Options

[chat] as a Service

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Bullet sponges have become one of my least favorite things in modern gaming, after random drops and shitty storytelling.

There is a line though. I don't want every game to be a no counter play, Escape from Tarkov one shot kill experience.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Bullet sponges have become one of my least favorite things in modern gaming, after random drops and shitty storytelling.

I really enjoyed the Devil May Cry games except for how spongy the combat could feel

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm really sad we didn't get a focused individual game for Cap, Thor or Iron Man.

A Thor game where you gallivant around the cosmos and have enormous fights against demons, Norse beasties, giant robots, swarms of aliens, etc., with an action comedy vibe...

Maybe structure it as an absurd cosmic noir, as Thor tries to solve a mystery that he can't smash with Mjolnir, and is especially puzzled when he finds out it isn't Loki behind it

Loki still betrays you no less than three times, of course

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    It's all about tractors as a service now.

Also known as rental equipment

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Nah I'm talking about John Deere claiming you don't own the tractor, you are only licensing it.

Man I'm not reading the article again, but yeah this one was particularly hilarious. I forget why they were hacking em in the first place.

Because you have to use official parts or have someone come out from the shop to certify your tractor if you use offmarket items or the computers will shut the tractor down.

Right it was basically a post check that would just straight up brick your tractor. Truly amazing modern design

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    We registered Thunderlord for school and are now out ar lunch then ice cream I won’t see Nintendo live so I’m going dark till I can

#VoteNoOnTheThunderlordRegistrationAct
    #RecallSenatorKelly

• Options

And you were thinking of going back to destiny?

Ive done exactly zero D2 raids because I hate that shit

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    why does a fuckin tractor even need an on board computer in the first place if not just so that the manufacturer can have complete control over your ability to use it?

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

that's all it needs to do

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah for me I've always preferred an encounter with like more add control, then having to deal with massive hp's. If only because massive hp's are just a slog of a fight in any genre.

Yeah I really did the wow encounters where I had to do something with an add or groups of them.

Even if they were mindlessly tank and spanks otherwise. Fights like Grobbulus or Kel'Thuzad were fun.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    you wouldn't download a tractor

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    why does a fuckin tractor even need an on board computer in the first place if not just so that the manufacturer can have complete control over your ability to use it?

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

Probably for a lot of the same reason your car has one.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

Modern tractors have as much technology integration as airplanes.... well near heh.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts make money

that's all it needs to do the means of production must be tightly controlled or else the workers will rise up

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    you wouldn't download a tractor

I mean...

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

amy most D2 raids don't even involve shooting things!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the dog's nickname is now "the biter"

appropriate, I suppose

*rubs ankles*

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    A tractor goes over a tract
    Like an emperor rules over an empire
    And an imperator presides over the imperatives of Immortan Joe, long may he ride eternal and chrome in Valhalla

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

Pretty much every car is the same

mechanic wants to work on your car they have to buy the software from the manufacturer

• Options

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

i dunno cars have all sorts of safety features and gizmos and stuff that make for a safer and more pleasant driving experience

you could argue that's something a tractor could also benefit from, but it feels far less necessary to me

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The Avengers trailer also had the least hype buildup

You should introduce your new Avengers property with a scary but unfamiliar monster, robot, villain, etc who eyeballs a helpless civilian and attacks, and is miraculously stopped cold, and then a dramatic reveal of Captain America standing there with his shield holding back the evildoers, with a swelling orchestral theme. Then Thor or Hulk knocks it across the skyline, etc etc, big hero montage.

• Options

But they involve huge complicated sections dependent on six people being functional enough to coordinate them, as well as huge sponges throughout

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

Modern tractors have as much technology integration as airplanes.... well near heh.

Yeah to my understanding all the like big factory farming style tractors are like super fuckin computerized with like gps and all kinds of other crazy shit you wouldn't expect packed into em.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Maybe our generation will win the "right to repair" war.

I don't want to necessarily fix my car myself, I just want to have the ability to.

Running a diagnostic should not be proprietary.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

But they involve huge complicated sections dependent on six people being functional enough to coordinate them, as well as huge sponges throughout

i mean they are pretty bad, sure

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Hell the first d2 raid demanded you all be on the same foothold for terminology.

"What the fuck is a chalice?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    it's also that a thousand bucks a year sounds pretty cheap

$1000 per computer per year sounds cheap?

yes
    For construction and engineering software, yeah. I’m used to seeing quotes for 20k setup plus 2k-4K per seat per year depending on access needs. Some software charges a percentage of the project.

• Options

Hell the first d2 raid demanded you all be on the same foothold for terminology.

one of the most amusing things to me

you do a D2 raid with a new group of people and everyone knows what they're supposed to do but nobody knows what the fuck the other people are talking about

• Options

i mean they are pretty bad, sure

I mean, I feel bad that I’ve missed so much endgame content, but I just don’t have the patience for that kind of gameplay anymore

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My first rig was an old cables and wheels car. Simple engine that I could take apart and refurb if I needed to. And did a couple times. That was nice.

