted a parole release.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Are you arguing that those other sentences are better or what he should have gotten or are you just Pissed that we let other people off with less?

Like, when should we set this precedent?

• Options
    Are you arguing that those other sentences are better or what he should have gotten or are you just Pissed that we let other people off with less?

I'm saying the sentence is excessive. People should be punished for what they actually do and not given a huge multiplier for a one-in-a-million occurrence.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

I'm saying the sentence is excessive. People should be punished for what they actually do and not given a huge multiplier for a one-in-a-million occurrence.

I disagree that it's excessive, I think the previous and other sentences are too lenient.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

I disagree that it's excessive, I think the previous and other sentences are too lenient.

He's not going to have some kind of epiphany in the last half - or first half, for that matter - of his sentence. People aren't going to change their driving behavior because he got 8 years instead of 2. This guy isn't a menace to society - what he did was stupid but not malicious. Would a 2-year prison term and lifetime driving ban be good enough? There goes your repeat offender opportunity.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I guess it depends on what our goals are when it comes to prison.

If reckless driving resulted in longer sentences, do you believe people would drive less recklessly? Because I don't, because no one thinks they're going to go to prison when they blow through a stop sign, so it really doesn't matter how long the sentences are.

So, next is, do you believe he's a dangerous offender who shouldn't be released? I don't, this was obviously a mistake, one he's owned up to and taken responsibility for.

So the last is, do you want to wield our justice system as an implementation of vengeance? Then yeah, I guess longer sentences would make sense.

I'd rather not abandon our humanity, though.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, Ontario. While Doug Ford is busy cutting autism support programs, increasing class sizes, and is about to super duper fuck up the medical plan, he's at least spending 10 million dollars on horse racing.

Fair trade, right?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Don't worry, Ontario. While Doug Ford is busy cutting autism support programs, increasing class sizes, and is about to super duper fuck up the medical plan, he's at least spending 10 million dollars on horse racing.

Fair trade, right?

At this point, I think he’s seen the guillotine memes and is actively daring people to try something.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Fair trade, right?

Buck

A

Beer

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

If reckless driving resulted in longer sentences, do you believe people would drive less recklessly? Because I don't, because no one thinks they're going to go to prison when they blow through a stop sign, so it really doesn't matter how long the sentences are.

So, next is, do you believe he's a dangerous offender who shouldn't be released? I don't, this was obviously a mistake, one he's owned up to and taken responsibility for.

So the last is, do you want to wield our justice system as an implementation of vengeance? Then yeah, I guess longer sentences would make sense.

I don't know if he's a dangerous offender, I'm not a lawyer or a judge.

"no one thinks they're going to prison when they do X" is true for a lot of things we have laws and sentences for. Why have prison at all when I'm sorry works?

I'm ok with the judges sentence on this one and the next time someone is inattentive driving and kills someone or multiple someone's I'd like to not see them back on the road 18 months later.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Fair trade, right?

At this point, I think he’s seen the guillotine memes and is actively daring people to try something.

Nah, this is one of those things the government does that people yell about because it sounds bad when you don't know anything about the issue but the headline. When they say "money for horse racing" what they actually mean is "money to support the horse racing industry, which employs an entire ecosystem of horse-breeding and care and so on". So breeders (ie - horse farmers), vets, trainers, riders, stables, the people who run all the various programs that administer the horsey industry. From what I remember being told by my friends who are in or adjacent to the industry, the whole thing basically needs some government funding to be in the black and keep everything running.

shryke on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Fair trade, right?

Nah, this is one of those things the government does that people yell about because it sounds bad when you don't know anything about the issue but the headline. When they say "money for horse racing" what they actually mean is "money to support the horse racing industry, which employs an entire ecosystem of horse-breeding and care and so on". So breeders (ie - horse farmers), vets, trainers, riders, stables, the people who run all the various programs that administer the horsey industry. From what I remember being told by my friends who are in or adjacent to the industry, the whole thing basically needs some government funding to be in the black and keep everything running.

I’m sure the competitive horse industry needs money too, but I feel like you skipped something important when racing to defend it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Fair trade, right?

I’m sure the competitive horse industry needs money too, but I feel like you skipped something important when racing to defend it.

What did I skip?

Like, it's an industry that supports a bunch of jobs in Ontario. It is not at all strange or surprising that the government is throwing money their way. And yet people in this thread are acting like it is because it's one of those things that sounds silly when you just read the headline.

• Options
    Well, increasing class sizes means that a fuckton of teachers are going to lose their jobs, but yay horses I guess.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Dear Ontario doctors and teachers: British Columbia is currently experiencing a severe shortage of doctors and teachers. A doctor could move to Abbotsford and have a completely full practice the next day.

We have ocean and mountains. They're cool.

I really need a family doctor, come flee Ford!

We can split the doctors between the two coasts. Ontario's a big province, there's probably enough to go around.

Just saying. Any Toronto doctors who are interested in a house or two in Cape Breton for the cost of their share of the rent in a Toronto apartment.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    It'd be nice if the government was able to help the equine industry and teachers. 10 million in the context of ON doesn't seem like a lot of money honestly. That is especially true if the gambling revenue is $100+ million a year.

Seems like an amazing headline to distract people from the class size bullshit though so mission accomplished CBC.

• Options
    Well, increasing class sizes means that a fuckton of teachers are going to lose their jobs, but yay horses I guess.

That might have been a good point if it was actually one or the other. But it's not.

I don't even think $10 million is much anyway. A quick google suggests the budget for education in 2018 was $29.1 billion.

• Options
    Yeah like, a wildly successful industry that can’t run without government aid sounds either shady or spectacularly mismanaged.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Yeah like, a wildly successful industry that can’t run without government aid sounds either shady or spectacularly mismanaged.

What makes you think it's wildly successful?

• Options

My hunch would be the actual businesses involved can have some challenges and the gambling money gets sucked out wholesale by the government just like it does in BC.
    I'm not a horse person though.

I'm a regular person.
    Not that I have anything against Centaur though...

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

"no one thinks they're going to prison when they do X" is true for a lot of things we have laws and sentences for. Why have prison at all when I'm sorry works?

I'm ok with the judges sentence on this one and the next time someone is inattentive driving and kills someone or multiple someone's I'd like to not see them back on the road 18 months later.

He doesn't have to be in jail to be off the road. You could give him a driving ban. This is purely vengeance. We should be better than that.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »

He doesn't have to be in jail to be off the road. You could give him a driving ban. This is purely vengeance. We should be better than that.

I don't agree nor does the judge.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    It does seem overly harsh for the circumstances. A lot of people being dead or seriously injured was probably the main aggravating factor, however.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I have noticed a rise in blatant rascism for foreign truck drivers since the crash.

• Options
    Any reason to hate Johnny foreigner I guess.

• Options
    While I'd love to think we were above it, sadly racism is alive and well in Canada.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Hey, I have some political news;
    There's a provincial by-election here in Nova Scotia. The riding of Sackville-Cobequid, which has gone NDP for the last 35 years. It's been over a decade since the PCs even finished 2nd here. It's a riding with a lot of union workers and a lot of teachers. The new NDP candidate is literally a teacher. I already know I'll be voting NDP. The PC candidate is the municipal candidate I've voted for twice. Sorry bud.

The entire reason I'm not cynical about politics today is probably because I grew up in ridings, federally and provincially, represented by NDP candidates who believed in what they were running on. I guess the point of this post is, best of luck to the democratic process?

TubularLuggage on
This discussion has been closed.