As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Mayday wrote: »
    I set my pants on fire with a pot of super glue. It's probably my most amusing modeling mishap story.

Liar!

Oh man this is subtle. :+1:

One can have conflagurating trousers and be truthful! See for yourself! Take a large amount of cyanoacrylate and apply directly to denim! Science fun for everyone!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok a kind of painting disaster
    I feel it's not for everyone so be warned
    I was sitting on a futon cushion that was on the floor cross legged putting together some eldar guardians
    I was cutting them free with a xacto knife putting them together with plastic glue and onto the next. I got a phone call so I put down the knife. I was asked by someone at the time if I wanted to come to dinner with them. so I got up quickly and sunk in knife deep into my right calf past the screw collar. I an idiot pulled it out since I had no idea what to do next I got out the sewing kit and sewed the wound shut with generic string. It looked bad for weeks after all deep bruise purple and sore.

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Son of Rambo, starring Brainleech

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I cannot subscribe to this cult of purple when orange is right there. Orange is a bit of a pain to highlight though.

In other news I finished the leader for my kill team/intercessor sergeant. I had been using one of the sergeants from the dark imperium box but they don't come with power swords so I now have a new one.

Link to full album

qQqSQbph.jpg
    06DkJTSh.jpg
    HoZkhWIh.jpg
    8ydyyKxh.jpg
    WkeTIFIh.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Anyone have links to a good varnish tutorial? I can't seem to find one and I don't want to mess this up.

Edit: Hit my Tau with the gloss varnish. Did it at 25 PSI and I tried to make sure I didn't put too much on to any single model. I think a majority of them are going to come out good so I'm happy with that. I'll know in the morning, leaving them in the garage overnight or I might bring them inside in an hour or two, don't know yet.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Finished my Grenade Launcher Intercessor which rounds out my kill team!

sB0R2qzh.jpg
    tmEdLnsh.jpg
    dvw5nONh.jpg

F4N0RZmh.jpg
    ykfBMtMh.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Just brought in the T'au. The gloss varnish looks to have gone on very well. The color looks really good with it on. Gonna inspect them more tomorrow and if they look good I might do the pin washing already.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    My ebay dropper bottles showed up, so I swapped a couple colors in to test knowing I'd have to blend the two to try out a test paint for some ork skin.

Droppers are the light. Holy crap what an improvement. Swapping the paint over was pretty easy as well.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Im painting this hipster dude, check it. Doing his face was incredibly enjoyable!

VPQCO14.jpg

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    Did some test paints on my new orks based off of stuff I'd seen on reddit and from the speed freeks white dwarf issue last year.

Left to right:
    • The first and second are just ogryn camo, beil tan wash, more ogryn camo (one painted the other drybrushed).
    • The third and fourth the speed freeks colors and are 50/50 skarsnik green/averland sunset, bieltan wash, ogryn camo highlights, one painted the other drybrushed... one also got a green and yellow wash on his arms to see what that did
    • Five is waaagh flesh, biel tan wash, ogryn camo highlights
    • Six is averland sunset, biel tan, ogryn camo... and he looks a bit ill

C&C? Opinions?

I'm inclined to use the colors for the third and fourth... it's not to bad to batch paint and having moved my sunset and skarsnik into droppers it's pretty easy to blend and match. There's more steps in the speed freeks paintjob, but I don't know that I want to bother adding another fine edge highlight and recess wash on a big mob of boyz

Edit - uploaded better pics
    dnihtmms5eyk.jpg
    uytzpz9bpf7h.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'm just over here kicking out some Imperial Assualt commissions I'm still being underpaid for. ;P
    (Sorry about the janky lighting - it's 10:45PM here and I cannot be bothered to try and use more than my desk lamp)

b7apmi6yj0c0.jpg

• Options
    I feel so attacked by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnWzrHa_WsI

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Cheeky.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »

I'm curious what this portends

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GW Painting Service!

realistically
    Airbrushs or spraycans?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Warhammer branded airbrush compressors, one for each faction, only $149.99

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Plastic shredder

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    Well they already have spray paints. So what's left?
    Airbrush and/or dips? They already have airbrush paints.

Painting service or pre-painted minis seem counter to their mission. Maybe pre-primed minis or all kits now in colored plastic?

Curious.

I hope they don't re-release the spray gun, that thing was awful.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Perhaps they're going to start experimenting with color separation on the sprues?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Duncan clones to paint your minis.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    i would be very surprised if it wasnt their own brand of airbrushes

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Some genestealer guys I finished up for a game today.
    1D4xhlX.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options

Stragint wrote: »
    Duncan clones to paint your minis.

Duncan is a robot so

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    i would be very surprised if it wasnt their own brand of airbrushes

They had them at one time
    uvyd49sd0e7g.png

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That's not an airbrush, that's a spraygun.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s not much of a spray gun either.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Some genestealer guys I finished up for a game today.
    1D4xhlX.jpg

Lovely green scrubs

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    It’s not much of a spray gun either.

Just for those not in the know, the difference between a spraygun and an airbrush is like the difference between a tack hammer and a sledge hammer when trying to hang a picture. What the spraygun does is essentially let you spraypaint your models but you can use whatever paint you want instead of needing to buy a rattle can.

