As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] as a Service

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    It's all about tractors as a service now.

This is the kind of shit that crops up with a company strong arms all their competition out of the market.

"Oh no one exists that can compete with me now? Time to make it so you have to pay our contractors $1500 an hour to come out and fix things"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My problem with the modern loot structure is the loss of rarity and "unattainables". There need to be chase items in RPGs for me to be motivated to play. Its why I bounce off WoW after a few hours. And why I bounce off of Diablo 2. They are firmly in this modern everyone can get everything methodology.

It just tends to kill gameplay for me.

take this the best way, but, for me, I think you might be satan, the devil, and I really hope that no game design caters to you in this respect ever

I mean fine. Its not for everyone. But im not alone either. Im a minority at this point and even for the games that this methodology exists I dont have the time to even devote into it. But.... as for calling me the devil. Whatever whitey.

it's like the absolute anathema of what I want

both that I hate the idea of that as a motivator in the first place and the rarity thing

both are awful

I mean it may be for your but its not for others. Devs have been adding the structure back into games via rogue like methods and the like. FFXIV has a large population of US players and it has this methodology at its core.

There is a push for at least part of the population and devs to add it back. Not all games have to be loot box driven.

what?

I consider that school of thought very closely related to loot boxes, that is so not a dichotomy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i don't know if it's necessarily the case an FPS MMO is more work to design content for than a standard WoW-like (EQ-like!)

MMOs like EQ and WoW have traditionally had content added that those on the top end will plow through relatively quickly and more casual players will take all expansion cycle to play through -- but the content never felt like it was arbitrarily forcing it to take an entire expansion cycle to play through by having all content be time-gated that can only be attempted once every so often

i honestly think the expansion design of a game like destiny 2 was just poorly done and relied too much on skinner box/loot box mechanics. it felt more like a browser game than an actual game, and i was putting a ton of time into the game but couldn't actually accomplish things i was working for because of time locks

EQ/WoW, i can put a ton of time into but i also get rewards out of it for that time in a lot of cases (they both still have shitty RNG-based rewards that it's possible to never actually get)

but it is expected in EQ/WoW type games that expansions come out periodically and that the hardcore players will grind through it quickly and then have to either find other ways to spend their time playing (like rolling alts) or just eventually go do other things until the next expansion comes out

destiny was never designed like that, and was even designed with the intent that you play all three of your alts concurrently

i think it's a mistake to design a game with the intent being you are stringing along your hardest core players with ever-more-elusive carrots on sticks

it's okay to put a game down after you've done everything and then come back to it later

Destiny 2 at launch was very much designed around the idea that you would play, leave and then come back for the next content drop. They were explicit about this. The shift in Y2 with Forsaken was entirely because most of the player base hated that. They wanted to play Destiny and they wanted to be given something to do so they had a reason to log in and play.

And I think you are massively underselling the extent to which, say, WoW was a game designed around playing a lot, all the time. WoW basically originated the repeated daily/weekly quest structure that so many of these games (including Destiny) crib from. The games released the same way: level increase, tons of new content to grind away at to get rewards from various kinds of repeated activities. WoW has between expansion content drops with their patches too that added substantial amount of content, like new raids and such. The main difference is that a game like WoW just has way more shit to do with any content drop so there was always something different to wander off and do.

i guess the difference is the destiny grind is not at all rewarding, and often feels like a complete waste of time

it's interesting to me that year 1, which everyone apparently hated, was actually fun to just log in and shoot some mans with your pals, even if there weren't a whole lot of rewards for doing so

year two there are a million carrots you can chase after, and none of them feel like it's worth your time to do so because they're all completely RNG-based (even the ones that weren't supposed to be because their catch-up mechanics didn't ever actually work), so you could spend literal months chasing a thing and never be able to get it

WoW/EQ have a lot of tedium but there is almost always an actual reward at the end of the grind. in destiny it's literally never guaranteed that your time will have been usefully spent

they may have fixed that now, but they pushed me away so hard i have no interest in coming back to find out

I don't think it's all that different. I remember grinding raids and dungeons forever looking for specific drops in WoW. Especially when I was going achievement/rare cosmetic hunting. Or grinding faction rep. (the ultimate in tedium but I had more free time then). WoW was always either long grind or pray to RNGesus. There was no guarantee of a real reward at the end of a lot of what you were doing, just a chance at getting the reward.

