Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So something neat which seems to be getting done lately: using AI neural networks to upscale textures.

The results are pretty impressive. Examples:

Dragon skeletons
    Dragonscale/Dragonbone armors

The Morrowind textures done that like are particularly impressive. Kinda feels like witchcraft.

hAN9LFQl.png

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    What it doesn’t show are the 10 versions that look like mutant cats.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

So Oblivion then?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

So Oblivion then?

No those are the potato heads.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    "Beast races cannot wear boots" is a decision someone made and I'm extremely conflicted on it.

Edit: "Beast races cannot wear full helms" can fuck right off, though.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know not all aspects of a game need to be perfectly balanced with each other. Sometimes that's even more fun, you can treat your stealth archer as easy mode and sword-and-shield as hard mode, or whatever. Or like D&D wizards becoming gods while fighters are just slummin' it with a big sword. Sometimes imbalance is alright and adds to narratives.

But some part of me always says, if beast races can't equip boots, then all beast races need to be one equipment slot more powerful than every other race to make up for it. In fact, a bit more powerful than that, to make up for the fact that you lose out on the versatility and choice among all types of boots. It needs to be all-around beneficial. And historically, this is never the case. Everyone just has a couple average racial buffs and powers and that's it.

They need like, at least a boot slot's worth of medium armor class added at all times. And maybe 5% or 10% more movement speed, to represent their increased agility for foregoing footwear. And...maybe give them unique beast race footwraps that can be enchanted.

Something.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Leg bracelets? Enchanted tattoos? Enchanted nail varnish!

nkr7fxbj7yq8.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Which game are we talking about? Beast Races can wear boots in Oblivion and Skyrim. They couldn't wear them in Morrowind.

They can also wear helmets in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Is this an ESO thing?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Pretty sure just Morrowind

• Options
    On a similar note, it was only a very recent addition to ESO that two handed weapons provide credit for two items in a set. Which is kind of along those lines. Why were you punishing players for having both hands occupied with one item?!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    On a similar note, it was only a very recent addition to ESO that two handed weapons provide credit for two items in a set. Which is kind of along those lines. Why were you punishing players for having both hands occupied with one item?!

It was easier than trying to balance two handed stamina skills and magicka skills.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Bow also. There are 2H weapons across the spectrum, and it's no more difficult to balance than SnS (tank) vs. dual wielding (DPS).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Bow also. There are 2H weapons across the spectrum, and it's no more difficult to balance than SnS (tank) vs. dual wielding (DPS).

That should be the theory. In practice the ESO team has not had the best record on this stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Tail slot.

For the species that have tails.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »

Tail slot.

This is actually legit something I’d want, for Argonians especially. I can picture it in every material type, makes me wish I could draw!

Endless_Serpents on
    nkr7fxbj7yq8.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Tail slot.

Even if it was literally just "You can equip like, 4 more rings, because you put them on your tail and your beasty toes" that'd be fantastic.

maybe +2 rings and even +1 amulet (2 rings on the tip/argonian spikes, amulet wrapped around the base)

... that... might not even be that hard to mod into Morrowind?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    If you're a fan of the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind in particular) and have, like, a spare month (that's basically how long it took me to get through this; it's crazy-long), Polygon put out a really great retrospective of Morrowind's development history in the form of interviews with the devs who worked on it:
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda

My main takeway: they were too young and dumb to recognize that what they were doing was impossible, which is basically the only reason they managed to do it.

It also kind of changed my impression of some of these folks. I gained a lot of respect for Todd Howard for how involved he was with every aspect of the game dev and how he rallied and pulled the team together (honestly, I already liked him quite a bit, but I thought he was more hands-off and more on the business side of things). I didn't know too much about Ken Rolston, but I had the impression that he was a more by-the-numbers, straight-laced designer (I'm pretty sure that I stereotyped based on the fact he was older, so I assumed he was more get-off-my-lawn. Which is incredibly dumb on my part); as it turns out, he was indeed more organized and less chaotic than some of the other designers (read: Michael Kirkbride), but it turns out that he was fully accepting and encouraging of everyone's individual weird contributions, and he himself developed a lot of the weird Elder Scrolls feel and character that I love.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I already had a huge amount of respect for Todd Howard, knowing how much he actually was involved with the development before he became a face of the company and a meme. Genuinely sad about the memes lambasting him so much and treating him like a joke. He's a good guy.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    I already had a huge amount of respect for Todd Howard, knowing how much he actually was involved with the development before he became a face of the company and a meme. Genuinely sad about the memes lambasting him so much and treating him like a joke. He's a good guy.

