THIS ISN'T THE TV THREAD

sometimes the tv shows movies

but do movies ever show tv

Poltergeist

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Seems like Under The Silver Lake has been pushed off even major-limited theatrical release. Straight to Amazon April 22

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Did I miss this earlier in the thread?

Apparently the footage was pretty great, and this is gonna pull the same narrative that the Blomkamp Alien film was, ignoring everything but the first two films.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Was the Killing Gunther film good

Because I remember I wanted to see that

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Did I miss this earlier in the thread?

Apparently the footage was pretty great, and this is gonna pull the same narrative that the Blomkamp Alien film was, ignoring everything but the first two films.

Probably the way to go if they actually got a good acript this time.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I finally watched The Favourite, and I have to say, I don't get it. The scene with
    the parliament dude chasing Emma Stone in the forest
    was the epitome of how I often didn't understand what the movie was even trying to do. I guess it's just too highbrow for me.

I mean
    he stumbled across her in the woods and he wanted to fuck her
    I don't think that scene was trying to be about very much else, except maybe giving us some insight into what got Emma Stone's character horny
    Okay well I realized after making that post that I thought that guy and the opposition leader were the same guy, they wore too much makeup back then...So that makes the movie make a lot more sense, so I can amend not getting it to just that the complexities of toxic romance is not relatable to me, at all. Also most of the movie is gorgeous, but chill with the fisheye lens

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Seems like Under The Silver Lake has been pushed off even major-limited theatrical release. Straight to Amazon April 22

The reviews I've read of this are SAVAGE

I really hope It Follows dude doesn't turn out to be a one trick pony, I love that movie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I'm happy because I'll get to watch it sooner.

But I'm sad because I want A24 films to all be massive successes.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Exquisite

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

i have changed my position

i want this movie to make two billion dollars

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

that's like the fake dialogue you would write to make fun of bad dialogue

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    tynic wrote: »
    I finally watched The Favourite, and I have to say, I don't get it. The scene with
    the parliament dude chasing Emma Stone in the forest
    was the epitome of how I often didn't understand what the movie was even trying to do. I guess it's just too highbrow for me.

I mean
    he stumbled across her in the woods and he wanted to fuck her
    I don't think that scene was trying to be about very much else, except maybe giving us some insight into what got Emma Stone's character horny
    Okay well I realized after making that post that I thought that guy and the opposition leader were the same guy, they wore too much makeup back then...So that makes the movie make a lot more sense, so I can amend not getting it to just that the complexities of toxic romance is not relatable to me, at all. Also most of the movie is gorgeous, but chill with the fisheye lens

I think that scene is one of the earliest indicators of people thinking that they have power over Emma Stone's character when they don't. He thinks that her sexuality is something that he will conquer and acquire with his Good Strong Manliness, but she's using him to get what she wants.

• Options
    Like, the fact that "I was breastfed" is apparently a comeback line is nothing short of spectacular.

• Options
    I've been watching people trash the sonic reveal all day and its maybe the most disconnected I've ever felt to popular opinion

WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS IS GOLD

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Anyone expecting a movie featuring a CGI Sonic the Hedgehog in the real world, featuring Jim Carrey as Robotnik to be all serious business is operating on such a different level than myself that I find it hard to understand them.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait they put out a sonic trailer? is it on the internet? fake edit oh it's at a con ok

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Anyone expecting a movie featuring a CGI Sonic the Hedgehog in the real world, featuring Jim Carrey as Robotnik to be all serious business is operating on such a different level than myself that I find it hard to understand them.

From what I've seen it's been people expecting the good kind of bad and just getting the bad instead

Like you'll see something written and think it's so cheesy and incredibly good, like the Mortal Kombat film was. But then in execution it's DOA: Dead Or Alive

I'm particularly in-tune with that kind of criticism (something you're excited for being completely not as good as it sounds) because two days ago I saw Sukiyaki Western Django for the first time, and there's...simply no reason "Takashi Miike makes a spaghetti western" should have been that boring and mediocre?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The problem I'm having is that "everyone's a dumb asshole saying purposefully shitty jokes" got old for me in like, 2008, so when a film goes all-in on that strategy it's just boring to watch.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

From what I've seen it's been people expecting the good kind of bad and just getting the bad instead

Like you'll see something written and think it's so cheesy and incredibly good, like the Mortal Kombat film was. But then in execution it's DOA: Dead Or Alive

I'm particularly in-tune with that kind of criticism (something you're excited for being completely not as good as it sounds) because two days ago I saw Sukiyaki Western Django for the first time, and there's...simply no reason "Takashi Miike makes a spaghetti western" should have been that boring and mediocre?

Yeah that's fair. The line between good-bad and bad-bad is largely in the execution after all

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    i think the very weird thing with the sonic movie is most of the reactions are to still images and text which are the worst ways to convey anything wrt a movie's quality

it's a really weird disconnect for me -- because you absolutely can't parse tone from it at all, and sonic is inherently a dumb as shit concept

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Not being able to parse the tone is on-brand for Sonic stuff

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the line about spitting up formulas is legit great

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Now imagine Jim Carry in a fatsuit saying that line.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Now imagine Jim Carry in a fatsuit saying that line.

FUCK YEAH

• Options
    i think the very weird thing with the sonic movie is most of the reactions are to still images and text which are the worst ways to convey anything wrt a movie's quality

it's a really weird disconnect for me -- because you absolutely can't parse tone from it at all, and sonic is inherently a dumb as shit concept

sonic is incredibly dumb and also none of the stuff I've seen in the movie is any worse than the dialogue in any sonic game I've seen that has it

in fact everything I've seen is significantly better

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

This is my favorite thing that happened today

• Options
    Ha.

Hemsworth: and we're not at the Academy Awards.. becuase I'm not talented enough. You are though. You deserve to be there. *points at Thompson*
    Thompson: Not if I keep doing movies with you.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Wait, so is Chris Hemsworth just Thor all the time? That seemed very Thor.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Somebody didn't watch the Ghostbusters reboot. :)

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I think it's more thor became Chris Hemsworth.

• Options
    Hey y'all....

Does the original Men in Black hold up?

• Options
    very yes

• Options
    Original MIB is still great, and I really like MIB 3. Was never super keen on 2 though.

• Options
    the original men in black has not become "old and busted" as one would assume, and instead still feels like "the new hotness"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That Mikey can still dance too

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    That's good to hear. A lot of my favorite movies from that time don't hold up. (I'm looking at you, Ace Ventura)

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm watching Big Fish for the first time since having kids and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cry about 10x harder at the end.

Update - not 10x harder but that movie still works like gangbusters for me. The same amount of tears.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    There’s some poor dialogue and editing at times, I think, but MIB is still fucking hilarious.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Was the Killing Gunther film good

Because I remember I wanted to see that

The Schwarzenegger scenes are hilarious and felt like Arnie was really enjoying himself.

The rest of the movie is fine.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
This discussion has been closed.