As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am just so glad the Greeks are recurring.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...you are not prepared for this episode.

Illidan Stormrage is in DuckTales, too? Man, this show has it all!

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They're just dropping all these episodes like they grow on trees.
    Yup, there were feels.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Where are we on spoilers here? Cause man, this episode was amazing but I have one major gripe that should have gone away last season but is lingering around being super annoying to me.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    With the way episodes are being dumped lately (I’d be concerned but isn’t this show already renewed?) I’d say spoiler any recent episodes.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    got it
    Is anyone else getting sick of the Scrooge exposition? I completely understood it at the start of the series and am ok with it in his flashbacks, but him walking in front of Della hugging Louie after she rescued him and interrupting the moment by explaining to the audience what he already said 5 minutes earlier and what we also saw 12 seconds earlier was super annoying and unnecessary. That moment needed zero exposition and instead we got it twice

Xaquin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The episode title for Friday has been revealed. Spoilers ahoy (and a clip) at Entertainment Weekly, but three things:

1. It's not what any sane person would have guessed.
    2. This show's voice casting continues to be perfection.
    3. Yes yes yes yes oh my lord all the yes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Maniacal glomgold is amaaaazing.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They aren’t paying his voice actor enough.

I don’t know what they are paying him.
    I don’t care what they are paying him.

It’s not enough.

• Options
    Maniacal glomgold is amaaaazing.

CURSE YOU, GENTLE BREEZE!!

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    “OOAAAHHH....you’ve got, like, you’re own personal THING going on here”

• Options
    ...man, this show is not afraid to shake things up. In a good way.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does this Ducktales put the old one to shame?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I actually like the new art style Disney is using. It plays off the style that Walt Disney used back in the day.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yes, yes it does. But in a way that still playfully pays homage to the source material.

• Options
    Wait. Did today's episode just imply that Launchpad
    got into a romantic relationship with a clone of himself?

Also, that was Jameela Jamil. This show, man.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    They aren’t paying his voice actor enough.

I don’t know what they are paying him.
    I don’t care what they are paying him.

It’s not enough.

So apparently Glomgold (Keith Ferguson) is Reaper in Overwatch? Did you people know about this?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Like others have said: yes. But, it's not about putting the old show to shame. This version very clearly loves the old show. There's a lot of natural callbacks and references to it. Plus, there's a whole bunch of things - little and big - pointing to other Disney shows of that era. I'm talking references to Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, Gummi Bears, etc.

Everything is just... better. The kids have their own clearly defined personalities. Webby is no longer the annoying tag-along who needs to be rescued all the time. Mrs. Beakley is no longer just a tut-tutting authority figure. Launchpad is dialed up to 11 and is hilarious. Gyro has a dark streak to him. Gizmoduck isn't utterly pathetic in his personal life. Glomgold is also hilarious (and a bit tragic).

You can see parts of the original (which I'm guessing was pretty faithful to the comics), but it's been massaged in a way that makes it more entertaining while keeping the heart of the entire thing intact.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Mark Beaks dabbed.

He's officially a monster.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Among the many many things this new show does right: it has no respect for Doofus, and Webby is not a cutesy-squeaky nothing of a character.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I love new Doofus. He's so extremely uncomfortable to watch and it's glorious.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I love new Doofus. He's so extremely uncomfortable to watch and it's glorious.

While I don't love the new Doofus, he at least makes an impression.
    I can't remember anything about Classic Doofus beyond "fat duck kid".

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man this show is hitting every note for me. Guys
    Della listens to Powerline, amazing. And an entire episode nod to the movie!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Gyro has a dark streak to him.

A friend (and rabid fan of all things Duck) mentioned that Gyro is this universe's Rusty Venture (and Scrooge is kind of it's Jonas Sr.) and now I can't unsee it.

• Options
    Eeehhh gyro has drive and scrooge is pretty well meaning and honest

• Options
    Arguably, new Gyro is the most changed of any of the old Duck Tales cast (beyond Doofus, but who the hell cares about Doofus). Old Gyro was a kindly mad scientist. New Gyro is a surly and vengeful mad scientist, whose creations keep accidentally (?) becoming evil.

But it's hard to care in this case, since Old Gyro was extremely bland beyond the stuff he created. New Gyro would be interesting even if he wasn't connected to any of his inventions.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Dorky aside from "The Dangerous Chemistry of Gandra Dee!"
    hZh6T9P.png

So, this 'formula' is mostly nonsensical. But something that made me go, 'wait, what?' is the structure at the very bottom there.

It's (almost) strychnine.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    New Gyro isn't a bad guy he just lacks foresight and is bitter because his inventions are good ideas but they inevitably gain free will and turn evil despite his best efforts . I prefer this take on him.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I wish Mark Beaks hadn't stolen Emil Eagle's shtick of stealing and appropriating tech, since it would be fun to see Emil show up as Gyro's rival.

Then again they could work over the character and introduce him as Gyro's "rival" in that Emil thinks they're rivals and Gyro barely notices his, like old college roommate or whatever he would be.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Omg episode 11 starts off with them watching Darkwing Duck.

How could they be this cruel specifically to me.

Episode 39 is going to destroy you.

• Options
  • Options
    1 JUICY FLAVOR

God I love this show

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    1 JUICY FLAVOR

God I love this show

The details are glorious. The photo of Launchpad in "Nothing Can Stop Della Duck!" has, waaaaay in the background, a tiny picture of Donald Duck running away, presumably screaming in pain, with his ass on fire.

And I need a real-life copy of the toner poster in the Entertainment Weekly link. I need it.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Evil robots ED-209 and Megatron in that pic. :+1:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    So, you know how Duck Tales has a huge amount of respect for the original show but has massaged things to make it better?
    They just did the same thing to Darkwing Duck. Hot buttered perfection.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So, you know how Duck Tales has a huge amount of respect for the original show but has massaged things to make it better?

And it stays true to an important tradition from the previous show:
    Giving Darkwing and Negaduck a new origin story every season that contradicts all their previous ones.

• Options

I hate that I still have 5 hours before I get off work, then a drive home before I can cram my eyeholes full of cartoon ducks.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    This show never stops giving.

• Options
    So, the latest episode.

Without spoilers: Holy heck, I could not have asked for a better take on that. Wow.

• Options
    Holy crap that episode was amazing

that deserves some kind of cartoon award