Todd is a sweetie pie and he doesn't deserve the memey crap. Most of the stuff that he catches flak for (like the continual re-releases of Skyrim) are honestly things that come from ZeniMax Corporate looking to milk the franchise for as much money as they possibly can, not him. Also, his net worth is "only" $15 million, which while nothing to shake a stick at, is kinda small potatoes compared to quite a few other devs in similar positions to his.

The one time I met him (company launch party for ESO) he was a quiet, laid back dude who mostly seemed confused as to how he got there and why everyone had put him on a pedestal.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    This month's card is Seasoned Captain and it's a card for Redguard item decks and not much besides Redguard item decks, I don't think.

Still... Prophet of Bones had Exalt, this one's got Rally, it's not too much to hope that a future monthly card will bring back Factotums or Beast Form, right?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So. Perk trees in Skyrim.

It's one of the more common ways to change your game, but can also really break it badly. The most common replacer I've seen used is Ordinator, which does a ton of things I love, but also a bunch of things that irritate the hell out of me. I still tend to use it, but I ignore the perks that annoy me.

Well, EnaiSiaion (who's actually done a ton of mods you might have used - Ordinator, Andromeda, Sacrosanct, Summermyst, Wildcat, Imperious, Thunderchild, Apocalypse, Wintersun...hell, you may have used ALL of them) is doing a kinda "midway between Vanilla and Ordinator" perk thing right now, and over on his patreon you can see the lists as they're released:

https://www.patreon.com/EnaiSiaion/posts

It's posted the magic ones, as well as Archery and Smithing, and I'm really liking how this one is shaping up. It's sounding like this may be his last large overhaul mod (sounds like he's in college and about to enter the workforce), so might be worth keeping an eye on.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    did they make a growable beard mod for SE yet

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    did they make a growable beard mod for SE yet

Nothing that I've seen, but looking at the comments for five o'clock shadow it's convertible. Folks just can't upload it because of copyright. So you can convert it yourself if you're so inclined.

Not sure if there anything on LL for it.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Alright Morrowind peeps. I've stumbled into Mournhould at like level 7 and am trying to do the play, but the assassin KOs the guy I just hired quickly and kills me even faster, in like three hits, and their hits are like 50% for knocking me to the ground. Am I just hilariously outleveled and screwed because my last save is after I'm given the book, so if I walk away the stagehand will be pissed?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I mean, you've already got a save there, it certainly won't hurt to try walking away. Also, I doubt it will affect anything, as the NPC's don't really track time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Alright Morrowind peeps. I've stumbled into Mournhould at like level 7 and am trying to do the play, but the assassin KOs the guy I just hired quickly and kills me even faster, in like three hits, and their hits are like 50% for knocking me to the ground. Am I just hilariously outleveled and screwed because my last save is after I'm given the book, so if I walk away the stagehand will be pissed?

You are hilariously outleveled. Everything in Mournhold in post-game expansion content, and it's dumb that they push players towards it at low levels.
    You are screwed, for this quest at least. You can walk away but it will fail the quest.
    I recommend cutting your losses and going back to Vvardenfell.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I realized my second-to-last save wasn't as far back as I thought it was, so that's okay. Moreso I'm disappointed because I read the whole play and wanted to do the full thing :c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Everybody, I have extremely tragic news. I just built a new PC (yay!) but my old hard drive was very old, from an off the shelf Gateway, and from a system with an Intel chip, while the new PC uses an AMD chip, and thus too many driver incompatibility issues meant that I couldn't directly clone my hard drive over.

As such... it is very likely that my entire Oblivion save file is lost forever, as is my original somewhat jank-ass mod configuration. Such is the tragedy of heavily modded Bethesda games.

(there's still a CHANCE I can get it back, but other stuff takes priority)

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Everybody, I have extremely tragic news. I just built a new PC (yay!) but my old hard drive was very old, from an off the shelf Gateway, and from a system with an Intel chip, while the new PC uses an AMD chip, and thus too many driver incompatibility issues meant that I couldn't directly clone my hard drive over.

As such... it is very likely that my entire Oblivion save file is lost forever, as is my original somewhat jank-ass mod configuration. Such is the tragedy of heavily modded Bethesda games.

