As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    SLOW DOWWWNNN YOU GRAVEROBBIN BASTARD!
    STOP RIGHT THERE I HEAR THE CONSTABLE SCREAM

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Scary dawgs amirite?

https://youtu.be/0cfWlAl9tX0

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

I love this trend of using watermarked stock photos to make animated memes.

Stock photos are inherently silly, making them even more silly pleases me.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This is a repost of something I posted last year, but the guy who originally tweeted it (and I assume, the one who made it also?) has set his twitter to private or deleted the tweet, and I want to be able to find this again in the future because I think it's a genuinely good piece of horror, short as it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgQz8_UqnU

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

Definitely nails the feeling of an ominous portent

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Isn't it just a rotten clam?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Isn't it just a rotten clam?

It's meant to be unclear. The horror is in the pacing/ambiguity.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Mary Poppins Returns is on Netflix.

Spooky.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Alright "Also Ghostbusting" Thread. It is summer, which means I have time to do work on my proton pack before calls start picking up in the fall around October.

After doing, like, nothing last year on it since I forgot, this year I am biting the bullet and doing something about the speaker. I've never been totally happy with the sound on it. The effects themselves are good but the speaker is mounted inside the pack and puts the sounds out through holes I drilled in the aluminum pack board. I get some reverb and rattle when turned up due to this.

I plan to cut out the "grill" area and either mount the speaker from the outside of the pack or at least have nothing directly in front of the speaker anymore. Going to get a new metal saw blade for my dremel and cut out between the holes I previously drilled.

I also ordered a new speaker just in case as well as an updated sound board for the whole pack. It looks almost exactly the same except now it has an sd card slot so the sound effects can be replaced and changed on my own. Also the effects are supposedly higher quality.

I will keep you all updated on this riveting adventure in either improving my proton pack or completely destroying it. There is no middle ground.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Bustin'
    Bustin'
    Bustin'
    Bustin' makes me feel good

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seems kinda rude to post about bustin' in the ghost thread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ectoplasm.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is ectoplasm ghost snot or ghost splooge?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's closest to ghost sweat or mucus. It is supposedly generated by the entity existing in a dimension it does not belong in or passing back and forth through the physical space. It's sort of the pus or white blood cells that heal the wound between the mundane realm, Astral plane, Netherworld, etc and acts as a natural barrier to keep things separated.

Of course, some otherworldly creatures have found ways to generate their own to facilitate their passage into physical space, bring other things through, create portals, channel energy, or effect/animate physical objects if they don't have sufficient psychokinetic power to use that instead.

It's all very technical. I don't recommend touching it with your bare hands.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Toasters respond well to it though.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Ghostbusters 2 was all about the slime.

The writing was way better than the new one. The new one just had an angry nerd.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's closest to ghost sweat or mucus. It is supposedly generated by the entity existing in a dimension it does not belong in or passing back and forth through the physical space. It's sort of the pus or white blood cells that heal the wound between the mundane realm, Astral plane, Netherworld, etc and acts as a natural barrier to keep things separated.

Of course, some otherworldly creatures have found ways to generate their own to facilitate their passage into physical space, bring other things through, create portals, channel energy, or effect/animate physical objects if they don't have sufficient psychokinetic power to use that instead.

It's all very technical. I don't recommend touching it with your bare hands.

None of this makes me more comfortable with all of the ectoplasm seeping out from my bathtub drain.

• Options
    Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    Last night I was reading a horror manga and one chapter involved man-eating red sand at a beach. The end of the chapter mentions scientists discovering the red sand is made up of foraminifera. I looked up foraminifera on wikipedia to see if it's a real thing, and apparently it's a type of single-celled organism what lives in a shell. Wikipedia also says It sends ectoplasm out of holes in the shell to grab food and stuff.

So since they got ectoplasm I was wondering, are single-celled organisms microscopic ghosts? Are ghosts just huge amalgams of single-celled organisms?

