As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OUYA] Putting Android in a Home Console

1235»

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Got a new update today regarding FFIII as a launch title on OUYA:
    We’ve been saying that OUYA will offer all kinds of games.

This morning, we are honored to announce that OUYA is partnering with Square Enix to bring you one of the most beloved franchises in gaming -- Final Fantasy. We will kick this off with Final Fantasy III, which will be a launch title on OUYA. This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console.

But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!

Previously unreleased in the U.S. until it appeared as a 3D remake for the Nintendo DS in 2006, Final Fantasy III was widely referred to as one of the “missing pieces” in the FF series. OUYA players can now proudly claim this piece of the puzzle.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Oh wow, these guys are dead serious.
    OUYA might actually work if they keep on getting stuff like this.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Not that surprising considering that it's already out on android and ouya is well..yeah. It'll be interesting to see if they do indeed actually up the resolution like they say or if it just turns out to be the exact same thing from the google play storefront only on their storefront.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Not that surprising considering that it's already out on android and ouya is well..yeah. It'll be interesting to see if they do indeed actually up the resolution like they say or if it just turns out to be the exact same thing from the google play storefront only on their storefront.

This isn't iOS where apps are fixed to one of like four different set resolutions; an Android game using OpenGL will generally render in whatever the hell resolution the device says it's providing.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    16 hours left - Newest update :
    With fewer than 40 hours remaining in our Kickstarter campaign, it’s still business as usual at OUYA headquarters. We continue to jam on the task at hand, but we’ve got four quick announcements to share with you in this update.

First: We’ve been hearing requests from all over the Internet for a media player. Well we’re proud to announce that we will be working with XBMC.

That’s right. The award-winning, open source media player and entertainment hub is coming to OUYA. We’ve heard many of you buzzing about a potential OUYA-XBMC hook-up since Day One of launch. (Something of a match made in open source heaven!) Now, with a few hours left in our drive, we’re delivering.

Believe it, friends: XBMC, on OUYA, on your TV, legit.

Here it is, straight from the XBMC team:

Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was because of the hundreds, if not thousands, of demands on Twitter, in blogs, on Facebook, in Reddit, and in Kickstarter comments. Maybe it's because many of Team OUYA support XBMC, and nearly a third of Team XBMC members are OUYA backers.

Regardless, we are delighted to announce that XBMC will be working with OUYA to ensure that XBMC works well on the OUYA platform. OUYA's Android underpinnings and XBMC's work on Android (soon to be merged into master, pending final sign-offs!) will dramatically speed up that effort, as will early XBMC dev access to OUYA prototypes.

The conversation between our two teams is young, but talk is ongoing and positive. We look forward to providing more exciting news on this front as it develops.

- Nathan Betzen, XBMC Community Manager

And to our friends outside the US: we hear you. XBMC runs in over 40 different languages.

But that’s not all.

We’re boosting our radio reception around the world. We’ve partnered with TuneIn, a free service that lets people listen to the world's music, sports and news from wherever they are. With over 70,000 stations and two million on-demand programs, TuneIn offers unmatched variety for listeners across 230 countries and territories.

Enough of the tell and tell, we’ve also got some show and tell: That’s right! New renders for you. Eager to answer your questions about the size of OUYA, the team at fuseproject created some images to demonstrate the scale of the console and controller. Scroll down to check them out.

And, I guess I will end this update on a housekeeping note. Throughout our run on Kickstarter, our campaign page has served as the official OUYA information resource. After the campaign closes, we will unveil a new OUYA site at www.ouya.tv that will serve as OUYA central moving forward.

So with that, I’d like to thank you all once more for believing in this project and supporting it from the beginning. Again, we only have a handful of hours remaining, so please tell your friends about what we’re trying to do here. It’s your support that makes OUYA possible.

-Julie

image-145097-full.jpg?1344352239
    image-145099-full.jpg?1344352266
    image-145100-full.jpg?1344352279

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »
    I strongly suspect the demand for this thing is coming from emulat0r fans. I mean, there's no other point to it. There have been many similar devices that appealed to the Lik-Sang crowd, but never one this cheap that looks this slick.

I have absolutely no confidence in their ability to deliver the product, as advertised, for $99.00. I'm sure their revenue model includes substantial commissions on sales of software that will not materialize. The people that have pre-ordered this plan to root it, install vNES for android or whatever, and never spend a dollar on shitty Android mobile games. Consequently, these guys stand to lose $ on every console they sell. Once that reality sinks in, I doubt they'll ever manufacture and deliver a single one.

Since you know their manufacturing costs already, I'm sure you can quote them....

BTW, I'm not buying it for emulation or planning to root it, so there goes that theory.
    Yep one guy totally destroys that theory.
    Nobody else will use it to pirate based on your golden example.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Sooooo small! :shock:

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    GAME NEWS

Lots of you have asked for more details on the games that OUYA will support at launch. After all, we are a game console, it makes sense that we’d be talking games!

