As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm in a DOODLIN' Mood

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I did the character design challenge on facebook this month. Topic was mouse warrior (!!! yes please) - this is Pomme and their trusty Hawkmoth, Fleur

tz7tprbh8ytt.jpg

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I love the design on the banner!

• Options
    Spent a bunch of time today on a dumb joke my wife and I have had ongoing for a couple years now...

F.L.A.P.R.S - a women's mecha search and rescue squadron that for some reason is 1920s flapper themed. I can't even remember how it started

ouxghms1ujrz.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Sketched some more Pokémon aliens last night:

xkdu6ta6taew.jpg
    11tvqnon2t4m.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    Doing this month's character design challlenge as well, theme is 'Caveman'

This is Cave, she's her tribe's hunter (very effective) as well as her tribe's shelter

1u59m3nbemcg.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This page is filled with Awesome

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    This page is filled with Awesome

Wow, and I only just now noticed the compliment Warwick Davis threw at DMAC! That's awesome.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    A little Dobby to kick off a new sketchbook.

hp9vgyurcuks.jpg

• Options
    Drink & Draw sketch of Count Chocula from last night.

rx73ecsnhdzf.jpg

• Options
    I got knocked out of my study routine due to getting snowed in for the last week and a half with a toddler.
    At first I felt awful that I wasn't studying the 2 hours per day that I had been doing prior to that, but I realized that I just needed to pick myself up and start again from a smaller starting point.
    It really did feel like trying to go back to the gym after not going for a month!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    Drink & Draw sketch of Count Chocula from last night.

rx73ecsnhdzf.jpg

Does count chocula not drink blood because his vampirism fucked up the wrong teeth?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    count chocula is not the blood kinda vampire

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Count Chocula is what you might call a Jianghershi.

• Options
    Giving away this Buzz Lightyear sketch on my Instagram to celebrate hitting 30K followers.

rsyhvp40qnx0.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    That is such a rad Buzz Lightyear!

mageormike on
  • Options
    *Sorry for the double post!

52784472_179112399736323_933012882629591040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=db3a420bb038911163542716432d7fc7&oe=5D2406CE

I've been kind of slow on the art posts the last several weeks, and the snow really did throw me off my routine. However, I still managed to get some studying done!
    The main thing I wanted to work on was value/tone/shading, and discovered that it was difficult in an entirely different way than with the drawing skills I've been practicing thus far
    !
    My first attempt was muddy-and-not-dark-enough, showing that I had a very poor understanding of the materials that I was working with. So! I spent another couple weeks just trying to figure out how Graphite and Charcoal work, and took extensive notes on Light and Values. My second and third attempts were during and after this process.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    ky1ncifu7fhv.jpg
    b6b58lryymnb.jpg

got rpg chars on the brain

• Options
    Starting March of Robots 2019 with a robot Grookey.

ju88vcuzdl1q.jpg

• Options
    First art post in a couple weeks:

I've been pretty consistent with my studies, even though I haven't taken much time to post about them. I feel as though my grasp of both the materials I'm using and my understanding of light is getting better with each piece. I still have a long way to go, but this is a quick snapshot of my progress over the last month.

53853816_184819775832252_3968619978449485824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=25462add819aa7db681f0ee5a7d9d736&oe=5D20F7C4
    Things I need to watch out for:

1. Edges. What are they?
    2. My gradients could be a little more clear in the light-side.
    3. I wasn't going dark enough in the shadows previously, and now I think that is also the case for the halftones.

I'm also finally drawing every day. I had been taking the weekend off, but that frequently ended up with me falling out of practice and having to frustratingly restart the habit from the ground up.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I decided to try practicing drawing hands

Figure if I'm going to start actually learning to draw something with any sense of like... Proprtion? I should

A: start small
    B: start with something expressive or dynamic but less intimidating than a Face
    C: something that I usually skim over entirely

• Options
  • Options
    I made this primitive shape snakeman using just a mouse, I guess to prove I could?

KrcdVRz.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

awesome, maybe I'll check it out soon

I feel like a lot of proko videos go way too fast or over my head usually though.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

awesome, maybe I'll check it out soon

I feel like a lot of proko videos go way too fast or over my head usually though.

It's definitely worth pausing from time to time and just doing a study of what's on screen.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I spend a ton of time just taking notes and rewinding. You can’t really internalize it all in one watch through.

• Options
    Rewinding and taking notes are not skills I am very practiced with, or staying on task and not clicking on another video when I get frustrated or distracted.

That said I drew a few more hands on paper today.

Going to try to get some in on my tablet here shortly.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So
    I can't draw. And I thought man, I enjoyed drawing and doodling once, maybe I should get into it, so I looked at tutorials, and came upon this:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170827061950/http://www.colourcow.com/picasso-exercise/

And here's my result, which shocked me:
    yn1fspyboio1.jpg
    (sorry for the potato cam, my phone got stolen and this is an old-ass thing that has to do for now)

What is super interesting to me is that while it's still not good, it is way better than what I could have produced if I were to just draw a person. I think that whole "shapes, not symbols" thing might be correct? Why have I never heard of that before? Is that something people are familiar with?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    One of the major skills of drawing is simplifying complex objects into more-understandable shapes and internalizing them in such a way that they can be reproduced.
    A head is a ball with the sides cut off and a box for the jaw, the arm is a cylinder, etc.

I still sometimes have a hard time getting away from the symbols that I've had since childhood.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Yeah it's weird, I kind of know that already, but it never really clicked until this exercise and the rest of that blog entry I feel. Crazy!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Sometimes it takes several times of revisiting something before it finally clicks. I know that I have to keep going back to old books and tutorials, and I tend to learn something new almost every time.

• Options
    I'll use the site I linked earlier, and drawabox.com has been recommended. I'll be sure to check in with progress!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Proko uploaded a video yesterday about making painterly drawings in Photoshop and it was very helpful! I painted a self-portrait this evening.

tumblr_pp5wejgeuP1twpgv4o1_1280.pnj

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    7t144nkw25bf.jpeg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    SHAPED LIKE A FRIEND

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I got partway through doodlin a frietza and got bored
    rvwc201cbica.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    Proko uploaded a video yesterday about making painterly drawings in Photoshop and it was very helpful! I painted a self-portrait this evening.

[img][/img]

That's photoshop?? What input device did you use? That really looks like regular paint!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I really like the frieza pose

And the guts pose with the sword behind him

I should practice drawing those poses

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

[img][/img]

That's photoshop?? What input device did you use? That really looks like regular paint!

I used a display tablet (by Yiynova). The trick is to use streaky photoshop brushes, not use layers, and not zoom in.