As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    grcarogrcaro Registered User regular
    New Supra car looks are already growing on me but I don't think it's beautiful nor do I think it'll age as well as the last one. However, my list disappointments:
    7(?) artificial air intakes
    No manual
    Too futuristic
    No big wing
    No better ode to previous back lights

Still I like that it's there. If the public is battling it out over 0-60 or 0-100 times automatic gearboxes are going to beat out the manuals.

In terms of what I think would sell against this car as well as the Subaru BRX, is an updated car that fit the criteria:

Inline-6: >= 3.0L
    HP: >=315hp
    Weight: <= 2900lb
    gearbox: 6 speed gearbox
    drive by wire

FMD design, RW drive.

Imagine a BMW Z4 or Z3 that has no electronic or stability control bloat, no video monitoring, etc. Something more like the BMW Z8 or Honda S2000 in terms of driver focus.

Do you think it's possible to get that to market? I wonder how far back it would look to have an inline 6 take that much room behind the front axle.

I wonder if the public would prefer an inline 6 with BMW factory ITBs pumping 100 hp/liter or if people would rather an inline 4 supercharged pumping 180 hp/liter.

Anyway, it's a long rant. I don't find the Subaru BRZ That impressive given the underpowered engine. I mean, it's a beautiful car and sitting in it is awesome. I don't find the Toyota Supra particularly amazing either considering how long we had to wait, and how adult it is.

grcaro.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    A couple of years ago I had my last car professionally detailed and was really happy with the results. I thought about doing it again but it's also something I've wanted to be able to do myself before I went and had it professionally done. This time I decided I'd invest in what stuff I didn't already have and do it myself. The upfront cost is certainly higher but it's still less than having the detail done twice a year and I'll have the tools and everything else for years.

I'm kind of looking forward to it too. I've never used a DA orbital but I've watched enough videos to I feel like I have some idea what to do and expect. The front bumper/fascia on my Lexus has a lot of small elements and areas, so hopefully the 3" backing plate will be small enough that I won't have to do it by hand. Worst case though I apply the jewelers wax by hand. The thing I'm most looking forward to using is the pressure washer and foam cannon. The garden hose/non-pressure one I've been using never really worked that well. Looking back on what it cost me I should have just spent a little more money on a basic power washer to start with.

The weather here has been miserably lately, so between it raining every other day and some things still being shipped it'll be at least a week before I can get started.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    With the orbital, use a light touch and always keep moving. You can easily burn the clear coat otherwise.

Also if it's a plug in model with a short cord wrap the plug in a rag once you've hooked it up. You will bump your car with it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    With the orbital, use a light touch and always keep moving. You can easily burn the clear coat otherwise.

Also if it's a plug in model with a short cord wrap the plug in a rag once you've hooked it up. You will bump your car with it.

You can also wear a long-sleeved shirt and run the cord up your sleeve and out your shirt at the waist.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    grcaro wrote: »
    New Supra car looks are already growing on me but I don't think it's beautiful nor do I think it'll age as well as the last one. However, my list disappointments:
    7(?) artificial air intakes
    No manual
    Too futuristic
    No big wing
    No better ode to previous back lights

Still I like that it's there. If the public is battling it out over 0-60 or 0-100 times automatic gearboxes are going to beat out the manuals.

In terms of what I think would sell against this car as well as the Subaru BRX, is an updated car that fit the criteria:

Inline-6: >= 3.0L
    HP: >=315hp
    Weight: <= 2900lb
    gearbox: 6 speed gearbox
    drive by wire

FMD design, RW drive.

Imagine a BMW Z4 or Z3 that has no electronic or stability control bloat, no video monitoring, etc. Something more like the BMW Z8 or Honda S2000 in terms of driver focus.

Do you think it's possible to get that to market? I wonder how far back it would look to have an inline 6 take that much room behind the front axle.

I wonder if the public would prefer an inline 6 with BMW factory ITBs pumping 100 hp/liter or if people would rather an inline 4 supercharged pumping 180 hp/liter.

Anyway, it's a long rant. I don't find the Subaru BRZ That impressive given the underpowered engine. I mean, it's a beautiful car and sitting in it is awesome. I don't find the Toyota Supra particularly amazing either considering how long we had to wait, and how adult it is.

1st problem is safety regs: have to have a backup cam and some other stuff that necessitates a certain size.
    Electric steering is big because it's very tunable and easy to package and maintain vs older systems.
    Stability control is required for something of that power level to keep people from killing themselves. S2000s have less and already have a reputation for being a bit squirrelly.
    While the heritage stuff like mechanical grip is great fun to think about and occasionally go back to, people generally have adopted a higher level of comfort and safety for their every day sports cars. This would have such a tiny market you'd never make back the hundreds of millions it would take to develop and build it.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Stability control, ABS, Backup camera, airbags, and modern crash protection structures all add weight and are all federally mandated. There's no going back to the old days of analog cars with no aids, and the vast majority of the public would reject such a car anyways.

