As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Less meal food (cause seriously, there's so much to cover), but if you find yourself in Cap Hill or Ballard and want a sweet treat and/or a drink to go with it, I cannot recommend Pie Bar enough, and Cupcake Royale (also has a location downtown) has great cupcakes and ice cream if that's more your speed.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    There's an Sbarro at the airport if you're in the mood for pizza.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There's an Sbarro at the airport if you're in the mood for pizza.

I fail to see what this name has to do with food.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If you're visiting Pike Place, go to Piroshky Piroshky.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Meh. It's okay.

Mee Sum Pastry has tastier hand food and Michou is just an incredible deli.

But really just all good options.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

And if the line is huge there's another one up a few blocks

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Meh. It's okay.

Mee Sum Pastry has tastier hand food and Michou is just an incredible deli.

But really just all good options.

Piroshky is just a more "famous" seattle location but yea i like Mee Sum better. Mainly style though. Neither are really dinner options though.
    I know this is probably not "Washington Politics" related, but how in the samhell did "T-Mobile" afford the rights to shit on Safeco?

I thought Seattle was a CenturyLink city?

If you knew that SafeCo was a Seattle based company then you know the answer to that question. T-Mobile is way way larger in reach than SafeCo ever was

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My wife and used to go to Piroshky Piroshky and then wander around Pike's Place every year for her birthday, but now she can't eat there, and I miss it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    15th Ave has some amazing options, if you get that far uphill.

Pike Place has plenty if evening dining, including a wonderful French place called Cafe Campagne. Lots of seafood options, too.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Italian Family Pizza on First and Seneca yoooo

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    If we’re talking food go to Tat’s Deli in Pioneer Square and get a Cheesesteak.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

No longer exists. Its on capital hill now(boren and madison) and has been for at least a year. (Want to say more like 3, think it was out a full year before they started digging)

Its not bad but roccos is better if you just want a slice(though i have not been inside IFPs new location) and i wouldnt call it too special over zekes or pagliacci or ballard pizza co and then only if you want something slighlty more NY than the seattle style pie. Or something slightly more novelty in the hilarious size of their large (Which is basically new york style but the crust is soft and chewey on the edges and its thicker in the middle)

Buut like the real best pizza in Seattle is the 4 cheeze gluten free shells that costco sells soooo...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    T-Mobile's HQ is in Factoria near the intersection of I-90 and 405. If you drive by at night it'll often be illuminated in magenta.

Also if you have T-mobile you may not have service. No, not kidding.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I’ve seen a lot of great recommendations here for restaurants ranging from large and safe to small hipster spots. Many I’ve been to, and all are great. I’ll personally say that from a “tourist” perspective I recommend Ivar’s, Dick’s, and something in the Market.

As mentioned, Ivar’s is a cliche for a reason. It’s not amazing, but it is good, and it’s on the waterfront, and it’s a Seattle institution. Personally half the time I just do the happy hour in the bar, where you can pay a dollar more than the fast food prices to have fast food clams and chips in a sit down restaurant with a view. And cheap (for downtown) beer.

Dick’s is Dick’s. It’s the answer to “what if In-n-Out stopped trying?” The answer? They’d still be pretty decent, and delicious if you’re drunk and it’s midnight. It’s a fast food burger, no more no less. It is across the street from the light rail, so easy to grab. When you go home you can tell people from Seattle you got it and they’ll be jealous. And you won’t understand why. You may or may not run into Bill Gates in line. Okay, maybe not so much in Capitol Hill.

For the Market, I’m on the Piroshky train personally. Though I do really like Pink Door as well for a nicer sit down experience.

For bonus points in International District I usually go to either Jade Garden or Harbor City. They are across the street from each other. One has a line out the door, one has ducks in the window. Jade Garden is especially good with a group, since it’s a dim sum place. For more individual dim sum, I agree that Din Tai Fung in Westlake is actually really good. It’s a chain, but an upscale one. Pricey though. If you don’t have decent dim sum where you’re from, it’s worth hitting up.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Thanks, everyone! you are all the best. And now I am very hungry in anticipation.
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Less meal food (cause seriously, there's so much to cover), but if you find yourself in Cap Hill or Ballard and want a sweet treat and/or a drink to go with it, I cannot recommend Pie Bar enough, and Cupcake Royale (also has a location downtown) has great cupcakes and ice cream if that's more your speed.