We’ve purposely been pretty tight lipped about our launch slate, but throughout our Kickstarter run, we’ve been having some exciting conversations behind the scenes. We’d love to fill you in on everything, but it’s just not possible. (And we’d have some legal teams coming after us!) That said, we’ve got great news from NAMCO BANDAI to share:

"NAMCO BANDAI Games and OUYA are currently in active discussions to bring some of the world's biggest gaming properties to the exciting new open gaming platform. NAMCO BANDAI brings with it a rich history of iconic gaming franchises, from classics like PAC-MAN and GALAGA, to seminal franchises like TEKKEN and Ridge Racer, and we're excited to explore how we can work with OUYA to bring some great titles to the forthcoming console."
    -- Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc.

I know what I want from Namco Bandai on OUYA but we want to hear from you. Head to the Namco/OUYA Facebook page, and cast your vote for any games you’d like to see.
    FOUR CONTROLLER SUPPORT

In response to a lot of the feedback we’ve received: OUYA will officially support up to four controllers. After all, what’s the point of playing in the living room if the other folks on the couch can’t join in?

IMPORTANT: If you want your four controllers to arrive in March when your console ships--and this is particularly important for those of you ordering the limited edition--please make sure to update your pledge today so that everything arrives at the same time. (For example: Those who pledged $99 for a console with one controller, can add on another $90 to receive an additional three controllers in March, rounding out the set of four. And--because we know you’ll ask--if you’ve got your heart set on the limited edition version, we’ll make sure that the controllers are matched.)
    PLEX

In addition to this gaming news, we at OUYA want to acknowledge that there are two sides to every coin. You’re either a morning person or a night person. (But not both.) Celtics fan or Lakers fan. (Maybe neither.) Horde or Alliance. Superman or Batman. Sith or Jedi. (You see where this is going.)

So, while tons of you were super psyched yesterday to hear that we’d support XBMC, many Plex loyalists clamored for Plex support on OUYA. We think they’ll be happy to hear that OUYA will support Plex. Why not try to please everyone?

I'm actually surprised about four controller support. I didn't think that would be a thing. Of course it could be an evolutionary dead end that will only sell more controllers but we'll see. Namco games ported directly to Ouya does seem like a nice touch though.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Trenog wrote: »
    GAME NEWS.

A lot of people were bitching about them partnering with XBMC instead of Plex. I really can't tell/don't know the difference, but whatever makes them happy I guess.

Also I agree, four controller support is sick.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sooooooo, this thing is actually coming out. June 4, $99. Here's some impressions.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/ouya-hands-on/

Who's interested?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Sooooooo, this thing is actually coming out. June 4, $99. Here's some impressions.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/ouya-hands-on/

Who's interested?

Well I already backed it when it first got announced so... ;)

I'm apparently backer 1518 as well so I guess I'm in the first set of shipments as well?

The only thing that sucks about post-Kickstarter Ouya is the $49.99 controller versus the $30 Kickstarter-priced controller.

I'm just thankful I ordered an extra one in order to have two controllers...

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'll probably get one just to use for a xbmc media box, as it's about the same price as other media players out there, but I prefer xbmc over most of their interfaces.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Revive.

Has any PA backers gotten their OUYA yet? I'm still waiting for my shipping email.

Also: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/05/09/ouya-venture-funding-release-postponed/2145903/
    Crowdfunded low-cost video game system Ouya gets $15 million in venture funding and postpones retail launch three weeks until June 25 to meet demand.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Crazy how this thing got so much money but then when it actually released folks seemed indifferent to it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    It's dead, Jim.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    It was just incredibly mediocre. Great as a media box but not much else. Then every other machine became a media box too, so why plug in another thing if you're never gonna use it? When Towerfall came out on PS4/Steam it was a nail in the coffin for me.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Pretty much what Koopah said. I actually backed it purely as a media box, I never cared if it was a good game console. Then my actual game consoles became media boxes, and the need for the Ouya to exist as a mediocre game console basically evaporated.

I'm curious to know why Razer would buy Ouya though. The brand isn't worth much (though I guess it's not toxic), and the hardware itself has long been left behind. Just seems like a strange buy up.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I own one. It's not terrible, but obviously they've been having some trouble. I use it mainly to stream YouTube and check in on my favorite virtual world.

They only include HDMI out and I have a couple large old CRT-TVs, so I am using a separately powered digital to analog signal converter. I suspect my 17 month old son also dropped the controller in such a way that neither of the top two shoulder buttons work, but I've been having some fun tinkering with the controller: taking it apart and putting it back together. Ouya's YouTube app now also has this weird bug where the video only shows up in the top left quadrant of the screen.

It has been interesting to watch these developments, merely from a business perspective. There is a fairly active community over at - www.ouyaforum.com. The Ouya is mostly a curiosity to me; I received it as a gift. If nothing else, it has provided a safe outlet to experiment with my rudimentary skill in electronics.

Phaserlight on
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Four years later, the Ouya store is finally shutting down.

In other news, the Ouya store was somehow still up?