You can still connect the old disk and copy files from it though

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

You can still connect the old disk and copy files from it though

That's gonna be the next step tomorrow!

With that said:

New computer has an NVidia GeForce RTX 2070, an AMD 7 series CPU, and 16 gb RAM.

If/when I install Skyrim SE, *how ridiculous should I go*. I am taking suggestions. (also, what type of character should I try this time? I did True Neutral Khajiit Sneaky Bow Werewolf (but got better) Being Like "I'm Not Sure Why This Is Happening, I'm Just Trying Not to Die" (aka, my usual ES PC) my first go, then Chaotic Evil Daedra Cultist Dunmer Vampire convinced she's the Envoy of the Anticipations (Heavy Armor + 2h weapons + buff magic)

I'm sorta thinking WIZARD but I'd need a mod that makes being WIZARD actually fun/interesting/viable.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Being a wizard is totally viable you just have to either be

A: Illusionist
    B: diligently hunting for reduce destruction cost gear.
    C: not getting hit because you are going to put a lot into mana

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Being a wizard is totally viable you just have to either be

A: Illusionist
    B: diligently hunting for reduce destruction cost gear.
    C: not getting hit because you are going to put a lot into mana

Conjuration was also pretty viable in some versions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I forgot about conjuration (because i dislike the concept)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Conjuration is the best school. Gib more Skyrim Pokemon, please.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Ordinator makes being a mage pretty fun. There's nothing like having an army of skeletons following you everywhere.

• Options
    Stuff like this is kinda amazing how it gets noticed after years

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/brl9tl/so_i_discovered_how_to_inhibit_grass_from_growing/
    TLDR: Ground is highly irregular, except where people settle. The ground of towns and camps is almost completely level. If you tell grass not to grow where ground is flat, you prevent clipping while keeping the wilderness lush.

The world is painted with various landscape textures, and some of these texture records are meant to grow grass, and others aren't. Skyrim is painted so that much of it doesn't grow grass. Regardless, grass still grows through a lot of things it shouldn't because Bethesda didn't always paint landscape cleanly, or the people laying content down didn't appreciate that grass was supposed to grow there. The result is a barren world that still has lots of grass clipping.

Grass mods add grass to all the barren landscape, at the cost of growing grass through many spots that were meant to be grass-free.

So the solution hit me while I was creating a community resource worldspace with Crypt. The vast majority of settlements, camps, or "dramatic scenes" are made on level ground. There's a tool in the CK that you use to flatten landscape and it makes life a lot easier when placing objects.

So how does this apply to grass? Well, there is a setting in grass records that has never been used before, by Bethesda or any other modder to my knowledge. It's the DATA - DATA\Min Slope. With this setting, you can tell grass not to grow on flat ground, but everywhere else. You might ask, "well what about all the flat places in the wilderness?" No worries, there are a few bare patches but we've got most of it covered with low lying ground covers and short grass.

The best part is that this works super well with mod added content. The last two camps in the album below are from More Bandit Camps.

https://imgur.com/a/MJTrkrr
    Cathedral Grass update is imminent.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Jesus, that's a pretty simple and impressive improvement.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Jesus, that's a pretty simple and impressive improvement.

Z65rssj.png

• Options
    classic bethsoft. code is beyond spaghetti. code is your oma's secret paprikash recipe where you asked her for the ingredients and she said "oh honey, it is these things, but you put in like this" and she showed you, and you have no fucking idea 'cause there's no measurements, and twenty years later you realize that in fact she'd gotten the recipe off the back of a box sometime in the 60s and ALL ALONG you were missing 1/4 TEASPOON OF POWDERED RED PEPPER or something similarly obvious like WHAT

• Options
    edited May 2019
    As far as the question "why didn't Bethesda ever use this," I completely see the logic in not relying on automated systems to limit grass coverage and instead just control it manually where needed.

It sounds like it's similar to an ini setting, so it would apply to all grass everywhere? The person says "oh don't worry you won't notice in those places where the ground is flatter," in other words it does affect those places. That would be why Bethesda didn't use it.

Also you have situations like someone implements it and then someone else is fleshing out some wilderness somewhere and wondering why the hell their ground won't grow grass on it because they don't know about that global setting.

This may not have even ever been the intended use and thus may not have crossed anyone's mind. It might've been intended for things like preventing grass growing out at weird angles on the edges of cliffs or something.

UncleSporky on