And since then it has been a litany of trying everything under the sun to try to keep gamers in the xpacs after release. To which they have failed either via burnout or the like. They tried the garrison thing. Then the give everyone legendary to grind up thing. Then give everyone a single entity for grinding points item that changes your gear.

They have tried everything and it still is pretty uninviting if what the numbers show are to be believed. Which is sad because this new xpac's story is great.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't know if it's necessarily the case an FPS MMO is more work to design content for than a standard WoW-like (EQ-like!)

MMOs like EQ and WoW have traditionally had content added that those on the top end will plow through relatively quickly and more casual players will take all expansion cycle to play through -- but the content never felt like it was arbitrarily forcing it to take an entire expansion cycle to play through by having all content be time-gated that can only be attempted once every so often

i honestly think the expansion design of a game like destiny 2 was just poorly done and relied too much on skinner box/loot box mechanics. it felt more like a browser game than an actual game, and i was putting a ton of time into the game but couldn't actually accomplish things i was working for because of time locks

EQ/WoW, i can put a ton of time into but i also get rewards out of it for that time in a lot of cases (they both still have shitty RNG-based rewards that it's possible to never actually get)

but it is expected in EQ/WoW type games that expansions come out periodically and that the hardcore players will grind through it quickly and then have to either find other ways to spend their time playing (like rolling alts) or just eventually go do other things until the next expansion comes out

destiny was never designed like that, and was even designed with the intent that you play all three of your alts concurrently

i think it's a mistake to design a game with the intent being you are stringing along your hardest core players with ever-more-elusive carrots on sticks

it's okay to put a game down after you've done everything and then come back to it later

Destiny 2 at launch was very much designed around the idea that you would play, leave and then come back for the next content drop. They were explicit about this. The shift in Y2 with Forsaken was entirely because most of the player base hated that. They wanted to play Destiny and they wanted to be given something to do so they had a reason to log in and play.

And I think you are massively underselling the extent to which, say, WoW was a game designed around playing a lot, all the time. WoW basically originated the repeated daily/weekly quest structure that so many of these games (including Destiny) crib from. The games released the same way: level increase, tons of new content to grind away at to get rewards from various kinds of repeated activities. WoW has between expansion content drops with their patches too that added substantial amount of content, like new raids and such. The main difference is that a game like WoW just has way more shit to do with any content drop so there was always something different to wander off and do.

i guess the difference is the destiny grind is not at all rewarding, and often feels like a complete waste of time

it's interesting to me that year 1, which everyone apparently hated, was actually fun to just log in and shoot some mans with your pals, even if there weren't a whole lot of rewards for doing so

year two there are a million carrots you can chase after, and none of them feel like it's worth your time to do so because they're all completely RNG-based (even the ones that weren't supposed to be because their catch-up mechanics didn't ever actually work), so you could spend literal months chasing a thing and never be able to get it

WoW/EQ have a lot of tedium but there is almost always an actual reward at the end of the grind. in destiny it's literally never guaranteed that your time will have been usefully spent

they may have fixed that now, but they pushed me away so hard i have no interest in coming back to find out

I don't think it's all that different. I remember grinding raids and dungeons forever looking for specific drops in WoW. Especially when I was going achievement/rare cosmetic hunting. Or grinding faction rep. (the ultimate in tedium but I had more free time then). WoW was always either long grind or pray to RNGesus. There was no guarantee of a real reward at the end of a lot of what you were doing, just a chance at getting the reward.

that did exist in WoW for sure, and EQ as well

but it never felt as shitty and pointless as it did for me in Destiny 2, especially Destiny 2 Forsaken/Black Armory

i don't recall any item in EQ that i was just never able to get by the time the next expansion was out

much less any item that it was literally impossible for me to get if i didn't get in on the ground floor and grind it out first thing, like with some of Destiny 2's PVP and Gambit rewards

EQ definitely had other problems, like being able to lock other players out of content because you have it permacamped, but that's really unrelated to the design problem with GaaS

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote: »
    @vanguard I secretly bought a hologram infinite jets because I’m a trifling reprobate

No it’s good you signaled me because I stepped out for breakfast in the mountain

Buy all the pedalssssss

(I want a Meris Enzo)

@desc

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It's been brought to my attention that I'm expected to be in a meeting at 11 today.

This is terrible.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    My problem with the modern loot structure is the loss of rarity and "unattainables". There need to be chase items in RPGs for me to be motivated to play. Its why I bounce off WoW after a few hours. And why I bounce off of Diablo 2. They are firmly in this modern everyone can get everything methodology.

