Options

detective pikachu: mr. mime is a fucking snitch (open spoilers, so bewear)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Billy Zane would be my Giovanni

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    meganium is a big happy dinosaur that just loves life

it's perfect

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I wonder if that episode of the anime where Ash is gonna leave Pikachu to hang out with all those other Pikachus would still make me cry

my family gave me no end of shit when I saw that episode

"you don't get it, it's his best friend sobble sobble"

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I have no love for the anime outside of Mewtwo Strikes Back, so I’d rather avoid Jessie and James.

And based on how out-of-left field this movie is, I’d half expect/hope that they go for something more obscure like Aqua vs Magma or Aether.

One of my favorite things about the Pokémon world is how it’s a cartoonified alternate reality of our world, with similar geography and cultures. So while Rocket being localized as an Italian mob is clever, I’d rather they be a full on yakuza, while a Unova- (or like this movie, no-particular-region-)set movie could use more American villains.

I really liked that Tim’s Japanese VA’s cameo appeared to maybe be this world’s Red.

I wish they had thrown in a line about the Howards being from Galar.

All in all, the international approach of the games is really cool and I hope these movies don’t lose that.

Gimme a movie set in Lumiose with everyone having French accents.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    even then though the region analogues aren't super one-to-one

like the Unova bad guys are modeled after european knights and nobility

sun and moon is probably the most on-theme?

• Options

This is true!

Though Kanto specifically is named after a real-world location and it’d be way less cool to lose that connection by making it ambiguously American, I think.

And you’d have to change Johto completely to make it anything but Very Japanese.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

This is true!

Though Kanto specifically is named after a real-world location and it’d be way less cool to lose that connection by making it ambiguously American, I think.

And you’d have to change Johto completely to make it anything but Very Japanese.

agreed, but honestly Team Rocket doesn't really seem yakuza themed so much as like

...i don't even know what they're supposed to be based on they're kind of just themselves? like all the rocket grunts just have like, jumpsuits and flat caps and whips?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I like to believe that the Bulbasaurs didn't let Lucy go along with Tim because they saw Psyduck.

"A Psyduck? You can't bring a bomb to Mewtwo"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I thought the actor who played Lucy was very bad

• Options
    I liked her a lot! Her whole ace reporter schtick was fun and showed a lot of commitment from her, and as others have said, it was reminiscent of the way a character in the games would introduce themselves

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Lucy was one of my favorite parts of the movie

She was very fun and having her lean hard into being a MYSTERIOUS NOIR REPORTER LADY was hilarious

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Turambar wrote: »
    Billy Zane would be my Giovanni

Billy Zane as Giovanni, but he uses his Ansem, Seeker of Darkness voice.

Millie Bobbie Brown as Iris
    Sophie Turner as Cynthia
    Tom Holland as Barry

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think the dialogue for Lucy was going a little too hard into trying to sound like noir in a way that made her delivery feel unnatural in her first scene. She was fine the rest of the time.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/10/18563355/detective-pikachu-mr-mime-pokemon-screenwriter-interview
    “The Pokémon Company was a little hesitant,” Benji Samit, a screenwriter on Detective Pikachu, told Polygon. “They were like, ‘Are you sure that people really want to see live action Mr. Mime?’”
    According to IGN, the prospect of live-action Mr. Mime was so creepy to some at The Pokémon Company that that the Detective Pikachu director, Rob Letterman, had to ask TPC’s president, Tsunekazu Ishihara, to let him include the pantomiming monster.
    It is precisely how creepy a realistic CGI Mr. Mime would be that made me want to see a realistic CGI Mr. Mime.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    At least they didn’t try and get Jynx in there

• Options
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I think the dialogue for Lucy was going a little too hard into trying to sound like noir in a way that made her delivery feel unnatural in her first scene. She was fine the rest of the time.

This felt intentional to me, she was a big weird dork in that scene

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

This felt intentional to me, she was a big weird dork in that scene

I mean yes it was intentional, but it was also hammy and offputting. I got what they were doing. I didn’t care for it.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh my God the Pikachu with a knife scene, I wish they rode that a bit longer.

Pikachu's cute fluffiness never wore on the audience, like every time he was in screen the entire crowd would coo until the very end.

Also the Sonic trailer before the movie KILLED, which kind of shows that thankfully the internet doesn't matter much in real life.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh man, that is going to become a thing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Just saw an interesting idea on Reddit as far as a sequel: Have Manaphy use Heart Swap on Harry and Pikachu

I'd rather see other ideas and genres in this world (with this cast showing up partway through or something) than a straight sequel, but that's actually a pretty clever way to go about it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If you are going to do another Pokemon movie I don't want anybody from this first film in it (besides maybe MewTwo).

Keep the same world but give me entirely separate stories.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    give me a martial arts tournament but only with fighting type pokemon

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We just got back from seeing it. It was exactly what I wanted, fun and goofy and ridiculous. The only complaint we had was that the forest scene on the tortoise backs was too long. Otherwise we had a great time. I can't wait to watch it again at home with a pause button, the details in some scenes was dense to say the least.

