Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    What non-scam reasons does anyone have to use Western Union for anyway? Remittances and...????

Bank to Bank transfers for any reason. I had to pay for surgery that way for example

I can get certified checks, money orders, and wire transfers through my bank. Why do I need to use WU for that?

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    What non-scam reasons does anyone have to use Western Union for anyway? Remittances and...????

Bank to Bank transfers for any reason. I had to pay for surgery that way for example

I can get certified checks, money orders, and wire transfers through my bank. Why do I need to use WU for that?

You probably don't, but lots of people don't have access to traditional banking.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I Zimbra wrote: »

You probably don't, but lots of people don't have access to traditional banking.

*raises hand*

A little over 5 years ago I was cashing my paycheck at walmart because only Wells Fargo would let me open a checking account as long as I payed them for the privilege, which meant I would have to skip a meal or 2 just to have a bank account. I felt food was more important than paying for a service that did nothing more than line the pockets of some one who already had too much money, and would do everything it could to take even more money from me*.

*Like the time about a decade ago when Wells Fargo (literally the only bank that would let me open an account, I tried all of them that had a local branch) charged me an overdraft fee when my account never technically overdrafted (Made purchase, authorization expired but purchase hadn't posted yet, spent some of that money, realized my mistake and put borrowed cash in before the purchase posted). Called to complain and got a "we can't do anything, all overdraft fees are final. Good bye" response. This is what made me drop banking entirely until I met my wife that had an account at a credit union.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »

*raises hand*

A little over 5 years ago I was cashing my paycheck at walmart because only Wells Fargo would let me open a checking account as long as I payed them for the privilege, which meant I would have to skip a meal or 2 just to have a bank account. I felt food was more important than paying for a service that did nothing more than line the pockets of some one who already had too much money, and would do everything it could to take even more money from me.

Same here; I had some chexsystems shit from an old account and couldn't open a new one. Although I went to that sketchy-as-hell check cashing place off State St.

I had to actually write a check for something the other day and realized I hadn't done that in over a decade.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't know if giving money to Walmart instead of giving money to Wells Fargo is sticking it to the rich people that have more money than they could ever need as much as you think

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hasn't Elizabeth Warren been trying to get some simple banking elements introduced into the US Postal Service locations, both to buoy up their usage and to make modern banking more accessible to more people?

Someone has, and I could swear she was one of the louder voices on that matter, even if she wasn't literally the first to come up with it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Hasn't Elizabeth Warren been trying to get some simple banking elements introduced into the US Postal Service locations, both to buoy up their usage and to make modern banking more accessible to more people?

Someone has, and I could swear she was one of the louder voices on that matter, even if she wasn't literally the first to come up with it.

Yes! She and Gillibrand both have touted it and introduced a bill in the house last year.

It's a great idea that will go nowhere for all the reasons you would expect.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I don't know if giving money to Walmart instead of giving money to Wells Fargo is sticking it to the rich people that have more money than they could ever need as much as you think

I had the choice of $3 per paycheck to walmart, or $10 a month + whatever BS the bank could come up. And they came up with a lot of BS.

Being paid in cash was not an option.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I mean we legit should do that.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Banks should offer basic services to people for free. Period.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Perhaps we could create some kind of decentralized, distributed ledger that would allow everyone to independently track their finan- nevermind, it'll never work.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    To be fair, if someone is struggling to get a bank account, its not really a great solution to tell them to be their own bank by using crypto currency. Getting ganked out of all of your money because you didnt understand how to securely use crypto or trusted the wrong exchange is worse than overdraft fees.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Americans are about 10 yrs behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to banking it seems.

Western Union doesn't really have much of a purpose here in the UK itself, but the sending of remittances is a huge, huge market.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Americans are about 10 yrs behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to banking it seems.

Western Union doesn't really have much of a purpose here in the UK itself, but the sending of remittances is a huge, huge market.