It just tends to kill gameplay for me.

take this the best way, but, for me, I think you might be satan, the devil, and I really hope that no game design caters to you in this respect ever

I mean fine. Its not for everyone. But im not alone either. Im a minority at this point and even for the games that this methodology exists I dont have the time to even devote into it. But.... as for calling me the devil. Whatever whitey.

it's like the absolute anathema of what I want

both that I hate the idea of that as a motivator in the first place and the rarity thing

both are awful

I mean it may be for your but its not for others. Devs have been adding the structure back into games via rogue like methods and the like. FFXIV has a large population of US players and it has this methodology at its core.

There is a push for at least part of the population and devs to add it back. Not all games have to be loot box driven.

what?

I consider that school of thought very closely related to loot boxes, that is so not a dichotomy

It was meant at to jab at what devs are adding into these games in place of chase items. They push them off into cosmetics and the like in loot boxes. It is THE standard of today for Korean and other F2P models.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    i don't think raids should necessarily be able to be done with three people or solo, but it is stupid how long it takes to do them in destiny if you don't have a group that has played together every night and ground it out over the course of months to the point where it's on farm

In my experience doing it with your friends/clanmates/whatever is what takes the longest. Because people want to do it organically without looking up the strats or you are teaching people or just doing some side stuff or whatever. LFG raids are usually fast all business affairs. Everyone is just trying to get it done as fast as possible.

Except right after a new raid has dropped and people are still underleveled.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking Christ that Avengers game is ugly

Like, Injustice ugly

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Like, Injustice ugly

It looks worse than the Arkham games which came out in 2009. Literally 10 year old games look better.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i have never been a fan of the mechanic of working for a reward i may never actually achieve because it's such a rare drop, and purely obtained through hitting that 0.1% drop rate or whatever

an item should be rare because it's difficult to get, not because its chance to drop is ridiculously low

if you want me to have a 1 in 1000 chance of getting an item, make me kill 1000 mooks to get it, but give me that verifiable and attainable goal

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    s3sxwxhpppxz.jpg

lOoT bOxEs

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    i have never been a fan of the mechanic of working for a reward i may never actually achieve because it's such a rare drop, and purely obtained through hitting that 0.1% drop rate or whatever

an item should be rare because it's difficult to get, not because its chance to drop is ridiculously low

if you want me to have a 1 in 1000 chance of getting an item, make me kill 1000 mooks to get it, but give me that verifiable and attainable goal

I can agree with this. The main issue in the past for adding this in was the limitations of the technology I would wager. And the aspect of general availability of information online and what do you do if people find a way to cheese it?

I remember there was that MMO that tried to put in rather tough puzzles into its game that you had to research out in game and in an in game browser.... problem was Google began to index its results around the people searching for information and spoiling the puzzle with top results. lol.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think we all feel the Avengers game's graphics look worse than they actually do because we're so put off by the Marvel heroes not looking the way we have been primed to think of them as looking.

It's still a disaster, don't get me wrong.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Like, Injustice ugly

It looks worse than the Arkham games which came out in 2009. Literally 10 year old games look better.

Those character models are embarrassingly bad

The voice actors sound like they came free with the mixing studio rental

• Options

that did exist in WoW for sure, and EQ as well

but it never felt as shitty and pointless as it did for me in Destiny 2, especially Destiny 2 Forsaken/Black Armory

i don't recall any item in EQ that i was just never able to get by the time the next expansion was out

much less any item that it was literally impossible for me to get if i didn't get in on the ground floor and grind it out first thing, like with some of Destiny 2's PVP and Gambit rewards

EQ definitely had other problems, like being able to lock other players out of content because you have it permacamped, but that's really unrelated to the design problem with GaaS

I'm not aware of any rewards in D2 that you can't get if you weren't in on the ground floor for. Except Redrix's Claymore and the reaction to that was so negative they introduced Redrix's Broadsword next season which was exactly the same but with a different name so that the people who did the insane grind for the Claymore didn't get mad. All the content is still there and all the rewards are still obtainable. (Hell, I spent last season focused on grinding out all the PvP pinnacle rewards that had been piling up since Forsaken dropped because I hadn't had time earlier and I'd put it off for another day)

Meanwhile I never got Baron Rivendare's Steed to drop. The One Thousand Voices of it's day or something.

