As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If it's the elixer of life why did the mummy die?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    If it's the elixer of life why did the mummy die?

what do you think the elixir of life is made from

it's mummies, IDIOT

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's like a tequila worm, you need it for the drink but eating it is optional unless you're in Tijuana.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That is kind of what happens to human bodies when they aren't embalmed or salted like mummies were. All the organics just kind of slough off and you get a gooey paste that turns to liquid as the bacteria digest it.

That's straight up liquefied human body with a light seasoning of poop.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I could open that safe. Who are these coward locksmiths not willing to use the skeleton key?

The Bosch 7" angle grinder.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    That is kind of what happens to human bodies when they aren't embalmed or salted like mummies were. All the organics just kind of slough off and you get a gooey paste that turns to liquid as the bacteria digest it.

IIRC, that particular sarcophagus was flooded by a local sewage line. which is why they called it sewer water.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

IIRC, that particular sarcophagus was flooded by a local sewage line. which is why they called it sewer water.

even better

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

So more of a poop marinade then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    More like a deconstructed poop beschemel.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Goddamn do I love a good time capsule. "oh hey we found this old safe buried under what used to be a bank in Wyoming but all it had in it was some legal documents and old newspapers" and I'm over here like "ARE THERE PICTURES!?"

• Options
    I think it was, like, the first day of my junior year our English teacher had us write a short story in class and then we put our stories in a time capsule that we opened on the last day of class, to evaluate how much better our writing skills had gotten during the year. For most people, it was pretty interesting and they thought they had improved. My story about The Fart Detective was almost entirely the same even though I had forgotten about writing the first one entirely.

In case anyone was wondering, the guilty party was He Who Smelt It.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If the Roman Empire had access to cell phones and all the dating apps we do, would there be more, the same amount, or fewer dick pics taken and sent?

They didn't have any of those, and they still managed to invent the dick pic.

Such was their determination to show off their dicks, they covered the walls lining the streets with pictures and descriptions of their dicks.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    If the Roman Empire had access to cell phones and all the dating apps we do, would there be more, the same amount, or fewer dick pics taken and sent?

Such was their determination to show off their dicks, they covered the walls lining the streets with pictures and descriptions of their dicks.

I wanna build a statue of this general/noble but I don't want to spend a ton of time carving the whole thing so I'm just gonna get the two most important parts: his head and his junk

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I wanna build a statue of this general/noble but I don't want to spend a ton of time carving the whole thing so I'm just gonna get the two most important parts: his head and his junk

Ah, the Herma.
    "This is an important roadway, Claudius. How shall we mark it?"
    "We shall mark it with both heads!"

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

They also made dick charms called (BTW NSFW) fascinus. They were everywhere. People would hang them over baby's cribs and have their infant sons wear these winged phalluses around their necks. There are plenty of pictures in the link, and anyway this is getting more into history than science.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We're coming up on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.

At the moment we're 5 hours away from 50 years since the Saturn V liftoff.

There's an absolute wealth of documents and materials from the NASA archives available, but if you want to follow along the mission in real time, see video, photos, audio feeds - the following website has you covered:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Time started when I was born, duh.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Where Did Eukaryotic Cells Come From? - A Journey Into Endosymbiotic Theory
    https://youtu.be/4LhBZ2H5SwM
    10:01
    1.8 billion years ago, a cell ate another cell, but it didn't digest it, and without that happening, we would not exist. This week we explore the origins of eukaryotic cells and ask the question, "Are our cells more than ourselves?"

• Options
    What even are we? What holds our consciousness? If we ever do a successful brain transplant, which identity goes with which body? And going even deeper than that...

What even are birds?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    birds are dinosaurs, next question

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    your brain goop holds your consciousness is what the current thought is right?

I can't imagine "you" would be different other than needing to learn how to use your muscles again as your brain remaps the body to the new nerve locations

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tynnan on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

true facts: nobody knows. But it's likely to be a lot more complex and distributed than that.

• Options
    the human thoughts are stored in the balls

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    the human thoughts are stored in the balls

That helps explain dick pics

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

true facts: nobody knows. But it's likely to be a lot more complex and distributed than that.

Got a lot of dang old neurons in your gut. How much does the activity of these neurons contribute to your sense of self?

m325vf7pdnpp.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Based on how much my personality changes when I'm hungry, I'd say a lot

• Options

eyEDQMm.jpg

• Options
    ...YAY!

SECOND BRAIN!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    About 90% of the body’s serotonin is located in signaling cells in the gut. They detect food and release the serotonin to trigger peristaltic movement.

• Options

your gut flora also makes you crave certain foods

someone who eats healthier will crave salads and celery

someone who eats shittier will crave pizza and hamburgers

The weirdest part? Those cravings can be changed with a poop transplant. Not only that, if you poop transplant from a healthy person to an unhealthy person, the unhealthy person becomes healthier over time. I don't think I've read anything on unhealthy->healthy doing the opposite though.

Bodies are fucking bizarre

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So that's why everyone keeps telling me to listen to my gut.
    I guess I can put away this stethoscope.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I suppose trying to make a healthy gut less healthy would be an unethical experiment
    maybe? I guess?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I suppose trying to make a healthy gut less healthy would be an unethical experiment
    maybe? I guess?

I think there's a group of doctors trying to get poop transplants approved by the FDA for weight loss at the moment but I'm having a hard time locating where I read that a year or so ago.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    maybe? I guess?

I think there's a group of doctors trying to get poop transplants approved by the FDA for weight loss at the moment but I'm having a hard time locating where I read that a year or so ago.

There were a couple recent cases where transplant recipients got resistant e coli infections, one of which was fatal. Not the unhealthy you were talking about though.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06/killer-poop-fecal-transplant-patients-death-prompts-fda-to-push-out-warning/

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.