The manual transmission is effectively dead. Most people don't know how to drive them, and they make up <2% of sales in the US. Autos are also both faster and more efficient. I love manuals and own 2 of them, but the reality is they won't be around much longer.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

You can also wear a long-sleeved shirt and run the cord up your sleeve and out your shirt at the waist.

Pretty much everything I've read and watched has said it's extremely hard to seriously damage your paint with a DA. You'd have to sit in the same spot for many minutes, something you'd never ever do, in order to get that far into the clear coat. I'm welcome to any and all tips though.

I'll primarily be on speed setting 5 doing 4-6 passes on a 2'x2' areas and taking my time with it. Worst case I need two days to get everything done but that's what weekends are for. The weather here has been absolutely miserable. It's either raining every other day or occasionally sunny. I'm hoping for an overcast day so I can work in the driveway, but worst case I decontaminate and wash in the driveway and then pull into the garage to clay bar and polish/wax (I'll be using Mckee's 37 jeweling wax which is more or less an AIO). The lighting isn't ideal but it's better than doing it in hot sun if that's the only other choice.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    hello car thread i am a car friend83cjjkwiv6j4.jpg

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Hello car friend! I am also driving an F-body these days, picked up a 95 Z/28 last week.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Stability control, ABS, Backup camera, airbags, and modern crash protection structures all add weight and are all federally mandated. There's no going back to the old days of analog cars with no aids, and the vast majority of the public would reject such a car anyways.

The manual transmission is effectively dead. Most people don't know how to drive them, and they make up <2% of sales in the US. Autos are also both faster and more efficient. I love manuals and own 2 of them, but the reality is they won't be around much longer.

Boutique car makers still make analog style cars, but you are going to be paying a premium for them due to their low production numbers and custom nature.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just made a deposit on a CRF250L Rally. Am stoked

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular

Where's my "Sad Agree" reaction button?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Boutique car makers still make analog style cars, but you are going to be paying a premium for them due to their low production numbers and custom nature.

Yeah Caterham still exist.

• Options

Yeah Caterham still exist.

I would love a Caterham 7, or a Morgan 3 wheeler.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Chris Harris has a video with both the Morgan and Caterham. Once I get home, I'll link it, but it really shows what that kind of driving is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htI3weS49cc

Krieghund on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yesterday, Autoweek journalist Rory Carroll posted this:

Tonight he posted this, and it's not a joke:

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Taking "drive it like you stole it" a little too literally?

• Options
    There's a ring of car thieves in Detroit targeting Mopars. Several press cars have been stolen along with lots of personal cars, and it's pretty widely suspected that dirty cops are working with them. A friend of a friend's gray Scat Pack was stolen last night.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There's a ring of car thieves in Detroit targeting Mopars. Several press cars have been stolen along with lots of personal cars, and it's pretty widely suspected that dirty cops are working with them. A friend of a friend's gray Scat Pack was stolen last night.

Condolences but I would totally watch this movie.

• Options

Condolences but I would totally watch this movie.

"The Michigan Job"

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Well, I can pick my bike up any time after 4:00ish tomorrow. Suh-weet.

Got a whole ton of pretty nice gear effectively bundled in, too, which makes life that much better

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I did a thing.

vgblPTV.jpg

iFzjWfS.jpg

I am very happy with the thing.

• Options
  • Options
    IMG-20190619-174126.jpg
    IMG-20190619-181133.jpg

Got home from the bike shop, which was my first time really hitting public roads at any kind of proper speed or traffic (though I took a quiet-as-possible scenic route just to make life easy)

Turns out wrangling a bike with a 35" seat height can be tricky on some slopes, and I dropped it twice while stopped - nothing damaged beyond a few scuffs, and a slightly abbreviated brake lever. Guess I just gotta build up that leg muscle and coordination, and add on barkbusters to guard my levers and bars!

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I did a thing.

vgblPTV.jpg

iFzjWfS.jpg

I am very happy with the thing.

Aww fuck yeah, bud!

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    IMG-20190619-174126.jpg
    IMG-20190619-181133.jpg

Got home from the bike shop, which was my first time really hitting public roads at any kind of proper speed or traffic (though I took a quiet-as-possible scenic route just to make life easy)

Turns out wrangling a bike with a 35" seat height can be tricky on some slopes, and I dropped it twice while stopped - nothing damaged beyond a few scuffs, and a slightly abbreviated brake lever. Guess I just gotta build up that leg muscle and coordination, and add on barkbusters to guard my levers and bars!