I don't know. I feel like you are attributing your own differing reactions to something fundamental in the design rather then something more specific to you and your experience and how you were feeling at those different times. I don't think the design of any MMO-type game has really shifted drastically on this account in a long time. You want people to play but you can't generate new content as fast as the players can consume it. So you make them repeat the content and either they work towards a goal or they roll the dice over and over till they win.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Like, Injustice ugly

Injustice 2 pulled itself together before release.
    6evq8qbtds33.jpg

Avengers will do the same.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    the best loot system is the one that gives me the loot that I want
    but doesn't give it to me too easily because then I'll stop playing cause I got all my loot

slip one millimeter too far in either direction and your game sucks shit

• Options

hmm you're playing EQ tho?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think we all feel the Avengers game's graphics look worse than they actually do because we're so put off by the Marvel heroes not looking the way we have been primed to think of them as looking.

It's still a disaster, don't get me wrong.

They did that to themselves though. The designs are clearly bad knockoffs of the actors that are now what people associate with those characters. Especially given they've chosen to heavily lean into the MCU aesthetic.

Basically they've decided to not just set up camp, but like lay down a concrete foundation in a kind of uncanny valley.

shryke on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Like, Injustice ugly

I think you're meant to say It looks like a PS2 game, if internet hyperbole has taught me anything.

sig.gif
  • Options
    but doesn't give it to me too easily because then I'll stop playing cause I got all my loot

Ridiculous! If you won't play a game because there's no fresh loot to collect, you're dealing with a bad game!

• Options
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Like, Injustice ugly

Injustice 2 pulled itself together before release.
    6evq8qbtds33.jpg

Avengers will do the same.

God I hope so. I’d like to play a good Avengers game.

• Options

Ridiculous! If you won't play a game because there's no fresh loot to collect, you're dealing with a bad game!

I don't make the rules

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Also known as rental equipment

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Nah I'm talking about John Deere claiming you don't own the tractor, you are only licensing it.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options

it's gotten a lot better about this in the last 20 years

really those super rare spawns haven't been as much of a thing since, like, planes of power, which was 2002

• Options
    there have been other nonsense gatekeeping mechanics since planes of power, though, don't get me wrong

but it's not the same game it was in 1999, and it's pretty much all been improvement

• Options

it's gotten a lot better about this in the last 20 years

really those super rare spawns haven't been as much of a thing since, like, planes of power, which was 2002

Yeah its much more modern grindy now. Which is why I play on shards heh. :)

• Options

I don't make the rules

You're the consumer and the industry caters to your mad whims. You and other paying customers make all the rules!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    MMO and FPS hybrids are awful game designs because bullet spongy enemies are an awful way to add complexity and difficulty.

I've seen it done well and badly

Destiny 2, to me, actually feels like a great shooter. Mooks have a reasonable TTK, bosses are bosses.

I never got into the Division even though that aesthetic is my jam because the bullet sponging was rough

I only touched Destiny 1 for like 8 seconds but Division's bullet sponge stuff makes me bored. I feel the same way about skyrim on normal difficulty. Shit just takes an awful long time to kill people. Even on easy some of the later bosses still have a large pool of health.

I didn't really get into Destiny 2, I did like Destiny okay

The bullet sponginess isn't a problem for me in a Destiny, because I have no context for how many space bullets a large space orc takes to kill

In The Division it's different, I know that Alex #340 from Brooklyn should take at most a few bullets to kill

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Nah I'm talking about John Deere claiming you don't own the tractor, you are only licensing it.

Man I'm not reading the article again, but yeah this one was particularly hilarious. I forget why they were hacking em in the first place.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Man I'm not reading the article again, but yeah this one was particularly hilarious. I forget why they were hacking em in the first place.

In order to perform basic repairs!

• Options

Because you have to use official parts or have someone come out from the shop to certify your tractor if you use offmarket items or the computers will shut the tractor down.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

John Deere was only allowing their official people to work on the tractors and there aren't enough of them and they overcharge enormously.

They also tried to claim that people didn't actually own the tractors they only license them.

Edit: this wasn't just for software issues either. It would know if you replaced other parts and lock you out.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    We registered Thunderlord for school and are now out ar lunch then ice cream I won’t see Nintendo live so I’m going dark till I can

• Options
    Bullet sponges have become one of my least favorite things in modern gaming, after random drops and shitty storytelling.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Bullet sponges have become one of my least favorite things in modern gaming, after random drops and shitty storytelling.

And you were thinking of going back to destiny?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly the John Deere stuff is what should scare people about stadia.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah for me I've always preferred an encounter with like more add control, then having to deal with massive hp's. If only because massive hp's are just a slog of a fight in any genre.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.