As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Is the CZ-11 based on a SLBM? The launch looks really, really similar to what you'd expect to see from a sub missile.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    There's speculation the CZ-11 is based on the DF-31 missile, which is a land mobile tube launched ICBM.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Is the CZ-11 based on a SLBM? The launch looks really, really similar to what you'd expect to see from a sub missile.

Some ground based silo launched missiles launch similarly. Think it's to protect the engines. Basically shoot it out like a bullet, discard a protective engine cover then fire it up in mid air. Here's a Dnepr (converted SS-18 icbm) launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwvNuZLASdE

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Maintaining their usual levels of ambition from the last few years, the Indian Space Research Organization announced today (n.b., mildly annoying news site) that they're planning to build and launch a space station by 2030. The plan seems to be deployments of several weeks at a time to start, and for it to be an entirely domestic project - the ISRO is increasingly big on its independence and tends to avoid international projects when they can.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Maintaining their usual levels of ambition from the last few years, the Indian Space Research Organization announced today (n.b., mildly annoying news site) that they're planning to build and launch a space station by 2030. The plan seems to be deployments of several weeks at a time to start, and for it to be an entirely domestic project - the ISRO is increasingly big on its independence and tends to avoid international projects when they can.
    Whilst conceptually cool, it's pretty crazy that a nation where ~31% of it's citizens can't read is planning on building a space station.
    Will that 31% really know (or care) that the station even exists once it is built? They're probably too busy trying to get access to basic sanitation or escape systemic poverty.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »

Some ground based silo launched missiles launch similarly. Think it's to protect the engines. Basically shoot it out like a bullet, discard a protective engine cover then fire it up in mid air. Here's a Dnepr (converted SS-18 icbm) launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwvNuZLASdE

That brown-orange smoke around the start of the launch (N2O4 and hydrazine) is spooky to see in action like that.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Whilst conceptually cool, it's pretty crazy that a nation where ~31% of it's citizens can't read is planning on building a space station.
    Will that 31% really know (or care) that the station even exists once it is built? They're probably too busy trying to get access to basic sanitation or escape systemic poverty.

I've heard this crazy theory that a country with over a billion citizens is capable of working on at least three things at once.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Oh, I know. I'm not saying they shouldn't build it (I love space; I want more humans in space, from all nations, we all benefit), it's just a particularly iconic example of the tremendous socio-economic disparity that exists in Indian society.

• Options
    Anyone want to buy a large plane?

https://robbreport.com/motors/aviation/stratolaunch-the-worlds-biggest-plane-is-on-sale-for-400-million-2854822/

Not every out there project can succeed, at least Stratolaunch had one flight.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

https://robbreport.com/motors/aviation/stratolaunch-the-worlds-biggest-plane-is-on-sale-for-400-million-2854822/

Meanwhile, Antonov's An-225 is still flying after +30 years of pretty continuous service, the demolishing of its original payload, and its owner country being dissolved. Truly, we live in the worse timeline.

(No, not really. But I was genuinely expecting Stratolaunch...and the Stratolaunch company...to use this thing for at least a few years.)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »

Meanwhile, Antonov's An-225 is still flying after +30 years of pretty continuous service, the demolishing of its original payload, and its owner country being dissolved. Truly, we live in the worse timeline.

(No, not really. But I was genuinely expecting Stratolaunch...and the Stratolaunch company...to use this thing for at least a few years.)

Allen's untimely death most likely took the wind out of their sails, and with nobody to fill the void...

The lesson here is that succession planning is important.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Edit oops, nm

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    At 11:30 pm EDT SpaceX will be attempting to launch their 3rd Falcon Heavy with the various payloads of the STP-2 mission atop it. This will be a very challenging launch from the perspective of landing the center booster, with the drone ship over 1200 km's downrange and from the perspective of payload deployment, with the second stage being required to do four separate burns over the course of six hours or so.

Many of the varied and interesting experimental payloads are detailed here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4buv8k-NkQ

Barring another random URL change you can watch live here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxH4CAlhtiQ

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Awww. Looks like they've pushed back later in the launch window, to 2:30 EDT. No way I can stay up for that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was super excited to watch this one, but even for the west coast that's 11:30...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Center core missed the drone ship live on the broadcast. Side boosters landed back at the Cape without issues.

I watched this from 20-25 miles away to the south, this FH was absolutely hauling ass at the start of the launch. Should be some neat pictures of the center stage core lighting up the exhaust from the two side boosters

edit: to give a bit more context for those who can't watch a clip later: The barge was something like 600+ miles off the coast, far enough out that the sky was already starting to brighten, and the center core had to do a 3-engine burn instead of the normal burn because of how hot it was coming in. I'd hazard a guess that the odds probably weren't in favor of this one no matter how hard they tried.

edit2: Watching again, they might have purposefully missed due to something else going wrong on the decent. It veers way off to one side and is tilted over pretty far when it hits

ronzo on
  • Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    They caught a fairing! And saw the other one in the water.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    ronzo wrote: »
    Center core missed the drone ship live on the broadcast. Side boosters landed back at the Cape without issues.