• Options
    Do a movie about Tim's friend from the beginning

Speaking of, that Pokeball prop looked great

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That tweet also did Data with a Porygon which :heartbeat:
    when the hologram of the crash first got introduced and showed how mewtwo was behind it, i was like "aw c'mon this movie just got stupid that doesn't make any sense how'd he get footage of something that wasn't in view of the camera"

and then a half hour later it turns out that he didn't and it was all staged and i was like "okay nevermind this movie is a singular literary masterpiece 11/10"

When Lucy brought the story to Roger and he told her to find a source I thought that was weird since that's not the kind of thing a villain who owns the media would typically tell their underlings. He's still an asshole to her, but it was a clue that he was not the villain he's set up to be.

Also, the scene of Roger capturing Mewtwo and just silently walking off seemed like it was missing an attempt to get rid of Tim and maybe some evil gloating, but made a lot more sense when you learn that it's Ditto.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    One thing I haven't seen called out a lot: there are only 4 white people in the core cast of the movie, 2 of them are villains, and 1 of them is a Pikachu

it's a remarkably diverse cast and it's completely unhighlighted or attempting to pander, it just is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    One thing I haven't seen called out a lot: there are only 4 white people in the core cast of the movie, 2 of them are villains, and 1 of them is a Pikachu

it's a remarkably diverse cast and it's completely unhighlighted or attempting to pander, it just is

Watching this movie I kept thinking about the Dragonball Evolution movie and how that tries to have a more diverse cast but still centers on "marketable" white stars. This was just had a natural world with a lot of different people like a city would.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm listening to Blank Check right now and they have the screenwriters on as guests, and they're talking about their long back and forths with The Pokemon Company, who not only signed off on story elements but also gave notes on like, behavioral stuff for specific species

Like "oh Squirtle wouldn't do that"
    and Dave Sims goes "wait what won't Squirtle do???"
    and Dan Hernandez just says "oh they don't strategize" and then gives no further context on what version of the script would've involved Squirtles strategizing

I kinda figure that maybe it would've had to do with that one bit where you see a bunch of Squirtles working with a firefighting team. Maybe there was a version where the Squirtles were a unit all working together, like the Squirtle Squad from the anime or something. The Squirtle Squad absolutely strategized.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    tired: "China Don't Care"
    wired: "Squirtle Don't Strategize"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wanna talk about when Lucy is introduced and the whole scene is lit from like, external street lights, with one right behind her, and it's coming through posts on a staircase and casting bars of light and shadow on Tim's face

It's classic noir lighting and looks so fucking good

Part of the reason this works so well is that it fully incorporates elements of noir and neo-noir without ever feeling like a parody, and blends them with fucking Pokemon of all things, and is totally sincere about all of it

I hated Lucy in this, but like in a fun and silly way?

Like, Lucy to me is 100% at all times in the Pokemon cartoon (like most of the people in this movie) and for most of the movie Tim is a regular real person and it’s fucking magical dynamic.

Like, her performance as a cartoon character was as annoying for me as it was for Tim at the beginning of the film and I completely believe it is on purpose and it fucking WORKS.

@Devlin_Dragonus pointed out to me that her intro seems kinda weird and stilted, but when you think about it, she saw Tim and immediately started rambling about what her entire character schtick is while walking up to him and confronting him

which is exactly what pokemon trainers do in the games

and then of course they soften it afterward by making it clear that she's deliberately doing a schtick

Oh man, I can totally see it.

!

*walks up*

"I've been waiting to see who would open that locker!"

*BATTLE*

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'm glad they let the Mr. Mime scene stay because it's probably me favorite scene in the movie.

Not only is it hilarious on it's own, but it's a good scene to show 1) Tim finally breaking down and getting into the whole detective thing and 2) Tim really does have good instincts when it comes to pokemon.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    So I really loved the bit in the credits where they showed the movie characters drawn as they would appear in the games. That dude from the fight club looked really good in that style, as did the main villain.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »
    If you are going to do another Pokemon movie I don't want anybody from this first film in it (besides maybe MewTwo).

i'd be okay with a compromise being that lucy and psyduck, as wandering reporters, becoming the connective tissue between the movies

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

i'd be okay with a compromise being that lucy and psyduck, as wandering reporters, being the connective tissue between the movies

Oh shit I really like this

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I'm glad they let the Mr. Mime scene stay because it's probably me favorite scene in the movie.

Not only is it hilarious on it's own, but it's a good scene to show 1) Tim finally breaking down and getting into the whole detective thing and 2) Tim really does have good instincts when it comes to pokemon.

Also cause they burned the snitch alive

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Do a movie about Tim's friend from the beginning

Speaking of, that Pokeball prop looked great

Lights aside, it looked like the pokeball deck "boxes" they sell for the TCG

• Options
    I’m listening to the soundtrack on Spotify

I think this Henry Jackman kid’s going places