Oh, that works out, because I'll likely be heading up to Ballard on wednesday because that's where the seattle juggling club is, and it looks like I can cycle there pretty much along the waterfront to avoid the hills. (I don't want to ride across Ballard Bridge, though, right? Google maps gives me that, or 4th ave, or the locks, as options for crossing the water, and the 4th ave bridge looks like the easiest one)

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Thanks, everyone! you are all the best. And now I am very hungry in anticipation.
    Mvrck wrote: »

Oh, that works out, because I'll likely be heading up to Ballard on wednesday because that's where the seattle juggling club is, and it looks like I can cycle there pretty much along the waterfront to avoid the hills. (I don't want to ride across Ballard Bridge, though, right? Google maps gives me that, or 4th ave, or the locks, as options for crossing the water, and the 4th ave bridge looks like the easiest one)
    Ballard bridge isn’t too bad of a ride, but crossing in Fremont and heading through Leary might be an easier ride depending on where you’re coming from. Less uphill.

If you’re in Ballard and don’t stop at Hattie’s for food though you’re messing up. Also Conor Byrne is an overpriced old bar but has good music generally on most nights of the week, also in Ballard. Full Tilt is another good Ballard spot, beer floats and pinball right by a cupcake shop.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pie Bar is damn good. Hot Cakes is another good dessert option in Ballard, or Salt & Straw if you like ice cream. La Isla is my favorite restaurant in Ballard, but I don't eat there that often. (I live in Wallingford so it's basically hours away).

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    If we’re talking food go to Tat’s Deli in Pioneer Square and get a Cheesesteak.

I literally just had Tat's yesterday.

It's still amazing.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Quick question -- I'm going to be in Seattle from Sunday to Thursday at a conference (downtown) -- where should I go to eat in the evenings? The days are pretty much full, but I need to eat at the end of the day. (also, if there's any nightlife that I should check out that would be great, too)

What I'm looking for: I like pretty much any sort of food, so I guess I'm looking for things that I can get in Seattle that I couldn't find other places? (for example, there's lots of craft breweries and steakhouses in Calgary so I don't really need to find more of those in Seattle, I'm more looking for unusual things, I guess)

@djmitchella Let me guess: you're here for Build?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    It's been years but is that chinese meat bun in the market still around? Those were pretty good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Quick question -- I'm going to be in Seattle from Sunday to Thursday at a conference (downtown) -- where should I go to eat in the evenings? The days are pretty much full, but I need to eat at the end of the day. (also, if there's any nightlife that I should check out that would be great, too)

What I'm looking for: I like pretty much any sort of food, so I guess I'm looking for things that I can get in Seattle that I couldn't find other places? (for example, there's lots of craft breweries and steakhouses in Calgary so I don't really need to find more of those in Seattle, I'm more looking for unusual things, I guess)

@djmitchella Let me guess: you're here for Build?

Yup, that's the one.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

djmitchella Let me guess: you're here for Build?

Yup, that's the one.

Try to catch dinner at Black Bottle, in the Belltown neighborhood. Try the boar ribs.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

No longer exists. Its on capital hill now(boren and madison) and has been for at least a year. (Want to say more like 3, think it was out a full year before they started digging)

Its not bad but roccos is better if you just want a slice(though i have not been inside IFPs new location) and i wouldnt call it too special over zekes or pagliacci or ballard pizza co and then only if you want something slighlty more NY than the seattle style pie. Or something slightly more novelty in the hilarious size of their large (Which is basically new york style but the crust is soft and chewey on the edges and its thicker in the middle)

Buut like the real best pizza in Seattle is the 4 cheeze gluten free shells that costco sells soooo...

it's been a while since i been back!