• Options
    I don't know about the foraminifera, but it's wild that the author didn't use sea fleas instead. Tiny critters that swarm on larger creatures and, in some circumstances, cause thousands of pinprick wounds that won't stop bleeding due to the anticoagulant they inject.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I assume the author knew learning about the existence of foraminifera wouldn't scare me away from beaches whereas learning about the existence of actual ocean vampires would.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The first time I heard the term "ectoplasm" in a non-biology context I was very confused.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Was there any ectoplasm in EctoCooler?

Is. . .is that how it was made?

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Was there any ectoplasm in EctoCooler?

Is. . .is that how it was made?

jeat9an0lw58.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Up Job wrote: »
    Last night I was reading a horror manga and one chapter involved man-eating red sand at a beach. The end of the chapter mentions scientists discovering the red sand is made up of foraminifera. I looked up foraminifera on wikipedia to see if it's a real thing, and apparently it's a type of single-celled organism what lives in a shell. Wikipedia also says It sends ectoplasm out of holes in the shell to grab food and stuff.

So since they got ectoplasm I was wondering, are single-celled organisms microscopic ghosts? Are ghosts just huge amalgams of single-celled organisms?

What's the name of the manga, and would you recommend it?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Up Job wrote: »

What's the name of the manga, and would you recommend it?

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead

It's about a boy who is constantly getting caught up in supernatural stuff. His constant companion is the silent ghost of his childhood friend. There are recurring characters, but no real overarching plot. Most chapters are standalone spooky stories. It's not terribly scary and maybe kind of repetitive considering how long it's gone, but I like the art and the sort of, I don't know, light-hearted tone.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Update: I’ve cut the hole in the back plate using a big jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Now I need to get a new grinding bit for my dremel to smooth out the cut.

I also need to find a cheap speaker grill/cover to attach to the outside to cover up the ugly hole and then wait for the new speaker before reassembly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Instead of teaching my future children about hell Im just going to tell them that Naughty Kids have to go live in Australia.

Tiny sand fleas that bite you and you dont stop bleeding is fucking harrowing.

• Options
    It's a shame that the Amityville remake with Ryan Reynolds went so hard on the edgy shit and wandered so far afield from the original because last time I watched it, which was a couple years ago, I remember enjoying it and being engrossed in the movie based solely on the performances. Like pretty much everyone kills it in that movie, even the kids, but Ryan Reynolds is especially amazing in it. I feel like he's genuinely a good actor and just gets kinda ignored because he's so goofy, but between Amityville and Buried I've seen enough out of Ryan Reynolds to say he's probably the most underrated leading man in Hollywood.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    He's so ripped in that movie.

Don't you have kids and stuff, dude?

How do you have the time and energy to keep that bod so tight?

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

He is superhuman. Haven't you seen the Ryan Reynolds documentary Deadpool?

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Not gonna lie, Ryan Reynolds shirtless in PJs was a formative experience for young me. Horror movies are too sexy, in this TED talk,

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    When you can business expense a personal trainer and don't have a 9-5 gig, it's a lot easier to hunk up your dad bod.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    How's a carpenter or whatever he is in that movie with three kids gonna do that?

Huh?

He just took out a mortgage to buy a murder house and he hasn't stress eaten outside of a cheat-day.

• Options
    He's completely committed to staying shredded and no murder house is going to stop him. It's like he's possessed or something.

• Options
    It's all that chopping wood. In pajama pants.

Hey remember that part in blade three where he's all chained to the floor and you can almost see his stuff? Buy some pants that fit Ryan Reynolds!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The Furry Trap by Josh Simmons is a collection of short comic horror stories about ugly, obscene, absurd and arguably gratuitous scenarios, but for some reason they all felt really earnest and genuinely frightening rather than 2edgy to me. The depictions of Kafka-esque worlds and threats that are awful, dangerous and disgusting just because they are really creates a sense of hopelessness and dread more effectively than normal settings that then go wrong. The art is clean and not too detailed, sketchy or dark, which just heightens the contrast with the material.

Absalon on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Buy some pants that fit Ryan Reynolds!
    No.

Don't.

• Options
    Just think the idea for ectoplasm had to come from somewhere.