Look, if we can't destablize the world's economy every decade or so because the banking industry isn't making quite enough profit, what's the bloody point?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's completely infuriating having lived in other countries and experienced how their banking works to come back to America and watch banks literally suck money out of the people who can least afford it. There's absolutely no reason why it needs to be this way outside of the people making money from it don't want to see the system change.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The gravity well of wealth provided by already having it is kind of crazy.

The best way to make a bunch of money, is to start with a lot of it?

I feel like the entire idea of Cryptocurrency is sold as a way of combating that. In reality it's just building a separate system of wealth in which the inventors have the head start.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, when I worked at a grocery store I could just cash my check right there at the register. If you work in retail there is no good reason why they can't just give you the damned money right then and there.

Fucking businesses, man.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Because there's no bad idea from the past that crypto advocates aren't willing to dig up and reanimate like a discount necromancer, Facebook is making their ZuckerBucks into good ol' company scrip:
    …announce its cryptocurrency later this month, and will allow employees working on the project to take their salary in the form of the new currency, according to a report in The Information.

About a year ago, the company appointed former PayPal executive David Marcus to begin exploring opportunities with blockchain, the technological underpinning for cryptocurrency. Since then, several outlets have reported that the company has been building its own digital currency, which users will be able to store, trade, and exchange for regular currency, in part through Facebook apps including Messenger and WhatsApp. The report adds that Facebook is also planning physical ATM-like machines where users can buy the currency.

As the folks at LGM point out, this combines all the bad aspects of company scrip with all the bad aspects of cryptocurrency. Or in other words, a perfect Facebook product.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Maybe......just maybe, this is a way for management to sort out the idiots on the payroll and just let them weed themselves out Office Space style.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I find it difficult to believe that Facebook's lawyers would sign off on a proposal to allow employees to be paid in Zucker Bucks. I'm not surprised somebody at Facebook would think it's a good idea, but the company lawyers should shoot it down in an instant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maybe......just maybe, this is a way for management to sort out the idiots on the payroll and just let them weed themselves out Office Space style.

I hope Zuckerberg tries to be paid in Zuckerbucks if this is the case.

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe that Facebook's lawyers would sign off on a proposal to allow employees to be paid in Zucker Bucks. I'm not surprised somebody at Facebook would think it's a good idea, but the company lawyers should shoot it down in an instant.

Facebook is about a couple of steps away from being a cult at this point.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "It's totally voluntary, you see!"

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I did some reading on this when a business in my town got shut down for allowing employees to take store credit instead of cash pay. It was optional, but still super duper illegal, the FLSA requires employers to pay in cash, except for some specific and heavily limited cases where "facility" pay (lodging, food, or transportation) is legal, and even that is almost never legal to make up the entire compensation.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Because there's no bad idea from the past that crypto advocates aren't willing to dig up and reanimate like a discount necromancer, Facebook is making their ZuckerBucks into good ol' company scrip:
    …announce its cryptocurrency later this month, and will allow employees working on the project to take their salary in the form of the new currency, according to a report in The Information.

About a year ago, the company appointed former PayPal executive David Marcus to begin exploring opportunities with blockchain, the technological underpinning for cryptocurrency. Since then, several outlets have reported that the company has been building its own digital currency, which users will be able to store, trade, and exchange for regular currency, in part through Facebook apps including Messenger and WhatsApp. The report adds that Facebook is also planning physical ATM-like machines where users can buy the currency.

As the folks at LGM point out, this combines all the bad aspects of company scrip with all the bad aspects of cryptocurrency. Or in other words, a perfect Facebook product.

Obligatory:

https://youtu.be/VbbvRef1VDM

At this point Dogecoin is the winner, because at least it features a doggo.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Dogecoin had that racecar and thus is the best crypto.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

Rich people hiring lawyers that only tell them what they want to hear is In this year.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Dogecoin had that racecar and thus is the best crypto.

