Options

detective pikachu: mr. mime is a fucking snitch (open spoilers, so bewear)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I really liked Ryan Reynolds in this!
    I think in trailers and clips that are usually pretty choppy, he comes across as too much of... whatever that is, but in the context of the film as a whole I actually really liked him

Also once he's in it as himself at the end I hated him for pulling off that greying + glasses look so well

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I only have one question

would the movie had been better if they actually cast Danny DeVito instead

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I don't think so and have never thought so
    It's exactly the same as every other case of the internet taking a joke and powerbombing it straight into its grave

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Danny DeVito would not have worked for this movie at all

I love him

But he would have been a very bad call for the role for multiple reasons

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I want to say I'm really impressed with how good Justice Smith is in this role. He puts a lot of emotion into his scenes and does real well interacting with the Pokemon

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I want to say I'm really impressed with how good Justice Smith is in this role. He puts a lot of emotion into his scenes and does real well interacting with the Pokemon
    Apparently there were a lot more practical effects and props used than you would think which probably helped a lot

For example, during the Lickitung scene they had a giant latex tongue covered in slime they jammed in his face

Which doesn't take away from how good of a job he did at all, its just neat to think about

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    yeah pikachu needed a less immediately recognizable voice

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I was especially surprised after seeing him in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, where he's maybe the least funny comic relief I've ever seen in a movie

But after this it's clear he just had garbage to work with there and he's in much better company on this

• Options
    I wanna talk about when Lucy is introduced and the whole scene is lit from like, external street lights, with one right behind her, and it's coming through posts on a staircase and casting bars of light and shadow on Tim's face

It's classic noir lighting and looks so fucking good

Part of the reason this works so well is that it fully incorporates elements of noir and neo-noir without ever feeling like a parody, and blends them with fucking Pokemon of all things, and is totally sincere about all of it

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently there were a lot more practical effects and props used than you would think which probably helped a lot

For example, during the Lickitung scene they had a giant latex tongue covered in slime they jammed in his face

Which doesn't take away from how good of a job he did at all, its just neat to think about

Did they use anything for when Pikachu was riding on his shoulders?

• Options
    Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wanna talk about when Lucy is introduced and the whole scene is lit from like, external street lights, with one right behind her, and it's coming through posts on a staircase and casting bars of light and shadow on Tim's face

Part of the reason this works so well is that it fully incorporates elements of noir and neo-noir without ever feeling like a parody, and blends them with fucking Pokemon of all things, and is totally sincere about all of it

That scene is the movie in a nutshell. It's corny horseshit on the face of it, but everyone involved is bringing their A++ game to the table and making it work.

But especially Kathryn Newton. She just tears it up from start to finish.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Did they use anything for when Pikachu was riding on his shoulders?

I know Kathryn Newton wore a backpack loaded for about 50 lbs for the scenes where she's carrying Psyduck around, so I assume they'd have something similar for him

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

That scene is the movie in a nutshell. It's corny horseshit on the face of it, but everyone involved is bringing their A++ game to the table and making it work.

I was worried with her introduction but her character just being someone wanting to be in a noir/spy movie was so fun.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

-Insert Ms Dappers post here because I fucked up the edit-

Everyone in the film felt like they were doing a different movie to me.

Kathryn Newton was straight out of noir.

Bill Nighy and his son were chewing scenery like champions.

Ryan Reynolds was... Ryan Reynolds? He was good, but not really stretching.

And Justice Smith as the generic protagonist to ease us into the universe with a dollop of lovable dork.

Mr Sparkles on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I was worried with her introduction but her character just being someone wanting to be in a noir/spy movie was so fun.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that her big thing was that she was just really enthusiastic and a little green, but that dovetailed nicely with her being determined and actually pretty good at what she wanted to do.

They did a really good job with Lucy and Tim. There's a good balance between them bringing skills and knowledge to the table and their youth and relative inexperience. And they do a really good job of just...existing in this world. At no point does it feel like anyone in this movie thinks they're above just throwing out phrases like, "where's your pokemon partner"

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    One of the neat bait-and-switches with this movie is the scene where Tim is being lead by the Bulbasaur and Morelull to find a healing Pokemon. At the end of the journey you see a bunch of Comfey, who are the platonic idea of a healing Pokemon, but BAM, MEWTWO.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    As a person who knows very little about Pokemon, is this a movie I would want to watch?