I watched this from 20-25 miles away to the south, this FH was absolutely hauling ass at the start of the launch. Should be some neat pictures of the center stage core lighting up the exhaust from the two side boosters

edit: to give a bit more context for those who can't watch a clip later: The barge was something like 600+ miles off the coast, far enough out that the sky was already starting to brighten, and the center core had to do a 3-engine burn instead of the normal burn because of how hot it was coming in. I'd hazard a guess that the odds probably weren't in favor of this one no matter how hard they tried.

edit2: Watching again, they might have purposefully missed due to something else going wrong on the decent. It veers way off to one side and is tilted over pretty far when it hits

I mean, its always aimed somewhat off, and this was definitely a stretch to catch the middle core here. I'll have to watch the video though, this one sounds like a good one to watch.

Edit:
    The infrared shot of the booster coming in looks super cool. I feel like that's way more detail than I normally notice on a typical shot.

Edit edit: Yeah, it looks like they had already centered their suicide slam, and probably decided they were going too fast. It looks like it tilted itself over to try and get as far a way from the drone ship as possible, cause the last time it impacted the water at high velocity right next to the ship, the ship was out of service for months.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Watched the replay back.

Damn. The 4th burn of the second stage REALLY kicked the speed up. The 3rd burn just radically changed the apogee, but maaaan this last burn.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    2nd burn changed inclination while the 3rd burn raised its orbit and changed orbit inclination. So on the 4th burn all the energy went to forward momentum to circularize orbit since inclination was already set.

It's too bad about the center core, maybe the fourth try will be the charm.

Citing the results of this launch the US Air Force has approved Falcon Heavy for defense department payloads: https://www.afspc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1886864/first-falcon-heavy-mission-for-defense-department-successfully-launched/

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    edit: wrong thread

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    So NASA settled on its next big decadal mission and after narrowing it down from a number of proposals they settled on the obvious one.

If things go well by 2034 we'll have an autonomous nuclear-powered drone helicopter gallivanting around the most flight-friendly environment in the solar system.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I’m not a fan of nominal flight abort tests. I personally think they should be testing the system by simulating a rocket failure and seeing how the automated response works. And by ‘simulating’ I mean strapping a block of C4 with a remote detonator to a structural member, or something else important.
    If these fireworks are gonna be my only real protection against a RUD event, I want them tested as close as possible to that. That’s how they test aircraft engines after all…

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I agree but won't dance around with logic: rocket failure videos are way more fun to watch than that was.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of nominal flight abort tests. I personally think they should be testing the system by simulating a rocket failure and seeing how the automated response works. And by ‘simulating’ I mean strapping a block of C4 with a remote detonator to a structural member, or something else important.
    If these fireworks are gonna be my only real protection against a RUD event, I want them tested as close as possible to that. That’s how they test aircraft engines after all…

Test nominal for baseline, then test catastrophic. :)

Athenor on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

That was actually done once, unintentionally. I can't remember which rocket but one early test launch failed and the LES fired.

• Options
    SpaceX put up some amazing footage of the STP-2 fairing re-entering the atmosphere.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Incredibly sad news out of South Africa

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/africa/africas-first-would-be-astronaut-dies-intl/index.html
    Mandla Maseko, the South African former DJ who won a chance to become the first black African in space, has died in a motorbike crash, his family said in a statement.

Maseko, 30, beat 1 million other contenders to win a trip to space sponsored by the Axe Apollo Space Academy, which had yet to be scheduled by the time of his death.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm envious of myself," Maseko said at the time in a Guardian interview. "I'm not trying to make this a race thing, but us blacks grew up dreaming to a certain stage. You dreamed of being a policeman or a lawyer, but you knew you won't get as far as pilot or astronaut.

"Then I went to space camp and I thought, I can actually be an astronaut."

:cry:

• Options
    Fuck. :(

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Hayabusa2, the Japanese asteroid sample mission, successfully touched down on the asteroid Ryugu, took some photographs, made its collection, and has successfully launched back off the surface. It will be heading back to Earth later this year with those samples.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    India is attempting land a new rover on the moon tomorrow!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    That's the launch; if transit takes 3 days, that should get it there almost bang on the anniversary. Nice.
    (I suspect the timing is not a coincidence.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    The launch was scrubbed an hour ago, unfortunately.

• Options
    Awww.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Also apparently it's a months-long journey:
    Chandrayaan-2 had intended to touch down on the moon no sooner than Sept. 6, taking a slow, fuel-efficient path to the moon.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/science/chandrayaan-2-india-moon.html

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Also apparently it's a months-long journey:
    Chandrayaan-2 had intended to touch down on the moon no sooner than Sept. 6, taking a slow, fuel-efficient path to the moon.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/science/chandrayaan-2-india-moon.html
    Awww.

• Options
    Is this where we post the super fuel efficient path that looks like it was the result of a drunk driver?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is this where we post the super fuel efficient path that looks like it was the result of a drunk driver?

I was trying to find it again, but didn't know the search team, and didn't remember if I posted it in this thread or the science one and didn't wanna look too long.

• Options
    It's not that bad.

ph1lo3868nda.png

This discussion has been closed.