I also like that my modern car gets more than double its gas milage and is built to stay together without more than lite maintenance for 100-200k miles heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

you do a D2 raid with a new group of people and everyone knows what they're supposed to do but nobody knows what the fuck the other people are talking about

I remember when I did it a couple times we had to use words that sounded different from each other because of how people mumble talk. Like I get coordination and all that jazz, having to do specific fucking call outs or fail? Fuck me.

What's weirdeer is that with the menagerie in their latest dlc they have a matchmade psuedo raid, that is fun? So they can design that shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    zepherin wrote: »

yes
    For construction and engineering software, yeah. I’m used to seeing quotes for 20k setup plus 2k-4K per seat per year depending on access needs. Some software charges a percentage of the project.

I think the software my dad usually uses is about 60k per license or so

EDIT: or per seat, as you put it

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I remember when I did it a couple times we had to use words that sounded different from each other because of how people mumble talk. Like I get coordination and all that jazz, having to do specific fucking call outs or fail? Fuck me.

What's weirdeer is that with the menagerie in their latest dlc they have a matchmade psuedo raid, that is fun? So they can design that shit.

The Menagerie is pretty much exactly what I think a raid should be.

It can be hard, it can be a slog, but it's also not going to dead end you because you can't get the gauntlet calls right or the baths juggling rhythm going.

It's also hard but will obviously get easier as people get better at it.

I like to ART
  • Options

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

i dunno cars have all sorts of safety features and gizmos and stuff that make for a safer and more pleasant driving experience

you could argue that's something a tractor could also benefit from, but it feels far less necessary to me

I think they were sold on it increasing efficiency and being able to be used with other equipment, like if you're using a tow behind combine or something like that (I'm not on the up and up on what they offer or what their equipment is like).

Then when something breaks they weren't told it was only authorized Deere technicians that could fix it, and that they were expensive. These are the kinds of people who would run to the barn and get a toolbox and replace a hose or gasket and keep on going with their day. But if a sensor goes bad it's not like you can fucking tow this behemoth of metal to Mike's shop up the road. Even then, there's a good chance Mike isn't a fucking Deere certified technician because they're keeping them artificially rare to inflate the costs.

Why? Because they're the Adobe of the tractor world, they have no real competition. I mean they do, but you're not going to use a Caterpillar or AGCO tractor if you, your dad, your grandpa, and his grandpappy were all using Deeres.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

yes

Yeah, it depends on the vendor. Procore charges about 0.05% of the estimated revenue of a job for large companies and about 0.1% for midsized companies. It’s amazing though whips P6 and Sage/Timberlines ass in function and features.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I just want to be able to play a thief in an online game and steal the important treasure while the guardian is distracted by the player group knocking about like a bull in a china shop

Basically I would like online games to begin rewarding players either for thinking outside the box or acting along their class roles in a creative way.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    The funny part is the farmers can repair the Deere tractors with the skills they have. But the firmware basically requires someone to put in some codes to make it start running again, like when you need to clear the check engine warning on your car.

So the choice is either pay someone a few hundred/thousand dollars to come out and push buttons on the locked out firmware... or flash it with a hacked Ukrainian firmware image some dude whipped up because Deere didn't have people out there to fix their stuff for weeks at a time.

• Options
    I would also like purposefully integrated secrets/back channels be added to existing raids later to make farming them make more sense.

Like hey, you've completed the raid a few times, here's a your first of several shortcut keys.

I like to ART
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

I think they were sold on it increasing efficiency and being able to be used with other equipment, like if you're using a tow behind combine or something like that (I'm not on the up and up on what they offer or what their equipment is like).

Then when something breaks they weren't told it was only authorized Deere technicians that could fix it, and that they were expensive. These are the kinds of people who would run to the barn and get a toolbox and replace a hose or gasket and keep on going with their day. But if a sensor goes bad it's not like you can fucking tow this behemoth of metal to Mike's shop up the road. Even then, there's a good chance Mike isn't a fucking Deere certified technician because they're keeping them artificially rare to inflate the costs.

Why? Because they're the Adobe of the tractor world, they have no real competition. I mean they do, but you're not going to use a Caterpillar or AGCO tractor if you, your dad, your grandpa, and his grandpappy were all using Deeres.

Mix Apple's artificial/intentional repair difficulty with Stadia's promise to never be able to own anything ever again despite paying for it and you get John Deere.

Fuck that's terrifying.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

yes

Yeah, it depends on the vendor. Procore charges about 0.05% of the estimated revenue of a job for large companies and about 0.1% for midsized companies. It’s amazing though whips P6 and Sage/Timberlines ass in function and features.

this is Petrel, a petroleum industry tool

which doesn't charge a percentage of the revenue since that could get nuts

but like anything, it doesn't have to be a pricey program to make, it's just cost/customers=pretty high, if we're comparing the size of the user base of reservoir engineers to the user base of, say, word

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I bet they'd know what it was if it was a deathcap

Building anything other than AP ever

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

it's a fuckin tractor

it tracts

Mix Apple's artificial/intentional repair difficulty with Stadia's promise to never be able to own anything ever again despite paying for it and you get John Deere.

Fuck that's terrifying.

Welcome to the future

This discussion has been closed.