As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10 minutes is too long to not have a [MOVIES] thread

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Superman Returns has so many problems, but Brandon Routhe is not one of them.

Dude was a good Supes in an absolute butt film.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i like brandon routh

but he's no chris reeves

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think the closest you get to an outright bad live action Superman casting is Tom Welling and even then he isn't that bad

Everyone else is either fantastic or a great casting but in a bad movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    though jimmy olsen is played by the kid from jungle 2 jungle in returns....

um excuse me I believe you mean Jam from Detroit Rock City

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    routh sleepwalked through returns, but I'd put that more on the direction of the movie and also the fact that returns was a fucking snoozefest except spacey

and well....

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    though jimmy olsen is played by the kid from jungle 2 jungle in returns....

um excuse me I believe you mean Jam from Detroit Rock City

also that!

he's had a very good career, shorty!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Basically any cinematic cast for Superman has to compete against the cast of The New Adventures of Lois & Clark.

And that is going to be a hard battle for the movie side...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    routh was better as the atom

• Options
    if i had to rank the tv supermen:

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    that guy from the seventies superman tv musical "it's a bird.. it's a plane...it's superman!"
    john newtown

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    i know it's cheating to include the musical guy, but i really wanted to dunk on how bad john newton was in the first season of the superboy tv show

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    how did I not know there was a Superboy TV show

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

huge rights battle kept it from syndication for decades

it didn't get a home video release until a few years ago

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Natalie Portman was probably my first and still quite possibly my only celebrity crush.

So I'm good with Natalie Portman in whatever.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The best superman movie is the Man of Steel trailer.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    that guy from the seventies superman tv musical "it's a bird.. it's a plane...it's superman!"
    john newtown

No George Reeves?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    john newtown

No George Reeves?

he is unequivocally the best, so the others are simply "superman not played by george reeves"

• Options

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    john newtown

No George Reeves?

in between welling and hoechlin

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My favorite Superman movie is the part of Man of Steel where bearded Superman was just quietly saving people.

I'd have watched 30 hours of that.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
  • Options
    I decided I was finally gonna sit down and watch The Breadwinner but nope I made it about 10 minutes in and haha I do not think I can handle watching the Breadwinner.

Song of the Sea fucked me right up and that was a heartfelt and magical tail of Irish myths and legends.

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    john newtown

No George Reeves?

I wanna be in between welling and hoechlin

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    EDIT: NM

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I decided I was finally gonna sit down and watch The Breadwinner but nope I made it about 10 minutes in and haha I do not think I can handle watching the Breadwinner.

Song of the Sea fucked me right up and that was a heartfelt and magical tail of Irish myths and legends.

There’s no possible way that can be an easy and/or dry-eyed watch.

Hell, they get me to tear up just watching Puffin Rock, and that’s a lighthearted show for toddlers.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm sad the 'pair the Cats trailer with different music' thing seems to have died off before it got to the Sicario soundtrack.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, if Disney really wanted to get weird, they could do a live action remake of The Aristocats in the style of 2019 Cats.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Fuck me I ate something to try and fortify myself and I'm still having to watch this in 10 minute chunks.

I have absolutely no idea why this is tearing me up so badly. It's like its precision engineered to turn me into a blubbering dingus.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm sad the 'pair the Cats trailer with different music' thing seems to have died off before it got to the Sicario soundtrack.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, if Disney really wanted to get weird, they could do a live action remake of The Aristocats in the style of 2019 Cats.

oh lord, that one racist bit would be even more ill-advised

edit- wait that was lady and the tramp, crisis averted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG5mOd8Ubsk

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »

Oh no it is very much also in The Aristocats. Like it's an entire recurring character.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Maybe that's why my memory twinged on that movie, too. I haven't seen either one of those in probably 15 years.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    siam doesn't exist anymore ergo that scene can't be racist

that's just science right there

• Options

dean cain
    gerard christopher
    tom welling
    tyler hoechlin
    john newtown

No George Reeves?

I wanna be in between welling and hoechlin

back of the line

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I am gonna harp on about this for a minute though because I think this is really important. I'm gonna spoil it because I'm kind of rambly right now
    Diversity in story telling fucking matters so much. Seeing a beautifully animated film voiced entirely by Afghan actors and steeped in that culture is important. Having movies made by black, or Asian or Middle Eastern directors and writers is important. There is an entire world of stories out there to be told and lessons to be learned and we have done such a terrible job of supporting people who aren't white guys tell those stories.

As a white guy everything has always been for me and I can't imagine what it would be like to be a kid from somewhere, like Afghanistan, seeing themselves represented on the big screen, seeing their culture represented and celebrated and the stories and legends and tall tales they've been told brought to life for the first time and how powerful and validating that must be.

Fuck we've done such a bad job.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    After having seen it a couple of times now I kind of love the Cats trailer. It's going full out gonzo bananas and I'm here for it. Great singing, the dancing looks amazing, and they are fully committed to the bit. I want this to succeed because I am an unironic and unabashed fan of weird stuff.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well you likely were a toddler when it aired

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfCKETmbozA

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Oh no it is very much also in The Aristocats. Like it's an entire recurring character.

warning: racist caricature inside
    2%2BAristocats6.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options

warning: racist caricature inside
    2%2BAristocats6.jpg

oh no.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I definitely agree with this sentiment, I think Favreau’s directing choices in this film are somewhat confusing. The performances are largely pretty good, but I’m not sure why on Earth “we want something that could really happen” seemed to be their main style note.

This discussion has been closed.