Aww fuck yeah, bud!

• Options
    Day 2 of playing with the 350 lb exercise machine was mostly finding a good parking lot near me and doing figure 8s and right turns til exhaustion

This bike is a total workout but dammit I'm enjoying it

Yes, I probably could've started with a CB300F or similar, but there's something charming to me about figuring out the maneuvering basics in a Dark Souls-y cycle of fail/learn/respawn/improve til you find a new failure/learn/etc that the tall seat adds

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The rearview camera on my 2017 mustang recently gave out. It will still detect if I'm close to hitting something, but it doesn't actually display what's behind me. Time to check if it's still under warranty, but I bought it a little over two years ago so I doubt it.

• Options
    Day 2 of playing with the 350 lb exercise machine was mostly finding a good parking lot near me and doing figure 8s and right turns til exhaustion

Yes, I probably could've started with a CB300F or similar, but there's something charming to me about figuring out the maneuvering basics in a Dark Souls-y cycle of fail/learn/respawn/improve til you find a new failure/learn/etc that the tall seat adds

The dealership set the suspension up for you properly, yeah? Static sag at the rear should be around 100mm, from memory. Also a bunch of company's make low profile seats, Ballard's here in Australia should be able to sort you out fairly cheaply (because our dollar is in the toilet at the moment).

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    The rearview camera on my 2017 mustang recently gave out. It will still detect if I'm close to hitting something, but it doesn't actually display what's behind me. Time to check if it's still under warranty, but I bought it a little over two years ago so I doubt it.

I believe Ford's warranty is 3 year /36k mile for that kind of stuff

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

I believe Ford's warranty is 3 year /36k mile for that kind of stuff

Wasn't sure if it was 2 or 3 years. Definitely going to check in the morning. Having to take it in three times within 12 months is just annoying. Once because someone backed into me. Once due to an issue with my brake calipers. Now this. Took over a month to get out of the shop due to the caliper issue.

• Options
    edited June 2019

The dealership set the suspension up for you properly, yeah? Static sag at the rear should be around 100mm, from memory. Also a bunch of company's make low profile seats, Ballard's here in Australia should be able to sort you out fairly cheaply (because our dollar is in the toilet at the moment).

Ooh, I'll check out Ballard's eventually

For now I'll have to dial in the rear suspension settings, I think they cranked up the pre-load a bit more KTM-style than Honda-esque because they mostly deal in Euro bikes (I do want some farkles like barkbusters soon, but buying this bike and nice summer gear was the majority of my expendable income for the next month and a half, woops)

edit: went out and just tried sitting on the bike barefoot, turns out the suspension travel is fine - I'm on the balls of my feet barefoot and can nearly flat foot it in boots. my real problem is, I need to build the reflex to slide to the right and prop up the bike with my right foot more on certain stops (especially uphill stops and certain right turns where the road cambers steeply), and get a tad more leg beefiness going

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Oh, static sag is with the bike unloaded. Of course it should squat more with you sitting on it, too.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Some insight from people I've talked to, especially folks who are shorter but have the mondo huge and tall adventure bikes, is giving me a new take on what might be going on

Basically, I need to start using the rear brake more for the last little bit of a stop, especially on the CRF250L where the front is so fucking divey from the factory. Loading the front brake up into a stop is basically telling the bike to put the front end into the ground, which it will happily do! If I rear brake more on the final 0.2mph->0mph bit of stopping power, I should be able to almost always use my left foot to prop the bike up really effectively once I do hit that full stop.

I definitely do need to get the suspension on this rebuilt to spec for my being 185 lbs in gear, given this bike seems to assume everyone is 120 lbs, but for now I'm going to learn around it's quirks

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Oh, yea, rear brake for the final stoppage all the time, especially if the road surface is a little slippy.

• Options
    Yeah if your front suspension is rebounding significantly when you actually come to a halt, you're holding too much pressure on the front brakes at the end of braking - it's like how in a car you ease off the pressure on the brake pedal at the end of a stop so that you don't get that little jerk as you stop from the suspension reacting to the weight transfer load coming off it, but on a bike!

• Options
    I knew you Aussies would come through here with the dirt bike wisdom

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    grcaro wrote: »

You want a small Viper? As of now almost almost everything you posted is required by law in the states at least. Even Dodge the last real provocateurs were forced to put stability control and traction control on the Gen V ACR.

As for I6 the modern ones are seriously long for some reason so to get it to balance it would take a lot of effort to move it back.

• Options
    Pfft, just buy a 1st gen Miata and put an LS3 in it.

• Options
    Pfft, just buy a 1st gen Miata and put an LS3 in it.

A Lotus Elise would be a lot of fun too, and a bit more exotic.