• Options
    Rather belatedly relative to when I was there, thanks again for all the tips -- I only had time for some of the recommendations, but here's what I did manage to get to:

the Jazz Alley is a very nice place:
    xeKbzz1.jpg

and I wound up sitting pretty close to the stage
    EnWi4oJ.jpg
    and seeing a great show:
    hUOidcZ.jpg

(and these weird blobs were right close by, not sure what they are but they looked neat):
    kHoxyQf.jpg

I had a wander by the waterfront while going to Ivars:
    DuGbYcO.jpg
    to see the sunset
    3ZGcXe0.jpg
    and the market
    ROElHWp.jpg
    and the great big holes where road isn't any more:
    ujBTP0S.jpg

then back up past the library:
    Va6aMxb.jpg

Went there by day as well:
    AHIW8cS.jpg
    and, yes, made it to the high-end Starbucks and had piroshky:
    Ro4D0M5.jpg

also went to Din Tai Fung downtown and had some sort of fancy mushrooms and dumplings and something else that I only have a blurry photo of but was delicious and sort of like dumplings stuck together and fried (I just asked the server what I should get, to be honest)
    6gijUjN.jpg

Took a bike for a very nice ride up to Ballard to meet the juggling folks:
    bNzlydF.jpg

Saw the neat-o coloured glass walkway thingy at the sculpture park:
    jSRVrjl.jpg

and because I like colourful things and had a limited time on the last day, went on from there to the Chihuly museum:
    KEa7NxM.jpg
    UNcan9R.jpg

which is just about the perfect size to see before getting back on a plane.

And then I was surprised to find out how dog-friendly the airport was while wandering waiting to check in:
    IW9lvH9.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That is a series of beautiful pictures

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    The bubble things are the amazon spheres, and they are greenhouses. They can be visited by reservation

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    The bubble things are the amazon spheres, and they are greenhouses. They can be visited by reservation

I think you mean Jeff Bezo's balls.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's a city council primary coming up in seattle

I met one of the candidates for my district, Shaun Scott, briefly, while he was canvassing at a grocery store a few weeks ago, and I thought he was pretty charming, so I was happy to discover he's actually the guy I want

sending my ballot out today, with all my democracy vouchers in his name

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tim Eyman didn't plead guilty, but we can all think he's a cheap chair stealing fuck anyway.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/tim-eyman-settles-theft-charge-of-taking-70-chair-from-office-depot-in-lacey/

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tim Eyman didn't plead guilty, but we can all think he's a cheap chair stealing fuck anyway.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/tim-eyman-settles-theft-charge-of-taking-70-chair-from-office-depot-in-lacey/

He didn't plead guilty, but he agreed to the “accuracy and admissibility” of the police report.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So it’s like an Alford plea?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    So it’s like an Alford plea?

More like a standard plea deal, I think. Basically, don't drag this out in court, don't cause further trouble, and you'll get out with just paying a small fine.

In other news, this popped up when searching for Tim Eyman:
    https://mynorthwest.com/1463254/tim-eyman-contempt-campaign-finance-lawsuit/
    Tim Eyman is facing more contempt charges for “refusal to disclose complete information related to hundreds of thousands of dollars of payments he solicited from individual donors.” This is on top of his other current contempt charges, which are still in effect, and are currently at $500/day.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    shaun scott is the real deal -- i'm over in district 6 so i have a bit of a harder choice between candidates

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    he was out canvassing again this weekend and I wasn't gonna say anything but he asked who I voted for and he seemed pretty pleased when I told him he was my choice

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ah good Patty Murray came out in favor of Impeachment today. Also so did my representative Susan DelBene, plus Denny Heck, Derek Kilmer and Kim Schrier.

Means I won't have to vote to primary people after all hooray.

I need to start looking through the election materials though. Including this Prop 1 business which I don't understand at all. Why is there a vote for public funding to help a privately run hospital.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Ah good Patty Murray came out in favor of Impeachment today. Also so did my representative Susan DelBene, plus Denny Heck, Derek Kilmer and Kim Schrier.

Means I won't have to vote to primary people after all hooray.

I need to start looking through the election materials though. Including this Prop 1 business which I don't understand at all. Why is there a vote for public funding to help a privately run hospital.

I don't think it's a privately-run hospital, but a public, non-profit, hospital.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If that's the case I guess that's fine then. Like I said I haven't looked into it it just seemed weird at first, brief, glance.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My gosh those photos make me miss going to PAX.

I miss Seattle

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    there's a city council primary coming up in seattle

I met one of the candidates for my district, Shaun Scott, briefly, while he was canvassing at a grocery store a few weeks ago, and I thought he was pretty charming, so I was happy to discover he's actually the guy I want

sending my ballot out today, with all my democracy vouchers in his name

I also met him outside a grocery store and it’s the only time I’ve ever stopped at a canvassing booth without hesitation.

This discussion has been closed.