As I recall, the GW spraygun worked well enough when you hooked it to a compressor. Still overpriced compared to what you could get from Harbor Freight that would work just as well. But because GW wasn't going to start hawking compressors, they sold it with cans of compressed air to run it, and using compressed air has always been the worst choice of air supply.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    flamey dude

j8tBFTJ.jpg?1

0trWfnn.jpg?1

• Options
    The gloss varnish on my T'au looks good. No issues that I was previously worried about but it also makes me worried that maybe I didn't do the varnishing right.

They do look a lot better with the gloss varnish on. Really happy with how it turned out.

Now I need to pin wash, paint the cloth between the armor black, and figure out what to do about the guns.

Also figure out the basing. They are for kill team so I wanted an appropriate base.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I took a class on blending with Matt DiPietro. It was really cool and informative. Some of his demos looked like he was just doing magic

Here's my practice mini from the class

ukwi81319lcy.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Purple
    I finally have all my Dark Imperium and Shadowspear minis (plus some more scouts, Intercessors, Hellblasters and Aggressors) built and almost primed. I just finished the Inceptors and Suppressors and have primed one side of them, but I'm done for the night. Gonna finish priming then before work in the afternoon.

I feel like I've accomplished something.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    And now the entire new list has been built and primed. I usually, at this point, coat everything in Nuln Oil and then build all the colors back up leaving the wash in the recesses, but I'm going to paint all the red first. Then see if I can just put the wash in the recesses. Or if that proves too much, then I'll wash everything like normal.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I finished my kill team commander, Primaris Librarian man. He does not have a name yet.

LINK TO FULL ALBUM

hhmHDJph.jpg
    6eueaZth.jpg
    CNaYq7Jh.jpg
    IFZSMQBh.jpg
    0CPjJJfh.jpg
    abioM6Nh.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I actually had an idea that came to me in a dream.

I've always really liked that blue/green fade on Mymeara:

yfnh7wg.jpg

Well, my dream reminded me that I have these two metallic paints from Warcolours I originally intended to use on Infinity stuff, that just happens to be close to those blue and green shades. And I've been considering something non-traditional for my Thousand Sons...

• Options
    I like the Siam Hann
    dtrcqa0atvoo.jpg

When I started to paint them an epoch ago I only did it because NO one wanted to paint eldar red {nor did they want to do the Biel Tan} It was Alaitoc-Iyanden-Ulthwe in that order I saw people usually paint their craft worlds {outside of the oddball homebrew ones of Purple and pink but he was a silly goose} When they switched the Alaitoc from dark blue to more kind of harken back to the crazy paint jobs some eldar had during the rogue trader era
    I don't remember why the iyanden fell from favor but it was most people I can paint them black?!!! ideal that popped up with Ulthwe

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    So I actually had an idea that came to me in a dream.

I've always really liked that blue/green fade on Mymeara:

yfnh7wg.jpg

Well, my dream reminded me that I have these two metallic paints from Warcolours I originally intended to use on Infinity stuff, that just happens to be close to those blue and green shades. And I've been considering something non-traditional for my Thousand Sons...

The way Forgeworld do their Alpha Legion is probably pretty similar.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    honovere wrote: »

I think someone from this thread once mailed and asked them and got a pretty detailed PDF with their schemes.

Plenty of non-GW paints, of course.

• Options
    The paint scheme is on several sites and blogs I think. It's basically Tamiya Green and blue as a mix over silver and then blue over that from below and green from above.

Wit metallics you can probably basecoat the eldar with green and then blue from above like a zenithal highlight

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Echo wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

I think someone from this thread once mailed and asked them and got a pretty detailed PDF with their schemes.

Plenty of non-GW paints, of course.

It was me. All Tamiya.
    1. AIRBRUSH WITH THINNED TAMIYA GUN METAL
    2. AIRBRUSH FROM TOP OF MODEL WITH TAMIYA FLAT ALUMINIUM
    3. MIX A LITTLE TAMIYA CLEAR GREEN WITH TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE (25/75 MIX) AND AIRBRUSH
    OVER THE MODEL IN 2 THINNED COATS
    4. AIRBRUSH ARMOUR PANELS WITH TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE. BLENDING FROM MIDDLE OF FIGURE
    DOWN, SO THE STRONGEST BLUE COLOUR IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PANNELS
    5. AIRBRUSH FROM THE MIDDLE UPWARDS WITH TAMIYA CLEAR GREEN
    6. USING AN AIRBRUSH BLEND A HIGHLIGHT ON THE HIGHEST PANNELS (HEAD, SHOULDER PADS,
    TOP OF BACKPACK) WITH TAMIYA FLAT ALUMINIUM WITH A TINY AMOUNT OF TAMIYA SKY
    BLUE, EXTREMELY THINNED DOWN.
    7. APPLY SEVERAL TIN COATS OF TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE OVER THE HIGHLIGHT AND BLEND INTO THE
    SURROUNDING AREA.

Colored metallics are quick, but they lack a certain je ne sais quoi when compared to Tamiya clears over metallics.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.