It's one of the few cryptos that's actually being used as a currency and not "a currency used to facilitate murder, drugs, pedophilia and multiple other illegal shit"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Rich people hiring lawyers that only tell them what they want to hear is In this year.

Usually it's just rich people not listening to their lawyers.

• Options
    maggmastermaggmaster Registered User new member
    Someone should do a coin offering that somehow can only be mined with renewable energy. It could act as an actual market driver for renewables. Overall though I think crypto currency is just a bad implementation of the block chain technology.

• Options
    maggmaster wrote: »
    Someone should do a coin offering that somehow can only be mined with renewable energy. It could act as an actual market driver for renewables. Overall though I think crypto currency is just a bad implementation of the block chain technology.

It's more than that - it's trying to engineer one's way out of a social problem, in this case "how can I run an economy without trust?" The answer is "with great difficulty", which is why black markets historically are very inefficient and corrupt. And it turns out that technology doesn't change that, because you can't engineer your way out of a social problem.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    maggmaster wrote: »

It's more than that - it's trying to engineer one's way out of a social problem, in this case "how can I run an economy without trust?" The answer is "with great difficulty", which is why black markets historically are very inefficient and corrupt. And it turns out that technology doesn't change that, because you can't engineer your way out of a social problem.

Renewables do actually pay with coins, too. US coins. In money saved since you can have power generation on your own property.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've read that the Facebook coin reveal is going to be a white paper only, and any implementation or coin launch is a year out. In a sane word that means they will take their negative PR bath and rejection from the crypto community and quietly kill the project some time over the next year. In a sane world...

Smurph on
  • Options
    You know that's a good point, the crypto crowd is never going to buy into a Facebook coin right? I mean I don't understand the crypto crowd in general, but I'm pretty sure the big thing about them is how they don't trust government / corporations at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    You know that's a good point, the crypto crowd is never going to buy into a Facebook coin right? I mean I don't understand the crypto crowd in general, but I'm pretty sure the big thing about them is how they don't trust government / corporations at all.

There are different sectors of the crypto crowd.
    You've got the hyper libertarians you're talking about who seem unlikely to touch a ZuckerBuck coin.

Then you've got the geeks who either are a little libertarian-leaning or just don't know/care about the political/personal-rights angle of cryptocurrency and are in it because they're convinced anything involving a computer is The Future and they want in on it. Facebook isn't really cool anymore in tech/futurist circles, though, so I'm not sure how much they'll want in either.

Then there are people who don't know/care about the motivations for why cryptocurrency exists and are just into it because of the get-rich-quick potential. These are likely to also be people who still use Facebook so are probably the primary target demographic.

And finally you've got the people who may or may not understand/care about the motivations behind cryptocurrency, realize the whole thing is a Ponzi scheme in fancy clothes, but are down with that and can afford to try to leverage their already considerable wealth to pump-and-dump ICOs for some more money. These are probably the ones behind ZuckerBucks in the first place and whose activities will drive them to look successful whenever they do launch and whose withdrawl from the market once they feel the time is right will drive the value straight into the basement.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I keep seeing ads on TV suggesting to the viewer that they get their investments out of gold and into bitcoin, as gold isn't doing much and bitcoin is the new hotness. It's very silly.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I feel like the company that can track users to absurd levels of detail might not be the most 'acting in good faith lot' for releasing a cryptocurrency

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    I feel like the company that can track users to absurd levels of detail might not be the most 'acting in good faith lot' for releasing a cryptocurrency

But that's the beauty of crypto! You don't need trust! (You totally need trust).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I keep seeing ads on TV suggesting to the viewer that they get their investments out of gold and into bitcoin, as gold isn't doing much and bitcoin is the new hotness. It's very silly.

Who on earth is paying for these ads?

(Crypto exchanges?)

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Who on earth is paying for these ads?

(Crypto exchanges?)

My guess? Somebody who needs the value to go up so they can cash out without losing a ton of money.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.