As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    re: Microset/Microsol, I use them and swear by them. Technically Microset is just a varnish, so you could use 'Ardcoat or some other varnish to get a smooth surface. Microsol is a god send though. Makes getting decals to lay down so much easier.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Microsol can eat through other paints though so make sure you put down some Microset or the gloss varnish of choice first.

Alternatively you can get some neat weathering results just slapping microsol down over things like glazes and washes over metals to eat through.

Badablack on
    FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Really feel like I need to put on two coats of this Gryph-Charger Grey. Way too much white peaking through the paint.

Not looking forward to clean up. Gonna have to hit all the vines and fungus that I hit with some wraithbone after this paint dries.

Definitely gonna do a second coat. I also missed a few small spots I think.

t2N5KOy.jpg
    QkaGbVA.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    GSC Ridgerunners with the wheels removed would make killer Land Speeders.

Yeah, there are a few of those around and they look cool, but essentially every Ridgerunner I see looks cool.
    1008692-.jpg
    60050523_2084401405020751_2216975827795335325_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com&ig_cache_key=MjA1MTc5MTA3NzU3NDA1MzM4Nw%3D%3D.2
    58454052_357144911811640_6536746718871196652_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    Some WIP updates, as the weathering actually went pretty smoothly as far as the decals were involved~
    88qgfhi7vape.jpg
    e3b25y4kp610.jpg
    I did the panel lines this morning on one of the two, and hopefully you can tell the difference. While my partner couldn't, I find it pretty striking, so I'm just not sure. :P
    Some more targeted weathering with powder to do after the panel lines, and then trying to be creative with plastic to create a proper engine output effect. Feeling the home stretch~

Generally feeling pretty good with these guys considering this is how they started:
    36795853486_9e846df030_b.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I can definitely see the one with the paneling. It is the one on the right.
    Now the left.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Heh, good use of spoiler tag. You were definitely one step ahead of me. ;P
    Also, the two things I actually screwed up so far:
    - Forgot that rebel ships have mismatched panels, and didn't remember until I had removed all my masks and was part-way through a topcoat. I was too lazy to go back after that.
    - Forgot to apply panel line before the first layer of weathering. I think it'll all come through fine, but odds are good that there's buildup of the clay in some places I would have wanted the wash to run and it's not giving me the best lines I could be getting. More something to remember for next time.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    A Space Sharksharkadon
    gg0ehMU.jpg
    gDzDZoN.jpg
    2dH0e1J.jpg

Ahhhh! I just looked at this on my laptop. I've only looked at it on my phone. What is that fuzzy stuff on the targeter on his backpack? Dang it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Looking at photos of you own miniatures is the worst.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to get one of the Bandai kits but it's that lore hole I often fall into I want to avoid as I would do the correct flight wing or such for it.
    Or build a diorama....
    I know if I got the X wing for my brother it would not be Luke's but another's

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    honovere wrote: »

Holy shit if this ain't the truthiest truth.

Blown up.images of your own dudes is just one "awww... Fuck" after another.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Holy shit if this ain't the truthiest truth.

Blown up.images of your own dudes is just one "awww... Fuck" after another.

PVhepDK.png

;) Here's my current WIP, guys.
    ZCQ0NsH.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Pretty much done with the first tree. The contrast came out pretty good but it definitely has the "battle ready" look. It is also still drying.

When I looked at it this morning after I put on that first coat of the grey/green contrast paint I actually felt a lot better. It looked much better after drying. Still hit a few spots to darken it but it wasn't an all over second coat which I was not looking forward to doing.
    DlgfbZS.jpg
    pG0y6nA.jpg
    5U97SmW.jpg
    eoi1ZBH.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Wait terrain has it's own base now?

• Options

No, I was just using a knight base I had to stick the terrain to using putty so I could prime it a bit easier.