If you arent a fan or a kid you might not get a lot out of it. It's not a great mystery or anything

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The toterra idea was really cool but the actual action scene kind of bored me.

Yeah, that and the finale were the exact kind of action scenes I didn’t want

They were really committed to their silly noir thing and then a more generic blockbuster breaks in

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I liked the finale setpieces

The torterra one doesn't work for me because, the initial visual of the ground warping is cool, but then there's nothing else to it, and it goes on for a while

If there had been like, wild Pokemon scurrying around, running away and interfering with the heroes trying to escape, then the sequence wouldve been way better. The movie's biggest strength is its visual design, so it's both jarring and boring when they spend as long as they do just like, running around in a forest

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The finale doesn't do it for me because the "combining people and pokemon" thing is easily my least favorite subject for a Pokemon story to cover and didn't work for me at allllll

the "well, we all know Mewtwo can combine a person and a pokemon when they're under great stress" thing just made me go "we DO know that??" and let me to a lot of existential dread that the movie doesn't even explore because it only happens for what feels like 3 minutes or less, and everyone just seems to move on from it ever happening without acknowledging it

I feel like if it weren't the hook they used to make the Pikachu talk you could cut it out of the movie and not really lose much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The finale doesn't do it for me because the "combining people and pokemon" thing is easily my least favorite subject for a Pokemon story to cover and didn't work for me at allllll

the "well, we all know Mewtwo can combine a person and a pokemon when they're under great stress" thing just made me go "we DO know that??" and let me to a lot of existential dread that the movie doesn't even explore because it only happens for what feels like 3 minutes or less, and everyone just seems to move on from it ever happening without acknowledging it

I feel like if it weren't the hook they used to make the Pikachu talk you could cut it out of the movie and not really lose much

See I kinda love just how batshit and audacious that is

And also I so think it suits the villain, it's a creepy corrupted version of "evolving into your best self" and "becoming better with and closer to Pokemon"

• Options

And also I so think it suits the villain, it's a creepy corrupted version of "evolving into your best self" and "becoming better with and closer to Pokemon"

I'd be more willing to go with it if it was "there was an accident that made it happen to Ryan Reynolds and Bill Nighy has been working to recreate that on Mewtwo and then does," it's the running around making EVERYONE do it that I didn't like

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's weird, but I think it'd be less weird if they'd spent a few more minutes dealing with everyone getting swapped into their Pokemon. The bit where Pikachu is running around trying to figure out what happened so he has a full conversation with Lucy as Psyduck was good! I could have stood to have a little bit more of that. Like...maybe if they get back into town and Bill Nighy's already done the thing? So they have to piece it together with Detective Pikachu and crack the case that way?

I don't know if that ultimately works, either, you'd have to make some real structural changes to make it work, and I don't know if they'd be worth losing what's already there.

• Options
    edited May 2019

I literally can't think of any other pokemon story that does this beside maybe Sun and moon but she was more wearing it like a mech suit

King Riptor on
  • Options

I'd be more willing to go with it if it was "there was an accident that made it happen to Ryan Reynolds and Bill Nighy has been working to recreate that on Mewtwo and then does," it's the running around making EVERYONE do it that I didn't like

i like it as like, he's got a god complex (called out by his son early on) and it's not enough for just him to become a pokemon, he has to make everyone do it. just like how it wasn't enough for him to live alongside pokemon, he had to build an entire city dedicated to the idea (which is, to be fair, a much less horrifying idea than the pokemon fusion). But also of course he gets to be the absolute best pokemon

obviously it's a taste thing and I can't convince you that actually you liked it, but I do think it makes at least some sense on a narrative level.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just didn't really like the toterra scene because it was just kind of there and didn't really add to the movie, nor did the characters really learn from it. The Pokemon just stood up, then stood down. It was a a scene that could have been easily cut from the movie and the movie would have lost nothing other than pikachu was injured, and I would have preferred to see that in the greninja fight that was a bit more interesting.