• Options

Sometimes it happens

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So I have not painted eldar guardians in an epoch {I think the last time was when the new kit came out}
    I had a few left over still white primed and thought I would try out a certain look and see how it would go
    0iwdvl41kygc.jpg
    The Undersuit of black red armor panels and a black helm with a white face
    pr9jjqtlerk4.png
    I need to get a smaller brush as my tiny brushes did not make through storage
    After that I can see why people just do all color suits with a different color helm

Brainleech on
  • Options
    I know I have the time to paint but it's been too hot to primer and when it cools down so I can it's too dark or the neighborhood comes alive with coyote howls feral cats noises and strange people
    Alas

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I got around to painting a Burning Chariot of Tzeentch that I made. I went with the Burning Chariot over the herald on Chariot cause I liked the unique spell the herald on foot had. Eventually I'll get a start collecting Daemons of Tzeentch box and make the herald on chariot anyhow. I did not use any contrast paints, I can't afford new paints at this point anyhow.

Full size versions of all the images can be found here.

vOANtGNh.jpg
    aN5rgpbh.jpg
    t7gkn1Fh.jpg
    habXLOlh.jpg
    GhPox49h.jpg
    pm0ODieh.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Playing around with some NMM gold for these Daemonettes, the bases are themed for the Realm of Metal using regular metallic paints, and I want the demons themselves to appear detached from the environment they're invading, so NMM. I don't know if I quite have the technique down yet, but I feel it's not too bad for a first attempt, will keep experimenting!

dlel0ovvenqb.jpg
    8ess9gd3lbm0.jpg
    t8bwzdzsc1yg.jpg

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    I'm currently trying to decide what colors I should make all the odds and ends on my Genestealer Cultists. Particularly, I don't know what color to make the tabards (which are red on the standard ones) and the Cult symbols (which are bronze-ish with iron chains)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The cult ones seem right but as for the tabards it's just a symbol of the cult or what side it's on as in what most insurgents mark themselves as? Why not try others like yellow or white?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    Tabard might not have been the best word? Also I'm already making their armor bronze so I don't really want to make their cult symbols the same color

this is the "default" scheme
    99120117004_GenestealerNeophytes01.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Sweat rag, scrap of cloth, I know what you were trying to describe but what are you doing the suits as? As it is supposed to stand out from it as a indicator? or just a part of the model and it's every day life

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    I'm painting them up like old timey diving suits, right now they look like this (picture is a bit bright but the clothing color is right) but I do want that bit to stick out. I'm thinking maybe making it like an ocean blue? But I'm also probably making their Tyranid carapace armor a shade of dark blue

2ZzmPhM.png

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm painting them up like old timey diving suits, right now they look like this (picture is a bit bright but the clothing color is right) but I do want that bit to stick out. I'm thinking maybe making it like an ocean blue? But I'm also probably making their Tyranid carapace armor a shade of dark blue

2ZzmPhM.png

Maybe seafoam green?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    So these are some old ass terminators I have. The painted ones were done by the person who I bought a majority of my Space Wolves from. Well the fully painted nice looking ones. The ones with some blue on them were me and I never finished.

Trying to think about how I can finish them. Was thinking of maybe just doing a light airbrush of the fang over the black primer and then russ grey. Need to be real careful to not clog up detail though.

JNyGnzI.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    Purple
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

2ZzmPhM.png

Maybe seafoam green?

Hmm, I'll give it a test and see how I like it. I'll probably need to mix up my own shade.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I know contrast paints are supposed to be an easy way to paint things, but my first attempt at using them gave disappointing results.

I base coated (with a brush so did it twice to ensure coverage) some wraithguard last night then used some contrast paint and it looks poor. I tried to make sure stuff didn’t pool but I don’t know if this has led to the contrast layer being too thin.

Should I just be glooping lots of it on to the model and not worrying so much at evenly spreading it (if I have the time when I get home I’ll post a picture).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Purple
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I know contrast paints are supposed to be an easy way to paint things, but my first attempt at using them gave disappointing results.

I base coated (with a brush so did it twice to ensure coverage) some wraithguard last night then used some contrast paint and it looks poor. I tried to make sure stuff didn’t pool but I don’t know if this has led to the contrast layer being too thin.