Plus, everything growing on a toterra grows straight up so it doesn't really make sense that the earth was bent to a literal 90 degree angle.

• Options
    I can't believe how many battles were won to make the weird choice instead of the safe one

they shot this movie on film! They probably had to argue for that for months!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I can't believe how many battles were won to make the weird choice instead of the safe one

I'm listening to Blank Check right now and they're talking to two of the screenwriters

one of the examples of a Pokemon Company note they got was that "Squirtles don't strategize"

• Options

I'm listening to Blank Check right now and they're talking to two of the screenwriters

one of the examples of a Pokemon Company note they got was that "Squirtles don't strategize"

They need sunglasses for that

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I hated Lucy in this, but like in a fun and silly way?

Like, Lucy to me is 100% at all times in the Pokemon cartoon (like most of the people in this movie) and for most of the movie Tim is a regular real person and it’s fucking magical dynamic.

Like, her performance as a cartoon character was as annoying for me as it was for Tim at the beginning of the film and I completely believe it is on purpose and it fucking WORKS.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    sarukun wrote: »

I hated Lucy in this, but like in a fun and silly way?

Like, Lucy to me is 100% at all times in the Pokemon cartoon (like most of the people in this movie) and for most of the movie Tim is a regular real person and it’s fucking magical dynamic.

Like, her performance as a cartoon character was as annoying for me as it was for Tim at the beginning of the film and I completely believe it is on purpose and it fucking WORKS.

@Devlin_Dragonus pointed out to me that her intro seems kinda weird and stilted, but when you think about it, she saw Tim and immediately started rambling about what her entire character schtick is while walking up to him and confronting him

which is exactly what pokemon trainers do in the games

and then of course they soften it afterward by making it clear that she's deliberately doing a schtick

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think it’s kinda jarring because they’re a bit more subtle about it with Ken Watanabe’s performance, but if you go back and watch it, he’s full of police clichés too.

But with Lucy it’s dialed up to 11 and it’s great. Tim’s friend at the beginning is also shredding it as a cartoon character, and the boring insurance salesman being the only one who doesn’t “believe in fairies” or whatever is really wonderful, and Justice Smith’s performance sells the shit out of it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    I think it’s kinda jarring because they’re a bit more subtle about it with Ken Watanabe’s performance, but if you go back and watch it, he’s full of police clichés too.

But with Lucy it’s dialed up to 11 and it’s great. Tim’s friend at the beginning is also shredding it as a cartoon character, and the boring insurance salesman being the only one who doesn’t “believe in fairies” or whatever is really wonderful, and Justice Smith’s performance sells the shit out of it.

yeah like, honestly a lot of the dialogue is pretty rote, but it's generally pretty easy to overlook/excuse it because the performances are really strong and it's just such a fun movie to look at

• Options
    Griffin Newman auditioned to play Tim's friend in the opening and I really would have loved to see that

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I just really like the idea of “It’s the stupid cartoon world everybody already knows and the only one not playing along at first is the audience surrogate”.

Edit: My only weeaboo complaint is they made Tim 21, the legal adult age in the US, instead of 20, the legal adult age in Japan, but that is because I am a gigantic weeaboo.

sarukun on
  • Options
    I just really like the idea of “It’s the stupid cartoon world everybody already knows and the only one not playing along at first is the audience surrogate”.

goin' back to the blank check episode, the screenwriters mention that a huge touchstone for them was Roger Rabbit, which like, in retrospect oh right of course it was

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So why did Mewtwo need Tim there to make a dad? Did he need the kid’s DNA?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    So why did Mewtwo need Tim there to make a dad? Did he need the kid’s DNA?

Yeah the way I took it was like, Harry's body was too severely injured to heal, so to save his life he put his soul into Pikachu, and then to reconstruct his body he needs Tim's DNA

• Options
    Also holy shit Harry is a Godawful detective.

I need to go back and watch again and see if he actually figures anything at all out other than right at the end when he realizes Bill Nighy’s horrible Deception.

• Options
    Also holy shit Harry is a Godawful detective.

I need to go back and watch again and see if he actually figures anything at all out other than right at the end when he realizes Bill Nighy’s horrible Deception.

ey cut 'im some slack, he has amnesia and pikachu brain