Should I just be glooping lots of it on to the model and not worrying so much at evenly spreading it (if I have the time when I get home I’ll post a picture).

I have been using cultist to test the contrast paints and having to base with wraithbone because my models are primed black atm.

Lessons I have learned:

-Don't thin, if you do use the contrast medium never water. This is for effect not normal painting.
    -Get a good chunk on your brush and then you want to cover the area. Also I try to use a dry brush not a wet one one.
    -Shake those paints. Shake them a lot or the colors get weak and inconsistent.
    -For lighter colors you may need two coats/touch up.
    -They take forever to dry so don't judge the final color till its dry.
    -Sometimes if I put to much on, I clean and dry the brush to remove excess.
    -It should pool a little bit around the edges, details. This is where it is getting the color difference.

I will post the cultist squad when I get home. I love some of the paints, especially the flesh tones, but some are just okay. I don't feel they are a replacement but a tool to use along normal paints.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Wraithguard are a great contrast paint model. It does well on highly textured surfaces but on large flat surfaces (like what Wraithguard have lots of) it can't really do its thing of gathering in the cracks right and risks random blobby pooling.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I was inspired by the wraithguard models that appear in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fdXXDr7Gs&t=582s#fauxfullscreen

At about the 9min 44sec mark

I thought they looked rather neat

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    They do I did a combo of black templar. wraithbone and mephiston red on mine as it was kind of what I did on the 4 metal ones of old
    I will take a pic later as I am embarrassed about it

• Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I was inspired by the wraithguard models that appear in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fdXXDr7Gs&t=582s#fauxfullscreen

At about the 9min 44sec mark

I thought they looked rather neat

Probably not the first contrast models from the hat painter. From what I've seen they really need some experience to be fast and good looking on models like that. Also the Mengel article on warcom with has him using them a bit more like a glaze with the contrast medium for more control. I suspect that might be crucial for models with larger surfaces

• Options
    Personally I want to see more of the combo videos as the contrast paints are good for certain looks instead of doing a watered down paint then wash

This is why I want to see if I can do the Masque of the Veiled Path harlequins as it seems perfect for some of the yellows and greens
    As I know there is a book from when they did the painting guides from years ago
    57brtdque4j8.png
    But I feel this info would be extremely useful now instead of the vague pages I have found

I know GW when you ask them about it will push the harlequins videos they did
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TZ6hp1ZGs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospUJu2L2fA
    which is useful but not what I am looking for as what colors does the Veiled Path use? I know it's a ton of greens a yellows but what?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

2ZzmPhM.png

Maybe seafoam green?

Hmm, I'll give it a test and see how I like it. I'll probably need to mix up my own shade.

I think green could work really well, but I think Seafoam may be a bit bright.
    Could you make them look like oxidized copper (think Statue of Liberty green), maybe with a bit of the clean copper showing through? Could help with the diving suit look.

Alternatively, make them look like they're carved out of jade with a darker green basecoat and some sharp highlights. I think that could pop against the armor.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

2ZzmPhM.png

Maybe seafoam green?

I think green could work really well, but I think Seafoam may be a bit bright.
    Could you make them look like oxidized copper (think Statue of Liberty green), maybe with a bit of the clean copper showing through? Could help with the diving suit look.

Alternatively, make them look like they're carved out of jade with a darker green basecoat and some sharp highlights. I think that could pop against the armor.

I thought they were asking for a color suggestion for the decorative cloth bits like the loincloths some of the cultists wear? I was trying to think of a color that'd go well with the beige parts of their suits while also being suggestive of the ocean. If it's too bright, they could always use a darker shade of the same hue.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Well found a still motion look at the book
    https://youtu.be/WHtdr_HqDDw
    The Veiled Path is at 5.37 - 6:35

Still I did not know about the painting guides as my brother pointed out when I showed him the space wolf one that He's dead
    38e6oyg5a9ac.png
    As he said the chest is from an Iron hands techmarine I have a hazy memory of it but I don't know

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    No, that's just the regular techmarine model.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    No, that's just the regular techmarine model.

I see that now

This discussion has been closed.